Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Essure off the market

Posted by yurble 
Essure off the market
July 21, 2018

Pharmaceutical giant Bayer announced on Friday that it will halt US sales of its controversial sterilization device, Essure, in the face of lawsuits filed by more than 10,000 women who claim the birth control led to serious complications.

"This decision is based on a decline in U.S. sales of Essure in recent years and the conclusion that the Essure business is no longer sustainable," Bayer said in a statement Friday announcing that it will stop sales after Dec. 31. "We continue to stand behind the product's safety and efficacy."

Prior to this announcement, the US was the only country left in the world in which Essure was sold. In September 2017, the company had announced that it would halt sales in every country aside from the US, also citing commercial reasons.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/azeenghorayshi/bayer-stops-sales-essure-birth-control
Re: Essure off the market
July 21, 2018
I wonder if it led to it's purpose of permanent sterilization and wanna moos are suing
July 21, 2018
When i went for my sterilization i almost went with essure but my obgyn strongly recommended just having my fallopian tubes removed, glad i listened because i really have heard alot of bad things about essure. Being that the doc sterilized me imo the best way possible i doubt he was trying to go breeder brain on me, i know im going against the grain here but i really do believe essure is not the best sterilization option.
July 21, 2018
cfdavep
I wonder if it led to it's purpose of permanent sterilization and wanna moos are suing

No, the criticism is about the method itself. My government opened an inquiry into Essure, which is not something they would do if the concern was regret. I felt bullied into opting for Essure in order to access sterilization at all. Overall, my experience with Essure has been negative, while being sterilized remains a positive to me.

Of course this means that methods of sterilization continue to diminish (and let's not forget Essure killed Adiana), but it's better to have fewer methods than unsafe ones.
July 21, 2018
yurble
cfdavep

No, the criticism is about the method itself. My government opened an inquiry into Essure, which is not something they would do if the concern was regret. I felt bullied into opting for Essure in order to access sterilization at all. Overall, my experience with Essure has been negative, while being sterilized remains a positive to me.

Of course this means that methods of sterilization continue to diminish (and let's not forget Essure killed Adana), but it's better to have fewer methods than unsafe ones.

My doc said if something went wrong with essure id have to have my tubes removed anyway so may as well remove the tubes.
July 22, 2018
I remember seeing stuff about this a few months ago and that there had been all kinds of issues with Essure. Aside from it outright failing (like scans showing blocked tubes, but women still getting pregnant), there were other problems with it like allergies or the coils causing major pain and perforation and things that required surgery to fix. But I know a lot of women also had positive experiences with it. I think there wasn't sufficient long-term research about the side effects of the implants, so nobody knew what they were getting into until anywhere from one to several years after insertion when they started getting knocked up or coils would dislodge and float off into the abdominal cavity.

I guess it's a good thing that a potentially harmful sterilization method is no longer available, but the downside is one fewer sterilization option and having to fight tooth and nail to get a normal tube tying sterilization again.
July 23, 2018
Many years ago, the doctor who performed my tubal was the department head at a teaching hospital.
He strongly discouraged using essure for the already stated issues.

My tubes were cut, cauterized and a section removed, followed by ablation.
"If you are sure - get the cure !"
July 23, 2018

I felt bullied into opting for Essure in order to access sterilization at all.

That's just so wrong.

I was sterilized in 1998 and I had my tubes burned. I don't believe Essure was available then. Had it been later, I still would not have been a candidate because I am sensitive to nickel. I have a friend who is also sensitive to nickel and that ruled her out for Essure. It sounds as if she dodged a bullet.
July 23, 2018
bell_flower

I felt bullied into opting for Essure in order to access sterilization at all.

That's just so wrong.

I was sterilized in 1998 and I had my tubes burned. I don't believe Essure was available then. Had it been later, I still would not have been a candidate because I am sensitive to nickel. I have a friend who is also sensitive to nickel and that ruled her out for Essure. It sounds as if she dodged a bullet.

It makes me furious that women do not get the contraceptives they want, or fail to obtain medical care at all when their reproductive organs are involved in a non-reproductive capacity (PCOS, fibroids, etc), due to the patronizing way in which women are treated in healthcare, and the lack of legally assured access which leaves it up to the doctor's whims. Even in my rather liberal country, contraception is treated as a 'have babies now or later' choice. Nobody would dream of denying abortions, yet sterilization is another matter. It is up to doctors to provide facts, and their recommendation, but they should shove their personal opinions about whether a woman wants/prefers sterilization/infertility where the sun doesn't shine.

It is precisely this lack of legal standards which led to me accepting Essure in place of the cauterization tubal that I wanted, but no doctor was willing to perform. Oh, and I do have nickel sensitivity, but according to the doctors, "Most people do." Despite my concerns, it was Essure or nothing that I was offered. I was extremely scathing in my response to the commission, because I see this not only as a health & safety failure, but as a systemic legislative failure to ensure women's reproductive freedom and bodily autonomy.
July 24, 2018
I got very very lucky with the sterilization lottery. I had a full hysterectomy when I didn't have cancer, just PCOS. Of course, I had anemia because of HEAVY periods and a bunch of other problems, and I have lots and lots of mental issues with autism. Medicare wouldn't cough for sterilization. Somehow, this doctor got it to put up for the hysterectomy. I don't know what the hell he said.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login