Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reverse "who will take care of you when you're old"

Posted by yurble 
Reverse "who will take care of you when you're old"
July 04, 2018
A 92-year-old woman fatally shot her 72-year-old son, whom she lived with, because he wanted to put her in a nursing home. A very late-term PNA.
Re: Reverse "who will take care of you when you're old"
July 04, 2018
Sounds like she'd rather die than be put into a nursing home and was planning on killing herself next. Can't say I blame her. Especially if she isn't able to move out on her own which is entirely possible.
July 05, 2018
No Shady Pines for that woman!
July 05, 2018
skyeyes
No Shady Pines for that woman!

Yes, there will be—Shady Pines Correctional Center! devil with smile
July 05, 2018
freya
Sounds like she'd rather die than be put into a nursing home and was planning on killing herself next.

If that was what she wanted, she could have just killed herself. It sounds like there was significant bad feeling over her son.
July 06, 2018
There's a LOT more to this story than the article is letting on. A parent doesn't just haul off and blow their child away at any age for wanting to put them in a home. Methinks there was a lot of contention between the mother and her son long before any of this ever unfolded. She's probably a narcissist who didn't like not getting her own way, but she expected her kid to care for her ass, so when he decided he didn't want to do that anymore, she "punished" him for it. A narcissist doesn't really know how to give a shit about anyone other than themselves, so her whole bullshit story about being sorry was just a show for the news so they wouldn't think she was a complete monster.

If it was just a matter of her not wanting to be in a home (which I can't say I blame her because they're awful places), she would have taken her own life. This kind of anger toward her child did not pop up overnight and she probably figured she's gonna die soon anyway, so why not just shoot the fucker? If it wasn't over this, it would have been over something else.

Just goes to show there is no age after which you're safe from PNAs.
July 06, 2018
But wouldn't being a prison for women be worse than being in a home? Those women there are NOT friendly!
July 07, 2018
mr. neptune
But wouldn't being a prison for women be worse than being in a home? Those women there are NOT friendly!

People who are very elderly and in poor health sometimes get house arrest instead of being in a prison. Bet she is counting on that.
July 08, 2018
Can someone actually put an elderly person in a nursing home against their will? Aren't they allowed to say no or be able to leave? Forcing them into a home sounds like a gross violation of the elderly person's rights...
July 08, 2018
nightfire
Can someone actually put an elderly person in a nursing home against their will? Aren't they allowed to say no or be able to leave? Forcing them into a home sounds like a gross violation of the elderly person's rights...

I think it depends on how mentally and physically competent the person is. If the person is mentally lucid and can make their own decisions, I can't imagine anyone could put them in a nursing home against their will (but there's nothing stopping their kids from pressuring them into a home). But if they have dementia and can't take care of themselves, then their kids might be able to put them into long-term care without their consent. I could be mistaken, though.
July 08, 2018
Maybe it is just the corner cases but I seem to hear quite a bit about kids moving in with their elderly parents (or elderly parents moving in with their kids) then the elderly fork over lots of money and the kids put them in a home. I would think for some elderly doing this would cut off their independence because once their big asset is gone they may not be able to afford to rent a place on their own.
Betting there are cases where this happens and the elderly do require being put in a home because they need too much attention and medical care for their kids to handle.
It just seems like a terrible gamble to make.
July 09, 2018
nightfire

If a person is a ward, they don't have the right to refuse to be put in a nursing home. It is quite possible that adult children may have applied for guardianship over a parent, perhaps during a period of illness, which wasn't later nullified.

Or, if the parent has given or sold the home to the child (often done to avoid death duties), or sold their home and moved in with the child, the child has the legal right to kick them out...which would make them homeless, unless they go with the solution the child has provided (nursing home).
July 09, 2018
They might not be told they have to be in a nursing home but they can be ordered to have 24/7 care which is almost impossible at home. If their doctor and/or home care nurses see a problem they are supposed to report it. Doctors specializing in geriatrics understand when it is impossible to keep a parent at home and are a helpful resource.

It is expensive and difficult to get guardianship (at least in the US) and it isn't necessary if a parent is diagnosed with dementia or fully dependent on others for care. A child can be charged with neglect if they cannot keep up with the level of care needed.
July 10, 2018
whoever is right or wrong here, geezer is going to be going to geezer jail. or its equivalent.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login