Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

23-year-old man youngest person to be diagnosed with dementia

Posted by Cambion 
23-year-old man youngest person to be diagnosed with dementia
October 03, 2018
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-23-becomes-youngest-adult-13344496

I feel awfully sorry for this guy. Dementia sucks at any age, but it's an "old person" disease as far as most people are concerned. You don't expect it to strike when you're in your twenties. He inherited a rare genetic mutation from his mother that severely predisposes him to dementia (his mum died from it in her fifties).

This part of the article stood out:

They are considering having IVF when they decide to start a family as the process will allow doctors to screen his sperm for the dementia-carrying gene.

What do you bet they'll go and reproduce anyway regardless of the genetic testing results because he's dying and having kids is a bucket list item and it's his "right?" I don't get it, the guy has been told he has the mutation and he has dementia. I've never heard of sperm itself being tested for mutations because I figured it was either implied that if your genes are fucked up, then your sperm will be too, or people use common sense and decide to not gamble on the chance that their kid may or may not be born with the same genetic fuckery.

I feel bad for the guy, I do. I watched a grandparent suffer dementia and it's an absolutely horrifying thing to have. But the last thing he or his girlfriend should be considering when he has inherited dementia is making kids. Aside from the fact that he could easily produce children with the same mutation that killed his mom and that will kill him, he'd be making life much harder for his partner and his potential kids just by existing. When symptoms develop, if his partner chooses to care for him, she'd be stretched very thin between his care and their kids' care (and caring for a demented person is VERY difficult and VERY frustrating). If he's put into a nursing home, she'll be raising their kids alone.
Re: 23-year-old man youngest person to be diagnosed with dementia
October 03, 2018
My mother passed away from vascular dementia a couple of years ago, and it was a slow, ugly and painful death. I am terrified that I may get dementia, because it runs quite strongly in my family on my mother's side.

I don't understand why he would want a kid, especially if he carries that gene. It is cruel to bring another human being into the world, possibly inflicting them with some rare disease. Of course, we're talking about baybees, and people don't seem to care about the facts. They rule with their emotions, and logic is nowhere to be found.

He will likely pass away from this disease, and his girlfriend will be stuck raising the kid(s) herself. It is a bum deal for everyone involved.
October 03, 2018
"He now plans to have his sperm screened for the gene so he and girlfriend Lucy Thomas, 21, can start a family before his symptoms develop"

At least he is getting screened, but docs say he can start losing his abilities at any time, so moo will be a single moo while he takes possibly years to die. Sounds like a really fun future. Plus the kid will have no father
October 04, 2018
again, they don't give a f***

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
October 04, 2018
For folks who might know a bit more about this sort of thing, how normal is it for sperm to be screened? I thought when that gets done, it's to check sperm count or mobility, not to look for genetic abnormalities and that genetic testing is a whole other thing entirely. I could be wrong, though.

I would be much more sympathetic if they'd had kids already and learned only afterward about the hereditary problems, but nobody with a fatal genetic condition who knows they're sick should even be entertaining the possibility of making biological offspring. But since breeding is considered a basic human right, I guarantee these two morons will go right on ahead and have brats no matter what those test results say because the guy is living on borrowed time. Then they'll act like they don't know why God is doing this to them when Duh turns into a vegetable and dies and his kids follow suit in two decades and I'm sure there will be a GoFundMe somewhere along the way to help pay for Duh's care.
October 05, 2018
My understanding of IVF is they don't test the sperm--they test the sperm-n-egg omelet to figure out which ones to transplant into the female's uterus.

And even if they are doing all this to make sure the kid won't have the same condition, I think they are selfish fucks. The guy writes how agonizing it was for him to watch his mother's personality change to someone he didn't recognize and observe her slow downhill slide into death. Doesn't it occur to him that his kid will suffer the same fate? It's just all "OG WANT BAYBEE!"
October 05, 2018
bell_flower
My understanding of IVF is they don't test the sperm--they test the sperm-n-egg omelet to figure out which ones to transplant into the female's uterus.

And even if they are doing all this to make sure the kid won't have the same condition, I think they are selfish fucks. The guy writes how agonizing it was for him to watch his mother's personality change to someone he didn't recognize and observe her slow downhill slide into death. Doesn't it occur to him that his kid will suffer the same fate? It's just all "OG WANT BAYBEE!"

You must first be a human being to consider the consequences of your actions. Breeders are not human.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
October 06, 2018
"You must first be a human being to consider the consequences of your actions. Breeders are not human."

I would argue precisely the opposite, that Breeding brings out the worst traits that already exist in humanity. It magnifies them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login