Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Climate change? Let's tax CF people more!

Posted by blackpearl 
Climate change? Let's tax CF people more!
November 20, 2018
For about three weeks now mainstream Finnish media can't stop writing about how we are doomed, climate change is going to kill us and we must raise taxes on almost everything in order to save the world. And also reminding us everyday of how filthy consumers we are.

Well, one week ago they've got the new data on birth rates and the situation is "disastrous" - they are historically low. Forget the talk about climate change (we'll still put a tax on everything) but besides that they are planning now how to raise incentives for people to breed because there won't be enough taxpayers to sustain the welfare state. And of course, people found a solution: people without kids should pay more taxes.

So let me get this straight, i will pay more taxes to save the world from climate change because i'm a filthy consumer but i'll also pay other extra taxes because i'm not creating more consumers. Logic anyone?!?

I'll be honest with you, after this i really don't give a crap about climate change anymore. People deserve what is coming because they are extremely stupid. And by the way, us, without kids do pay more taxes and don't even get me started on that! >sad smiley
Re: Climate change? Let's tax CF people more!
November 20, 2018
blackpearl
For about three weeks now mainstream Finnish media can't stop writing about how we are doomed, climate change is going to kill us and we must raise taxes on almost everything in order to save the world. And also reminding us everyday of how filthy consumers we are.

Well, one week ago they've got the new data on birth rates and the situation is "disastrous" - they are historically low. Forget the talk about climate change (we'll still put a tax on everything) but besides that they are planning now how to raise incentives for people to breed because there won't be enough taxpayers to sustain the welfare state. And of course, people found a solution: people without kids should pay more taxes.

So let me get this straight, i will pay more taxes to save the world from climate change because i'm a filthy consumer but i'll also pay other extra taxes because i'm not creating more consumers. Logic anyone?!?

I'll be honest with you, after this i really don't give a crap about climate change anymore. People deserve what is coming because they are extremely stupid. And by the way, us, without kids do pay more taxes and don't even get me started on that! >sad smiley

What hypocrisy.

The worst part is, even college aged kids making 20k are going to feel the pinch - while 20 years with 2-3 kids receive their hard earned money for no reason.

If I make $20,000, and I live in an apartment complex where I pay $600 a month in rent, and I don't have kids - I pay about $2000-$3000 in taxes. But if my neighbor in the same complex paying the rent I do, also makes $20k a year, and has 3 kids, he pays $2k-$3k in taxes, then receives $5 or $10k back in child tax credits.

Conversely, if I own a home, and I make $70k a year, and may neighbor with 3 kids owns the same priced house and makes $70k a year, I'll pay $12-$15k in taxes, which they'll also do, then they'll STILL get $3 or $5k back in child tax credits, so they actually only pay $6 or &7k

No matter how you slice it, we're having our money TAKEN BY FORCE, and handed over to people as reward for their shitty lifestyle choices.
November 20, 2018
If climate change is real, the best possible thing I can do for the environment in the long term is to avoid having children. End of discussion.

Pay less attention to what people say and more attention to what people do. If they REALLY believe that CO2 is causing warming, AND that warming will be catastrophic, they will avoid having kids. You can't claim to be a fervent environmentalist and have kids. It's like claiming that you're a health nut, all while smoking a pack of Luckies every day.
November 21, 2018
StudioFiftyFour
If climate change is real, the best possible thing I can do for the environment in the long term is to avoid having children. End of discussion.

I'll be honest now, i do start thinking that climate change is used to milk people of more money, at least where i live the solution to end climate change is putting more taxes on everything which, if one has two brain cells to rub together, is not a solution at all. And that's why they want birth rates to increase, so they can have more people, more pollution and gather more taxes. If you have a sustainable population where will they get more money from? They never cared about the environment, it's all about the money because as you said, if they really cared they would do anything to lower birth rates and low birth rates would be seen as an accomplishment not as a thing to panic about.

