Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mariella actually gives a decent response to male wannabreed

Posted by lurker-derp 
Mariella actually gives a decent response to male wannabreed
July 15, 2018
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jul/15/i-want-a-child-in-order-to-feel-fulfilled-but-my-girlfriend-says-no

There's a part of me that thinks the answer may have been different if the LW was a woman and not a man, but who knows; even a broken clock is right twice a day.

NB. Mariella's answer is long-winded as usual so I've taken the liberty of highlighting certain parts.

The dilemma My girlfriend of 18 months has said no to having another child. She’s 44, I’m 38 and she’s my first serious relationship. I’m completely broken; she has known from the start I’ve wanted one. She already has a six-year-old daughter from an abusive, cheating ex, who got her pregnant after six weeks together and left her just after their daughter was born. Her main reason seems to be medical complications from her first pregnancy. I haven’t really bonded much with her daughter – she adores her mum – but that’s probably her age. I feel unfulfilled in life, have an average social life and job so bringing up someone’s else’s child isn’t the same. I fear being alone again without the support she has given me – more than my own family would. I was thinking of surrogacy as a desperate last resort but that seems weird, and may only be viable if she didn’t have a daughter already.

Mariella replies First things first. This is the sort of non-negotiable detail that I wish budding couples would attempt to settle, or at the very least establish ground rules on, at the outset. There’s no other partnership we’d enter into without defining terms and the person we’re attempting to spend our lives with seems the most serious of any such prospective union. I appreciate that falling in love isn’t a rational matter but despite the rush of hormones to the head there are certain stumbling blocks that even blind love won’t overcome. Whether or not to have children would certainly seem to fall into that category. Perhaps your girlfriend failed to articulate her reluctance to have another child, or perhaps like so many others you didn’t stop to listen, or presumed time would shape your future together in your favour.

She seems pretty emphatic that she doesn’t want another child so I’m not sure what you want me to do about it. For better or for worse, we women are, among many other things, incubators. Rightly, that gives us final say on whether to procreate although it’s a powerful choice we far too often leave to chance or fate. Has it occurred to you that she already feels she has her hands full?

First of all there’s her six-year-old, with whom, by your own admission, you haven’t yet developed a meaningful relationship. That would definitely have been a good place to get in some practice on the parenting front and the first lesson to learn is that you need to work hard for any kid’s affection, whether biologically created or romantically inherited. How do you see that unrequited relationship panning out with a new baby in the house? It’s one of many serious considerations that you seem to have deftly dodged in place of your dogged determination to have a baby in your own image. Second, and perhaps most importantly, when you describe your relationship you could be describing a parent rather than a lover. The only regret you seem to have about the possibility of splitting up is that you will no longer have her exceptional “support”.

Career frustration and a desire for distraction are not great reasons for having a child. Too many children are already born out of carelessness or the misplaced notion that one small life will make up for one larger unfulfilled one. Your reasons for wanting a child appear to centre on a desire to improve the quality of your own life. As any parent will tell you, that’s initially unlikely to happen when you assume responsibility for a defenceless baby.

Creating a little mini-me that will add colour and excitement to your humdrum existence is a huge responsibility to place on the shoulders of a child and highlights your misplaced expectations of parenthood. It sounds like you have a lot of work to do on achieving contentment in your own life before you’re ready for a committed relationship, let alone bringing another human being into the world. Having placed the burden of “support” on to your girlfriend’s shoulders, you’re now looking to her to give your life meaning and purpose by bearing you a child, and that alone is a good enough reason for her to decline the invitation.

You chose a woman perilously close to the end of her fertile life, who already has a child and seems little interested in having another. If she expressed enthusiasm at the outset you have every reason to feel aggrieved. If this baby-daddy determination of yours is genuine – and not just a whim in pursuit of personal fulfilment – then the answer is an easy one: it’s time to sacrifice the security of this relationship to seek out a partner who is equally committed to starting a family.

I’m not convinced that you are prepared, or that you’ve realistically considered the consequences of – rather than romanticised ideals for – starting a family. That said you wouldn’t be the first person who walked blindly into parenting and learned about the skills and the sacrifices on the job. It looks like the right choice for you is the wrong one for your partner, which means it’s time for you both to start over.
Re: Mariella actually gives a decent response to male wannabreed
July 15, 2018
He doesn't love her anyway. If he did, he'd never want her to risk her health just to give him a baby. He sounds like a whiny baby anyways, maybe he should grow up before making such large decisions.
July 15, 2018
Agreed. And he does seem like a whiny little twat who just wants to prove his dick works now that he has his first serious relationship at age 38.

