Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anti-vaxxer's baby catches pertussis from her other unvaxed kid, but she did the right thing!

Posted by Cambion 
https://www.boredpanda.com/ill-son-anti-vaccinate-mom/

The short version is this anti-vax cow's 2-month-old son caught whooping cough from her older unvaccinated daughter and she goes on about how horrible it is to watch him suffer. And while she asks if anybody's unvaxed kids have ever gotten terribly sick, she's also sick of being "mom shamed" for "doing the right thing (not vaccinating)." I think the baby was too young for immunizations, but her older child was definitely old enough to have gotten her shots.

Must be nice to be totally blameless when your blatant neglect of your children causes them to get potentially life-threateningly sick. I wonder how many other people her petri dish brat sickened.
What a neglectful asshole. I wish the law could intervene in cases like this. If you're physically able to receive the shots, you should be required to do so.
randomcfchick
What a neglectful asshole. I wish the law could intervene in cases like this. If you're physically able to receive the shots, you should be required to do so.

The law is only slowly working its way up to punishing breeders for refusing to give their children medical treatment, even if it results in death. For all those children who starve because they aren't breastfeeding, or who die of a fever because their breeders would rather pray than take them to a doctor, only a few are be charged. And that is negligence so obvious anyone ought to be able to see it.

For breeders to get punished for using unsubstantiated beliefs to deny medical treatment not resulting in death, or to engage in non-medical bodily modifications on children, people would have to stop seeing children as things that belong to their parents.
yurble
people would have to stop seeing children as things that belong to their parents.

Considering how moos in particular talk about their sprogs, especially their sons, that's unfortunately not going to happen any time soon.
I would really love to know how it's not considered neglect or even endangerment to refuse to vaccinate your child. Barring legitimate circumstances like being too young or having an allergy to anything in the shots, there is no reason whatsoever for a child to not get their vaccinations.

I kind of wish that doctors would do what vets do and refuse to provide care unless the patient is vaccinated, but I know that wouldn't deter Moos. They would just never take their children to the hospital - that'll show 'em! I could easily picture one of these anti-vax assholes refusing to get their dying kids emergency medical care because they would need to be vaccinated before or after treatment.

If schools make vaccinations mandatory for enrollment, Moos will just shop around for a school that will accept religious/philosophical exemptions or they'll just home school or un-school.

Makes me wonder what would happen if an anti-vaxer's kid was exposed to rabies. Would they refuse to get them shots for a disease that is 100 percent fatal? My guess is they'd take their chances with rabies because at least it's not AUTISM! I just don't know how this dumbass (or any anti-vaxer) can sit there looking at her child suffering through a terrible illness that could have been completely prevented by vaccinations and still say she feels she did the right thing by not getting her kids their shots (the ones who could get them, at least). I wonder whose fault this is if not Moo's.
Cambion
Makes me wonder what would happen if an anti-vaxer's kid was exposed to rabies. Would they refuse to get them shots for a disease that is 100 percent fatal? My guess is they'd take their chances with rabies because at least it's not AUTISM! I just don't know how this dumbass (or any anti-vaxer) can sit there looking at her child suffering through a terrible illness that could have been completely prevented by vaccinations and still say she feels she did the right thing by not getting her kids their shots (the ones who could get them, at least). I wonder whose fault this is if not Moo's.

I believe these people are generally okay with reactive medicine, just not preventative medicine. So when their children do fall ill with whooping cough or whatever, they do get them medical treatment. Rabies would be an interesting case, because if the person hasn't had the vaccine (and most people haven't, it isn't a standard vaccine), they need treatment after exposure but before they show signs of illness. So I wonder if they'd consider it preventative or reactive?
There was something on Reddit where a father wanted to know his legal recourse to getting his young daughter the rabies vaccination because she was bitten by a raccoon. The mother was adamant about the child not being vaccinated at all (the kid didn’t receive any of her standard shots) and refused to allow the child to get the rabies vaccine, never mind the fact that rabies is 100% fatal after symptoms show. Only one person has ever survived rabies and that was after doing something incredibly experimental that has failed in every other subject and even then, she had to relearn how to walk, talk, feed herself, get dressed, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
paragon schnitzophonic
Only one person has ever survived rabies and that was after doing something incredibly experimental that has failed in every other subject and even then, she had to relearn how to walk, talk, feed herself, get dressed, etc.

