Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baby and toddler brought to adult-only wedding, "debate" ensues

Posted by yurble 
Baby and toddler brought to adult-only wedding, "debate" ensues
December 26, 2018
Breeders were asked not to bring their children to an adult-only wedding. Breeders did not comply. Bride kicked them out. The End? Of course not. The bride seems to have gotten grief from some family members and then asked Reddit if she was an asshole. Fortunately, most are siding with the bride.
Re: Baby and toddler brought to adult-only wedding, "debate" ensues
December 26, 2018

This couple I’m not very close with but the wife is a long-time family friend so I felt that I should invite her. To be clear, all of my invitations stated that there were to be no children at this wedding. But she and her husband showed up with their infant and toddler (who I think is like 3-4).

At the actual wedding ceremony, I let it slide. I was preoccupied for obvious reasons. I also thought that maybe they planned not to attend the reception or to have someone pick the kids up before it started. (My niece, who was our flower girl, and a few other kids who had to be at the wedding for one reason or another we’re getting picked up/dropped off after the ceremony ended).

Anyway the reception rolls around (I’m fast forwarding through irrelevant details about the wedding but it was beautiful and everything went as smoothly as could be expected). The couple comes and, lo and behold, they still have their children.

I had many other guests and didn’t really feel like dealing with it so I asked our event planner to go over to them and discuss whether someone was picking up the child as the reception (and wedding, frankly!) were not supposed to have children.

I mean, everyone was drinking and loud and rowdy and a crying child and another little one running around was not part of the plan. (The infant already had to be taken out once during the wedding ceremony because of fussiness and the toddler was, from what I could see, already appearing cranky).

My event planner went to talk to the couple. I could tell they were arguing with my event planner though so I went over to help him. I think they thought I came to rescue them because they started going on about how rude my event planner was. I explained that I had actually sent him over to discuss the children. I reiterated that the event was child-free and said that I had stated so clearly on my invitations.

The wife gave a sort of apology and then assured me that they were capable of minding their own children to make sure they didn’t get in the way of anything. I said that wasn’t really the point. That’s when my now-husband comes over and he and the other woman’s husband begin going back and forth and things got a little heated.

Finally I snapped and said that they just needed to go, which, thankfully they did without much more noise. Still, the whole scene was incredibly embarrassing which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

I really hate that my wedding day had to be somewhat marred by this incident. According to my mother, everyone was talking about it and I guess enjoying a little dramatic entertainment.
December 26, 2018
Glad to hear she kicked their asses out. As for the breeders-- too bad being that fucking special isn't painful. I mean, they weren't even close friends or family-- what right do they think they had to make themselves the exception?

As for "everyone talking about it," I hope the majority were agreeing the assholes should have been tossed. Can you imagine the heartburn if any new in-laws weren't allowed to bring their children, but these distant friends were allowed to stay with theirs? Great way to kick things off....
December 27, 2018
“Adult-only” means except for my beautiful angels who are perfect, doesn’t everyone know? Breeders can’t imagine a world where there are places that their special offspring aren’t not only welcome, but the highlight of the event.
At least she didn't bow to the breeders til the end...
Although I gotta say, I'd have kicked them out the moment they entered, not waiting til after the main event.
I mean what the hell. If it's clearly printed out on the invitation - tough luck, breeder fuckers.
If your ability to read english popped out along with the loaves - too bad for you.
Stupid entitled sneauxflayke-speshul-pweshuss assholes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom & Art & Music >>>>>>>>>> human spawn

"Music is immortal. People are not."
-William Anger, "King's Story" - Thief2 FM by Zontik
December 27, 2018
I had a ChildFree wedding. I have nieces and nephews that had (and still have) young kids. I avoided the entire mess and drama by simply not inviting people that I thought would give me a rough time about not letting them bring their kids.

It may be an unconventional approach, but it worked. It was a small, intimate wedding and it was exactly as I wanted it. I love my nieces and nephews, and all is good between us now.

A wedding is NOT a place to negotiate whether or not you should bring your brats. If they're invited, it will be stated on the invitation. If they're not, parents should take the fuckin' hint that the bride and groom do not wish for their wedding to be ruined by shrieking, smelly kids.

The fact that the breeders were the assholes, but the bride feels like she's done something wrong, speaks to a whole level of BS that people have to go through where it comes to things like this.
December 27, 2018

The wife gave a sort of apology and then assured me that they were capable of minding their own children to make sure they didn’t get in the way of anything.

Orly now? I question their competence as parents when they can't even handle reading comprehension. "No kids" means "no kids," not, "no kids except for mine." If they can't even be bothered to read simple instructions, then I highly doubt they'd be willing to mind their unwelcome brats at a reception. When a drunken guest steps on one of the free-range brats, there will be threats of violence and lawsuits flying around from the handlers. Heaven forbid the newlyweds want to avoid such drama on their special day.

Glad they were kicked out. Allowing breeders to be the exceptions to the rules means they will continue doing whatever the hell they want, always expecting to be the exception. Sounds like they tried their usual method of throwing a tantrum in the hopes that it would make the hosts cave and give them their own way.
December 27, 2018
Cambion
Glad they were kicked out. Allowing breeders to be the exceptions to the rules means they will continue doing whatever the hell they want, always expecting to be the exception. Sounds like they tried their usual method of throwing a tantrum in the hopes that it would make the hosts cave and give them their own way.

They knew exactly what they were doing. If it had been a genuine mistake, they would have apologized when the wedding planner brought it to their attention. The fact that they argued, then went on to argue with the bride and groom shows that they were expecting that they could do what they wanted and other people would let them get away with it to avoid a scene. I bet they are also the sort of people who complain loudly at businesses in hopes of getting freebies. Far too often such people get away with their obnoxiousness, because other people don't want to make a fuss.
December 28, 2018
Whoever pays for the party determines the guest list. That goes for weddings, birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc.

It used to be that only those named on the invitation who RSVP-ed would show to the event. Now the jerks (if any are invited) push the invitation boundaries until it makes everyone else uncomfortable. And weddings tend to be high dollar. Even if I liked kids it doesn't make sense to feed them $100+ plates of food they will likely hate, it is a waste.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login