Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diaper dilemma

Posted by gracieallen 
Diaper dilemma
September 09, 2018
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/07/diaper-need/399041/

Condoms are sooooo much cheaper than diapers!!! The moooooing about how expensive diapers and formula are!!
Re: Diaper dilemma
September 09, 2018
So why don't these broke-ass Moos use cloth diapers if the disposable ones are so expensive? I know they might be more expensive than the throwaway diapers, but they're also reusable. The issue is every single Moo thinks she's just so bizzy that she doesn't have time to wash cloth shitrags, even if it would mean saving a fucking fortune on diapers.

Or better yet, why don't they think for longer than a fraction of a second about how much a loaf is going to cost their asses? I know that's asking a lot, but it's just crazy enough to work!

Give them a pack of cloth diapers and show them how to wash them because a lot of these women probably wouldn't have the sense to breathe on their own if it wasn't an involuntary action. If they can't make fucking time to wash a rag for their own kids, then they don't have time to be parents, period. And the things these women do in order to make diapers last longer can't be good for their kids' health either. Some of these women will let their kids sit in their own filth for 12+ hours. Is it really cheaper when you have to take your kid to a doctor for a UTI or some other problem on a monthly basis because you're pinching pennies on diapers?

Get cloth nappies and get some elbow length rubber gloves. Flush contents of diaper in toilet, wash off in toilet, then wash normally in washing machine with bleach or whatever. I was basically doing this with wash cloths when my cat started having projectile liquid diarrhea on the floor multiple times a day and it's not hard at all. Gross, yes, but not difficult. Yes it's more effort than tossing the whole mess away and forgetting about it, but it's also going to save a bundle on disposable diapers.
September 10, 2018
I'd say that if a person has a kid and is too dense to figure out he/she can't afford diapers then he/she is stupid and has no hope. The mental health problems started before the kid was born, perhaps even earlier than when the same person didn't take proper precautions to prevent a pregnancy.
September 10, 2018
Another attack of diaper need, I see. I give just as many fucks as I did the last time someone was whining about that.

If millions of women can figure out reusable menstrual products because of cost and the environment, these resource-producing breeders can damn well figure out cloth diapers.
September 10, 2018
Another way to save money is to potty train the kid before he/she is 3. Seems to be lots of 3+ year old diaper wearers that are normal functioning with parents too lazy to potty train.
September 10, 2018
One of the local leading members of the Green Party was low income and became pregnant.
They had a small home with laundry and a clothesline.

As a gift, I offered to make a full set of custom cloth diapers and covers for the full requirements until toilet training.
(This would be weeks of work for me to complete the sewing and cutting and a real stretch on my low income)

I was told not to bother because they were not going to use cloth diapers.
It would have cost them pennies and very little effort, as both parents were part-time employed.
I felt very angry and I never spoke to them again.

----------------------------------------------------
https://lisaboerum.wordpress.com/tag/cost-of-diapers/

"diaper costs have a huge impact on the cost of having a baby. The cost of diapers depend on whether you choose cloth diapers or disposable diapers to diaper your baby. The average cost of disposable diapers for one baby from birth to potty training is about $2400. For a family of 2 children the cost of disposable diapers will be about $4889.40. The average cost of cloth diapers is about $347.00 and can be used on multiple babies. The cost of laundering cloth diapers for 3 years is about $219.00"
September 10, 2018
cassia
One of the local leading members of the Green Party was low income and became pregnant.
They had a small home with laundry and a clothesline.

As a gift, I offered to make a full set of custom cloth diapers and covers for the full requirements until toilet training.
(This would be weeks of work for me to complete the sewing and cutting and a real stretch on my low income)

I was told not to bother because they were not going to use cloth diapers.
It would have cost them pennies and very little effort, as both parents were part-time employed.
I felt very angry and I never spoke to them again.

"diaper costs have a huge impact on the cost of having a baby. The cost of diapers depend on whether you choose cloth diapers or disposable diapers to diaper your baby. The average cost of disposable diapers for one baby from birth to potty training is about $2400. For a family of 2 children the cost of disposable diapers will be about $4889.40. The average cost of cloth diapers is about $347.00 and can be used on multiple babies. The cost of laundering cloth diapers for 3 years is about $219.00"

This was an incredibly sweet gesture on your part cassia. I can understand wanting the convenience of disposables for the occasional travel. But for the Green Party members to turn down your offer? At least it spared you the effort.
September 10, 2018
cassia

From the link:
According to the Real Diaper Association, disposable diapers contain traces of Dioxin which is listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all carcinogenic chemicals. It is an extremely toxic by-product of the diaper bleaching process and is banned in most countries. It is NOT BANNED IN THE USA! Disposable diapers also contain a toxin known to cause hormonal problems, a substance known to cause toxic shock syndrome, and studies have shown that the chemical emissions from disposables can cause respiratory problems in children.

