Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Public emergency declared in Washington as measles spreads through anti-vax community

Posted by Cambion 
But at least they won't get autism, right?

Out of the 23 confirmed cases so far, 20 are not vaccinated (the other three have uncertain vaccination status). And because the sick fuckers have been all over the place in that county, odds of the disease continuing to spread are pretty damn high.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/426593-washington-officials-declare-public-health-emergency-as-measles-outbreak

Sooooo let's hear all about that herd immunity anti-vaxers all love to go on about! I believe something like 90 or 95 percent of the "herd" has to be vaccinated in order for the remaining morons to be safe from illness. While the percentage of anti-vaxers nationwide is relatively small, that doesn't help the smaller "herds" in communities where entire classes are unvaccinated. The two kids in someone's kindergarten class who have had their shots will be fine, but everyone else will get sick if someone catches a bug.

Meanwhile, over on the East Coast, New York has one of the worst measles outbreaks in decades going on now.

If it was just the brain-dead breeders who had to suffer, I wouldn't care. I'd say let 'em get sick and die because they deserve it for being ignorant and shirking preventive medical care. But the kids who rely on their parents to care for them are the ones paying the piper for their dumbass parents' neglect, sometimes with permanent damage or even dying. Someone tell me again why this isn't considered neglect or endangerment? If any of you folks are in New York or Washington, invest in some surgical masks lest you catch some little germ vector's virus.
They're just lucky it's the measles and not polio. I don't think these morons will get it until their precious, unvaxxed angels are all locked up in iron lungs.
I've had all my vaccines updated recently - got whooping cough done for my last trip to WA state - but even if you do that there's always a chance that you can be one of the unlucky ones for whom it doesn't 'take'. I hate these assholes.
The joke is going to be on the anti-vax terrified-of-the-autism breeders when their measles-ridden children end up with encephalitis (a known complication of measles) and their child is left mentally disabled.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
I started working at a hospital a couple of years ago. Because I don't have my childhood vax records they had to draw blood and check my immunization titers. Turns out I had to have my MMR redone because the shot from my childhood was loosing effectiveness (? Not sure on the science behind that...). Something to keep in mind with all these special snowflake exemptions running around.
Cambion
But at least they won't get autism, right?

Yep. Better dead than "special."

I know I'm not alone here, but that reasoning has always baffled me..."I'd rather risk my child being blind/disfigured/brain damaged/corpsified than autistic."

Hasn't anyone done a study showing that the percentage of autistic kids is the same in anti-vax communities as it is among sane people? Of course, these nutjobs are experts at picking and choosing which studies they believe, so I suppose more actual facts would do no good....

Someone tell me again why this isn't considered neglect or endangerment?

It should be. Every parent who has access to vaccinations for their kids and doesn't have it done should be jailed. Their kids should be vaxxed and put in foster care. Having kids and then deliberately risking their lives (and everyone's around them) should be treated as a crime.
There is a virus very similar to polio that's been floating around for the past few months paralyzing kids (and some adults), only unlike polio, there's no vaccine for it.

I don't think a lot of anti-vaxers realize (or care) that the things we vaccinate against can have permanent side effects. I don't get it, you need to have your dogs vaccinated in order for vets to treat them. Why can't doctors just all universally fire any patients that aren't vaccinated? I'm guessing this is because Moos would just not take their kids to the hospital and/or refuse to get them medical treatment if shots were a pre-requisite for care. If it shots were mandatory for school enrollment, Moos would just home-school or un-school them.

Anti-vaxers are a proud and headstrong bunch and I could easily see any one of them telling doctors to let their kids die if the choice was treatment and vaccination or no treatment at all. Then I'm sure there would be threatened lawsuits about how the doctors "let" their dumplings die. Because rules are for everyone else, after all - NOT for mommies and especially not for anti-vax mommies.

The problem is maybe not so much anti-vaccination, but the fact that there are ways for breeders to get around childhood vaccinations. Take away their options - no more exemptions for anything besides legitimate doctor-diagnosed vaccine allergies, no more keeping kids out of school, no neglecting your kid's health to avoid vaccine lectures from doctors. Either you get your kid their shots or you get fined and the kids go to the state, and for good measure, any children you have afterward get taken away too so you don't get a do-over and neglect another child.

