Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moo told "I don't care about your kids"

Posted by cfdavep 
Moo told "I don't care about your kids"
December 07, 2018
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/judge-allegedly-tells-stay-home-mom-asked-excused-jury-duty-dont-care-children-004055337.html

Moo gets picked for jury duty, but can't due to no sprog care. Pic looks very "hippy granola"
Re: Moo told "I don't care about your kids"
December 07, 2018
Okay, screw the moo, because you shouldn't have kids you can't afford (and that includes child care), but the judge doesn't sound like a peach either. He says there's nothing wrong with how he spoke to these women, so why did he deny doing it until the court transcripts came up? If he really thinks he wasn't being an ass, then shouldn't he stand by what he said?

Sounds like several assholes just happened to be in the same place at the same time that day, and they're all getting called out on it.
December 07, 2018
Judges have to say stuff like this. People will say ANYTHING to get outta jury duty and it is a DUTY to society and our judicial system. Like judge says, you have to get their attention and make it clear youre not gonna accept these wimpy excuses. Gotta show youre serious. Some judges coddle people, but some are firmer. Plus, the forms that are mailed out say, YOU MUST MAKE ARRANGEMENTS. But jurors come up w/ bullshit excuses. Some wont right away and just hope for the best. But, when we go thru the whole process, some want to back out because it didnt go their way. We know they are lying. When judge said about Mack truck, it means You do have options, you just dont want to put them in place. I can't imagine that all these parents have no elderly family, other moos, and other options. I bet if they sent a notice for a fake giveway, no children allowed, suddenly all moos would find babysitters.

I had a friend who had kid and was off of work a bit. She said she would love to be on a jury, thought it would be interesting, but she had the baby....her senior citizen mom was home and willing and able. Yet, she told the judge she couldnt because childcare issues. But, if she did get hit by a truck and was in the hospital, I'd betcha the mom would be watching the grandchild.

Moos using moo card for everything. That's all I see.
December 08, 2018
The US justice system has always seemed quite ridiculous to me, a holdover from the past. First, you never hear of anyone who wants to do jury duty. The jury must consist of people who are mad they couldn't find a compelling excuse, people who are bored but consider it their duty, and, worst of all, avid rubberneckers. Second, I have very little respect for the judgement and intelligence of my fellow humans. One only has to look at Facebook to see the kind of crappy emotional arguments that appeal to most. Originally, only educated people were serving on juries because the definition of citizenship was so narrow, and honestly I think that's the way to go: not the disenfranchisement, but to have a class of professional judges. Leaving the election of these judges up to the same idiotic populace seems like a complete mess. Outside of England and countries with their colonial legacy, it's quite common to have a special judicial education for lawyers who want to level up, complete with internal checks to identify biased judges.

If I were ever on the dock I'd rather have my fate in the hands of a highly educated and trained person than a bunch of people I'd dismiss as nitwits in daily life.

If the government is going to require people to do compulsory service the government ought also to pay for someone else to perform the work while the person is occupied with the mandatory work. Otherwise the supposed cross-section of the public will be anything but, it will be all people who can afford time off.

So. I understand her trying to get out of jury duty, which I think is both pointless and a burden on the individual. But I don't find her excuse compelling, because it is far easier to find someone competent to take over child care, and at a lower rate, than it is to find someone to take over any kind of professional work. On those grounds, I'm glad the judge shut down the moo card.

But the way in which he did it was so obviously inappropriate in a professional setting that I can't find it in myself to agree with the judge, either. Nobody comes out of this looking good.
December 08, 2018
yurble
Leaving the election of these judges up to the same idiotic populace seems like a complete mess.

Makes me think of the judge who got pissed when he wasn't reelected and started releasing all his defendants on their own recognizance as long as they said they didn't intend to kill anyone. Yeah, that's the petty, infantile attitude we want on the bench....

yurble
But the way in which he did it was so obviously inappropriate in a professional setting that I can't find it in myself to agree with the judge, either. Nobody comes out of this looking good.

Exactly my thoughts. Everybody's an ass there. :/
December 08, 2018
Having done jury duty 3 times in my life, I have seen an assortment of reasons people have used to get excused. The main ones, those not related to the specific case, have been medial or health related, language issues, and financial hardship. Never saw child care allowed although I could see that turning into a financial hardship issue. Then you get to case-specific issues such as having been a crime victim or having a close relative who was a crime victim, or cop ((for criminal cases), or knowing anyone involved with the case.

With my background in the car insurance industry, I wondered if that would have kept me off a jury in a drunk-driving case or a workplace injury case. But I never got far enough into the juror selection process to face those questions.

I got called for jury duty once every 9-11 years. The last time was 11 years ago. Am I due? Now that I am retired (but not near age 65 which can get me an automatic exemption), I surely wouldn't mind being called again.
December 08, 2018
deegee -- your background *could* keep you off but not necessarily. Lawyers only have so many 'kick offs' not including mandatory 'kicks offs' ...language barrier being one of them....but you can tell they understand and are lying. If the lawyers dont kick you off becuz they ran out of choices, you would still be on, no matter your background.