What if disposable diapers are part of the issue of what is causing so many health issues in kids? I was at the very end of the cloth diaper era, my younger sibling had disposable diapers. The kids slightly younger than me were the first to start to see more overweight kids and autism and it has just increased from there. And there was less regulation in the 1980's than today, asbestos and lead poisoning come to mind. Hmmm.
September 10, 2018
Cassia, I can't believe your offer was turned down...by a Green Party leader, no less! I usually vote for them, but not now. Obviously, this individual does not give TWO SHITS (pun intended) about the environment.

Not only are disposable diapers bad for loaves and expensive for their parunts, but they are also a hazard to the environment. My sister raised her three kids on cloth diapers and it didn't hurt any of them. Sure, it was a stinky, dirty job, but her kids were trained early, and it saved her money.

It just goes to show how lazy people have become.
September 10, 2018
Cassia, that was extremely generous of you and completely outrageous that she refused. Clearly she is "green" in name only.
September 11, 2018
I am old enough that cloth diapers were the sole option. It was not unusual for my generation to be potty trained early. I remember hearing my mom say it was around 15 months for me and my siblings. Once we became mobile we could take care of that ourselves.
Now this is unheard of--some kids are not potty trained until age 4 or 5. (How completely nasty as far as clean up.)

Many factors have contributed to this. Diaper companies pressured pediatricians (and no doubt dispensed the cash) to espouse chyld-led potty training. (As with any chyld-led activity, such as giving up a pacifier or potty training or giving up the teat, these things happen much later than they should.) You have kids with full sets of teeth who are still boob feeding and are old enough to be pawing at their mom's shirts and asking to be fed. Kids who are 3-5 are treated like babies. I see so many of them being wheeled in those giant SUV strollers. When my mom and I go out in public, she's similarly disgusted. My mom makes remarks about the modern parents and how stupid they are. The little shits have a lot of energy--make them walk and wear their asses out. Instead the brats are wheeled around like royalty and they are also fat.

Anyway, with the cloth diaper + plastic pants combination, the kid knows he/she is wet and can make the connection. A kid who is wet wants to be potty trained. Disposable diapers have high tech wicking material. Some of them even advertise that it's okay to leave the kid in for long periods of time (more complete nastiness) to cater to lazy parents.

ETA, that Green Party asshole deserves the trout slap.
September 11, 2018
I took an anatomy class around 2005. The textbook said kids can be potty trained between 2 and 3 years of age, several students who were parents disagreed and said it was between 1 and 2.

About extended breastfeeding: I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard at least some baybees naturally lose interest in the boob around 8 to 10 months of age. If so, at least in some cases it's the moo who wants to tit feed forever. But we knew that.

In the 80s it was common to see parents stop walking and wait for their tiny sprog to catch up. I don't remember the last time I saw that. I admit I would find it annoying, but that is one of the many reasons I am CF. People who choose to have kids should accept they will be inconvenienced.
September 11, 2018
Thanks everybody !
That decision to make a pile of custom cloth diapers had a bunch of ethical issues for me.
I am not sure if I can articulate them all now.

I am willing to try to extend efforts for people who :
- are trying to help the community
- are in genuine need (ie low income longterm)
- to assist with an ecological option (ie cloth diapers)

My negatives on this issue were:
- people squatting out kids they can not afford
- ecological people having kids
- societal expectation that people who are having kids should have resources thrown at them, but rarely for people who are non-parents
- the extreme effort of time and money from me when I have limited resources
- ecological people throwing green efforts on the literal shit pile when they have kids

I do not regret cutting those people from my life due to that situation.
I felt I had to make an ethical stand.
September 11, 2018
cassia
I felt I had to make an ethical stand.

You were more than fair, for all the reasons you iterated. Good on you for standing up for what you believe in...especially since they certainly aren't.
September 11, 2018
ondinette
In the 80s it was common to see parents stop walking and wait for their tiny sprog to catch up. I don't remember the last time I saw that. I admit I would find it annoying, but that is one of the many reasons I am CF. People who choose to have kids should accept they will be inconvenienced.