I'll give you some examples. We have the green party who is a big fan of taxes but when i look at their accomplishments i'm basically left scratching my head. They've been involved in quite many scandals, the latest one being a green politician spending 22.000 euros taxpayers' money on taxi rides in Helsinki, which has the best public transport in the whole country. His excuse for taking taxi for 3 km (1.86 miles) rides? Well, it's environmental friendly! His ass cannot stand a bike for just 3 km! They yell about how bad flying is and how it should be heavily taxed but they fly around the world (guess on who's money). Meanwhile, they want to give more financial incentives for people to have kids.

Climate change or not it is very clear that approaching 8 billion people does have an impact on the environment and resources.
November 21, 2018
I do believe that climate change exists, because I've been seeing a lot of changes in the climate where I live over the past few years. The storms have been fiercer, there is heavier snowfall in the winter, and the number of forest fires alone cause me worry.

With all of that said, why should people who have chosen not to reproduce be penalized for this? The biggest danger to our environment is overpopulation and the pollution that exists from that. Consumerism is at an all-time high, and it's because of families. Not the CF.

It looks like they're trying to make us responsible for the poor choices of others, yet again.

I don't consider myself an environmentalist, but I don't drive (as of yet), I recycle and I try to buy second-hand whenever possible. I also try not to throw anything out that can be reused or upcycled. I tend to donate more than I toss. It's called being responsible.

I would resent having to pay for someone else's choice to reproduce, use plastic fucking diapers, buy excessive garbage from China, and drive a monster SUV.

They could tax the CF up the ying-yang, but it won't amount to a hill of beans when the majority of people are breeders.
November 22, 2018
I can only agree. Its all about the money.
Not a single politician (that is actually in power) gives two shits about the environment, while climate change is happening in a worrying speed. They're all greedy hypocrites.

Its all about the money, and more people mean more consumption, and therefore more tax money.
What does break this logic in my understanding, is the state support of trashy breeders, since as far as I know, kydz of such breeders are very likely to grow up to be trashy and jobless too, so they would actually cost the state a pretty penny. But, oh well, logic was never politics' forcé.

But then, on the other hand side, maybe all this "taxing CF people" may be a try of the state to get the money back that is wasted on (or not collected from) breeders?
After all, unfortunetaly, CF people are still mostly a minority. And a minority, especially an already socially stigmatized one, could be seen by the state as a group that is less likely to effectively protest against the state's decisions. At least, less likely to protest than breeders would, if they were taxed or got their benefits cut. After all, politicians tend to take or create paths of least resistance often.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom & Art & Music >>>>>>>>>> human spawn

"Music is immortal. People are not."
-William Anger, "King's Story" - Thief2 FM by Zontik
November 24, 2018
I've been following the news here for a while now and i'm just disappointed and hopeless. Politicians are making jokes about women's wombs, a newspaper published few days ago an article that Finnish women are not having babies because they don't want to lose their looks which started a shitstorm (they had that title on purpose). I've never seen so many disgusting people in one place saying the most horrible things like we deserve to die and live in poverty, we should give all money to them because they build the future etc.

I moved to Finland 9 years ago because of my DH. I worked my ass off to learn the language and to manage in a very closed and cold society and now i am treated like this. It's for the first time in my life i'm thinking to move away. It was such a painful thought, i got sick at my stomach because i've built a life here.

But is it worth to live in a society who wants to tax you out of extinction just to support others' lifestyles? With the excuse that their kids will pay my pension when my retirement age is according to their laws 70 years? 70!!! I already pay lots of taxes as it is and unfortunately i don't get the services i need. My DH is working full-time and takes care of his demented mom and blind grandma. We managed to get a nurse after lots of scandals between the city which decided we don't need any help although most of our taxes go into the city's healthcare and social services.

When we needed crisis help because his dad and grandpa died and we were left with two old people to care for, nobody helped us. I was struggling with my chronic disease, pumped myself with strong painkillers so i can work and pay my bills plus the student loans. Where was the society's help when we needed it? And now they want to tax me more even if i have a disease which makes me infertile?!?