That would be Jeanna Giese. We discussed her on here some time ago:
http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,182208

That procedure is called the Milwaukee Protocol and it has a very, very tiny success rate. Something like six out of the 36 or so people who have done it lived, and I don't even know if any besides Giese got well enough to resume normal life. Even then, I believe Giese spent 2-3 years learning how to walk, talk, and be a person again.

But I'm sure breeders will latch onto that one highly exceptional case as evidence that you don't need no stinkin' vaccinations for rabies and proceed to not get their kid shots after a foamy raccoon or fox chews on them. Rabies isn't a peaceful way to go either and I would hope that even the most adamant anti-vaxers would pluck their heads out of their asses for two seconds and get their kids rabies shots instead of clinging to their beliefs and potentially killing their kids.
I actually believe that it should be against the law to not have your kids vaccinated. It is not only dangerous to the kids themselves, but others around them. I hope that the laws are able to catch up to these lazy individuals. I also believe that most people use autism as an excuse not to drag their loaves to the doctor's office for vaccinations.

My husband and I were vaccinated up the ying-yang, as were everyone we've known from the past. The cases of autism were rare - to say the least in our generations. Now, suddenly, there's a rash of autistic kids, and more parents are opting not to have them vaccinated.

People are idiots. We rely on herd immunity to keep these diseases away. My worry is that these free-range non-vaxxed kids are going to cause some diseases to become stronger and turn into superbugs. Since a lot of us are vaccinated, and now there are many who aren't, it just seems to be a matter of time before we are wiped out by something that manages to get strong enough to beat the existing vaccines.

People are idiots. They are lazy idiots, too.
mumofsixbirds
My husband and I were vaccinated up the ying-yang, as were everyone we've known from the past. The cases of autism were rare - to say the least in our generations. Now, suddenly, there's a rash of autistic kids, and more parents are opting not to have them vaccinated.

That's the thing that gets me. So many people believe that vaccines cause autism, yet in spite of increasing numbers of breeders not vaccinating their kids, there's more autism than ever before. So how's that work?

They all love to yammer on about herd immunity, but the thing about that is herd immunity only works when most of the herd is vaccinated. If, out of ten kids, one isn't vaccinated, they'll all probably be just fine. But when, out of ten kids, seven aren't vaccinated and three are, the ones who got their shots will be okay while all it'll take is one of the unvaxed ones getting sick to make the other unvaxed kids sick too. Now, herd immunity is more about catching the disease and developing natural immunity to it instead of just, you know, saving your kids from being horribly sick for weeks or months and getting them a shot that hurts for five seconds.

I would also really love to know what the religious and philosophical problems are that these people have with shots that prompt them to demand exemptions from getting them, though I have a strong hunch that almost none of them have actual religious or philosophical issues with vaccinations and just use those as excuses to not get them. I remember seeing shit over on Smothering where anti-vax Moos would discuss how to fake religious or philosophical exemptions so they could avoid vaccinating their kids.

I used to hold out hope that if a few of these heifers saw what diseases like measles and pertussis do to their kids, they'd reconsider their stance. Seems like I was giving them far too much credit.
mumofsixbirds
I actually believe that it should be against the law to not have your kids vaccinated. It is not only dangerous to the kids themselves, but others around them. I hope that the laws are able to catch up to these lazy individuals. I also believe that most people use autism as an excuse not to drag their loaves to the doctor's office for vaccinations.

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, kids who don't get vaccines make the world a worse place for people too young to get vaccines, people with compromised immune systems, people for whom the vaccine just doesn't take, and people who can't get the vaccines for medical reasons. Also, the kids suffer, not the breeders.

On the other hand, people who are so lacking in rationality should be considered too fucking stupid to be part of normal society, let alone to breed. If they want to Darwinize themselves, let them go ahead.
mumofsixbirds
I would also really love to know what the religious and philosophical problems are that these people have with shots that prompt them to demand exemptions from getting them, though I have a strong hunch that almost none of them have actual religious or philosophical issues with vaccinations and just use those as excuses to not get them. I remember seeing shit over on Smothering where anti-vax Moos would discuss how to fake religious or philosophical exemptions so they could avoid vaccinating their kids.

I used to hold out hope that if a few of these heifers saw what diseases like measles and pertussis do to their kids, they'd reconsider their stance. Seems like I was giving them far too much credit.

