Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IVF add-ons are a rip-off, who would have thought?

Posted by yurble 
IVF add-ons are a rip-off, who would have thought?
June 19, 2018
Of course, IVF itself is a rip-off, given its 21% success rate for women under 35. But that, of course, won't be mentioned in this article that claims that regulation is needed because private fertility clinics try to sell dubious treatments to desperate people.

Maybe what's needed is some common sense. Who pays £7,000 for some vanity treatment with such a low chance of success, other than someone completely lacking a sense of proportion? It seems the infertility market is worth £320m/year in the UK alone.

Utterly disgusting that people are spending such enormous sums on reproduction when the world is overcrowded and there are so many children lacking homes.
Re: IVF add-ons are a rip-off, who would have thought?
June 28, 2018
I'm not totally sorry for baby rabids who get suckered into parting with $$$

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
June 28, 2018
I'd guess that you could take just about any treatment and claim it helps with fertility and add a big mark up on it. People will pay in droves and then whine that they can't afford more treatments. But they think they can afford the kids if they become pregnant. Because deluded thinking and non-existent logic makes for great parents.
July 01, 2018
My sympathy dried up before one drop came forth.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
July 02, 2018
I don't blame clinics for tacking on all the extra stuff. They know that these women are desperate to reproduce and will go along with anything regardless of cost if it means they might wind up pregnant. I'd be taking advantage of these idiots too! They'll claim they have no money, but many of them will still manage to dig up some dough (loans, credit cards, GoFundMe, etc.) to go through another round of IVF that will fail.

When we have no more kids in the system who need homes, then I might feel something resembling a shred of sympathy for these people who blow six figures on failed fertility treatments in pursuit of biological offspring. Until then, I will simply Nelson-laugh at each and every whining Moo who bleats about all the money she spent on IVF and is still childless.
July 03, 2018
Kinda reminds me of plastic surgeons, who try to upsell their services by playing on their patients' self confidence. Go in for butt lipo? Why not get that boob lift and nose job while you're there? You'll feel soooo much better about yourself.

I wonder how often these so-called medical professionals play on their patient's ignorance and stupidity just to make a few extra bucks. Like plastic surgery (in most cases), IVF is basically like a cosmetic surgery. It's completely unnecessary. Therefore it's easy to exploit people.

Disclaimer: I am not talking about plastic surgery that is necessary, like skin grafts or corrections to something that a person is having difficulty with. I'm talking about pure vanity stuff, but I'm sure you good folks know what I mean.
July 04, 2018
mumofsixbirds
Kinda reminds me of plastic surgeons, who try to upsell their services by playing on their patients' self confidence. Go in for butt lipo? Why not get that boob lift and nose job while you're there? You'll feel soooo much better about yourself.

It's just like that episode of Daria - Quinn goes to a plastic surgeon for a nose job. The doctor says there's nothing wrong with Quinn's nose but goes on to point out other 'imperfections' on her face, which ends with a quote for 6 grand's worth of unnecessary add-ons (almost 10 grand in 2018 dollars); cheek bone enhancement, lip implants, dimpling and a beauty mark.
July 04, 2018
I saw this happen back in the 90s. An elderly neighbor's daughter was visiting. My roommate told me the woman had recently gotten a breast reduction because she was insecure about turning 50. This can be a very necessary thing, but unfortunately her plastic surgeon was not ethical. He apparently had a deal with some other plastic surgeons, so he convinced her she needed a nose job and something else (I forget what) and referred her to them. She was going to have those procedures in the near future.

One evening she came over to visit. She was anxious because she thought there was a lump on her incision, and she wanted my roommate, who was a nurse, to look at it. They went in another room to look at it, and my roommate assured her everything was fine. After she left my roommate talked to me and our other roommate about it. She said the woman had been depressed about her huge boobs, now she was depressed about her incision. She needed help with her mental issues, not more plastic surgery. Also the surgeon should have told her to lose 50 pounds before he did the surgery. I don't know if this is standard procedure or not, but the woman looked like she could stand to lose at least 100. My roommate commented now she has perfect little breasts but her stomach still looks like a balloon.

I guess you need to check out your plastic surgeon carefully if you need something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login