I mean they'll find a way around it because that's what breeders do, but at least it won't be easy for them to do it.
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these viruses come back, but mutated and impossible to cure. The ones who are smart enough to have their vaccinations will still suffer and die as new mutations come out of the old, stronger viruses. That's what really freaks me out about this whole thing.
Ugh. Yeah, it's happening. I checked the dates on my MMR vax, and I should be okay. There was a measles outbreak when I was in high school & even vaccinated kids were getting hit. Turns out that some people got the shots when they were too young, and didn't get full immunity. (Maybe that's what happened to you, stillwaters?) So I should be okay.

Something like this happened here about six years ago, with pertussis. I had just gotten over mono and was NOT taking any chances. I went out and got a DPT booster.

People are whining about their kids being excluded from school because they're unvaccinated. I think that should be the norm, not just when there's an outbreak. Unless you have a medical reason for not being vaccinated (like deadly reactions to it), stfu and take your kid for vax appointments.

We're enough generations removed from the time when children routinely died from communicable diseases. The non-vaxxing parents have no concept of what it was like, and think it's just "natural" and that their kid would be fine. The possibility of paralysis, encephalitis, lung damage, brain damage, horrific scarring, blindness, or sterility doesn't occur to them. Though the sterility part would be blessing in disguise.

Yeah, I have some feelings about the non-vaxxers in my county. Can you tell?
Found this earlier. It's commentary from Roald Dahl about the importance of vaccinations after seeing his daughter die from measles complications.

https://www.boredpanda.com/losing-daughter-measles-vaccine-anti-vax-message-roald-dahl/

On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy (death by measles or other preventable illness) does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunized against measles.

It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunized are putting the lives of those children at risk.

...because so many parents refuse (to vaccinate), either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunized, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year. Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another. At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections. About 20 will die.

In Dahl's case, there wasn't a reliable measles vaccine available for his daughter to receive. And while severe complications from measles are very rare (something like 1-3 out of 1,000 cases) and fatal complications are even rarer, why take the chance? It's not like going through a medical procedure to attempt to save your life that could also kill you. It's a totally preventable disease, and I know every single anti-vaxer thinks nothing bad will happen to THEIR child. Yeah, well guess what? Those 1-3 out of 1,000 cases come from somewhere and it might just wind up being your child.
You know how fucking reactionary parents of autistic kids are? Someone should gather them together, point at the anti-vaxxers, and say, "See those people over there? They think your kids would be better off dead." And then let them all demolish each other for us.
Thanks for this. I'm in a danger state and will look into it. Had MMR in 2010 along with at least tetanus. Had to have both to move overseas. Have the flu now which I definitely caught from someone, not taking any chances on being lax with immunizations.

Brats are germ factories. I hope someone sues these no vac psychos for killing others with the measles.
Anti-vax breeders fully reveal the altruism claim for the lie it is. Breeders don't become less selfish when they have kids, they become more selfish, but include their children in their conception of self. Otherwise they'd be worried about the consequences to other children, instead of doggedly sticking to what they feel is best for their own child, damn the consequences to the rest of society.
yurble
Anti-vax breeders fully reveal the altruism claim for the lie it is. Breeders don't become less selfish when they have kids, they become more selfish, but include their children in their conception of self. Otherwise they'd be worried about the consequences to other children, instead of doggedly sticking to what they feel is best for their own child, damn the consequences to the rest of society.

Agreed. Their kids are nothing but extensions of themselves, and since breeders are only looking out for themselves, of course they never give a shit how neglecting their own kids could impact someone else's children. But then these are typically the same kinds of people who won't adopt because they just couldn't love a child that wasn't theirs. Or they might say how much they hate other people's kids and adore their own (a relatively common mindset among breeders). And anti-vax breeders have nothing to fear because I guarantee they already had all their childhood vaccinations, so even if Princess and Precious do come home with measles, Moo won't get it.

They give no fucks about the fact that not only could their own kids wind up horribly sick, but that they could suffer permanent side effects, possibly die, or could infect others. Not just other dumbass anti-vaxers' kids, but babies who are too young to get shots, people with fucked immune systems (imagine a loved one beating cancer with chemo and dying because of some negligent asshole's sick brat), people with legitimate vaccine allergies, the elderly, or anyone else who would love to be protected and can't be for REAL reasons.

Most of them don't even care what's best for their own children because several parents will gladly harm or endanger their kids for any number of self-serving reasons ranging from making a statement to being "unique" to having a battle of some kind to fight or even for potential compensation purposes if they can sue someone.
Cambion
There is a virus very similar to polio that's been floating around for the past few months paralyzing kids (and some adults), only unlike polio, there's no vaccine for it.