They can suck the biggest dick that ever existed!
November 24, 2018
blackpearl

It goes without saying, a LOT of childed people are clueless as to why they get child exemptions when it comes to taxes.

But we are talking about a group of people who uses that child exemption money for cigarettes, liquor, every-other-day manicures, rock concerts, Coach handbags, and what have you, while Crotchford and Snotleigh are lucky if they get a bowl of Cheerios for supper and a cot to sleep on.

People with more than two children should have to pay more in taxes, not the other way around.
November 24, 2018
blackpearl
I've been following the news here for a while now and i'm just disappointed and hopeless. Politicians are making jokes about women's wombs, a newspaper published few days ago an article that Finnish women are not having babies because they don't want to lose their looks which started a shitstorm (they had that title on purpose). I've never seen so many disgusting people in one place saying the most horrible things like we deserve to die and live in poverty, we should give all money to them because they build the future etc.

I moved to Finland 9 years ago because of my DH. I worked my ass off to learn the language and to manage in a very closed and cold society and now i am treated like this. It's for the first time in my life i'm thinking to move away. It was such a painful thought, i got sick at my stomach because i've built a life here.

But is it worth to live in a society who wants to tax you out of extinction just to support others' lifestyles? With the excuse that their kids will pay my pension when my retirement age is according to their laws 70 years? 70!!! I already pay lots of taxes as it is and unfortunately i don't get the services i need. My DH is working full-time and takes care of his demented mom and blind grandma. We managed to get a nurse after lots of scandals between the city which decided we don't need any help although most of our taxes go into the city's healthcare and social services.

When we needed crisis help because his dad and grandpa died and we were left with two old people to care for, nobody helped us. I was struggling with my chronic disease, pumped myself with strong painkillers so i can work and pay my bills plus the student loans. Where was the society's help when we needed it? And now they want to tax me more even if i have a disease which makes me infertile?!?

They can suck the biggest dick that ever existed!

Finland area in square miles: 130,666 Sq mi
Population: 5.5 million

Florida area in square miles: 65,755 sq mi
Population: 20 million

Blackpearl, can we send some of FL's population up your way?

There is no room for all these people on this tiny strip of land and the Everglades in uninhabitable with human-eating alligators and Burmese pythons.
November 24, 2018
bastet-the-bass-cat
I can only agree. Its all about the money.
Not a single politician (that is actually in power) gives two shits about the environment, while climate change is happening in a worrying speed. They're all greedy hypocrites.

Is the climate changing? Yes. But it's always been changing. Is it from CO2? Or from the sun? Or another source? I don't know.

Let's assume that humans are causing climate change, all of it is from CO2, and action must be taken now. By not reproducing I've already taken the most significant action one person can take, in that I am completely eliminating an indefinite number of future carbon footprints.

If things are in fact as dire as some predict, me paying more in taxes isn't going to change the scenario. Nor will slapping a solar panel on my roof or driving a hybrid car. But the reality is that nobody wants to hear that. They want to hear that 10.5 billion + people on the planet by mid-century is sustainable... and all you have to do is drive a hybrid, recycle, put up a windmill, and increase taxes on the childfree and of course more taxes on "the rich."
November 25, 2018
StudioFiftyFour
Is the climate changing? Yes. But it's always been changing. Is it from CO2? Or from the sun? Or another source? I don't know.

Science does. Science says it's measurable and it's man made. There's a consensus among at least 97% of the world's climate scientists. 97%. There is NO debate among educated sources. Vaccines don't cause autism and climate change is being accelerated by humans.

Every time I have this discussion I feel like I'm shouting into the wind.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

I agree that by not having children we've all done the most significant thing a single person can. I would love to see population control addressed with regard to the climate (and the environment in general).
November 25, 2018
selidororous
Blackpearl, can we send some of FL's population up your way?

There is no room for all these people on this tiny strip of land and the Everglades in uninhabitable with human-eating alligators and Burmese pythons.

