Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breeder entitlement at work

Breeder entitlement at work
October 08, 2018
I’m really fucking sick of this, and I need to rant. First of all, some back story. I don’t want to say what I do because I plan on still working here for a while and I don’t want to get fired. I’m not sure if I’ve said it in other posts, but for safety I won’t say it here. I’m very open about disliking children, so it wouldn’t be hard to connect this to me. Anyway though, my job has rules similar to 911. It is a 24 / 7 thing, you don’t get a lunch {in training you get two 15’s and a 30, but when you hit the floor you get 1 15 per 8 hour shift. 12 hour shifts are a little more lenient on short trips to the bathroom, to get a drink, etc. But the idea still is that you stay at your desk as much as possible.} TLDR; 12 hour shifts, overnight shifts, and limited breaks come with the job. I have a 401 k and I like money so fine, whatever. Apparently though, some of the breeders at work want to keep their 401ks and healthy paycheck but AREN’t ok with overnights or limited breaks.

This one girl is constantly on break. I mean constantly. She has become a joke in the office. If someone is gone a lot or takes an extended break they are “doing a {her name}”. She will take several walks per shift, each usually lasting 15-20 minutes. Then she takes a lunch, usually another 15-20 minutes. When questioned about the walks, she says she has to “stay awake.” I get it, 12s suck. Like really suck. But that doesn’t entitle you to 8 20 minute breaks a shift. Drink caffeine and suck it up like the rest of us. When questioned about her lunches, she gets defensive and pulls the moo card. “If I don’t eat at work I don’t eat at all! I get home at X {mind you her schedule starts and ends earlier than the mid shifters, she’s not up late.}, get the girls ready for bed, make their lunches, take a shower, and then go to bed!” My first question is......and? I also have stuff to do at home outside of work. I have a puppy that doesn’t appreciate my being gone 8 hours a day 6 days a week. I have a house I want to keep clean and I also like to take showers and get to sleep. What does that have to do with the price of rice in China? It’s called being an adult. It sucks, deal with it. Doesn’t mean you can slack off at work. My second question is, who cares if she even falls asleep? If you look over at her, 9 times out of 10 she’s in her phone. With as little work as she does, she might as well not even take breaks. Breaks are supposed to be a ‘break’ from actual work. You don’t need a break from being on your phone and ignoring the phone at your desk.

This other guy got some overnights and was bitching. I’m the reason he got them. For 2 months I did mid shifts and then the schedule changed so I got 4 mids and two overnights a weeek. It’s a rough turnaround and it fucks with my system but whatever. Fast forward to 3 months later. I politely asked if I could either do 2 overnights every other week or one a week. I made it clear that this was only a request, I understand that not everyone can be accommodated, I understand that this is part of the job and I appreciate the consideration. My manager was awesome. For the next months schedule, I had alternating week overnights. Then this one coworker started bitching. He had some of the overnights I got out of and after the second one he started bitching. “I can’t work overnights!” Why, pray tell, not? “I miss my pregnant wife’s doctors appointments!” Ah so you CAN you just don’t WANT to!? After the bitch fit by him and some other coworker some more of the overnights populated on my schedule.

Has everyone forgotten that having kids is a PERSONAL CHOICE? You, unless you are under VERY difficult circumstances {example, if someone was raped, and can’t get an abortion}, were not forced to have a kid. In turn, because you chose to have a kid, you chose to deal with all the bitch work involved in having kids. Why is your PERSONAL choice an excuse to get out of work? Honestly though. Having kids is the only personal choice you are allowed to use to get out of work.

When I, at my last job in a restaurant, worked 6 days a week, I had a simple request. Could either I not close before my off day, or not open after? Because at the time I didn’t have a dog so I’d travel on my off day to see my family. My manager basically told me to fuck off, he didn’t care, the schedule was what it was, and it’s my job to deal with it because my personal preferences don’t matter. OK then.

So if I want to see my family, or be with my young pup, I can go fuck myself. But if a Breeder wants to spend time doing Breeder stuff, the schedule gets several revisions to accommodate them? How the fuck does that make sense?! Either personal choices fall entirely on the employee to manage in their off time {work comes first and there are no exceptions}, or you are allowed to make polite requests about the schedule, with the understanding that these are ONLY REQUESTS, and you aren’t entitled to have them granted {work comes first, but we will try to help you out}. The hypocrisy is just ridiculous. I also hate the double standard on the overnights. When I mention my dislike of them, everyone dog piles me with “it’s part of the job,” “deal with it,” “everyone gets them,” {this isn’t even true, there 7 people in the office that got whatever schedule they asked for, and the rest of us filled in the blanks.} BUT when the aforementioned duh to be said he doesn’t like overnights, everyone consoled him! “They suck,” “they shouldn’t have done that to you with the schedule.” Nobody is going to tell him they’re part of the job? Ok then! Because fuck me right?

Ugh, sorry for ranting. This entitlement has really gotten under my skin lately.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
Re: Breeder entitlement at work
October 08, 2018
Sounds like you've got bad management. If they were fair-minded they would give everyone the same treatment and cap the extenuating circumstances for everyone.

If they keep giving certain people the crap shifts those people are more likely to leave and then the glorified parents will end up with those shifts out of necessity.

I worked at several places that catered to breeders and my best decision was leaving those places as soon as I had the opportunity.
October 10, 2018
freya
Sounds like you've got bad management. I worked at several places that catered to breeders and my best decision was leaving those places as soon as I had the opportunity.

I once wrote in an exit interview "I can no longer work for manager x because he treats all employees without children like second class citizens, and expects us to do the work of everyone with kids so they can take extra breaks and pick and choose if and when they do their jobs"

Not sure it hurt his career any but....I doubt it helped.

And every summer when they announce the restaurants offering "kids eat free in summer" nights, my GF and I screenshot the list and boycott them all until their promotions end. not just the "kids eat free nights" but all of them, all summer.
October 10, 2018
I've also left situations where Breeders are treated better than everyone else just because they bred. it's a losing proposition.

However, I couldn't work at a job that has one 15 minute break every eight hours. Is that even legal? It sounds like a sweatshop. I hope it's not a public safety job because nobody could keep up that pace without making mistakes.
October 10, 2018
childfreeadvocate
I once wrote in an exit interview "I can no longer work for manager x because he treats all employees without children like second class citizens, and expects us to do the work of everyone with kids so they can take extra breaks and pick and choose if and when they do their jobs"

Not sure it hurt his career any but....I doubt it helped.

And every summer when they announce the restaurants offering "kids eat free in summer" nights, my GF and I screenshot the list and boycott them all until their promotions end. not just the "kids eat free nights" but all of them, all summer.

Awesome reply in the exit interview. By any chance, did any of your CF coworkers (if you had any) happen to leave and write the same thing? One employee leaving for that reason could be dismissed as a fluke (even though it really wasn't), but god forbid management gets TWO responses like that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login