Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

theonion.com does it again

Posted by cfdavep 
theonion.com does it again
July 27, 2018
https://local.theonion.com/man-feeling-pressure-to-give-mom-grandchildren-while-sh-1827897436

Modern parenting
Re: theonion.com does it again
July 27, 2018
That is terrific!

I always have to share my fave onion article. An oldie but a goodie.

https://local.theonion.com/spoiled-doughy-brat-makes-local-parent-feel-spirituall-1819565096
July 27, 2018
cfdavep
https://local.theonion.com/man-feeling-pressure-to-give-mom-grandchildren-while-sh-1827897436

Modern parenting

So spot on, amazing how many people don't realize this is satire.
July 27, 2018
cfuter
That is terrific!

I always have to share my fave onion article. An oldie but a goodie.

https://local.theonion.com/spoiled-doughy-brat-makes-local-parent-feel-spirituall-1819565096

I completely agree with the writer and just don't get it. The husband's POV is also priceless.
July 29, 2018
yeah, to me, this article is not far from the true picture of today's parenthood. I almost gagged when I read an online survey that my friend wanted me to also answer. It was something like "what is the best part of your day" and she had written "the moment I first see my son's face". GAK! Of course, one reason she got to see that face early every day was that she had taken him into her bed from the age of 5 (when his father unfortunately died) to the age of ELEVEN! I had to verrry delicately remind her that a boy that age will probably already wake up with a woodie every morning, and who will HE see first---- her!! What can that do to a kid's psyche and sexual preferences? And , of course, he is now in his early 20s with substance abuse problems and is mostly unable to hold any sort of job, no drivers license, etc etc
And THIS is the woman who suggested that just maayyybbe I had been molested at an early age , which is why I didn't want to have kids! That WOULD be the only possible reason, right?
July 29, 2018
"And THIS is the woman who suggested that just maayyybbe I had been molested at an early age , which is why I didn't want to have kids! That WOULD be the only possible reason, right?"

This seems to be an ongoing thing with breeders. The idea that if you are CF then you must of been abused at an early age, early enough that it is somewhere in your subconsious and causing you to act out. I wonder if breeders do this as a power trip as they know that there is no way to gain access to the subconscious right on the spot with the press of a botton and say "Nope, no abuse just not interested"

Then again you have to wonder about a woman with a dead spouse who sleeps with her kid until age 11 talking to others about molestation. Maybe that kid was molested and is REALLY messed in the head today, no job and drug addictions
July 29, 2018
and so, so many times I wanted to get myself in a diplomatic-enough mood to say "these things are really NOT a good idea, you know?" But as we know, breeders will never listen to us and just snap "you have no kids, so you don't understand"! As IF we also have no brain, no experience, and no life knowledge (such as training in early childhood education[yes, me, if you can imagine that]). But until you have reproduced your own genetic matter, you just have no clue.
July 30, 2018
reeniebessagain
and so, so many times I wanted to get myself in a diplomatic-enough mood to say "these things are really NOT a good idea, you know?" But as we know, breeders will never listen to us and just snap "you have no kids, so you don't understand"! As IF we also have no brain, no experience, and no life knowledge (such as training in early childhood education[yes, me, if you can imagine that]). But until you have reproduced your own genetic matter, you just have no clue.

And the irony of the whole thing is that studies have shown that the higher the IQ of the person, the fewer kids they have.