You're welcome to send them but i don't think they'd like it. I mean it's cold, dark, high taxes...but you can send some of those alligators and pythons. Bwhaha!

Finland should be really careful with these taxes because well-educated young people started moving abroad and in the last two years it started facing a serious brain-drain. I moved because of my husband and it's increasingly difficult for me to stand the cold climate.

Otherwise, breeders just shout about robbing the CF because they are jealous. I faced that jealousy in real life and i know very well how happy they would be to destroy you and to make you miserable. They can't stand the fact that you are happy and you do what you want with your money.
They are hiding behind the excuse that they are raising the next taxpayer generation but i doubt that any of them had kids to create more taxpayers. It's either because of their ego or they didn't know how to use contraception.
November 25, 2018
kittehpeoples
StudioFiftyFour

Science does. Science says it's measurable and it's man made. There's a consensus among at least 97% of the world's climate scientists. 97%. There is NO debate among educated sources. Vaccines don't cause autism and climate change is being accelerated by humans.

Every time I have this discussion I feel like I'm shouting into the wind.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

I agree that by not having children we've all done the most significant thing a single person can. I would love to see population control addressed with regard to the climate (and the environment in general).

I've read articles disputing the 97% consensus. But really, as I mentioned, it doesn't matter. Let's assume the worst for climate change.

There is NO policy, none whatsoever, that will prevent climate change. None. Unless we revert 300 million+ Americans (and Europeans) back to a 17th century lifestyle, we will not change the climate issue.

No amount of hydroelectric power, windmills, or solar arrays will change this in any significant way, as they all run as an ancillary arm of a fossil fuel energy platform. We will not be able to power Amazon, FedEx, GE, Delta Airlines, and McDonalds on a solar panel.

I am 100% with you on population, and I do think you will get your wish on population control, but it won't be delivered via the government. Famine, disease, war... these will cull the population. What frightens me the most are potential climate "refugees" and the number of Americans who mistakenly think that we have some kind of a moral obligation to import masses of impoverished, unskilled third world people for reasons even they can't properly articulate.
November 26, 2018
StudioFiftyFour
I've read articles disputing the 97% consensus. But really, as I mentioned, it doesn't matter. Let's assume the worst for climate change.

Well, to quote another scientist, "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." You've read some articles that dispute a 97% consensus. There are still people who think vaccines cause autism. There are people who think the earth is flat. You can find dissenters on any subject you like, but science is science. And as long as there are people saying, "Yeah, but 3% of scientists say no," progress is going to be stunted.
November 26, 2018
I've heard so many people (especially far left) go on and on about how wonderful Finland, Denmark, Sweden, etc. are in regards to taxation and benefits. Despite these people going strictly off rhetoric and not knowing a soul within these countries who can offer a much more unbiased opinion than some news feed.

Taxes are much higher and most of the benefits derived from these taxes are given to those who breed, which isn't all that different than the United States other than higher taxes. And clearly in Finland they use the same scare tactics to produce more taxpayers as they do in the USA because someone has to pay for everything.
November 26, 2018
I question a any political party that encourages breeding, and discourages less people. I'm kind of more-or-less in the center, but I tend to lean a little to the left, but only with regards to things like medical care, and helping those with disabilities, elderly, veterans, etc. I think that people shouldn't be rewarded for thinking with their gonads, and take a total disregard to the overwhelming evidence that overpopulation is essentially killing the planet.

I just wish that there was a political party that aligns more with those values. They're either ass-kissing breeder-pleasers, who know they're going to get the vote because they support reckless breeding, or they're hokey, Bible-Thumping nutcases who believe in killing everyone and letting God sort 'em out.
November 26, 2018
I don't mind paying taxes but i'm more for them being used for education and healthcare. I want that everybody should have a fair start when it comes to education opportunities and i really don't want to see anybody dying because they can't afford medical care. But this is going way too far with robbing people without kids. Breeders say that we don't need those money because anyway we are spending it on us and that's wrong while they raise the next generation to pay our pensions and wipe our asses. They do forget though that we are already paying and what they do now is just greed. And lots of us "childless" people including myself are in low-paying professions (not complaining, i chose it) and the extra money i earn i prefer to put it into my savings account for emergencies.

