Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boomer responds to Millennials about why Boomers are waiting to retire

Posted by freya 
Boomer responds to Millennials about why Boomers are waiting to retire
May 16, 2018
They're too busy paying for the lifestyle of their Millennial 20 something brats and care taking for their parents.

Link: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/so-why-are-baby-boomers-still-working/ar-AAxiAl7?li=BBnbfcN

Boomers are setting a much higher retirement age, the person in the article is 68. It used to be that there was rampant buzz about age related discrimination towards older works and this changing, which is great news for anyone working in the US.
Of course we can't retire, we've been downsized, outsourced, and laid off. Our pensions have been stolen, our 401ks eviserated by various stock market crashes, the cost of living goes up, wages are stagnent, and god forbid you try to find a job if you're over 50!

We lived through social chaos, assassinations, war and riots. Not to mention we grew up during the cold war with the ever-present threat of total annihalation.

Anyone else ever check out the r/lostgeneration sub on reddit? It's nothing but millennials whining about how good the boomers had it.
Millenials are an especially whiny set of sneauphlaykes. I'm a Gen Xer and things weren't that great, either. I have managed to carve a life out for myself, but it took me many years, most of my younger years living with poverty and domestic violence.
Gen Xer here too. The economy tanked, the days of working for one company with a pension were long gone. I am just glad I didn't pinch out any loaves to suck my wallet dry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
In defense of Millenials (I’m not one), Boomers can be obnoxiously obtuse about current economic and related societal realities. I would imagine being told to get a job, get out of the house, get a spouse and start a family by people who could get a middle-class job and buy a home with a high school diploma gets old. Boomers also have their own irritating political eccentricities. Perversely, no group on earth is more pro-war than Vietnam veterans and no group on earth is more in favor of curtailing civil liberties (because terrorists) than the people who championed civil rights.

In defense of Boomers, Millenials can be obnoxious, full stop.
JoJo
Of course we can't retire, we've been downsized, outsourced, and laid off. Our pensions have been stolen, our 401ks eviserated by various stock market crashes, the cost of living goes up, wages are stagnent, and god forbid you try to find a job if you're over 50!

We lived through social chaos, assassinations, war and riots. Not to mention we grew up during the cold war with the ever-present threat of total annihalation.

Anyone else ever check out the r/lostgeneration sub on reddit? It's nothing but millennials whining about how good the boomers had it.

Not to mention two major recessions during "our" time at bat.
I'm not a boomer, and I have come to realize maybe things are harder than I originally thought. I still hopeless when it comes to the Mils. Ok, the economy and job market isn't tipping in your favor. But from what I can tell from my friends' kids, they are not even looking for a job for pocket money or saving for the apartment they may get later. They take forever to get outta college but have straight A's, well, anyone can do that if you're on the 10-15 yr plan, and dont work PT or during the summers. (Of course, there are exceptions to this.) They don't go out, don't have friends, don't feel a need to do anything but sit in the basement, on the wifi, sucking off their parents, while the parents push their retirement further away. They sit there and judge people on their stupid blogs they post everyday, judging people that lived life, in very black and white terms. If you disagree with the adults who support you, why wouldn't you do whatever you could to get away from them? Like go to your PT job, have friends and spend a bit of your PT money, save the rest to get the hell out of the basement?

I'm glad they aren't having kids tho that they cant afford. But it seems that is more becuz they don't seek partners. Of course,I'm sure many others are using Tinder etc, so that's not everyone. The Mils I know thru my friends/fam, seem to be totally disinterested in anything that even mildly looks like adulthood and seem to feel very comfortable in endless semi-adolescence where they enjoy certain spoils of adulthood, but none of the responsibilities, then resent their parents and grandparents for it.
That's a pretty good description of the millennial redditors. It amazes me how many are in their mid-late twenties and don't even have drivers licenses. I've even heard of 'kids' flat out refusing to get a license. Okay, I get it that Uber is a thing now and car ownership is expensive. But you can at least learn how to drive.

I have a 19 year old great nephew who has been working steadily since he was 15, now he makes 20 an hour for a contractor doing *gasp* manual labor, has a steady girlfriend, owns a car and got his license at 17. His 23 year old sister graduated last year with a Master's degree, found a job paying about 40k and recently moved into a house with a couple of friends her age. I guess they're anomalies, or maybe the rest of the cohort are lazy, immature idiots.

Although they do have a point about the older boomers being clueless about the economy. I was born in 1960, and during the brutal late seventies/early eighties recession, my eldest sister (b. 1949) and brother-in-law (b. 1946) refused to believe that I couldn't just walk into a business and get a job. I was called lazy because I didn't "go out there and hit the pavement".
I was born in the early 60's so that makes me on the tail end of the Baby Boomers. I think a lot of factors have contributed to the present state: 1. conspicuous/smothering/helicopter parenting and Moos (and increasingly, Duds) making their kids their entire identity; 2. being able to stay on parental insurance until age 26; 3. affluenza.

