Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Children's noise in Toronto leads to "fierce debate"

Posted by yurble 
Children's noise in Toronto leads to "fierce debate"
March 19, 2018
Neighbors complaining about shrieking child noises has led to a debate in Toronto... but only because the breeders are trying to use the media to shame the person who left them an anonymous note.

I bet it was absolutely dire for anyone to pursue any kind of confrontation at all.
Re: Children's noise in Toronto leads to "fierce debate"
March 19, 2018
Of course the quiet person who isn't causing the problem is the villain. Unfortunately it seems that inconsiderate breeders are now in the majority so if quiet people want to enjoy their homes, they can't. My neighborhood is generally very quiet, but we still hear shrieking in the summer from neighbors' kids and visiting grandsprogs. I have even gone outside and given brats the stinkeye, and it works pretty well.
March 19, 2018

“This is very disruptive whether we are outside or inside and interrupts whatever we are doing, be it TV, reading or napping.” Closing the windows did not help mask the sound, it added.

Ah yes, the "quietly fussing" baby shrieking bloody murder in the airplane or the "laughter of children" that is so loud you hear it 2 blocks away, even with your windows closed and the radio on in your house.

When will breeders learn that their rights end where mine begin? As a homeowner I have a right to the enjoyment of my property in peace and quiet if I so choose. Your kids can play outside. Nobody is questioning reasonably behaved children playing. But if people cannot even enjoy their home with the windows closed because the sound your howler monkeys make is shattering the window panes, then the problem is YOU, and not your neighbors.
March 19, 2018
We had a girl sprog that lived behind us for a while. She and her siblings? would play outside and this particular sprog had the most obnoxious, piercing shriek. My DH is generally pretty laid back but even he was like doG in Heaven, what on Earth is that shrieking?

They were probably 150 yards away and we only noticed it when we were outside, thank Todd.

But it's this:

Nobody is questioning reasonably behaved children playing. But if people cannot even enjoy their home with the windows closed because the sound your howler monkeys make is shattering the window panes, then the problem is YOU, and not your neighbors.

Aside from the obvious, i.e. keeping your kids from being neighborhood nuisances, one would think parents would want to teach their kids the difference between normal playing and shrieking bloody murder.

When my DH and I first heard the girl sprog, it was enough to get our attention, but after we heard it once we tried to tune it out. If the sprog were truly hurt or in danger, nobody could tell the difference.

I guess the parents tune it out and they are surprised when they "just look away for a second" and their kids are missing.
March 19, 2018
For me, screaming sprogs is more than a nuisance. I can get disabling migraines triggered by the howler monkeys. I fantasize about doing real violence to the tiny bastards.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
There shouldn’t be a debate. If your brats are disturbing other people, you need to tell them to stfu. Why is it, that if I were to play music and it was heard 3 blocks away, I’d get in trouble, but my neighbors kids scream 3 blocks away and they don’t? It pisses me off. I got a new job and I’d like to relax in the evenings, not listen to the ear-splitting shrieks of feral brats. I’m seriously considering going to the president of the HOA. I pay to live here, those shits don’t. My question is why, just WHY? Why do they feel the need to shriek, and why don’t their parents discipline them?

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
March 20, 2018
I truly don't remember children shrieking non-stop like that when I was a child. I do, however, have memories of someone's mother yelling, "knock it off", "keep it down", or "stop screaming or I'll give you something to scream about" whenever we got too loud.
March 20, 2018
JoJo
I truly don't remember children shrieking non-stop like that when I was a child. I do, however, have memories of someone's mother yelling, "knock it off", "keep it down", or "stop screaming or I'll give you something to scream about" whenever we got too loud.

And I think therein lies the problem. I think kids were just as tempted to be screamy before, but parents were more likely to be annoyed by their own offspring and do something to make them knock it off.

If people inside their own homes are complaining about your kids' noise levels, YOU are indeed the problem. Discipline your brats.
March 20, 2018
randomcfchick

And I think therein lies the problem. I think kids were just as tempted to be screamy before, but parents were more likely to be annoyed by their own offspring and do something to make them knock it off.

If people inside their own homes are complaining about your kids' noise levels, YOU are indeed the problem. Discipline your brats.

This is applied to Tards as well. If your Tard can't understand "Shut up" he/she doesn't belong in the neighborhood.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 20, 2018
craftyzits
For me, screaming sprogs is more than a nuisance. I can get disabling migraines triggered by the howler monkeys. I fantasize about doing real violence to the tiny bastards.