If the breeders are so pissed that their kids are going to pay my pension and i'm just a careless selfish CF, let's make a deal: i will stop paying all those taxes for them and i'll put that money into my pension fund. To be honest, this way i'm more likely to have a pension than relay on some people who might not even become taxpayers for various reasons. Oh, and if their kids won't become taxpayers it's fair the breeders should return to the state every cent we pay for them.

@freya: It's not at all that great with taxation and benefits if you pay taxes and don't get the benefits. For example, i had to pay lots of my healthcare costs myself because i use private healthcare. Why is that? The public healthcare makes you wait 6 months to see a GP, it's almost to impossible to get e referral to a specialist and if you want to see a dentist you wait between 6-8 months. I spent 470 euros (about 533 $) at a private dentist, i would have lost my tooth waiting 6 months for an appointment. Oh, and public healthcare does not cover implants...
November 26, 2018
blackpearl
If the breeders are so pissed that their kids are going to pay my pension and i'm just a careless selfish CF, let's make a deal: i will stop paying all those taxes for them and i'll put that money into my pension fund. To be honest, this way i'm more likely to have a pension than relay on some people who might not even become taxpayers for various reasons. Oh, and if their kids won't become taxpayers it's fair the breeders should return to the state every cent we pay for them.

I completely agree with you and would much rather have the opportunity to manage my own funds than rely on the government who will most certainly mismanage my funds into the pocket of some asinine breeders.

blackpearl
@freya: It's not at all that great with taxation and benefits if you pay taxes and don't get the benefits. For example, i had to pay lots of my healthcare costs myself because i use private healthcare. Why is that? The public healthcare makes you wait 6 months to see a GP, it's almost to impossible to get e referral to a specialist and if you want to see a dentist you wait between 6-8 months. I spent 470 euros (about 533 $) at a private dentist, i would have lost my tooth waiting 6 months for an appointment. Oh, and public healthcare does not cover implants...

I shudder to think what you pay total in taxes and out of your pocket for health care.
Clearly they only mean healthcare is paid for when it is routine, no emergencies are paid for. And we all know the most expensive medical bills are from the unexpected.
I've heard the same stories about waiting and care from many countries that have public healthcare. One of the goals of many people I know there is to have the funds to purchase private healthcare. That should be very enlightening for all those people who think universal healthcare is a solution. Does it make sense to have to fund healthcare with your tax dollars and buy a private insurance policy? It is only an excuse to tax people more and many people are likely to end up buying private insurance while your tax dollars take more money out of your pocket at the same time. Think about how easy it is to keep costs down by making impossible wait lists alone... all those people who have terminal illness with less than 6 mos. of life expectancy will die before getting any care unless they pay for a private insurance policy. The government can get mighty choosey about what they cover when they control the purse strings.
November 26, 2018
And if they want to be fair and really tackle the birth rates, they should look better at women's career opportunities and work-life balance. Finland is not the equality paradise media lets you think and most of the times women have no choices than to remain at home with the kids and as a result they lose money. Somebody wrote once a good article about how offering so much motherhood incentives is basically hurting women instead of helping them because they push them out of workforce. Add to that unstable and temporary contracts, discrimination on the job market...those benefits are just an excuse.

And it's useless to blame the CF which are a very minuscule part in this, most of people still want kids but they should look at deeper reasons than just money. Not to mention the modern society which puts lots of pressure on women to fit a certain type of mother.

I asked myself honestly if i wanted kids, would i have had them here? No way, with all the benefits given to me. Me and my partner lack a stable job, we have no network support, your pregnancy and birth care are dictated to you by the system - you don't get to choose, i value more work than being a SHAM(you have to stay at home minimum 6 months), your child belongs to the state not to you. NO THANKS!