I was fully launched at age 22. I got out because I hated living with my mom. Most people my age felt the same way and couldn't wait to GTFO. You'd bunk in an apartment with peers and you didn't have anything that resembled real furniture for a while. (I had the cinder block + wood plank bookshelves--very 70's and 80's although I did have a real bed and a hand-me-down dresser.) I moved around for my job and lived pretty frugally. I didn't buy a house until I was in my 40's and it was truly a starter home: 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, 1,500 square feet. I drove a modest sedan. The younger people I work with just have more shit, tons of gadgets and they expect to live a higher lifestyle with the big houses and fancy SUVs and minivans.

However, I can see where safe and affordable housing is an issue. Back in the day, people from all walks of life lived in apartments. Finding somewhere reasonably safe didn't cost an arm and a leg. Now, everyone wants a house and it has to be something out of HGTV. DH and I are living in the third house for both of us, so we came to this house with a hefty downpayment. When we see young people in our neighborhood we think, how can they do it? (We bought before the bubble and many departed shortly thereafter because they were upside down.) Finding a safe apartment in my town means spending $1500+ a month. I can see people buying under those conditions. Might as well get equity instead of paying rent and not having anything to show for it.

I have a very small sample size, but most of the Millenials I work with are stupid with money. One in particular is the sole wage earner with a stay at home wifey and little kids. They eat out all the time--in the Summer the wife takes the kids out to eat every day. The house is a slovenly mess and I can't figure out what she's doing other than being a 24/7 entertainment center for brats. He's always got the latest gadget and they go on trips constantly. They also appear to barely making ends meet. He's medically fragile and they are one medical crisis away from disaster.

He's also very entitlement minded. He's told me that "he could do my job." Dream on, dude. I have 25+ years and I've lived in three different places doing related jobs. I know the company inside and out. He's been around six years and thinks he knows it all. Pretty typical. He'd be a complete disaster if he got my job. People are already telling me they would leave if he got it.

Other random observations: My niece and nephew also learned to drive late. I don't think they got licenses until they were 20 or 21. I can't even fathom that. When I was 16 I accepted a job at the Maul before I knew how to drive the extra old car my parents had for the kids. (It was a manual transmission.) I figured it out because I wanted money and independence and that was the way to get it. When my niece and nephew were around 10 we went to a family function and I offered them a ride in my car. They declined and said they wanted to ride with their parents. I was like, WTF is wrong with these kids? When I was that age, if I had a sanctioned event where I could ditch my parents, I would have been all over that. They seemed unusually attached to their parents.

My niece and nephew eventually launched. One of them took a 2-3 year break between college and medical school and worked part time. This would not have been permitted for one minute in my mom's household--we were expected to get jobs and insurance. They rode their parents' insurance and their parents weren't perturbed by it. My niece now makes six figures and has her own place, car and job so I guess she turned out okay. Nephew has a job and his own place too.

DH's nieces and nephews are a mixed bag. Most are classic millennials in the bad way. Two of them are 30+, and living with my SIL and they refuse to work. My SIL and her husband just bought a big enough house so these two parasites can continue to live with them. My SIL hasn't worked in 30 years and she's lazy too and sees nothing wrong with it. Her husband is a dumbass....these aren't even his kids.

I realize a lot of this is personality dependent. I wouldn't doubt that there are hard working, non-entitled Millenials, just as there are lazy Bommers. I have a Boomer employee whom I want to hurt on a regular basis. W-O-R-T-H-L-E-S-S and entitled to boot.
I live next to an older Mil, and today I was shocked he was up at 1:30p mowing the lawn....um, weeds,

He and his now 70 y.o. mom inherited the house from the Grandma. The mom expects nothing outta him. They been there for 10 ys, he finally has a job, seems to be PT. He didnt go to college. Doesnt date, doesn't really leave the house, except now for his new job. He drives his dead grandma's 90s car. They must live off grandma's money and mom's social security. He goes to the grocers once a month and buys the staples. Gets a pizza once a month. This is his life. Doesnt even sit in the yard and read a book.

His older bro and his wife come over every few months and help clean. I dont know why the two who are home all day can't do this. They plant a garden, and the dipshit lets it go to seed and doent pick the tomatoes, they just rot. IDK how he looks himself in the mirror. How boring. They put a large flat screen in the kitchen. This is a small house, not a mcmansion. He watches TV all night into the wee hours, cooks his dinner, and washes the dish. That is it.
My personal experience with baby boomers is that they are in upper management, do not do a whole lot other than delegate tasks, collect a fat paycheck and assign tasks to employees that managers should be doing. Millennials are doing 100% of the work while upper management gets a lion share of pay. Baby boomers have almost no appreciation for Millenials and their efforts. It will be a good day when above mentioned baby boomers retire.

