Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there safe BC?

Is there safe BC?
April 07, 2018
My periods have gotten worse in the last 4 years or so. Is there any safe birth control? I don’t want an IUD or anything like /that/. I’ve been told that oral contraceptives can give you cancer, so I’m a bit weary of those. Still, they seem like the best option. My friend and I were thinking a bout the arm implant, but I was reading the side effects and I’m not ok with them. Among others, they included heart attack, stroke, heavy bleeding, painful periods, partial or complete blindness, something too disgusting to say here, and the implant moving around in your body. Is there a safe method of birth control? I feel like a hysterectomy would be good because then the whole organ gets tossed and I’m gaurenteed not to have a period, but idk if I can find anyone to do an elective hysterectomy, or if I could afford it.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
Re: Is there safe BC?
April 07, 2018
Talk to your doctor. r/childfree has a list of CF friendly doctors on their sidebar for sterilization. Planned Parenthood is also a good place to go for non-judgemental birth control and sterilization, if you're in the USA. There is Marie Stopes in the UK.

Having bad periods suddenly is usually a sign of uterus issues. If you have fibroids, then insurance covers a hysterectomy for that problem. The best solution would be to talk to a gynocologist.
April 07, 2018
I second consulting with your doctor. Everyone with a uterus occasionally has a period from hell, but if it's a pattern then there could be some issues going on.

My experience with Planned Parenthood was pretty positive. There's no conflict of interest (most GYNs are also OBs, and aren't entirely neutral about sterilization), as their entire business is built around helping people avoid unwanted pregnancies. When I've used their services they were always respectful and matter-of-fact about options, including sterilization.

Hope you get to the root of the matter and get a good solution.
April 07, 2018
If you are entirely sure that you never want children, I would urge you to look into a tubal or ablation.

I did both and it was one of the best decisions of my life.
April 08, 2018
I fought (needlessly) hard for my tubal ligation at age 36. I could never tolerate the pill as it increased my migraines and I grew ill. (Nauseated all the time for months.) I would have considered an IUD because it had fewer hormones. The problem with Depot is that if I reacted badly, I would have been stuck. Tubal ligation made the most sense to me and it was wonderful. There is a reason that sterilization is the most popular form of birth control--it's just a shame that people without children have to fight so hard for it.
April 08, 2018
I went the hysterectomy rout, but I had VERY heavy periods and PCOS. Thankfully, I had a good doc, even though he was OBGYN as well as a gynecologist, and I saw a pair of tiny twins in his office. The surgery was covered by Medicare because of all the problems I had.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
April 09, 2018
I use the pill (Mercilon) because it keeps my endometriosis under control. I never had any issues with it, on the contrary quite many benefits also aesthetic ones but if i didn't have this disease i would choose sterilization. It's just tiring popping a pill everyday and i don't know how my body will react in the long term. As birth control, it functioned perfectly, never had any pregnancies...but also endometriosis might contribute to my infertility.
April 11, 2018
What part of the world are you in? Im in the northeast and found a doctor who sterilized me when i was 27 years old. smiling smiley.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login