Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Think You'll "regret it when you're old?" Think again.

Posted by mumofsixbirds 
Re: Think You'll "regret it when you're old?" Think again.
August 30, 2019
I'll be 70 in October, and I consider my decision to be childfree the best one I ever made!
September 02, 2019
I just turned 69, and I can't imagine how I could have survived spawning.
September 17, 2019
I know of several people in their 60's-70's who would have the option of being retired/retiring soon except for the fact that they are stuck paying the expenses of their grand kids due to their children acting like irresponsible idiots. I realize there are people who want to work until the day they die and that is great because it is their decision to do so. It isn't the same as being a parent for 40+ years, the last 20 years being involuntary. I doubt there is a person alive who strongly desired funneling their retirement budget into daycare.

Here's to kids not being the reason for any of us having a delayed retirement.
September 26, 2019
freya
I know of several people in their 60's-70's who would have the option of being retired/retiring soon except for the fact that they are stuck paying the expenses of their grand kids due to their children acting like irresponsible idiots. I realize there are people who want to work until the day they die and that is great because it is their decision to do so. It isn't the same as being a parent for 40+ years, the last 20 years being involuntary. I doubt there is a person alive who strongly desired funneling their retirement budget into daycare.

I work with people who have the years and the age to retire, but are paying, or saving for spawn's college, so they're stuck putting up with the horseshit. I'm now 56 and looking to retire in a year or two, because with the money I saved and invested, I can already fund my retirement outside of my public pension and social security. We're also looking to move to a different country in a few years, which would never happen if we had kids.

Life is short, why waste it with spawn.
October 13, 2019
freya

As I have posted elsewhere recently, being CF is the main reason I was able to retire at 45, 11 years ago. I am using only my non-retirement assets to live off until the first of my "reinforcements" arrive in about 3 years, at age 59.5. Having unfettered access to my IRA is that first one. After that, in my 60s I will have a frozen company pension and Social Security. My financial picture only gets better after that.

The ACA gave me a nice boost, too, when the exchanges came into existence and made my health insurance more affordable.
December 15, 2019
Turning 51 next week and still no regrets! grinning smiley
December 16, 2019
mumofsixbirds

Happy Birthday Holidays! grinning smiley
December 16, 2019
Peace
mumofsixbirds

Thanks Peace! We've both been sick with some sort of mutant cold. It went into my lungs almost right away and I've been down for nearly a month now. I had to take a couple of weeks off of work because I couldn't even talk. I'm getting better, but my voice is still quite hoarse and I have a cough.

I was at the drugstore waiting for my medications and a clerk started chatting with me. She was really nice, but she mentioned that she'd had that bug too, and she gave me some advice on how to get over it quickly. Then she says, "Because moms can't take sick days!" I smiled and said, "Oh, that sounds awful!" I was kind of flabbergasted because I wasn't sure if she thought I was a moo, or she was a moo or what.

If I had to deal with sickness AND brats, I'd have shot myself a long time ago.
April 13, 2020
Turned 50 yesterday. Still do not like kids or have any desire to be around them.
May 08, 2020
somewhere in china..

"Police in northern China say that a man attempted to bury his mother alive in an abandoned grave.

Authorities have charged the son with attempted murder.

What are the details?
Chinese authorities say that a 58-year-old man's wife told police that her husband carted away his mother — who is partially paralyzed — in a wheelbarrow on May 2.

The man returned, but his mother did not.

The man's wife reportedly told authorities that her mother-in-law had gone missing under mysterious circumstances, and police later summoned the man for questioning.

Authorities discovered the 79-year-old woman alive three days after the burial when the man reportedly confessed he dumped her body into an empty grave.

The elderly woman was "faintly calling for help as she was freed," the Associated Press reported. The woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment, where she remains in stable condition, according to Sky News.

Authorities placed the man in detention in Jingbian County

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
May 28, 2020
mumofsixbirds
Peace
mumofsixbirds

Thanks Peace! We've both been sick with some sort of mutant cold. It went into my lungs almost right away and I've been down for nearly a month now. I had to take a couple of weeks off of work because I couldn't even talk. I'm getting better, but my voice is still quite hoarse and I have a cough.

If I had to deal with sickness AND brats, I'd have shot myself a long time ago.

Mum, I had a similar illness at the end of December, and I suspect it was actually COVID-19.

I'll be 60 this year, and no, I don't regret never sprogging. I've never made much money, but I live frugally (easy to do when you don't have kiddiecrap to buy!), I have about 200K in a 401K, less than 50K left on the mortgage, and if my job doesn't disappear due to The Rona, I should have a pension, and can retire at 65 or 67. No working into extreme old age to support millennial brats for me!
May 28, 2020
JoJo, looking back at how sick both my husband and I were, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was Covid. I'm still on a nebulizer and have a terrible chronic cough that wakes me up with broncho spasms to where I can't breathe.

I did have to give up my job due to sickness and I was upset because I really enjoyed it. Now I can't find anything remote. I have to because we both have serious preexisting conditions.
May 29, 2020
it is coming out that the CCP virus was here early. mid december or maybe even earlier. given some of the illnesses at work quite possible. furthermore, most of the nations ccp outbreaks originated from nyc which came from europe. whcih originated in china. just came a different route
so, trying to keep goddam new yorkers out turns out what should have been done

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 12, 2020
I just turned 53 last month. Yup, hit menopause well over a year ago.