The only thing that I do fear is that one of the Millenials that has been kicked around and used as a door mat by baby boomer managers, gets promoted to a manager. He or she may just treat others as "well" as they were treated.
bell_flower
I was born in the early 60's so that makes me on the tail end of the Baby Boomers. I think a lot of factors have contributed to the present state: 1. conspicuous/smothering/helicopter parenting and Moos (and increasingly, Duds) making their kids their entire identity; 2. being able to stay on parental insurance until age 26; 3. affluenza.

I was fully launched at age 22. I got out because I hated living with my mom. Most people my age felt the same way and couldn't wait to GTFO. You'd bunk in an apartment with peers and you didn't have anything that resembled real furniture for a while. (I had the cinder block + wood plank bookshelves--very 70's and 80's although I did have a real bed and a hand-me-down dresser.) I moved around for my job and lived pretty frugally. I didn't buy a house until I was in my 40's and it was truly a starter home: 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, 1,500 square feet. I drove a modest sedan. The younger people I work with just have more shit, tons of gadgets and they expect to live a higher lifestyle with the big houses and fancy SUVs and minivans.

However, I can see where safe and affordable housing is an issue. Back in the day, people from all walks of life lived in apartments. Finding somewhere reasonably safe didn't cost an arm and a leg. Now, everyone wants a house and it has to be something out of HGTV. DH and I are living in the third house for both of us, so we came to this house with a hefty downpayment. When we see young people in our neighborhood we think, how can they do it? (We bought before the bubble and many departed shortly thereafter because they were upside down.) Finding a safe apartment in my town means spending $1500+ a month. I can see people buying under those conditions. Might as well get equity instead of paying rent and not having anything to show for it.

I have a very small sample size, but most of the Millenials I work with are stupid with money. One in particular is the sole wage earner with a stay at home wifey and little kids. They eat out all the time--in the Summer the wife takes the kids out to eat every day. The house is a slovenly mess and I can't figure out what she's doing other than being a 24/7 entertainment center for brats. He's always got the latest gadget and they go on trips constantly. They also appear to barely making ends meet. He's medically fragile and they are one medical crisis away from disaster.

He's also very entitlement minded. He's told me that "he could do my job." Dream on, dude. I have 25+ years and I've lived in three different places doing related jobs. I know the company inside and out. He's been around six years and thinks he knows it all. Pretty typical. He'd be a complete disaster if he got my job. People are already telling me they would leave if he got it.

Other random observations: My niece and nephew also learned to drive late. I don't think they got licenses until they were 20 or 21. I can't even fathom that. When I was 16 I accepted a job at the Maul before I knew how to drive the extra old car my parents had for the kids. (It was a manual transmission.) I figured it out because I wanted money and independence and that was the way to get it. When my niece and nephew were around 10 we went to a family function and I offered them a ride in my car. They declined and said they wanted to ride with their parents. I was like, WTF is wrong with these kids? When I was that age, if I had a sanctioned event where I could ditch my parents, I would have been all over that. They seemed unusually attached to their parents.

My niece and nephew eventually launched. One of them took a 2-3 year break between college and medical school and worked part time. This would not have been permitted for one minute in my mom's household--we were expected to get jobs and insurance. They rode their parents' insurance and their parents weren't perturbed by it. My niece now makes six figures and has her own place, car and job so I guess she turned out okay. Nephew has a job and his own place too.

DH's nieces and nephews are a mixed bag. Most are classic millennials in the bad way. Two of them are 30+, and living with my SIL and they refuse to work. My SIL and her husband just bought a big enough house so these two parasites can continue to live with them. My SIL hasn't worked in 30 years and she's lazy too and sees nothing wrong with it. Her husband is a dumbass....these aren't even his kids.

I realize a lot of this is personality dependent. I wouldn't doubt that there are hard working, non-entitled Millenials, just as there are lazy Bommers. I have a Boomer employee whom I want to hurt on a regular basis. W-O-R-T-H-L-E-S-S and entitled to boot.

I am a Gen X and I launched into adulthood very late. I have Asperger's and about a dozen other mental illnesses so that explains that. Because of them, I wound up supporting myself on Social Security Disability and have been in the nut house once.

The only debts I ever had were because of a parental gambling addiction. After a few episodes of this, I started using my bill accounts as little savings accounts for a rainy day. What you do is overpay on your bills, and you will end up with a credit on your billing account, although your checking account will have squat in it. Because I depended on my parents back then to help run my economic life (I was very behind emotionally and intellectually and the Internet wasn't yet developed) I was able to hide the fact I had tiny amounts of money.

