Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Terrible injury....terrible parents...but you'll appreciate this...

Posted by cfuter 
Terrible injury....terrible parents...but you'll appreciate this...
October 12, 2018
https://wgntv.com/2018/10/11/family-to-sue-applebees-after-baby-burned-by-steaming-water/

there ya go...of course nothing is THEIR fault.
Re: Terrible injury....terrible parents...but you'll appreciate this...
October 12, 2018
Summary: Breedersons were in a restaurant. They asked for boiling water to sterilize things for a baybee. Baybee manages to pull it toward himself and suffers burns. They sue.

First of all, who demands that a restaurant bring boiling water to sterilize utensils for a non-eating customer? (I presume it's for bottles or baybee food.) If you are that concerned, bring your own utensils.

Obligatory comment from sleeze ball attorney:

"This is a family restaurant. They should have known better," Sanford Rubenstein, the family's attorney, said. "This shouldn't have happened."

How about: These people are a family. They decided to have this brat. If they demanded scalding water for their baybee, they should have watched their brat around something so dangerous. Or better yet, stay the fuck home.

Entitlement knows no bounds.
Something similar happened here a few months ago, only it was an 8 year old scalded by hot gravy that came with their KFC meal. Apparently, the kid was struggling to open it so he yanked the lid off and the momentum sent the hot gravy all over his face and arm.

I remember that article because nearly everyone in the comments was tearing them a new one for being so stupid as to let their young kid open a container of hot liquid.
Wouldn't the kid have been in a high chair? How did he manage to get ahold of the boiling water? ITA. This is responsibility of the breeders, not the restaurant. I can only think that it would be more the restaurant's fault if the server put the boiling hot water directly in front of the kid, and the kid grabbed it instantaneously. Otherwise, I think it's definitely the breeders fault.
How hard is "keep hot things away from your baby" to understand?
October 13, 2018
Thanks to money-grubbing idiots like these, the rest of us will get tepid tea and coffee when we go out to eat, because of "company policy" (aka avoiding lawsuits).
October 13, 2018
Restaurants can't win.

Had someone not brought the boiling water to the table, citing safety concerns, these idiots would have probably taken to Facebook or Yelp or some other venue and blasted the restaurant for not being accommodating. (Relevant details omitted.)

And the Moo brigade would descend.
October 14, 2018
PSA For Idiot Breeders:
Keep your brats 5 feet away from hot objects.
October 14, 2018
mumofsixbirds
Wouldn't the kid have been in a high chair? How did he manage to get ahold of the boiling water? ITA. This is responsibility of the breeders, not the restaurant. I can only think that it would be more the restaurant's fault if the server put the boiling hot water directly in front of the kid, and the kid grabbed it instantaneously. Otherwise, I think it's definitely the breeders fault.

This is why we need to know more about the events leading up to the toppled water. What kind of container was the water placed into? How much water was in the container? Was it covered? Where was it placed, and in relation to where the baby was seated and where at least one parent was seated? How much time elapsed between the placement of the water container and the kid toppling it? Answers to these (and other) questions would be brought out in depositions or a trial (if it gets that far). The answers could point to the parents being mostly or totally at fault, the restaurant's staff being mostly or totally at fault, or something close to both sides being fairly equally at fault.
This was done on purpose. Who in their right mind asks for scalding hot water to be anywhere near their kid at a restaurant? I'm not a parent, but I can see several ways for the kid to be hurt without it ever reaching for the water. No. These pieces of scum sacrificed their child for a payout. I hope CPS gets involved.

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
October 14, 2018
If you're such germophobes that you need your eating utensils sterilized, then don't fucking go out to eat. Waitstaff has more than enough shit to do without having to bring your ass hot water. I don't think the staff should have complied with this bullshit request.

Like you guys said, this story is missing a TON of very important details. How much water did they receive that it was enough to cause injury? What kind of a container was it in? Why did they put it close enough to their kid for him to dump it on himself? Why weren't they watching him and preventing him from doing that?

Article
His mother tried to take the smoking clothing off of him, but skin came away, Patterson said.

This sounds like dramatizing to me. The kid's clothes were smoking? I doubt it. Possibly steam was coming off them, at worst. This is just to make Applebee's look even more at fault by implying that they brought the family water that was a step below molten lava temperature-wise. Water that they ASKED FOR.

I think this was just lose-lose for the restaurant like bell_flower said. Had they not provided the famblee with hot water, they would have bitched about lack of customer service, lack of accommodation, being discriminatory against families, wanting them to all get sick by not letting them ensure their utensils were clean, and any number of other bullshit accusations. Nobody should be blaming the restaurant, and someone should be investigating the parents too. Either they hurt the kid on purpose to get a settlement, or they neglected and endangered the kid by letting him burn himself on something they had to have known was dangerous.

Still, restaurants should know by now that someone asking for boiling hot water or coffee or soup is asking for trouble. Whether by accident or on purpose, they will probably spill the hot liquid on themselves, wind up with serious burns, and then sue the restaurant for accommodating their request. It's far better to just ignore these requests and risk complaints than do as asked and risk lawsuits. After that whole mess a few years ago about the dumb cow who demanded 212-degree coffee from McDicks, dumped it on herself and sued, I'm surprised you can get anything hot anymore.
October 15, 2018
Moved away from a town a few years ago once they passed a law demanding the entire city cap the temperature of their water at 100 degrees (maybe 110) or something like that. They literally made it illegal and forced the entire town to add some sort of contraption to their water heaters because some brat got burned by hot water. Mombie or duhdie only looked away for a second, right? Honestly, thought it was a joke until I saw the letter from the utilities company. And the lukewarm baths got old really quick. If I lived in a house I could have likely changed the heater settings but not with condo living where the condo association had access to all the water heaters.

No kid will set foot in my house and a town has no right to dictate the temperature of the water that I pay to heat. Just no.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login