Would I make the decision to be childfree if I had to do it all over again?

You bet your life I would.
December 12, 2020
I'm about to turn 52 years old and still not upset. I enjoy my life without brats and grandbrats.
December 29, 2020
There are several life decisions that are supposedly prone to regret, when in reality it's that we don't really hear much from those who're content with that choice because...well, because it's so "wrong" in society's eyes. CF is one of those choices. Nearly all people who voluntarily choose to skip parenthood have ZERO major regrets.

Other choices people are supposed to regret later on: getting an abortion, leaving an organized religion, cutting out toxic family members, and having/enjoying recreational sex. In all those things there are risks of loneliness, disease, pain, etc but also ways to prevent and mitigate those risks. Definitely better than sticking with something socially affirmed yet still awful.
December 29, 2020
Usually the people you hear going on about how much they regret not having kids are the ones who wanted to have them and couldn't for one reason or another. I have yet to hear any legitimately childFREE (not childLESS) person express any regrets about not reproducing.

Breeders still have bingoes for every age group. In your teens and twenties, it's, "You're not mature enough to make such a permanent decision!" In your thirties and forties, it's, "You better have kids before it's too late!" When you're in your 50s and 60s, it becomes, "Who will take care of you when you get old?" Then in your 70s, 80s and beyond, your peers will just sit there and stew because they're stuck minding their grandkids while you can do whatever the fuck you want and both of you know that a bingo is a waste of time. So they'll choose to bingo younger (and presumably more impressionable) people with the aforementioned bingoes.
January 02, 2021
One of my oldest friends had an unstable older sister who got pregnant, kept the baby, and was surprised and angry that the boyfriend meant it when he said he didn't want to be a father. He up and left the country (wasn't a US citizen, easy to fly the coop). She had the baby, then had a mental breakdown and called the county emergency line because she'd been tempted to harm the baby.

Their parents (the kid's grandparents) wound up raising that baby. Grandpa died when the boy was in middle school. Grandma made it until the boy was a young adult. He was a troubled kid, very angry, very depressed. I'm convinced that having to raise their daughter's lil bundle of error shortened their lives. They never really reached the point of "who will take care of you when you're old" because they didn't have time to wonder about that. They were too busy trying to keep their grandson in school/out of jail, and then it was over.
January 03, 2021
Thanks to the pandemic, I have never been more proud, happy and grateful to be CF. smileys with beer

I can't believe the number of idiots who think it's a great idea to breed right now.
January 12, 2021
Muay biological clock. drooling stupification Yes we know all about that biological clock that didn't exist until the last 50 years or so, it can wait stupid! Like Santa Claus and the Easter bunny, the biological clock isn't real.
January 12, 2021

Thanks to the pandemic, I have never been more proud, happy and grateful to be CF.

Amen, Sister.

Their parents (the kid's grandparents) wound up raising that baby. Grandpa died when the boy was in middle school. Grandma made it until the boy was a young adult. He was a troubled kid, very angry, very depressed. I'm convinced that having to raise their daughter's lil bundle of error shortened their lives. They never really reached the point of "who will take care of you when you're old" because they didn't have time to wonder about that. They were too busy trying to keep their grandson in school/out of jail, and then it was over.

You know what else fucking rocks when you are CF? Retirement. I know so many people whose retirement was postponed because they were providing financial support to grand-brats (because their kids were losers) or their retirement was spent watching their kids' grand-brats or outright raising them, usually because the kids' parunts were losers.

That will never be me and it's fantastic!
January 23, 2021
Medusa
Thanks to the pandemic, I have never been more proud, happy and grateful to be CF. smileys with beer

I can't believe the number of idiots who think it's a great idea to breed right now.

Or those who thinking having a baby is a ray of hope and light during this tough time. Adding another person to the world is a terrible solution. Work with a therapist, get immunized, find ways to feel better. Don't assign that job to an innocent baby. Jeez.

And that's setting aside how you have to increase your risk footprint via more prenatal appointments, the delivery, and then more doctor's appointments with the resulting infant. Terrible plan. Sounds to me like a way to prolong the pandemic, all so you can feel "hope". There was hope before you got knocked up/knocked someone up, moron.
January 23, 2021

Or those who thinking having a baby is a ray of hope and light during this tough time. Adding another person to the world is a terrible solution. Work with a therapist, get immunized, find ways to feel better. Don't assign that job to an innocent baby. Jeez.

Well said!

If baybees had brains (yeah, I know beating with a lol hammer ) they would probably be saying to their parent(s), "Thanks for nothing, you unimaginative loser(s), for bringing me into this shit show."

I'm pushing 60 and I'll be lucky to get out of here before even worse shit goes down. I cannot imagine just starting out now.
March 24, 2021
I went so far as having a hysterectomy to avoid brats. I knew I'd be a shit parent, so I just got rid of the baby making accessories. Because of the freedom CF offers, the entire next generation of my family went to the CF lifestyle. The only Fence Sitter in the family is beyond her fertility years. This has gotten rid of much of the drama that can crop up in families.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 28, 2021
craftyzits I gotta agree about the drama factor! My siblings and I are all CF, and we have less of the stupid inter-generational squabbling that even PNBs have to deal with. If it's not the kids themselves causing issues, it's the grandparents trying to micromanage parenting or other bullshit.

And no, my family's not perfect at ALL...but there's no children, the stakes are much lower in times of difficulty. People handle things how they handle them. There's no "somebody think of the children!".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login