I don't think a lot of anti-vaxers realize (or care) that the things we vaccinate against can have permanent side effects. I don't get it, you need to have your dogs vaccinated in order for vets to treat them. Why can't doctors just all universally fire any patients that aren't vaccinated? I'm guessing this is because Moos would just not take their kids to the hospital and/or refuse to get them medical treatment if shots were a pre-requisite for care. If it shots were mandatory for school enrollment, Moos would just home-school or un-school them.

Anti-vaxers are a proud and headstrong bunch and I could easily see any one of them telling doctors to let their kids die if the choice was treatment and vaccination or no treatment at all. Then I'm sure there would be threatened lawsuits about how the doctors "let" their dumplings die. Because rules are for everyone else, after all - NOT for mommies and especially not for anti-vax mommies.

The problem is maybe not so much anti-vaccination, but the fact that there are ways for breeders to get around childhood vaccinations. Take away their options - no more exemptions for anything besides legitimate doctor-diagnosed vaccine allergies, no more keeping kids out of school, no neglecting your kid's health to avoid vaccine lectures from doctors. Either you get your kid their shots or you get fined and the kids go to the state, and for good measure, any children you have afterward get taken away too so you don't get a do-over and neglect another child.

I mean they'll find a way around it because that's what breeders do, but at least it won't be easy for them to do it.

My mom’s an RN, and I asked her about this a few years ago when there was a pertussis outbreak in the state where I used to teach. She said that the practice she works at makes anti-vaxers sign a waiver. It’s along the lines of “I am choosing to go against your medical advice, so if my kid dies of measles/pertussis/polio/etc. I can’t sue you. You warned me, and I did it anyway.” If the parents refuse to sign they receive a phone call from the main hospital telling them to find a new practice in a new health system. They’re not taking any chances with these idiots.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
From what I saw on the News, the disease is spreading down to Oregon. They're afraid that people who were exposed have gone off to other places, including airports and hospitals. I hope it doesn't, but if it reaches epidemic proportions, the laws about letting people not vax their kids will have to be looked at very seriously. I hope this is the wake up call that these assholes need to realize that they're playing Russian Roulette, not only with their kids lives, but also the general health and safety of the public.

The sad thing is that dumb people are breeding, and we all know what stupidity does.
mumofsixbirds
From what I saw on the News, the disease is spreading down to Oregon. They're afraid that people who were exposed have gone off to other places, including airports and hospitals. I hope it doesn't, but if it reaches epidemic proportions, the laws about letting people not vax their kids will have to be looked at very seriously. I hope this is the wake up call that these assholes need to realize that they're playing Russian Roulette, not only with their kids lives, but also the general health and safety of the public

I doubt it would bother them at all, at least from a moral/ethical standpoint. After all, they seem to think that neglecting their kids' well-being is good parenting and they don't even know anyone else eixists until they get in Moo's way. But if they get told they need to vaccinate their kids, there will be petitions, protests, screaming and bawwing on social media, various movements, angry Moos throwing around words like "discrimination" and "rights" a lot, and bizzy mommies working hard to find ways around any laws put in place that make vaccinations a requirement.

Moos have an ungodly amount of energy that they channel toward the worst possible things. That's another thing I've noticed too: every anti-vaxxer seems to be a mother. I've never seen an anti-vaccination Duh. Has anyone else noticed this? Is opposing vaccines just a side effect of Moo brain, or have I just never seen the elusive anti-vaccination father?
I know of one duh who is an anti vaxxer. He also believes the world is flat. Yup, he does. He has two daughters out of wedlock. Last I heard, the moo moved out and took the kids away from him because he's a bit of a psycho. From what I've heard, it sounds as if one of the sticking points in their relationship was the fact that he didn't allow her to have the kids vaccinated.

I sincerely hope she gets that done.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this all came to light when the duh's grandmother was in a home with advanced dementia. It was going to be her birthday, and everyone was invited to a small gathering in the home, BUT the kids couldn't come because they weren't vaxxed. The home will not allow people who haven't had a flu shot in, so it stands to reason that unvaxxed kids can't enter a nursing home which is full of elderly people with compromised immune systems.
mumofsixbirds
From what I saw on the News, the disease is spreading down to Oregon. They're afraid that people who were exposed have gone off to other places, including airports and hospitals. I hope it doesn't, but if it reaches epidemic proportions, the laws about letting people not vax their kids will have to be looked at very seriously. I hope this is the wake up call that these assholes need to realize that they're playing Russian Roulette, not only with their kids lives, but also the general health and safety of the public.

The sad thing is that dumb people are breeding, and we all know what stupidity does.

