Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is wrong with farm country?

Posted by cfdavep 
What is wrong with farm country?
May 05, 2018
Stupid Iowa:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iowa-governor-says-shell-sign-6-week-abortion-182502671.html

There is some teen moo in the pic hanging on to her baybee for dear life. Ugh. Farmers are always extremely conservative and once the pro-liars turn the country into the dark ages in the red states completely they will start chipping away at the blue states.

What is it with farmers and rural areas? Is it because of their "12 baby" pasts where you needed a huge team to run a farm?
Re: What is wrong with farm country?
May 05, 2018
I don't know if pro-liar way is coming from ordinary people. In most cases, something this extreme is coming from a higher up who tries gain more control or make a name for themselves. Hitler was a pro-liar and so was Stalin...
May 05, 2018
People have gotten more retarded as the years go by. Pretty soon, we're going to be living in the same situation as the book "Make Room, Make Room!" the inspiration for the movie "Soylent Green".

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
May 05, 2018
I'm not surprised...Iowa is one of the most backward states in the Union. They are last in animal welfare....yet feti and clumps of human cells are holy.

DH has relatives there. RWNJs all the way.
May 05, 2018
There's a farm nearby to us that we drive past to go over to the next town. In the front, facing the highway, is a huge sign that says, "Choose Life" It is annoying.
May 05, 2018
mumofsixbirds
There's a farm nearby to us that we drive past to go over to the next town. In the front, facing the highway, is a huge sign that says, "Choose Life" It is annoying.

I want to see that vandalized by vegans.
May 05, 2018
There seems to be something deep in their psyche's that says anything "planted" must come to fruitition.

I find the horse world is like that also unless it is the very rich dressage people
May 05, 2018
yurble
mumofsixbirds

bouncing smileys Thanks for the laugh. I needed that! bouncing smileys
May 05, 2018
cfdavep
Farmers are always extremely conservative and once the pro-liars turn the country into the dark ages in the red states completely they will start chipping away at the blue states.

They've already started their attack on the blue states: the elimination/capping of the SALT taxes for 2018, and the requirement that the census must have citizenship questions is aimed at blue state immigrant communities, because they will under-represent themselves out of fear, thus reducing blue state representation in Congress.

It's already happening.
May 06, 2018
yurble
mumofsixbirds

That is awesome.

Having lived way too many years in rural midwestern America and having a lot of contact with it now, I can tell you what my general experience/perception is, and it fits with what you're all saying. They value undereducation and suspect intelligence. They suspect outsiders. They protect their own, even if their own are lowlifes. They put their children to work (like, serious work, handling farm equipment, driving tractors) as soon as they can...I knew of first and second graders who were doing fieldhand work. This is dangerous stuff (a lot of old farmers are missing at least fingers, if not whole arms), but child labor laws don't protect kids if they're working for their parents, right? Like sexual assault, the penalty is much lower if you grow your own victims. They keep their farms afloat with government subsidies but vote Republican. They are devout "good Christians," but anyone who's not a white Christian (or, sometimes, not male) is not necessarily safe around them.

They also intermarried, though they would insist they weren't related (sorry, if your surname is super rare and there are multiple families in a 10-mile radius of each other who share it, yes, you're related)...and there were an unusually high number of retarded kids. Wonder why.
May 06, 2018
kittehpeoples
This is dangerous stuff (a lot of old farmers are missing at least fingers, if not whole arms), but child labor laws don't protect kids if they're working for their parents, right?

My understanding is that OSHA guidelines for general industry do not apply to farms or to businesses that employ fewer than two people. Also, teens can work on a farm at a much younger age with working papers than in a factory, which seems crazy to me. Kitteh is right when mentioning all the farmers missing fingers and arms--it can be very dangerous work, where just a second of inattention can cause a tractor to roll over or an arm to get pulled into a chopping blade. I'd hazard a guess that kids aren't considered employees of a family farm, which is probably why you'll see preteens driving tractors, baling hay, and harvesting crops.
May 06, 2018
That's right. My mom has told me her family had 12 kids because her parents needed kids on the farm because they could not afford to hire anybody. I say, that might be the thinking in Kansas, why hire people when you can just create your own employees?

