Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The alphabet kid on a plane

Posted by cfdavep 
The alphabet kid on a plane
November 29, 2018
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-accuses-southwest-airlines-employee-publicly-mocking-5-year-olds-name-131855912.html

Moo names her sprog ABCDE (ab-city) and wonders why the sprog is already having problems
Re: The alphabet kid on a plane
November 29, 2018
It is a stupid name, no doubt. I can't believe this made news. Is there anything the news won't run to if it involves a pissed off moo?
November 29, 2018
And why does moo have to publicly complain about it, how about just moving the fuck on and stop displaying everything in your life on the 'nets. I heard her statement on the radio, she sounds a bit like a douche, but that is no surprise to us. Does she think that ppl weren't 'shaming' on the name from the first day in the hospital?
November 29, 2018
She's doomed that kid to a lifetime of spelling its name every single time. Ordering a pizza, putting in a restaurant reservation, talking to a police officer, registering at the DMV, you name it.

This kind of shit is why one person I know changed her name at nineteen or so. She was sick of the pointless "creative" spelling.
November 29, 2018
cfdavep

Moo names her sprog ABCDE (ab-city) and wonders why the sprog is already having problems

Does the kid have a brother named QWERTY?
November 29, 2018
What the hell did this woman expect would happen when she gives her kid a retarded name that doesn't sound how it's spelled? If you don't want people making fun of your kid's name, then don't give your kid a dumbass name. If you want to give your kid that made-up name, at least spell it "Absidy" and call the kid "Abby" for short.

I'm getting to a point where I wish parents had to submit names for their kids for approval to some authority before putting the names on their birth certificates to prevent bullshit kre8ive names that nobody can say. I'm sure there'd be screaming about discrimination and all that, but apparently some people are too dumb to give their kids real names. Honestly, "ABCDE" is what people enter into high score lists when they're too lazy to enter their real names.

Perhaps she has a sibling named "ZYXWV." But they pronounce it "Zix-wiv" you fucking plebs, and if you don't know that right away, you're name-ist.
November 29, 2018
Peace
cfdavep

Does the kid have a brother named QWERTY?

When she has twins she will name them Doremifa and Solatido.
November 30, 2018
You know, I have a weird name. It's a family name "from the old country." It gets mispronounced and misspelled often, and I took a lot of flak for it as a kid. BUT AT LEAST IT'S A NAME, not just a random chunk of the alphabet. What a cruel thing to do to your kid. But a name like that isn't about the child; it's about the parents...like everything else.
November 30, 2018
I saw another article that there are something like 50 people in the US with this name. WTF?
November 30, 2018
Is this the same family that threw a fit and had a mall Santa fired because he "discriminated " against the kid's fake service dog (the man playing Santa was deathly allergic to dog fur)??
November 30, 2018
yurble
I saw another article that there are something like 50 people in the US with this name. WTF?

Ha! It isn't original or unique. Bet that really burns the moo.
December 01, 2018
For that matter, a number of American pahrunts have named their sprogs Espn (pronounced ess-pen), after the sports network ESPN. That shows you how shallow they are.

The former radio host Ken Hamblin, who is African-American, mentioned in one of his books running across a black family who had given their son a strange name they claimed was African in origin, pronounced "Shi-tee-ahd". Problem is that name was spelled "Shithead". Hamblin was livid at the family's stupidity.

This subject is a sore spot with me, as I favor limits too. We've discussed it before. In fact, what Cambion advocates is reality in a number of countries, or at least some controls are in place, including France, Germany, Japan, and Scandinavian and Latin-American countries in general. Supposedly the Latin-American rules resulted from pahrunts with large families giving the later children insulting names to imply they were unwanted.

A judge in New Zealand made a famous ruling in 2008 to change a child's first name from "Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii" to simply Talula. Right, that whole string was the girl's first name, and it caused her no end of embarrassment. Members here conjectured that her idiot pahrunts probably insisted that her teachers address her by that full name. It won't surprise most of you to learn that this was a family court judge and it was a custody hearing.

