Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

News flash: fertility declines with age!

Posted by yurble 
News flash: fertility declines with age!
July 31, 2018
Warning: Link will visually assault you with an eyeful of pregnant belly.

Another article about fertility declining with age which claims that people are unaware of this fact. I mean, it's been all of 2 days since the last article on the topic was published, how are people supposed to be aware of it?

A survey of 1,215 students from the University of Melbourne found less than half could pick the age period when fertility in women declines significantly — for the record, it's 35 to 39 years old.

Fewer than one in five students could pick when men reach the twilight of their fertility years — between the ages of 45 and 49.

Well, clearly those students are dumb or not paying attention, because I don't give a fuck but know this anyway because of how often it is pushed by the media.

Anyhow, the article goes on to advocate for having kids anyway, regardless of what you want to accomplish, because otherwise it might be too late.

Fertility experts say the research points to a broader phenomenon of young people putting off having a baby because of "unrealistic expectations" of what they want to achieve before having children.

The paper's lead author, Eugenie Prior, says it's a worrying precedent.

Most of the university students she interviewed expressed an overwhelming desire to be parents one day.

"But there's so many things that they want to achieve before they have children," Dr Prior said.

"They want to be advanced in their profession, they want to be financially stable, they want to travel, they want to be in a stable relationships," she said.

I mean, how dare someone want to have a career, financial stability, and a stable relationship before breeding? Really, expectations are altogether too high.

"You've got to prioritise things that are meaningful to you," Dr Lew said.

"If it's really important to ...have children in their future, think about how that might happen and the context that it might happen," she said.

"It's something that can really save a lot of heartache later on."

Let's hope they prioritize all the interesting stuff, instead of breeding.
Re: News flash: fertility declines with age!
July 31, 2018
I think a lot of people are not aware of anything because they never read anything. That is why we CF people know more about things like fertility and how to properly care for a sprog because we actually take an interest in the world and READ about shit. Breeder types get all their information from rumors spread by their equally dumb and clueless friends.
July 31, 2018
There is really no good time to ever have brats. Either you're too young and stupid, but have the energy to run after them, or you're old and tired, and your eggs are scrambled. You're likely to pop out a defect which will ruin the rest of your life.

I don't see brats as a necessity to living a good life. If anything, I see it as the opposite. Almost everyone I know who has kids, their lives are pretty much fucked. Even the normal people who were married, had jobs, and waited until they were fairly stable before popping 'em out.

As an aside, I finally picked up a copy of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, and I'm currently reading it. It's friggin' scary, especially in the climate of what's going on in the States. I haven't watched the series yet, but I'm planning on it.
July 31, 2018
Quote from the article": "They want to be advanced in their profession, they want to be financially stable, they want to travel, they want to be in a stable relationships," she said.

I admire them having such high standards, even if they are unrealistic for the overwhelming majority. Perhaps their parents or grandparents were able to achieve this standard of living prior to having kids? I guess the good part is they have such high standards to meet that they will have plenty of time to figure out if they are in a stable relationship or not before breeding.

They better be getting their MBAs, JDs, Engineering or other high paying degrees if they expect to hit all these milestones by their early 30's. Being advanced in their position is going to require about 10 years of experience so they better start interning now. Financially stable will only happen early for them if they pick the right major and will still take years to achieve. Traveling is going to be tough to impossible to achieve while they are young and proving themselves unless they take longer to achieve financial stability and earn less in a less demanding field.

I knew of one person who was able to retire in his early 30's, he majored in Finance and was a trader. He saved tons of money and lived well below his means, as in saving over 50% of his salary and living in a small apartment in a sketchy side of town. Drove older used but extremely reliable Hondas that were worth less than 15% of his yearly salary and put over 150,000 miles on them before getting rid of any. No vacations either. He had nice clothing for work (business attire required) and great furniture, those were his only indulgences. But most people won't earn as much as he did and they certainly won't save like him either.

Even if they can achieve these goals and be say, 30 then what happens when they have a kid? Does one parent become the one to stay at home? Do they hire a nanny? Because if a couple has two demanding, well-paying jobs their employers expect 100% commitment and they aren't going to pay a breeder $250K to miss meetings for soccer practice when there are plenty of hungry potential employees that will make it work. Unless you're in the .0001% exception that invent some software and can sell it for a fortune, are a movie star or athlete, are from a wealthy family or own a company that you sell for millions.

If we didn't have so darn many people in the world there would be less competition for resources.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login