Meanwhile, I have the theory that the great depression might have been over a lot sooner than it was if people out west had much smaller families. Farm owners would have been forced to - oh gd forbid - hire people (even if it meant barter for food if the farmer didn't have money)!
May 06, 2018
DH's relatives grow Roundup Ready crops: crops that have been genetically modified so you can spray them with Roundup and it kills everything other than the crop. They are completely unconcerned with the environment. Overpopulation does not exist and there is no impending energy crisis--solar power is a liberal plot, although they may put up a windmill if they can get some money from it.

They eat meat at every meal and a horrible diet, are obese and the 40 year olds look 60+. They don't live very long anyway.

When they have a cold Winter, they are the first to declare "so much for that Global Warming," not bothering to understand of course, that a warming planet means more instability in the weather, and not a departure from cold temperatures. They have no respect for any news outlet other than Faux news. Anything negative about Donald Trump is "fake news," created by a liberal media. They like him because they think he "speaks his mind" and is "his own person" and he stands for "traditional values." (When by all accounts he's an areligious, amoral sexist piece of crap who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.)

Trump really did a mind fuck on these sheeple because they really think he's for the common man and nothing could be further from the truth.
May 07, 2018
bell_flower
They like him because they think he "speaks his mind" and is "his own person" and he stands for "traditional values." (When by all accounts he's an areligious, amoral sexist piece of crap who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.)

Those sound like traditional values to me. People in power are rarely very religious but are happy to use religion for mass appeal. Family values campaigns seem to be inevitably followed by exposure of hypocrisy, and I don't think it has ever been any different - duck was considered a fish in monasteries so that they could get around the no-meat rule for certain days. Sexism is certainly a traditional value.

Traditionally, the best way to be rich is to not be born not rich. Be royalty if you can manage it. A complete disregard for the challenges others face is very, very traditional.
May 08, 2018
I have seen articles that claim rural America is petrified of their white, Christian culture being erased. I don't know the stats off the top of my head, but Caucasians are set to become a minority in x number of years or something. All the articles take a sympathetic view of the poor, scared racists and urge the left to be understanding. Or some shit.

Fuck, if you want to be a white Christian conservative, go for it. You have no fucking control over what your neighbors choose. That's always what chapped my ass about Christian conservatives - it's never enough for them to live as they see fit, they are not happy unless they're forcing everyone around them to live as they see fit, too.

Basically they know their time is coming nd they're having ginourmous tantrums. Absolutely fucking panicked they're going to have to live next to Habib and Consuela.

And yes, having grown up in Idaho, I can attest they are hugely fucking stupid. I always had my nose in a library book growing up, I think my brain got enough exercise and exposure to different ideas to save myself. They are attracted to people like Trump and Rush Limbaugh who talk big and make fun of "libtards" , basically following whoever's loudest and stupidest so they don't have to form thoughts themselves. They have zero consideration for anyone who is not exactly like themselves, it's like the whole empathy function or capacity to recognize someone else's point of view is missing. A lot of staunchly conservative people I've been around strike me as bullies, in their mannerisms and moral compases. They want what they want and wil laugh or belittle anyone "smaller" than them trying to go against them.
May 08, 2018
Trump is the last gasp of Racist White America.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
May 09, 2018
craftyzits

Gawd I hope you're right.
May 09, 2018
skyeyes
craftyzits

Gawd I hope you're right.

Second that.
May 09, 2018
stillwaters
That's always what chapped my ass about Christian conservatives - it's never enough for them to live as they see fit, they are not happy unless they're forcing everyone around them to live as they see fit, too.

Absolutely yes! For a group whose teachings allege to promote loving acceptance of others, the reality is usually something else entirely--racism, homophobia, and xenophobia are the norm.
May 09, 2018
stillwaters
I have seen articles that claim rural America is petrified of their white, Christian culture being erased. I don't know the stats off the top of my head, but Caucasians are set to become a minority in x number of years or something. All the articles take a sympathetic view of the poor, scared racists and urge the left to be understanding. Or some shit.
I wonder why they are afraid of 'white Christian America' being erased? Are they afraid they won't have any descendants, or is it they think all of the 'foreigners' will turn the US into a third world country?

