Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Let's ban Halloween but Father's day it's ok

Posted by blackpearl 
Let's ban Halloween but Father's day it's ok
November 11, 2018
Today we have father's day around here (Finland) and all media is filled with daddies telling birth stories and emotional bullshit. Not so long ago it was Halloween which is not such a big thing as in US but then the media was filled so many angry people barking that Halloween should be banned because is just another American consumerist celebration (it's not American but most of people here are ignorant) and it promotes buying useless plastic stuff. I actually like Halloween a lot and for me it's just a cosy party with close friends, preparing good food and watching horror movies on Netflix, so far away from consumerism.

Now about Father's day, breeders here are the top of hypocrisy: Father's day was imported by us from US and for two weeks now i'm bombarded with all damned ads: buy this buy that for your dad! It's the same thing for Mother's day but since they are related to breeding it's ok to celebrate them. But dog forbid somebody like me enjoys some other celebration not related to reproducing, that should be banned!

The interesting thing is that kids here love Halloween a lot so you'd think breeders would also be happy for it. It says quite a lot about a person who wants to ban something kids love but it's ok with some celebrations that boost their ego.
Re: Let's ban Halloween but Father's day it's ok
November 11, 2018
blackpearl
It says quite a lot about a person who wants to ban something kids love but it's ok with some celebrations that boost their ego.

Breeder logic in a nutshell: "How the kid impacts me is more important than the kid." Ugh.
November 12, 2018

that Halloween should be banned because is just another American consumerist celebration
[

Then Christmas has to go too.

I'd support that.
Bah mutherfuckin' humbug.

thom_c

that Halloween should be banned because is just another American consumerist celebration
[

Then Christmas has to go too.

I'd support that.
Bah mutherfuckin' humbug.

100% with you there!
November 12, 2018
I have never heard of anyone going into debt and paying it off 3-6 mos. later for Halloween. Christmas is another story altogether.

It is possible to simply opt out of celebrating a holiday once or more without blaming consumerism. And someone is keeping those stores and malls in business.

Just watch out if you have family who propose to not buy each other Christmas gifts and then they get you to agree.
And in another sentence they add.....except for the kids of course. Especially when the family member who thought up this brilliant idea has kids. Someone is looking for a gift grab.
November 12, 2018
Decades ago, I opted out of the Giftgrab season for many reasons.
Currently, I am in a long-term relationship in which we selectively participate in public events, family events or holidays as we please.
Frankly we opt out of about 90% of what most people think is mandatory.
November 13, 2018
freya
I have never heard of anyone going into debt and paying it off 3-6 mos. later for Halloween. Christmas is another story altogether.

It is possible to simply opt out of celebrating a holiday once or more without blaming consumerism. And someone is keeping those stores and malls in business.

Just watch out if you have family who propose to not buy each other Christmas gifts and then they get you to agree.
And in another sentence they add.....except for the kids of course. Especially when the family member who thought up this brilliant idea has kids. Someone is looking for a gift grab.

"Cause you have all that extra money since you're not spending it on adults.."

I'm also out of giftgrabbing. We usually ask our close family if they really need something and then just buy it for them. If they don't then fine. Sometimes i also offer a trip or a restaurant dinner not necessarily things but i can say it's been years since i last stressed about a holiday. And damn it feels so good.

I do also feel sorry for these people because they do bend a lot to society pressure to buy and as a kid if you don't have the latest gadgets or toys you are bullied in school. I am so glad i grew up in another age and another environment.

I remember two years ago a woman asked me if i'm not sad because i can't celebrate mother's say because i have no kids. Why do i need somebody to celebrate me for that? I don't even celebrate my own birthday.
November 13, 2018
blackpearl
I remember two years ago a woman asked me if i'm not sad because i can't celebrate mother's say because i have no kids. Why do i need somebody to celebrate me for that? I don't even celebrate my own birthday.

What a weird comment. I celebrated Mother's Day until my mother finally passed away. Even when she was in the home, sick with dementia, I would bring her a gift, usually an article of clothing and some chocolates, and I'd spend some time with her.

Doesn't this person realize that people celebrate Mother's Day because they HAVE mothers? I'm not sure if you are close enough geographically to your mother to see her, but I still find that a weird thing to say to someone.
November 14, 2018
mumofsixbirds
Doesn't this person realize that people celebrate Mother's Day because they HAVE mothers? I'm not sure if you are close enough geographically to your mother to see her, but I still find that a weird thing to say to someone.

They don't because here family means man, woman and children. When people ask me if i have a family and i mention husband, parents, siblings they become so confused and they just say umm... i meant kids? Here parents, siblings, grandparents are not seen as a family which for me is very insulting. And if you have a husband you are referred to as a couple.

We don't spend mother's day because in my home-country there isn't such a thing. I live very far away from my parents but we are close and i try to visit them whenever i have money to fly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login