The Scandinavian countries generally go far enough to say that a child's name must be selected from an approved list. No made-up or ethnic or foreign names, in other words, and of course no crea8ive spellings.

It isn't any violation of "family privacy" to intercede in naming children. That child is stuck with whatever stupid name you create. It's been shown that employers will discriminate in favor of those with normal names on job applications, and that's just one example.

I would also prohibit parents from naming children after themselves. Usually naming a boy X Jr. (or X III, etc.) is an ego trip for the father, but it can be a nightmare for the kid later with official forms that have no provision for a generational suffix and the possibility of confusion on credit records and the like. Ask me how I know. Children should have their own identity with a normal, uncrazy name.
December 02, 2018
There are actual names that were made up by someone in fairly recent times. Vanessa is probably the most common. But I believe the people who made up these names were all writers. It seems like at least 99% of the population will just come up with stupid shit if they try to make up a name. I don't like the idea of restricting what people can name their kids, but the situation is getting out of control. If you look at a good name book or website you will find plenty of nice but rarely used names. It frustrates me people don't use them but instead follow some crappy trend or try to make something up.
December 02, 2018
ondinette
There are actual names that were made up by someone in fairly recent times. Vanessa is probably the most common.

I've heard that Wendy is also recent. But even if names are made up, if they are used in popular fiction they will be familiar to people in a way that random made up names won't be.

I can understand names that come from different cultures, obviously the whole world isn't going to English-speaking, and people may want names that have a connection with their heritage.

But when a person just makes up some collection of sounds you have to ask: what is that person trying to accomplish? What exactly do they want their child to experience? It seems like 99% or more of the time, the people would have been better off saving these names for characters in poorly written fan fiction. You don't make a person unique and special by giving them an unusual name, all you do is ensure they experience teasing and people discounting them. What's so ridiculous is that these people who give their children strange names are only demonstrating how dreadfully common their minds are.
December 02, 2018
I guess I don't see the need to make up new names when thousands of perfectly fucking good ones exist for whatever kind of angle you want to go for with your kid's name: classic, exotic, fun, unisex, unusual, pretty, there's something for every taste. But the names the current generation of parents concocts? Hooooly fuck, I wouldn't give a pet one of those names, let alone a child. I think a lot of them see their kids as cute little toys or accessories, so they think it's fine to give them retarded names like they would with their favorite stuffed animals or pets. They don't see them as people who, in twenty or thirty years' time, will be struggling to get jobs or be taken seriously because they'll be judged by their dumbass names. Hey if you want to name the cat "Budweiser," that's fine because the cat's life aspirations will include little more than sleeping, eating and licking itself. Don't fucking name your kid that and tell everyone it's pronounced "Jamie" and think it'll make you edgy.

Something I wonder in regard to dumbass names is if the parents think giving their kids weird names will make them more likely to become famous. A lot of celebs have odd names, but what these idiot breeders don't seem to grasp is that most weird famous names are names chosen by the person themselves while they usually have normal birth names.

I realize the more people who name their kids dumb shit, the more normal it'll become and we could just be ushering in a new generation of names. After all, a lot of names we consider normal now were probably seen as stupid or weird when they first showed up. But it doesn't change the fact that these names are still stupid right now, and I will always assume the parents are retarded when they insist on naming their brat "Blergh-leighyeeeee'e" instead of any of the thousands upon thousands of perfectly good existing names.
December 26, 2018
bop
Is this the same family that threw a fit and had a mall Santa fired because he "discriminated " against the kid's fake service dog (the man playing Santa was deathly allergic to dog fur)??

Different family, same stupid non-name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 26, 2018
ondinette
There are actual names that were made up by someone in fairly recent times. Vanessa is probably the most common. But I believe the people who made up these names were all writers. It seems like at least 99% of the population will just come up with stupid shit if they try to make up a name.

I refer to this as the "handful of Scrabble tiles" naming method. Things where parents just string together sounds they think are cool, then call it a name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login