For me, I love having neighbors of every stripe, so long as they follow the rules of the country and respect the people and land there. That's all I ask of anybody who comes in. Doesn't matter whether they are black, white Muslim or Buddhist, as long as they are sane, don't trash the environment, aren't loud people that want to ride around blaring music on big subwoofers in their car, or sit outside in stained shorts or nut-hugger underwear eating chicken wings and leave trash in their yard, do not think cruelty to animals is no big deal and don't think women are second class citizens who should be barefoot and pregnant, then come on in. It's the character that matters to me, not their skin color.

Which is something also. Populations are transitory. The US used to be almost 100% American Indian, then an influx of white people came in who to a degree intermarried with the native groups, and there were some Africans who were brought in, and it's estimated at least 30% of white Southerners have a black ancestor. These folks panicking over whites being a 'minority' are just pissing into the wind at this point, because even a century ago the most ardent racists in the assemblies and congresses of the South coming up with discriminatory laws based on race, trying to hammer out who was 'colored enough,' almost all voted against the '1 drop rule' as a basis because even they knew they had a degree of black ancestory.
May 09, 2018
bell_flower
DH's relatives grow Roundup Ready crops: crops that have been genetically modified so you can spray them with Roundup and it kills everything other than the crop. They are completely unconcerned with the environment. Overpopulation does not exist and there is no impending energy crisis--solar power is a liberal plot, although they may put up a windmill if they can get some money from it.

They eat meat at every meal and a horrible diet, are obese and the 40 year olds look 60+. They don't live very long anyway.

When they have a cold Winter, they are the first to declare "so much for that Global Warming," not bothering to understand of course, that a warming planet means more instability in the weather, and not a departure from cold temperatures. They have no respect for any news outlet other than Faux news. Anything negative about Donald Trump is "fake news," created by a liberal media. They like him because they think he "speaks his mind" and is "his own person" and he stands for "traditional values." (When by all accounts he's an areligious, amoral sexist piece of crap who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.)

Trump really did a mind fuck on these sheeple because they really think he's for the common man and nothing could be further from the truth.

Look at Trump's videos and mannerisms from the 80's and 90's. He was well dressed and spoke coherently. Then he decides he wants to be POTUS, and his suits suddenly look like they come from Today's Man, and he talks like an idiot.

Red-staters are as dumb as rocks. They fell for his schtick.

Why would a billionaire ever be for the common man?
May 09, 2018
Peace

Exactly--and why ANYONE believe it to be true is astounding. If I were reading a book with this plotline, I would dismiss it as unbelievable.
May 09, 2018
Peace

I had a friend who died a little over a year ago. He was a billionaire who came from poverty. One of his life's missions was to help out the common man and he started a couple of companies to do so. He was truly a kind-hearted caring man but he was also one in a billion. There are some good people who are extremely wealthy. I think wealth is either going to bring out the good or bad in anyone, depending on how they are fundamentally.

The Gates Foundation bases donations on the likelihood of a charity to provide the help it promises by using logarithms instead of emotional appeal. Charities which only exist as tax shelters aren't going to receive funding nor are the ones who use those photos of sad dejected looking children who posed that way for candy. I don't know Bill or Melinda Gates but I understand a little about how they run their organization and it seems to be solid. I heard that they were also promoting chicken raising in other countries, a little egg/chick is small and if feed it will provide eggs and meat. Seems like a sound plan along the philosophy of teach a person to fish rather than give him a fish. And I think there is some kind of movement to limit population as well to make life better for everyone. If memory serves correctly several other billionaires are also leaving their money to the same causes...maybe through the Gates Foundation?
May 10, 2018
The closer to death the racists become the louder they scream.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
May 10, 2018
craftyzits
The closer to death the racists become the louder they scream.

They know the world is changing toward diversity and tolerance, and they hate it. They hate that they won't be represented anymore. Their hatred is dwindling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login