Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Catholics claiming to not ever get over abortions

Posted by cfdavep 
Catholics claiming to not ever get over abortions
June 19, 2018
I have a friend who watched her mother die of kidney failure. She goes to a grief group and there is a woman there who admitted to everyone on the last night of the meetings that she aborted 44 years ago at the age of 18. She said that her family was the type to shun a teen moo and write them off so she aborted so that would not happen to her. After her mother died she went to her grave and "told" her about the abortion to get "forgiveness" and asked her to "watch out for the child she aborted in heaven" Of course she only admitted to the abortion because she still feels regret after decades. Everyone in the group apparently was ok with it.

I wonder if these Catholics really feel regret or they just play that card as it is socially acceptable and secretly are relieved.
I also wonder if this woman votes against choice.
Re: Catholics claiming to not ever get over abortions
June 19, 2018
You hear it all the time in the US, about girls who go to the clinic one day and protest it the next. I think people just compartmentalize and make excuses for themselves. If they really felt guilt it should be over their hypocrisy, but instead they would rather act out whatever part makes them a "good person" in their mind, so they instead choose to act ashamed of the abortion if it ever comes out.
June 19, 2018
yurble
You hear it all the time in the US, about girls who go to the clinic one day and protest it the next..

Is it like that expression "the only moral abortion is my abortion"?
June 19, 2018
lurker-derp
yurble
You hear it all the time in the US, about girls who go to the clinic one day and protest it the next..

Is it like that expression "the only moral abortion is my abortion"?

That's exactly the source of that expression.
June 20, 2018
cfdavep
I wonder if these Catholics really feel regret or they just play that card as it is socially acceptable and secretly are relieved.
I also wonder if this woman votes against choice.

I'm sure there are many who regret it and are secretly relieved. Layer Catholicism on top of that, and it can potentially create a lot of internal conflict. However, all of the women I know who have had an abortion are relieved and make no secret about it. They also are not religious, though.
June 20, 2018
I really hope the 62 woman isn't going to a grief group to whine about aborting a baby 44 years ago. At some point it is time to get over it and move on with life. Bet she does vote against choice and I wouldn't be surprised if she is very vocal and pushy with women to not abort, if she has the opportunity.
June 21, 2018
I'm an ex Catholic and I don't regret my abortion. I wish that I didn't have to have it in the first place, but accidents happen. I hate it when people talk about abortion regret. Maybe these people should go find out about breeder regret and see which is easier to deal with.
June 22, 2018

I really hope the 62 woman isn't going to a grief group to whine about aborting a baby 44 years ago.

Call me a judgmental bitch, and I wouldn't say anything outwardly, but I don't see much connection between aborting a clump of cells versus losing a living, breathing person.

Someone who is having guilt feelings after 44 years need a serious dose of perspective. So this woman had an abortion circa 1974. It wasn't unusual for Catholic families to send girls away when they got pregnant to keep them from "disgracing the family name." The wealthy ones would say the daughters were on vacation, but many were sent to convents where they were treated quite brutally. Many were not given any drugs during childbirth as punishment and their baybees were taken away from them. Here's an article in the Guardian about it. Feel sorry for yourself because you grew up in a screwed-up family where your parents didn't think you needed sex education, but don't feel sorry that you avoided that fate.

One of my best friends in college grew up in a similarly screwed-up family. Her mother never talked about sex with her, other than "don't get pregnant." Her mother never took her to a gynecologist. Part of having a child is giving her proper medical care, but not when you are whacked up religious nut I guess. My friend was date-raped at age 21. When she told her "best friend" (a similarly Catholic whacko) that she was late, her friend told her that she was sure the rapist would be excited about the pregnancy! Her friend refused to go to the clinic with her because her whole family protested there. My friend eventually told Whacko that she got her period to get her off her back. I gave her a ride to the clinic and went with her. She never had a pelvic exam and her first exam was an abortion. Very sad.

I've lost track of her. I hope she's not consumed by guilt, but too often the brainwashed often are. A lot of these "regretful" women aren't thinking realistically. Many of them are the person they are today because they didn't have the baybee and they aren't tired to the (often loser) guy who impregnated them. I do know this person continued with her life. She finished school, married a nice guy and they had a wanted child together.
June 23, 2018
LOL It's a little off topic, but a few years after I had my abortion, I was already living alone and wondering what I should do next. I stayed up late one night watching TV, and saw an ad for telephone psychics. I contacted this dude who was local to me, who claimed that he was psychic and could do a reading on me. I've always been interested in weird stuff like that, and I called him.

I don't remember the entire question, but he had asked me if I had any children (of course). I told him that I didn't, but said that I was pregnant once but had to get an abortion. This idiot then goes on to tell me that I had aborted a male child, and the kid's spirit was floating around me all the time, hating me and wanting revenge. Haha.

The first thing I thought was "Thank God I aborted, because what would've happened if this was some REAL, live kid who hated me?" I couldn't believe that I had bothered calling this clown and told him that I was no longer interested in having my future read.

Yup, still no regret.
June 24, 2018
mumofsixbirds

.... I told him that I didn't, but said that I was pregnant once but had to get an abortion. This idiot then goes on to tell me that I had aborted a male child, and the kid's spirit was floating around me all the time, hating me and wanting revenge.

Yup, still no regret.

Then you aborted a psycho! Good job! grinning smiley
June 24, 2018
bell_flower

I really hope the 62 woman isn't going to a grief group to whine about aborting a baby 44 years ago.
Call me a judgmental bitch, and I wouldn't say anything outwardly, but I don't see much connection between aborting a clump of cells versus losing a living, breathing person.

Me too then. Also any faith that encourages people to treat women who've had abortions like they are murderers is off my list. We all know if men carried the babies then they wouldn't be treated this way under the patriarchy of religion. It is the double standard which is expected in patriarchal religions and based on biology: men are #1, children are #2, followed by wife and the family pet. When I was a kid it was men are #1, wife is #2, followed by children and the family pet.

Guess they figured women who grew up in dead last of importance in the family dynamic would be perfectly suited to remain in last place as wives and be forced to put everyone's interests ahead of theirs, another reason to be CF.
June 24, 2018
Peace
mumofsixbirds

.... I told him that I didn't, but said that I was pregnant once but had to get an abortion. This idiot then goes on to tell me that I had aborted a male child, and the kid's spirit was floating around me all the time, hating me and wanting revenge.

Yup, still no regret.

Then you aborted a psycho! Good job! grinning smiley

Wow, talk about a judgemental psychic. A person who claims to be a psychic and treats you with anything other than respect is a fraud. If this every happens to anyone here demand a refund.
June 24, 2018
While I'm sure that there are SOME people who regret it, I tend to think that most people with so-called "abortion regret" are having hormonal swings. People discount how strong those hormones can be, especially when you have them flowing through you one minute and then the next they're shut off like a light switch. It happened to me, and I knew better... can you imagine how it must be for someone who doesn't have support, is feeling vulnerable, or is having to deal with someone who WANTS them to feel guilty?
June 25, 2018

Wow, talk about a judgemental psychic. A person who claims to be a psychic and treats you with anything other than respect is a fraud. If this every happens to anyone here demand a refund.

They're all frauds, some just think it makes better business sense to cozy up to their clients.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login