When I lived in Portland, they voted down the fluoridation of water and have apparently done it more than once. When I'd go to the dentist for a routine cleaning I'd be told, "I can tell you're not from here, because of your teeth". I think about that when I think about the anti-vaxxer nonsense in that area.
Ketchup
When I lived in Portland, they voted down the fluoridation of water and have apparently done it more than once. When I'd go to the dentist for a routine cleaning I'd be told, "I can tell you're not from here, because of your teeth". I think about that when I think about the anti-vaxxer nonsense in that area.

I consider fluoridation in the water a different issue, because people can still opt in to using fluoridated products, and people not using fluoridated products doesn't harm anyone other than themselves. I object to additives because they are not fine-grained but are given to everyone, including people who might potentially suffer from them. With vaccines we have exemptions for people with genuine medical issues, and with additives this is impossible.

But mostly I resent the assumption that I'm too stupid to make my own decisions. There have been calls to put prenatal vitamins in food additives because many pregnancies are unplanned, and it would irk me greatly to be put on prenatal vitamins by the government. (Note that I do use fluoridated toothpaste, but I prefer to do it as a personal choice.)
I just heard a new bit of insanity-- some anti-vaxxers claim vaccines can cause, besides autism and a host of other medical conditions, homosexuality and darker-skinned children from lighter-skinned parents. It's a bigotry paradise, apparently.
kittehpeoples
I just heard a new bit of insanity-- some anti-vaxxers claim vaccines can cause, besides autism and a host of other medical conditions, homosexuality and darker-skinned children from lighter-skinned parents. It's a bigotry paradise, apparently.

Huh. That's odd. I've been vaxxed up the ying-yang, and I'm lily white and hetero. My husband is the same, and he''s had every vaccine under the sun. Just when you think you've heard every bit of nonsense possible, along comes something even more outrageous.

ITA, this is just plain bigotry and ignorance.
LOLwut, I would LOVE to know how vaccines could possibly affect sexuality and skin color. Sounds like they're trying to fill out a bingo card of made-up vaccine-related symptoms. Surprised they aren't claiming they cause cancer too.

Also, everyone's so scared of their brats catching autism from vaccines, but then don't parents of autistic kids usually go on about how awesome and more special their kids are compared to non-autistic ones (so denial, in other words)? So if having an awtarded child is so much better than having a normal one, wouldn't that make an awtard preferable? People would be fighting over whose child gets their shots first. Either being a parent of an awtard is wonderful or it's horrible - it can't be both.

Meanwhile, I recently happened upon two more anti-vax gems on a site I frequent:

www.boredpanda.com/anti-vaxxer-asking-measles-protection-advice/
This cancer curing anti-vaccination Moo lives in one of the states affected by the measles outbreak and she's asking the public how best to protect her unvaxed child from measles. Yes, she gets her ass handed to her. It's scary how fucking dumb people are.

www.boredpanda.com/vaccination-without-mothers-consent/
Meanwhile, this poor kid has some common sense and is diving into law books to figure out how to get vaccinated without parental consent because his parents are anti-vax and he is not. No kid should have to research the law to figure out how to get basic medical care.

Goddamn, I hate people. I wish the fucking anti-vaxers would be the only ones who get sick and die, but since pretty much all of them have had their shots, they're the only ones who won't be reaping what they sow from their ignorant negligence of their own kids.
Cambion
LOLwut

My reaction exactly.

Also, everyone's so scared of their brats catching autism from vaccines, but then don't parents of autistic kids usually go on about how awesome and more special their kids are compared to non-autistic ones (so denial, in other words)?

Parents of autistic kids think claim they're a gift to the universe. Everybody else knows they're faulty. Personally, I REALLY resent anyone who tries to normalize a disability of any kind. Those of us with genetic or mental flaws are not "special" or "just like everyone else." I would fucking love to have a body that functioned correctly, but I know it doesn't, I know I'm not like everybody else, and I don't want the world to expect me to be. I can't. Plus normalizing these things just leads to defunding research on treatments and cures.

www.boredpanda.com/vaccination-without-mothers-consent/
Meanwhile, this poor kid has some common sense and is diving into law books to figure out how to get vaccinated without parental consent because his parents are anti-vax and he is not. No kid should have to research the law to figure out how to get basic medical care.

I've heard of this, unvaxxed kids seeking out vaccinations on their own. At least the stupidity isn't being passed down in every case.
www.boredpanda.com/anti-vaxxer-asking-measles-protection-advice/

My favorite wrap-up comment there is "Unvaccinated children are like dark humor...they never get old."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login