Perfect example is the criminal trial I was on for one week..."Do you know or are you related to any police officers or lawyers?" My answer: Everyone I know is a police officer or a lawyer. (also I worked at a law firm....they also forgot to ask about my educational background). That being said, it shoulda got me kicked off, but.....it was 4:30P I was the last juror to be questioned that day, and the last needed to be picked. They wanted to get started w/ the action the next day. They picked me anyway.
December 08, 2018
I’ve said that with the glut of unemployed/underemployed law students and lawyers out of work, we should create professional juries. Their job would be to serve on juries and that way, Joe Schmo and Jane Everyday aren’t losing several days of work (because you get a pittance for missing work to serve on a jury) and you have juries consisting of people who understand the law and not influenced by what TV police procedurals depict.

But the Sixth Amendment says a “jury of one’s peers”, so it wouldn’t work. Even though they sure as hell manage to find workarounds so that the jury doesn’t actually represent the peers of whoever is on trial.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
December 09, 2018
paragon schnitzophonic
I’ve said that with the glut of unemployed/underemployed law students and lawyers out of work, we should create professional juries. Their job would be to serve on juries and that way, Joe Schmo and Jane Everyday aren’t losing several days of work (because you get a pittance for missing work to serve on a jury) and you have juries consisting of people who understand the law and not influenced by what TV police procedurals depict.

But the Sixth Amendment says a “jury of one’s peers”, so it wouldn’t work. Even though they sure as hell manage to find workarounds so that the jury doesn’t actually represent the peers of whoever is on trial.

Yeah, peers include people with beliefs that either the defense or the prosecuting attorney doesn't like. It includes the whole spectrum of people, not those that have demographic characteristics that studies have shown are more likely to hold views in your favor. Peers also include all those people who get themselves excused for hardship. I don't know why they can't recognize that the intent is blasted all to hell so they may as well adjust the law to suit a modern society.

But as I said, I'd get rid of the jury system entirely. However, if there is to be one, I'd rather have a professional no bullshit one.
December 09, 2018
Cfuter, remember that criminal trials have different rules than civil trials for jury selection, at least in my area. The first 2 times I served were criminal cases. The first time I got on the case and it went to verdict. The second time was the drunk-driving case. I had just joined the jurors being individually questioned late in the afternoon when the judge adjourned for the day. The next morning, the DA and defendant cut a plea deal so we all got tossed back to Central Jury for another 2 days before being dismissed without being called for another case.

The third time was the workplace accident case, a civil case. This was much different from the criminal cases. Here, the 2 lawyers (no judge present) had 30 of us potential jurors in a small room where 12 of us were selected and individually questioned - no apparent limits on challenges, for cause or peremptory. Often, a juror would speak to the lawyers privately so the rest of the juror pool wouldn't be contaminated (or the issue was sensitive and the juror didn't want to air it publicly). Most of the time, the juror got dismissed and his spot among the 12 was replaced by someone waiting in the small gallery area. This stuff went on all day, just to find 6 jurors and 1 alternate. The yakkety lawyers went through nearly all 30 of us, with only me and two others never called. The juror supervisor dismissed the 2 of us from further jury service, printed out a receipt for each of us, and gave us thanks and farewell.

As much a I would not mind being called for jury duty again, I wouldn't go so far as to volunteer for it, as is permitted.
December 09, 2018
I was excused from jury duty due to a long laundry list of mental health issues and regular health issues. However, I have to go through this shit every fucking year.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 09, 2018
yeah, I got called twice during about 5 years. I found jury duty extremely annoying---those views of the OJ jury member KNITTING during testimony are not correct around here. Everyone from the judge on down had a pitcher of water in the stuffy courtroom, EXCEPT US!! We were not allowed to do anything or eat snacks, etc. And one time the whole jury nominated one of the two blue collar men to be jury foreman, and I had to speak up and say----excuse me--this woman over there just stated that she is a contract negotiator for her job---I think she is the best qualified!! Fortunately, they agreed. But no one else apparently would have considered a WOMAN to be the head , had I not objected.
The third time I was called, about 2 years later, I got a doctor's excuse, because the feeling of "imprisonment" being held captive there was too much for my anxiety attacks.
December 10, 2018
I shouldn't go because I have to pee all the time.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 11, 2018
twocents
I shouldn't go because I have to pee all the time.

I hadn't even thought about that, yet of course I should have.

I'm so used to a modern work environment where if you're thirsty you get a drink, if you need to pee, you go pee. We're pretty casual so I also slip out of meetings that extend more than an hour if I need to. I don't really think about the logistics of liquid in/liquid out unless I'm traveling.

I am prone to dehydration headaches so I usually keep liquid next to me and have gotten into the habit of sipping from it without really thinking, as soon as I start to feel thirsty. This does mean frequent bathroom breaks, but hey, it's recommended to get up and move around periodically when you have a desk job.
December 11, 2018
I was the foreperson of my jury duty.

The stupid plaintiff's attys will drink up the water w/ their clients, but defendant's attorneys do not, for the exact reason you just said, The jurors watch you drink while they are not. (but they do get more breaks when the attorneys are still working so they can drink in there). I've seen some judges put the pitcher of water on a shelf in front of the jury as of late. It still would be awkward trying to get some while trial is on tho.
December 11, 2018
yurble

I am prone to dehydration headaches so I usually keep liquid next to me and have gotten into the habit of sipping from it without really thinking, as soon as I start to feel thirsty. This does mean frequent bathroom breaks, but hey, it's recommended to get up and move around periodically when you have a desk job.

I'm so prone to dehydration I have to keep a mini-bottle of water in my purse. Despite the care I take I have been hospitalized for dehydration.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login