I'm subject to migraines as well, fortunately not triggered by noises, but the cheerful shrieks of toddlers are so piercing they turn a headache into a throbbing headache, and feeling okay into the start of a headache. It isn't just the volume, it's the pitch. It's agonizing and it's too high for noise-cancelling headphones to properly block.
March 20, 2018
yurble
craftyzits

I'm subject to migraines as well, fortunately not triggered by noises, but the cheerful shrieks of toddlers are so piercing they turn a headache into a throbbing headache, and feeling okay into the start of a headache. It isn't just the volume, it's the pitch. It's agonizing and it's too high for noise-cancelling headphones to properly block.

There was a number of times that I had to block out neighbour noise with double ear blockage (in ear earplugs AND construction grade ear muffs)
Twice I had to use three methods of ear blockage (in ear earplugs, silicon pods over the canal and construction grade ear muffs)

It is now my belief that basic civility and consideration are becoming more rare.
March 21, 2018
cassia
yurble
craftyzits

There was a number of times that I had to block out neighbour noise with double ear blockage (in ear earplugs AND construction grade ear muffs)
Twice I had to use three methods of ear blockage (in ear earplugs, silicon pods over the canal and construction grade ear muffs)

It is now my belief that basic civility and consideration are becoming more rare.

What burns me is that these sort of measures aren't even effective, and yet people will blithely suggest you use them instead of tackling the underlying problem. I have earplug-style headphones (they aren't earbuds, they are actually made of material like earplugs, and supposed to be more effective than noise-cancelling against high pitches) and with those jammed into my ears, playing music at a moderate volume, I can still hear children shrieking and wailing on planes. And even if they did work, it isn't healthy for your ears to wear earplugs all the time, that can cause wax to build up.

I completely agree with you - people are fucking jerks. Last week I had a long train trip and so I picked the quiet compartment. I wasn't in there long before some guy started talking on his phone. I confronted him, and he just ignored me and continued his conversation. He was joined by some giggling teenage girls and after that some elderly women joined and started shouting at each other. The seats in that compartment are generally reserved, so people would have deliberately requested seats in the quiet area...so that they could chatter? I hate people.
March 21, 2018
yurble
What burns me is that these sort of measures aren't even effective, and yet people will blithely suggest you use them instead of tackling the underlying problem. I have earplug-style headphones (they aren't earbuds, they are actually made of material like earplugs, and supposed to be more effective than noise-cancelling against high pitches) and with those jammed into my ears, playing music at a moderate volume, I can still hear children shrieking and wailing on planes. And even if they did work, it isn't healthy for your ears to wear earplugs all the time, that can cause wax to build up.

I completely agree with you - people are fucking jerks. Last week I had a long train trip and so I picked the quiet compartment. I wasn't in there long before some guy started talking on his phone. I confronted him, and he just ignored me and continued his conversation. He was joined by some giggling teenage girls and after that some elderly women joined and started shouting at each other. The seats in that compartment are generally reserved, so people would have deliberately requested seats in the quiet area...so that they could chatter? I hate people.

I keep earbuds in my purse in case of lil screamers. Usually, the buds and music can blunt the noise so I won't have a migraine attack and end up on the floor wherever the fuck I am and out of it. Yes, my migraines are that severe, that sometimes they act like seizures.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 23, 2018
randomcfchick
JoJo

Unless it was in a park or playground kids weren't allowed to scream. Backyards, front yards and streets were a big no no because it was inconsiderate and jarring to all people. Boy that cried wolf and all. Sad to see this is not longer the case.

Also, smokers! What happened to keeping smoking confined to your own home and not endangering your neighbors? Now the jerks smoke outside and if you live within 300 feet of them and open your windows when the weather is nice then you end up with a big helping of second hand smoke. Buy one of those vaporizers already, at least it somewhat contains the exhaust.
March 24, 2018
freya
Also, smokers! What happened to keeping smoking confined to your own home and not endangering your neighbors? Now the jerks smoke outside and if you live within 300 feet of them and open your windows when the weather is nice then you end up with a big helping of second hand smoke. Buy one of those vaporizers already, at least it somewhat contains the exhaust.

If they have pets (or kids), they really shouldn't be smoking inside though. But I agree: I hate the smell of smoke wafting into my house just because I want the window open. Can't they switch to e-cigs already and stop polluting the air?
March 29, 2018
freya

Unless it was in a park or playground kids weren't allowed to scream.