The problem with the whole scenario is that I DO understand. I was a kid once, I've been around kids, and I even babysat for a few years. I totally understand that kids are a big, fat, unnecessary PITA and I didn't want them.
July 30, 2018
since we're on an Onion kick here

Disney World Opens New Ordeal Kingdom For Family Meltdowns

https://www.theonion.com/disney-world-opens-new-ordeal-kingdom-for-family-meltdo-1819578568?utm_content=Main&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=SF
July 31, 2018
it's also a pet theory of mine that we CF folks can actually relate to kids in some ways better than parents can. Not that I WANT to relate to kids, but... To me, it seems that we can remember , in a sort of pure way, BEING kids better than those who have had parenthood overlay the realities of childhood, if that makes any sense. I mean, when that same woman blithely allowed same boy, at 14, to go to his 16 year old GF's house to spend the night several times a week.... I said..."uh"?? And she says, oh, it's OK her Mom is there. I said, uh, a hard working waitress Mom sleeping can be trumped by teen hormones any minute of the day!! Have you actually forgotten how sneaky even we , in the 60s, were as teens in order to get laid , or smoke, or whatever!!?? so, no surprise (to ME at least) when she smirkingly said "guess who's no longer a virgin". I said--gee, I wonder if waitress Mom thinks maybe boy's social security from his Dad's death will extend to his and 16 year old girl's baby and sees a (small, but maybe to some significant) payday? Sigh!
July 31, 2018
reeniebessagain
it's also a pet theory of mine that we CF folks can actually relate to kids in some ways better than parents can. Not that I WANT to relate to kids, but... To me, it seems that we can remember , in a sort of pure way, BEING kids better than those who have had parenthood overlay the realities of childhood, if that makes any sense.

I have often had that feeling. I don't look on childhood through the rosy glasses of nostalgia, which it seems that a good many breeders must be doing, to say shit like that children are innocent and kind by nature. I remember how I felt about things as a child, whereas it seems like most adults project their current selves into the situations that they remember from childhood. Thus they talk about the bliss of no responsibilities, whereas the reality of childhood was stretches of boredom and impatience, being deeply hurt by a "friend" being mean, desperate yearning for maturity and the freedoms that accompanied it, being worried sick over world events completely outside of one's control, anxiety about the future, and so on.

Well, it turns out I was right: the freedom of maturity is far better than the freedom of irresponsibility you get as a child. I'm far happier today than I was as a kid.
July 31, 2018
It's a very interesting theory that CF people remember their childhoods better than parents.

The thing I'm thinking of is: Don't nearly all kids have a desire to fit in with their peers and not be the strange or different one? My parents didn't seem to understand why I didn't like it when they forced me to be different in some way. But didn't they want to fit in too when they were kids? Or maybe it just was not something they thought about because they were very normal kids for the time and place they grew up. They just did not seem to get that I needed to be normal for my time and place, and it totally sucked.
July 31, 2018
ondinette
It's a very interesting theory that CF people remember their childhoods better than parents.

The thing I'm thinking of is: Don't nearly all kids have a desire to fit in with their peers and not be the strange or different one? My parents didn't seem to understand why I didn't like it when they forced me to be different in some way. But didn't they want to fit in too when they were kids? Or maybe it just was not something they thought about because they were very normal kids for the time and place they grew up. They just did not seem to get that I needed to be normal for my time and place, and it totally sucked.

I think a lot of people have difficulty separating their feelings now from their memories. So they will say things like that when you're older you're appreciate being different or if your friends are mean to you make new friends. These things, while true, aren't taking into account how the child feels at that moment but just giving the adult's biography.

One teacher I had used to tell us about how things were different "in the real world" - as if our lived experiences existed in an alternate reality. I accepted that my perceptions and experiences would change over time, but resented the implication that all my life before adulthood was of no consequence. If an experience isn't relevant while being lived, there is no purpose to life.

Of course I look back on my emotions as a child with the distance of time - I don't feel them acutely. But I remember them accurately, instead of filtering through my current experiences.
July 31, 2018
ondinette

When I was a child/ teen, I did not want to fit in and be like most other kids.
They were repulsive, immature assholes for the most part and I treasured when I could be away from them.
Being different was a goddamn badge of honour compared to the idiotic attitudes and behaviors of my 'peers'.

This approach allowed me to analyze, consider and compare non-typical options in life instead of going along with the herd.
This resulted in me being atheist, childfree, marriage-free, developing relationships of my own design, rejecting dysfunctional family, and doing many independent and non-traditional things in life.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login