Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"grandbreeders" want to save their son's sperm...

Posted by cfuter 
"grandbreeders" want to save their son's sperm...
March 06, 2019
Becuz we all would suffer without their genes running around this world I guess.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/parents-obtain-order-to-preserve-sperm-of-west-point-cadet-killed-in-accident

Parents obtain order to preserve sperm of cadet killed in skiing incident

The parents of a West Point, New York, cadet who died in a skiing incident have obtained an order for the preservation of his sperm.

A New York judge, John Colangelo of Westchester County, granted the parents’ request March 1 and directed that the sperm be held in storage until further order, report the New York Times, the Associated Press, the Rockland/Westchester Journal News and the Washington Post. The next court hearing in the case is scheduled for March 21.

The cadet, 21-year-old Peter Zhu, was declared brain-dead Feb. 27, four days after the skiing incident at the Victor Constant Ski Area near the West Point military academy. He was kept alive at Westchester Medical Center until March 1 to allow the harvesting of his organs for donation. Colangelo granted the parents’ request to preserve the sperm hours after the parents had sought it.

Zhu’s parents said in court papers that their son had dreamed of having five children. “We are desperate to have a small piece of Peter that might live on and continue to spread the joy and happiness that Peter bought to all of our lives,” their legal filing said.

The parents, Yongmin and Monica Zhu, also said they wanted to preserve the sperm because their son was the only male child in his family who could pass down the family name.

According to the Associated Press, the first documented retrieval of sperm from a person after his death was reported in 1980. The first baby conceived from such a procedure was born in 1999.

Usually spouses request the sperm, but some parents also have done so. The Associated Press cites the case of a man killed in a bar fight whose mother obtained permission for sperm retrieval in 2009.

One set of ethics guidelines says posthumous retrieval of sperm or an embryo is justifiable if there is written documentation that the deceased person had authorized the procedure. The guidelines were issued in 2018 by the Ethics Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.

If there is no written document, medical programs willing to perform such procedures should do so only if requested by the surviving spouse or partner, the guidelines say.

The guidelines differentiate between a request by a surviving spouse or partner and a surviving parent. “In the case of a surviving parent, no joint reproductive effort can ever be said to have existed,” the guidelines say. “Nor do the desires of the parents give them any ethical claim to their child’s gametes.”

State laws may vary on whether posthumous retrieval is permissible, the ethics guidelines say. And state laws vary on whether posthumously conceived children are legally recognized as offspring of the deceased.
Re: "grandbreeders" want to save their son's sperm...
March 06, 2019
So do these grandbreeders start advertising around for someone to carry it?
March 06, 2019
Setting aside the utter selfishness exhibited here, sounds like the author of this article thinks the request shouldn't have been granted-- she only quoted the guidelines that say only spouses have the right to harvest sperm posthumously.
March 06, 2019
cfdavep
So do these grandbreeders start advertising around for someone to carry it?

That's how everybody else does it, right?
March 06, 2019
It is disgusting to make decisions for others after they die, unless the person asked for this to be done in the event that they die or put it in writing that that is what they want. When my father died I did cremation because he left no instruction, but that is necessary to do something with the body after death. Taking sperm is not necessary, but well....egos, parents assume their kids would've married and had kids had they lived.
March 06, 2019
And now they have to find a host willing to incubate the sperm and hope the genetic lottery results in a product that is a mini-me of their son, because that is what they really want, right?
March 06, 2019

Zhu’s parents said in court papers that their son had dreamed of having five children. “We are desperate to have a small piece of Peter that might live on and continue to spread the joy and happiness that Peter bought to all of our lives,” their legal filing said.

Did he dream of having five kids? Or did his parents dream of him giving them five grandkids? Given how desperate these people are for their dead son's sperm and the fact that they claim a 21-year-old man wanted five kids (that sounds like parental projection to me), I'm thinking he didn't want a gaggle of brats himself and his parents were likely pressuring/brainwashing him into "wanting" lots of kids.

And who is going to be raising the child conceived with their dead kid's sperm? Them? Or will they be hiring a full-time mother to not only serve as a surrogate, but to raise it? And have they considered what mental/emotional impact it will have on the kid if/when he or she finds out how they were brought into the world? Do they realize how much it could disturb a person to find out that they will never meet their father and that they were conceived with a dead person's sperm? Not to mention the issues that can arise when a surrogate decides they don't want to give up the loaf they've been incubating for the better part of a year if this one would be expected to grow the loaf and then hand it over. If the parents that had the sperm harvested wind up being unable to afford their grandchild's care, will they harass the mother for child support?

And what's this shit about being the only heir to pass down the family name? Men can take women's surnames in marriage, or if one of the implied female siblings of the dead guy wanted to maintain the famblee name, they could just not get married and/or not take their partner's name. Judging by the way this family sounds, they seem to be very "traditional" and probably expect their daughters to get married, take their husband's last names (and dog help them if any of them are lesbians), and push out a bunch of brats.

I'm truly, honestly sorry they lost their son. No one should have to bury their child. But digging his sperm out of his corpse in order to use it to make a child with half his genes will not bring him back. I'd wager if the child conceived with their dead son's sperm turns out to be female, they would probably insist on an abortion or just not take responsibility for it. The tone of the story suggests these people are hung up on having a male heir, so I imagine nothing but a male carbon copy of their deceased son will suffice. Gotta preserve that family name after all!
March 06, 2019
I think they’re hoping to avoid the male child problem with their claim that he wanted five kids. They’re just gonna keep trying to make new babies until they get a boy, five tries should be plenty of time.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
March 06, 2019
Did anyone else find this humorous?

"The Associated Press cites the case of a man killed in a bar fight whose mother obtained permission for sperm retrieval in 2009."

It was a necessity to harvest this particular guy's jizz because the world doesn't have enough violent assholes already?

"Do they realize how much it could disturb a person to find out that they will never meet their father and that they were conceived with a dead person's sperm?"

So Dr. Phil can proclaim that a baby should not be born with a job, yet nobody can see the wrong in creating a baby just so the grandparents don't have to cry? I'm also sorry they lost their son, but nothing is going to bring him back, and doing this is going to cause a lot of problems for the kid.

Breeders in general are way too obsessed with their family genes or their family name, etc. They really need to get over themselves.
March 06, 2019
These parents sound nutso-level traditional. Seriously. I mean, I thought my paternal grandfather was being an ass when he would dwell on how my brother was the only one who would carry on the family name...these people need therapy. Their son is dead, and I'm so sorry they lost him. But he's gone. No one else will replace him, and how DARE they saddle an innocent kid with the job of being DNA carrier and walking reminder of a father it never even knew? Ugh.

Everyone else has covered the same outrage I feel...I'd just like to add that my siblings and I got our revenge in the end, I guess...NONE of us have kids. Not sure about my sister, but a recent conversation revealed that Bro is indeed CF. Suck it, grandpa.
March 07, 2019
randomcfchick
I'd just like to add that my siblings and I got our revenge in the end, I guess...NONE of us have kids. Not sure about my sister, but a recent conversation revealed that Bro is indeed CF. Suck it, grandpa.

It'd be kind of just if that happened here, if these nutbars went to all the trouble of degrading their son's body to get what were apparently the really important bits, and then the resulting kid is nothing like they expect or want...you know, as most kids are.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login