ETA:

Og
I feel unfulfilled in life, have an average social life and job so bringing up someone’s else’s child isn’t the same.

These thoughts have no logical link between them. I presume he means he can only achieve fulfillment if he rears his own DNA product, which I'm sure makes him a completely charming guy.

More Og
Her main reason seems to be medical complications from her first pregnancy.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

This woman needs to run fast and run far. If she caves and tries to get pregnant (not a good idea) and fails to achieve one at age 44, I'm sure he would be even more of a whiny little bitch and would blame his unhappiness on her. Worse yet, let's say she succeeds and gives him a DNA replicant. This guy can't make it any more clear that her present offspring would be a back-of-the-coucher.

She is a Moo and she needs to do the responsible thing for her kid.
July 15, 2018
I was also surprised when I saw her response, since usually she's completely breeder-brained, but this guy was so obviously an Og looking for evidence that his dick works, I guess the red flags were impossible to miss. Probably he's only with her because she's the first woman who has paid him any attention and looks at her with contempt for having reproduced with another man. He's seething that she won't breed with him, given that she's the kind of woman who lets men impregnate her. He's sexist and has no respect for her or himself, and probably thinks he's a nice guy. I wonder how long before he starts taking out his frustrations on the kid he ignores?
July 15, 2018
He's probably angry by the response to his letter, because he figured the woman who writes the column is so breeder-brained, she'll just go ahead and tell him to breed with her at any - or all - cost. bouncing and laughing

Personally, I seriously think this idiot hates women and if his future breeder-mate (yes, I suspect he'll dump his original gf to go find someone who he can easily breed with) gives him a female sprog, he'll probably hate that too. I suspect he's looking for some golden-penis to help him feel like a "Real Man".
July 15, 2018
mumofsixbirds
Personally, I seriously think this idiot hates women and if his future breeder-mate (yes, I suspect he'll dump his original gf to go find someone who he can easily breed with) gives him a female sprog, he'll probably hate that too. I suspect he's looking for some golden-penis to help him feel like a "Real Man".

And if he finds a woman near the end of her reproductive years, he's probably only going to get one chance. Assuming this cave-dweller can find any woman who wants him. If not for his job, I'd wonder if he was the awtard from the smothering thread.

Speaking of these assholes who only want a golden penis, Jesse Lee Peterson, some asshole radio host, clearly takes the cake. Speaking of the SCOTUS nominee, who is clearly a creep who doesn't care about women's reproductive freedom, he said Kavanaugh is not a real man because he has daughters. According to Peterson, real men produce children of the correct gender first: "Real men make boys first and I notice that most men are not real men anymore and they are making girls."
July 15, 2018
He sounds like one of many people who have internalized the idea that only one thing in life can make them happy which is breeding and at 38 has made it a single-minded pursuit. Likely women in his past have caught a whiff of this desperation and moved on much like both men and women do when encountering a partner who is desperate to the point of neediness to reproduce.

I think these are exactly the type of people who will be most unhappy if/once they meet their goal and realize they will be facing a great deal of challenges because even the happiest and most fulfilled parents won't deny the enormous and continuous work involved. The more of an objective mindset a person has the more likely they are to decided against very high risk and potential low/no reward situations. There are many routes to happiness but most mean investing and effort of some sort.

I'm guessing there are people who haven't had many opportunities in their formative years to want something, work hard for it and then realize once they had it that there are some drawbacks and it wasn't as perfect as they thought. The first time this happens it can be bewildering but once it has happened numerous times a person matures and starts to understand reality and that even positive things may include drawbacks such as upkeep or unexpected costs in maintenance. It also dispenses of childish illusion and an absolutist mentality.

I knew a woman who became accidentally pregnant and decided to keep the baby. She was in a loving relationship and had several much younger foster siblings who she had helped raise after she left the house as an adult, just because she enjoyed helping. She also had fostered kids for several years and knew exactly what to expect. She (by far) had the easiest transition to parenting I've ever seen. Which begs the question about this gentleman. If he really liked parenting and being around kids why isn't he extremely involved in his girlfriend's daughter? Has he bothered to foster or help raise other kids (have to guess but I would say no)?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login