Even in playgrounds, kids didn't have nil limitations to shriek uncontrollably and endlessly at the top of their lungs, there was usually a minder who would temper it after a while. Now there's absolutely no tempering, and the brats start shrieking the nanosecond they are let out of their wrangler's mitts, and continue until they are wheeled away.

My OH is a creature of habit (and incidentally has concrete armour for brat behaviour), and likes to occasionally go to a food court in a blue-collar shopping center, after doing our semi-regular stock up from Costco. Some genius designer decided to shove a jungle-jim actually inside the food court, so that parental units can release their methed-out banshee monkeys onto everyone else - avoiding any parental responsibility, while they shovel greasy takeaway into their bottomless pie holes. Yep, the banshees start shrieking the minute they hit the floor, and it increases in crescendo when the others join in, bouncing around like ping-pong balls. Nothing is ever done to get them to shut their traps. Hell, they're not even rug rats, as I swear there was a tween or even a young teen crouched down in it, doing the same. It's actually quite amazing that they still have non-parental patrons, as the noise is enough to keep even the denizens of hell away.
March 29, 2018
Unless someone's on fire, there is NO reason for the continuous shrieking. There is no excuse for the God-awful whistle register screaming, either, under ANY circumstances.

I grew up in apartment buildings my whole life, and was a very quiet kid. In fact, most of the kids were fairly quiet, but that's because the manager of the building wouldn't allow certain types of noises. I'm a quiet person now, because I can't stand noise of any kind, except for my birds.

I learned not to howl like a spider monkey on crack, and I don't get why breeders allow their kids to do this. It isn't fair to the majority of people and nobody wants to hear it. I'm sure if the situation was reversed, breeders would be upset. For example, if they have a fresh loaf that's napping, and a bunch of kids are screaming and waking it up all the time. I'm sure if they were negatively impacted, something would get done. Because it's adults being disrupted in this situation, we are basically told to "put up and shut up" even though we aren't the ones causing the problem.
March 30, 2018
mumofsixbirds
Unless someone's on fire, there is NO reason for the continuous shrieking. There is no excuse for the God-awful whistle register screaming, either, under ANY circumstances.

I grew up in apartment buildings my whole life, and was a very quiet kid. In fact, most of the kids were fairly quiet, but that's because the manager of the building wouldn't allow certain types of noises. I'm a quiet person now, because I can't stand noise of any kind, except for my birds.

I learned not to howl like a spider monkey on crack, and I don't get why breeders allow their kids to do this. It isn't fair to the majority of people and nobody wants to hear it. I'm sure if the situation was reversed, breeders would be upset. For example, if they have a fresh loaf that's napping, and a bunch of kids are screaming and waking it up all the time. I'm sure if they were negatively impacted, something would get done. Because it's adults being disrupted in this situation, we are basically told to "put up and shut up" even though we aren't the ones causing the problem.

I grew up around a lot of Native American kids, and they never shrieked. Native Americans tend to be light-voiced anyway, but I can imagine what it might have been like to have a shrieker in a tipi when there were enemies about. If Native Americans can teach their kids from a young age not to shriek, so can Susy Suburbia.
True. I think it’s just this last generation of suburban parents too. I am 22 and have spent like 95% of my life in the suburbs. I never did that. I played outside, sure, but I never screeched like that. I mostly played “imagination games” with my niece and when I was a little older {9-14} I played video games. I think it’s a generational problem. My parents are baby boomers so they actually had expectations from the kids about how to behave, especially around other people. The current generation of brats, being raised by the children of baby boomers {gen x? Or is it Z?} are really awful. I used to work in an ice cream shop and the amount of high pitches shriekeds and “I want I want I want” made me want to jump off a bridge. Young parents don’t seem to give a damn. Their kids could set the store on fire, and the brats STILL would be allowed $5-$8 ice creams {because the kids always want cones and sprinkles.} wtf. I don’t want kids, I don’t like them. But if I had them I wouldn’t buy them ice cream after a shrieking fit, and I’d smack them if they kept it up. Isn’t it funny how CF people understand parenting better than parents? Oh well. That will never be my life. Bed made lie breeders.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
April 08, 2018
“Gotta get the kids into the fresh air,” she wrote on Facebook. “I have to think of them above all else, and they need to get outside.”

If she can't stand them in her own house, why does she think other people have to put up with them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login