My parents often told me they didn't understand how I was so good with money. I did not really learn that from home. I had never missed a rent payment for any of the cheap apartments I rented except for a handful of times that involved circumstances I couldn't control. Now with the Internet, I've complete control of my money.

After the death of my parents, I started working on what was then my "thin credit". I got a credit card and a store card on which I overpay each month (old habits do die hard) leaving small credits in each. My FICO is now 754. FICO goes up about 10 points a month. The credit card is what I use to buy groceries with and go out to eat on.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
I don't know why the media is trying to promote the generation wars (and why Gen X is invisible in this war they're building up between Boomers and Millennials). I know hard-working Millennials and Boomers who want Millennials to get the same social benefits they enjoyed in youth. I also know whiny, entitled, useless people from both generations. In fact the media is highlighting whining Boomers complaining about Millennials "killing" industries at least as often as they are spotlighting Millennials whining about Boomers hoarding all the wealth, they just don't call it whining when it is older people doing it.

Everyone involved in that media debate is an adult. Perhaps it is time for all those whingers, younger and older, to try acting like adults and recognize that there is more nuance in how individuals behave than just their age. Everyone gets fed up with generalizations about them, and those based purely on age are no more helpful than those based on race, sex, etc. I'm so sick of the old-vs-young narrative the media is trying to push. People aren't my enemies because they are older or younger than me, if I dislike them it is because they are demonstrated assholes based on their own actions.

Each generation has its own challenges, which differ from the ones which came before, and each generation has things it take for granted which previous generations didn't get.
I'm not sure what generation i fit into. My older brother was Gen x, but I think I missed the cut off by a few years

All I know is that I have a bachelor's degree and a full time job and I am struggling to find an apartment I can afford that isn't in a crack house. I drive a used car and pay $25 a month for basic cell service. I am resigning myself that I'm going to have to take on a 2nd job just to have a place to live when I leave my marriage.

Life sucks all around for everyone, except the billionaires who own the government.
yurble
I don't know why the media is trying to promote the generation wars (and why Gen X is invisible in this war they're building up between Boomers and Millennials). I know hard-working Millennials and Boomers who want Millennials to get the same social benefits they enjoyed in youth. I also know whiny, entitled, useless people from both generations. In fact the media is highlighting whining Boomers complaining about Millennials "killing" industries at least as often as they are spotlighting Millennials whining about Boomers hoarding all the wealth, they just don't call it whining when it is older people doing it.

Everyone involved in that media debate is an adult. Perhaps it is time for all those whingers, younger and older, to try acting like adults and recognize that there is more nuance in how individuals behave than just their age. Everyone gets fed up with generalizations about them, and those based purely on age are no more helpful than those based on race, sex, etc. I'm so sick of the old-vs-young narrative the media is trying to push. People aren't my enemies because they are older or younger than me, if I dislike them it is because they are demonstrated assholes based on their own actions.

Each generation has its own challenges, which differ from the ones which came before, and each generation has things it take for granted which previous generations didn't get.

I just had an epiphany. You are so right! Media is creating controversy. You are also 100% spot on that good and bad exists in all generations.

I have a theory. If media was to concentrate on positive things about each generation, would they have the ratings that they are looking to get? Would they be considered "boring"? While I personally do not have an answer, I am guessing that media thinks that wars equate high ratings.
yurble

I agree with you on the old-vs-young narrative. Assholes or entitlement don't have a specific age bracket. I can think of good and bad examples from all working generations. And microaggressions, safe spaces, raising awareness, SJW, any adjective followed by the word "privilege" (and always followed by how the poor widdle baby whines about being marginalized or at a disadvantage in some way) and all that other crap is annoying regardless of the age of the vocalizer. I've yet to know a person who hasn't been marginalized or felt unsafe because they are different in some way but most of them have the character to deal with obstacles in their lives without starting a "blank privilege" movement.

I posted the article because I haven't read yet why so many people are working beyond what used to be the retirement age, most of the rhetoric is coming from a small subset of Millennials. And truth be told, younger Boomers or older Generation X is the one inline to benefit from Boomers retiring, as they have the experience. I'm glad the Boomers are taking a stand and stating they are working because they need to do so. A big part of the reason why Millennials may have the everyone wins and gets a prize mentality is because the agenda was pushed (hard) in school. Also, the weird demands on everyone getting awards, parties and graduation ceremonies at every imaginable milestone or holiday.

Wondering if seeing reality (Boomers and potentially Generation Xers working well past retirement age) will cause more Millennials to consider being child-free so that they stand a better chance of not working until they die.
No, but the Boomer bashing over at AlterNet is a pain in the butt. Tired of hearing about how everything wrong in the world is our fault. I've told a few off but most Millenials are entitled whiners.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login