Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who will care for you when you're old? Robots.

Posted by freya 
Who will care for you when you're old? Robots.
September 16, 2018
Not someone's kid.
After this become somewhat commonplace expect the moos and duhs to latch on to this idea for babysitting and most of the tedious (which is all) child rearing tasks. I foresee a day when parents will interact with their kids for an hour or two a day and the rest of the time the child will mostly be occupied by a robot (aka lil' boundary setter) so robot replaces a nanny and a house keeper. Parents on drugs or whatever probably won't bother to interact with their kids at all or very little. Daycare as we know it will be collectively ditched and the buildings turned into Starbucks. As kids grow up the nanny program will start to be phased out by with a tutor program that teaches Bratleigh the skills necessary to play softball. Perhaps less people will bother to have kids knowing a robot will take care of them when they are old but then again we haven't introduced advertising to the equation. More clever programs will be introduced and pretty soon 3-4 robots per house will be ubiquitous.

If no kids then a robot as a housekeeper and/or gardener.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/robots-will-probably-help-care-for-you-when-you%e2%80%99re-old/ar-BBNb76m?ocid=ientp
Re: Who will care for you when your old? Robots.
September 16, 2018
Three to four robots per household? Personally, I can't wait.
Re: Who will care for you when your old? Robots.
September 16, 2018
skyeyes
Three to four robots per household? Personally, I can't wait.

No kidding!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Re: Who will care for you when you're old? Robots.
September 16, 2018
Oooh, I want a robot! I would put him to work immediately. He can mow my lawn, do a little landscaping, and wash the windows. I think this is a brilliant idea! I'd sooner trust a robot to do these things for me, than hire a human being who might want to rob me when I'm too old to defend myself.
September 16, 2018
Robots? Like in Big Hero 6 and NextGen? Sign me up!
September 16, 2018
Robots? I could use one now to clean my basement!
September 16, 2018
Robots would do a better job of raising kids than some breeders.

In fact, we're already headed there-- look how many "toys" are actually designed to occupy children with tasks that parents used to perform. Reading stories and interaction? Set a toy in front of your kid and let it do the socialization you should be doing.

As for robots caring for you when you're old, bring it on. I've seen how humans treat the elderly in nursing homes. Give me the robot for sure.
September 16, 2018
Wondering how soon this will happen? A robot can be programmed to never lose patience or give in to kids or elderly. A robot can also lift people without issue and body damage. There is quite a bit of damage that can be avoided with robots (child/elderly abuse, damage to caretakers, etc.). If an elderly/disabled person is independent but has a health issue (fainting or something) that could be fatal then a robot could be programmed to scan vitals, detect issues and alert the authorities.
September 17, 2018
For those of us who are introverts, robot caretakers sound great. I don't expect to become a lonely old person so long as there's the internet for interaction, and robots to care for bodily needs. It isn't unusual for me to go for days without any in-person interaction, when I'm working from home. I find that one social activity a week is quite enough.
September 17, 2018
What really amuses me about the whole robot discussion are the incels who claim that female sexbots will make women obsolete. Yeah, cause apparently there wouldn't be a market for himbots among straight women and gay men.

Anyway, it's 2018 - where is my robot butler I was promised? Did The Jetsons lie to me?
September 18, 2018
JoJo
What really amuses me about the whole robot discussion are the incels who claim that female sexbots will make women obsolete. Yeah, cause apparently there wouldn't be a market for himbots among straight women and gay men.

Maybe if they get their sexbots they'll have no reason to crawl out from under their rocks to bother the rest of us.
September 18, 2018
I would never do this as a young and healthy person, and im not depressed/suicidal; but when i am am getting to be so old that i can no longer care for myself, im taking a one way trip to switzerland. The assisted suicide organization dignitas accepts foreigners and you dont need to have a terminal illness just need to be suffering and that includes emotional pain too not just physical.

Ive seen youtube videos of it is a super peaceful death, you just drink the concoction and drift off to sleep. I dont want to rot in a nursing home, NOR would i want unqualified adult kids taking care of me so please don't take it the wrong way.

But its a super peaceful death and when i can no longer care for myself drifting off to sleep is exactly how id want to pass.
September 19, 2018
ladybug2203
I would never do this as a young and healthy person, and im not depressed/suicidal; but when i am am getting to be so old that i can no longer care for myself, im taking a one way trip to switzerland. The assisted suicide organization dignitas accepts foreigners and you dont need to have a terminal illness just need to be suffering and that includes emotional pain too not just physical.

Ive seen youtube videos of it is a super peaceful death, you just drink the concoction and drift off to sleep. I dont want to rot in a nursing home, NOR would i want unqualified adult kids taking care of me so please don't take it the wrong way.

But its a super peaceful death and when i can no longer care for myself drifting off to sleep is exactly how id want to pass.

I'm with you, ladybug; the idea of rotting in a nursing home is a no-go for me. I'll also be off to Switzerland to eat some chocolate and then take a nice long nap.
September 19, 2018
Here he is!

https://www.anki.com/en-us/vector
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login