I still see this all the time. Usually the kid is blocking lots of other adults and walking very slowly. Fine to inconvenience the parents but not to bottleneck a bunch of strangers in public. I don't care to wait on a toadler for 5 extra minutes to press an elevator button or give money to a cashier while people bottleneck all around this. Or those stupid child sized carts so brats can bottleneck aisle space in grocery stores. Plastic shopping carts can be bought for and left at home where brats can spend half an hour walking 15 feet.
September 12, 2018
Cambion
So why don't these broke-ass Moos use cloth diapers if the disposable ones are so expensive? I know they might be more expensive than the throwaway diapers, but they're also reusable. The issue is every single Moo thinks she's just so bizzy that she doesn't have time to wash cloth shitrags, even if it would mean saving a fucking fortune on diapers.

Or better yet, why don't they think for longer than a fraction of a second about how much a loaf is going to cost their asses? I know that's asking a lot, but it's just crazy enough to work!

Give them a pack of cloth diapers and show them how to wash them because a lot of these women probably wouldn't have the sense to breathe on their own if it wasn't an involuntary action. If they can't make fucking time to wash a rag for their own kids, then they don't have time to be parents, period. And the things these women do in order to make diapers last longer can't be good for their kids' health either. Some of these women will let their kids sit in their own filth for 12+ hours. Is it really cheaper when you have to take your kid to a doctor for a UTI or some other problem on a monthly basis because you're pinching pennies on diapers?

Get cloth nappies and get some elbow length rubber gloves. Flush contents of diaper in toilet, wash off in toilet, then wash normally in washing machine with bleach or whatever. I was basically doing this with wash cloths when my cat started having projectile liquid diarrhea on the floor multiple times a day and it's not hard at all. Gross, yes, but not difficult. Yes it's more effort than tossing the whole mess away and forgetting about it, but it's also going to save a bundle on disposable diapers.

In California, it may prove infeasible to use cloth diapers with Jerry Brown's new permanent water restrictions.

Californians are only allowed to use 55 gallons of water and are not allowed to shower and wash clothes on the same day. It doesn't matter if there's a drought or not.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article211333594.html

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
October 07, 2018
Had to place this somewhere, kid uses potty chair in the middle of an airliner: https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/mom-lets-child-use-potty-in-plane-aisle-polarizes-travelers.html
October 08, 2018

Parent brings own potty seat on board, sets it in aisle midflight to have child use (in front of everyone)—when discovered by crew was advised she couldn't do this and would need to utilize the unoccupied lavatory...and her reply..."I don’t give a s**t!" the post stated.

How classy. It's too haaaaaaard to drag her kid back to the toilet and have it do its business back there. Nope! Whip out the potty in front of everyone on board, stick it in the middle of the aisle so everyone can trip over it, and then have the kid do its business so everyone can have the distinct pleasure of smelling fresh excreta. Yum yum!

Others simply wondered how the woman was able to get the potty onto the plane.

Me too, depending on how big it was. If it was one of those kinds that's about the size of a cat bed, I could see how it might fit into a suitcase. Otherwise, how'd she get it on board? Also, what did she intend to do with the contents of said potty once her kid was done using it? My guess is either have some poor employee or passenger empty it for her or just leave it in the aisle and assume everyone is going to be okay with stepping over it.

Don't forget about elimination communication either! While it's at least more environmentally friendly than disposable diapers, it's also fucking disgusting and straight-up bizarre. Imagine sitting around all day long staring at your child waiting for it to offer "facial cues" that signal it's about to piss or shit. Then you have to try to rush and get a bucket or Tupperware container underneath said child before it messes all over the floor. In typical child fashion, even babies don't let you know they have to go until about five seconds before they actually go, and from all the stories I've read about this practice, parents miss catching their child's bodily fluids more often than not. Not to mention the delightful practice of encouraging kids to just go whenever and wherever they want without learning to hold it for a minute or two or learning appropriate places to go.

Nope! Just shit standing up like a horse! Hell, even domestic horses sort of wear diapers - those sacks that are strapped to their backsides to catch droppings (I don't know what they're called). Because I'm sure when Junior is six years old and still shits in a bucket, his teachers will be just honored to follow them around with mixing bowls all day in class to catch falling turds!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login