Beats me. I’m a Christian and I am 100% pro-vax. They might argue something about laying on of hands, but as far as I understand the Bible, that is something only Christ and the early apostles could do. There is also nothing in the Bible that says G-d doesn’t want you to see doctors. When my grandma had breast cancer, we prayed for her to be healed. We thanked G-d when the chemo took, and she has been cancer free for 5+ years. I don’t see what religious objection some people have to vaccines.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
That's weird - something must now be wrong with the quotey thing on the website because the above wasn't my comment - no fault of yours, I'm sure, contemplativeintrovert.

It seems that some cult-like religions prohibit things like this, such as Jehova's Witness. I find it bizarre. Why would God give us the power and knowledge to cure something, but not allow us to use it? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, God says that He helps those who help themselves. Wouldn't going to a doctor be part of that plan? Wouldn't even abortion and BC fall under that?

Sorry about the religious conjecture. I'm an ex-Catholic and grew up hearing a lot of that stuff when I was young. I'm still a spiritual person, but not religious. I've gotten yelled at because of it from certain family members, but I don't really care.

I think these religious cults just cherry-pick the Bible and choose which passages are the easiest to use in order to control their 'flock'. It makes me sick and sad that so many people fall for it.
@Mumofsixbirds

Exactly! He gave us minds, we should use them! I think it’s amazing that there are people out there that understand science and medicine, because with them we can ease suffering. I’m especially interested in seeing when Zmapp gets further developed. I wonder if we will ever be able to have preventative vaccines for Ebola. Also, sorry if that was redundant. I think vaccines are usually preventative {meningitis, tuberculosis, whooping cough}, but I don’t think being a preventative is a necessary condition of being a vaccine. I think some vaccines are given AFTER a person is sick, like rabies. I could be wrong though.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
I believe you are correct about the rabies vaccine. It is generally given after a person has come into contact with rabies. I think it isn't God Himself who wants to keep us ignorant and stupid and fearful. It is religions that use His name to control the masses and take their money.

I do believe in God, but think of him as a friend. When I've gone through some of the darkest, most difficult times, I've always felt that He was around to help and guide me. Somehow, I've always managed to survive and keep a roof over my head, no matter how poor I was. I contribute a lot of that to my own personal spiritual beliefs. I also try to be kind and help others when I can, without hurting myself. My favorite charities go to hospices, animal shelters, and towards helping the disabled. Parents and kids get enough of everyone else's help. They surely don't need mine.

I've never felt more distant from God than when I sat in the pews of the Catholic church. I did believe that I was going to go to Hell at the time, because of the sermon. Nobody...but NOBODY could live up to the standards that was preached. I prefer to see Him as a positive light, and not the negative, fire and brimstone sort of entity that some people want to think he is.

ETA: I just remembered that my family dragged me off to church one Sunday shortly after I had my abortion. The entire sermon was dedicated to telling people how getting an abortion was evil, and was a one-way ticket to Hell. I was horrified. I hadn't stepped into a church for years after that. Nobody in my family actually knew I had an abortion, but they must've wondered why I was so freaked out.

Anyhoo, I don't generally like to talk about that end of stuff, but wanted to throw in my two cents.
mumofsixbirds
I believe you are correct about the rabies vaccine. It is generally given after a person has come into contact with rabies.

You can take it before potential exposure to rabies, in which case you have to have 3 vaccines to establish the immunity, and after that you need to have an reinforcement every few years. It's generally taken in this preventative fashion by people who work with animals, or who are traveling to zones where it is endemic. It's just not worth it to give it routinely because of the low incidence of rabies in developed countries, and the short period of effectiveness of the vaccine. I am vaccinated, due to travel to areas where it is more widespread, but most people are not.

People who haven't had the vaccine, who are exposed to rabies, used to undergo injections in the stomach. Now it seems they receive 5 injections in the arm and one in the buttocks.
yurble
mumofsixbirds
I believe you are correct about the rabies vaccine. It is generally given after a person has come into contact with rabies.

You can take it before potential exposure to rabies, in which case you have to have 3 vaccines to establish the immunity, and after that you need to have an reinforcement every few years. It's generally taken in this preventative fashion by people who work with animals, or who are traveling to zones where it is endemic. It's just not worth it to give it routinely because of the low incidence of rabies in developed countries, and the short period of effectiveness of the vaccine. I am vaccinated, due to travel to areas where it is more widespread, but most people are not.

People who haven't had the vaccine, who are exposed to rabies, used to undergo injections in the stomach. Now it seems they receive 5 injections in the arm and one in the buttocks.

Thank you for clarifying that. I've never had a rabies vaccine, nor do I know of anyone who has had one. I was thinking of the injections used after exposure to rabies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login