Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unsupervised Toadler destroys over 100K worth of antiques

Posted by freya 
March 12, 2018

And according to moo it is the fault of her family for having those pesky antique out in the open, not the moo's fault for not supervising her toadler. She is asking random strangers social media to assuage her guilt. If I were her family that experienced the loss, this would just make it much worse.

Can a 2 year old understand the word "no'? No, so it is to the parents to supervise. The 5 year old who lives in the house is old enough to understand the word "no."

I have mostly low value but loved antiques and there is no way in hell any kid will be allowed in my house.
Re: Unsupervised Toadler destroys over 100K worth of antiques
March 13, 2018
Eh, it's not as if the child went rampaging through the house smashing things. All he did was grab a remote lying on a table. Who puts valuables on top of a TV cabinet anyway?
March 13, 2018
Oh, lovely. Disrespect & destruction of irreplaceable history on top of disrespect & destruction of property. There could have also been personal value to the owner. All that topped off by yet another ineffectual, blame deflecting breeder & their future selfish asshole that doesn't appreciate anything or have any respect for anyone outside their insular bubble of snowflakism.soapbox cursingangry flipping offbull shitting
March 13, 2018
I am an antique / vintage collector and have quite a few expensive pieces all throughout my house. Some of them are very delicate porcelain figurines up in the hundreds of dollars. Most of my things are in safely tucked in glass cabinets, but others are out where I can enjoy and admire them. When I dust and clean them, I do it myself when my husband isn't home, just to avoid accidents.

That being said, I don't think this was a malicious act. I hate to side with the moo on this one, but it doesn't seem like the toadler did anything particular horrible in this case. It was more the negligence of the owner, putting these expensive things in a place where something like that could easily happen - either by a kid or an adult. Why didn't the antique owner put the remote away somewhere? If I had my beauties in a place where something like that could happen, I would be sure to hide it.

When I first read the thread title, I actually thought some raging brat was running around and smashing things. It isn't the case.
March 13, 2018
mumofsixbirds

That being said, I don't think this was a malicious act. I hate to side with the moo on this one, but it doesn't seem like the toadler did anything particular horrible in this case. It was more the negligence of the owner, putting these expensive things in a place where something like that could easily happen - either by a kid or an adult. Why didn't the antique owner put the remote away somewhere? If I had my beauties in a place where something like that could happen, I would be sure to hide it.

When I first read the thread title, I actually thought some raging brat was running around and smashing things. It isn't the case.

Exactly. I assumed it was the usual feral toadler/negligent moo combo, but it was the kind of thing that could happen to anyone, adult or child. That button could have been accidentally pushed by anyone just moving the remote out of the way.
March 13, 2018
Moo should have supervised the little puke, knowing toddlers paw at everything & are too stupid to be reasoned with. With the way she blame deflects, she is going to continue to do that when the parasite is definitely old enough to know better. Even then, they can learn basic "don't touch that", by way of an ass swat, so it being a toddler is barely an excuse. The owner shouldn't have to worry about bratproofing their house just because of ineffectual, blame deflecting breeder trash & their parasites.
March 13, 2018
Even my husband is prone to breaking things and he's an adult. My point was that if these antiques had so much meaning to the owner, then why place them somewhere they could easily get broken?
March 14, 2018
The woman does say the owner also has a five year old child, I'm assuming that either this chid might get into them if placed anywhere else, or the child has been well told 'Don't touch without asking' about the remote (or anything not theirs.) 'Unforseen events' might be the owner expecting this mother to have trained up her child in the same way, only to be sadly mistaken (which seems to be happening more and more these days.)
March 15, 2018
I am with jojo and m6b on this one.
March 17, 2018
If my parrot knows the meaning of “no” (and actually listens), that destructive hellspawn definitely should.
March 17, 2018
Destructive? All the kid did was to pick a remote. He didn't deliberately hurl the antiques to the floor while the Moo gazed adoringly at her little scamp.

Who puts valuables on top of a cabinet that rises and tilts with the push of a button?
March 17, 2018
Exactly my point. Also, Conner understands the word "no" and he will back off of whatever he's doing the minute he hears it. Toadlers? Not so smart.
March 19, 2018
JoJo
Destructive? All the kid did was to pick a remote. He didn't deliberately hurl the antiques to the floor while the Moo gazed adoringly at her little scamp.

Who puts valuables on top of a cabinet that rises and tilts with the push of a button?

I thought of this as well. However, when I was a tyke (back before dinosaurs roamed the earth) my parents always told me to look with my eyes, not with my hands, and if I did reach out and touch something that didn't belong to me, I got my hand smacked.
April 19, 2018
skyeyes
JoJo

I thought of this as well. However, when I was a tyke (back before dinosaurs roamed the earth) my parents always told me to look with my eyes, not with my hands, and if I did reach out and touch something that didn't belong to me, I got my hand smacked.

Pity someone didn't teacher their little shit with a good hard smack to the hand before this. I was taught not to touch things that don't belong to me.
April 19, 2018
JoJo

Perhaps this little shit should have known by now: "if it isn't yours, don't touch it. Why should it be on someone else to have to constantly kid-proof?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login