Of course, you can disregard all of the above but remember - the child belongs to the state not to you. smiling smiley
November 26, 2018
freya
I've heard the same stories about waiting and care from many countries that have public healthcare. One of the goals of many people I know there is to have the funds to purchase private healthcare. That should be very enlightening for all those people who think universal healthcare is a solution.

Most people who generalize about the situation have little personal experience with different systems. What should the US emulate, the system in Cuba or the system in Canada? The system in Finland or in Japan? All these countries can be said to have universal healthcare, but there are enormous differences between the systems and I expect few people have studied the alternatives. I certainly have not studied the problem, but I have lived in three countries that had universal healthcare. One was absolute shit, and the other two were quite good. I've also been in hospital in two other countries with universal healthcare, both experiences were satisfactory. I define good as getting to see a GP on short notice, suitable emergency services, getting to see a specialist within a few months, and minimal out-of-pocket expenses.
November 26, 2018
They could take every last cent of my income via taxes and it would STILL not do a damn bit of good for the environment, because that money is not going to the environment, but into a politician’s pocket. I’d be ok with more taxes if they’d go someplace useful. Let’s top all the skyscrapers in the U.S with solar pannels. Let’s give huge tax cuts to people going solar in their homes. Let’s stop incentivizing breeding. Dredge that plastic out of the pacific and launch that ish into the sun. Do whatever you need to to help this earth recover from the damage done by overpopulation.

But that won’t happen. They want people to breed future taxpayers to pay their salaries. Disgusting. I found out my favorite dish soap is made from petroleum. When I use up what I have I’m switching to plant based. When I have extra money to toss out I buy 90% plant based biodegradable sponges. I haven’t flown since 2013 I think. I give my old electronics to family members instead of tossing them. I hang dry some of my clothes instead of relying 100% on the dryer. I charge my phone off my car to cut back some electricity from my house. I will get solar panels when / if I can afford them, and I wash and reuse glass containers from the food I buy. It’s not a lot, I know. But I am doing what I can. But yes, by all means, I am the scum of the earth and responsible for all the worlds pollution because I didn’t have kids /sarcasm.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
November 26, 2018
Ahh...but nothing you do, contemplativeintrovert, will be helpful unless you can throw your money towards the environmental problem via extra taxes. That way, breeders can continue to use the landfills to dump countless disposable diapers and cheap plastic crap that's made in China.

Taxing the CF is like a drop in the bucket for the damage that breeders do to our planet on a daily basis. This sounds more like a quick cash grab from the Government which punishes the CF and praises breeders.

I do what I can to help as well, but no matter what I do, it won't amount to a hill of beans if everyone else is breeding more consumers.
November 26, 2018
Nothing we can do as individuals is going to make any difference. At least the CF can be glad we're not creating hostages to fortune. The only thing that will make any difference is a serious, concentrate effort by governments to drastically change the way people live, and face it, that won't happen. And seeing as we're doomed, I prefer to enjoy the time I have here. Sure, I'll recycle and not own a car and not use a dryer, because none of those things matter that much to me, but anyone who tries to make me give up the things I do enjoy is going to have to justify it by cutting their own carbon footprint just as much. Which is pretty much an impossibility for breeders. I'll only make the sacrifice if everyone else does, because quite honestly there's no point whatsoever in on the CF cutting back.
November 29, 2018
I also do what i can, for example, i adopted a minimalist lifestyle. Of course, i had a minimalist lifestyle before as i didn't earn that much and i had to be extra careful with my finances but now that i'm making a decent living i prefer spending on what is essential and save the rest for bad days. My job is project-based and i'm not sure how fast i can find another one when this contract ends so better have some safety.

But still, i mentioned it to some persons and i got the: of course you can be a minimalist because you don't have kids. *eyeroll*

I do recycle, eat mostly vegetarian (i don't like meat that much), reuse, buy second-hand, try to choose wisely when buying electricity or any other product for that matter, try fixing things if possible, i don't own a car (i don't need one for the moment). I do have to admit i fly once or twice a year but it's mostly in Europe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login