Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Social Media replacing adoption agencies?

Posted by cfdavep 
Social Media replacing adoption agencies?
July 07, 2018
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/couple-adopts-son-instagram-cant-even-believe-real-000604449--abc-news-parenting.html

People are saying this may be the beginning of the end for adoption agencies. I guess instead of a couple waiting 10 years to adopt they can now try with social media adoptions. Someone on the net said this may cut into all those IVF treatments if kids are easier to adopt, but most wll probably still want "their own"
Re: Social Media replacing adoption agencies?
July 13, 2018
and they may not have to go through elaborate screening process... pity they don't impose this on all wanno moos out there.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
July 13, 2018
I can see all sorts of wrong things happening here. People selling their loaves for drugs, etc., using social media as the tool.

I remember once, when Conner was a baby, and he was screaming his head off continually for no reason. I threatened to Craigslist him. Didn't work, but I still have him. I would have never done that, but it just dawned on me that it would be a great threat for parents to use on their kids:

"Hey Junior! Shut your piehole or I'll Craigslist ya!" I could TOTALLY see this happening.
July 14, 2018
Technology and lack of consistent standards is turning everything into a popularity lottery. Don't like that you were denied an experimental medical treatment that wasn't applicable for your condition? Start a crowd-funded complaint. High medical bills? Better hope you have a compelling story that makes people donate. Want to adopt? Why not participate in a reality-TV show and let our viewers decide which couple ultimately gets the baby. Need a new liver? Available to the highest bidder - better start your GoFundMe.

Late-stage capitalism is when everyone has to monetize their popularity. I really don't think some things ought to be determined by popularity, but rather by reasoned, fair policy.
July 15, 2018
I could see something like this being both really good and really bad. Good because more people might adopt if they don't have to wait 10 years and spend $50,000 only to not wind up with a kid anyway. It could also be an alternative to frustrated parents killing their unwanted kids when they decide they don't want to be parents anymore. Bad because people might have kids just for the sake of selling them, and also bad because there would be less of a screening process and people would sell their kids to anyone just to get rid of them and/or make money. It could make it much easier for a sexual predator to purchase a victim, for example.
July 15, 2018
Cambion
It could also be an alternative to frustrated parents killing their unwanted kids when they decide they don't want to be parents anymore.

Think I've heard it is illegal for a parent to sell a child (perfectly fine for an adoption agency to do this and charge tens of thousands of dollars) but it may be more humane in some circumstances, especially if the kid ends up in a loving home as a result. I could see this potentially going sideways if lots of parents jump on the bandwagon, similar to what happened with dropping off what was supposed to be limited to infants about 10 years ago with no consequences to the parents. Recall hearing of large families driving over multiple states to dump off their large famblees.
July 16, 2018
Oh yeah, I remember that. The Safe Haven Law in Nebraska in 2008, I believe? They didn't specify an age limit on the kids people could dump, so people exploited the loophole and flocked from all over the country to legally abandon their kids in Nebraska. Some people dumped teenagers, some dumped entire families of kids and not just one. By the time lawmakers figured out they fucked up and set an age limit, I think nearly three dozen kids were left in Nebraska. People were honestly rushing to Nebraska to leave their kids there before someone noticed the loophole and fixed it.

If this became a thing, then the people handling the legal part of it would need to really go over it with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there were no loopholes anyone could take advantage of. Even then, someone would still find one because people are very good at finding those kinds of things.
July 16, 2018
Cambion
Oh yeah, I remember that. The Safe Haven Law in Nebraska in 2008, I believe? They didn't specify an age limit on the kids people could dump, so people exploited the loophole and flocked from all over the country to legally abandon their kids in Nebraska. Some people dumped teenagers, some dumped entire families of kids and not just one. By the time lawmakers figured out they fucked up and set an age limit, I think nearly three dozen kids were left in Nebraska. People were honestly rushing to Nebraska to leave their kids there before someone noticed the loophole and fixed it.

If this became a thing, then the people handling the legal part of it would need to really go over it with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there were no loopholes anyone could take advantage of. Even then, someone would still find one because people are very good at finding those kinds of things.

Yes! That is it. And I doubt Instagram wants the liability/reputation of baby/kid brokering. But if someone can get away with it online it will likely happen, as long as they look out for the loopholes as you said.
July 17, 2018
Cambion

I don't see the problem with the "loophole". Should kids have to suffer being unwanted or murdered just because their parents get sick of them at school age instead of as infants? Better if there is a system, than leaving them with breeders like that to be abused.
July 22, 2018
I want an update on all the kids that were abandoned in Nebraska. I can only imagine what the mental effects were.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
July 22, 2018
yurble
I don't see the problem with the "loophole". Should kids have to suffer being unwanted or murdered just because their parents get sick of them at school age instead of as infants? Better if there is a system, than leaving them with breeders like that to be abused.

I think it's one of those double-edged sword kinds of things. Should parents be allowed to ditch their kids instead of raising them in potentially unloving, neglectful and/or abusive homes? Sure, if a terrible childhood with people who don't want them is the alternative. But then I could see there being no incentive for parents to try to be parents if they can just dump their kids like trash. You know those people who have kids just because they want a cute baby to play with and then have a new kid every 2 years because they want babies and not children? I could see those kinds of parents just having a new loaf every couple of years and abandoning their older kids at a safe haven because there is nothing to stop them.

So yes, I think it could definitely be good if people could legally abandon their kids at a safe haven without any sort of repercussions instead of taking them home and treating them like crap. But I think there would have to be stipulations. Like if you surrender your kid to a safe haven, you can't go and have more kids because who is to say you won't surrender them too? You also can't try to get your child back like when people adopt out their kids at birth and steal them back from the adoptive parents four years later because they decided they want to be parents after all.

Also, could it be something that's available to runaway kids too? Or would just parents be allowed to leave kids there and kids couldn't decide to leave home and go to a safe haven on their own terms?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login