Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rich Asshole Parents Committing Fraud to get their Average Womb Products into Elite Schools

Posted by bell_flower 
Boy this is JUICY.

Justice Department charges 50 people--including two television stars---with being part of a long running bribery scheme to get privileged children with lackluster grades into big-name colleges and universities.

But I thought parenting made one a Better PersonTM?

I read stuff like this and I am glad I do not have kids. Why tell your kid to study hard when rich assholes just buy their way in?

I was thinking these idiots only got in and probably flunked out, but you know there was probably support once they got in, that also came at a price.

Relevant quotes:

Court filings released Tuesday paint an ugly picture of privileged parents committing crimes to get their children into selective schools. Among those charged are actresses Felicity Huffman, best known for her role on the television show “Desperate Housewives,” and Lori Loughlin, who appeared on “Full House,” according to court documents. A representative for Loughlin declined to comment. A representative for Huffman did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Loughlin and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, were accused of paying $500,000 in bribes so their two daughters would be designated as recruits for the University of Southern California crew team — even though they were not part of the team. That helped the pair get into USC, according to the complaint.

Huffman is accused of paying $15,000 — disguised as a charitable donation — to the Key Worldwide Foundation so her oldest daughter could participate in the scam. A confidential informant told investigators that he advised Huffman he could arrange for a third party to correct her daughter’s answers on the SAT after she took it. She ended up scoring a 1420 — 400 points higher than she had gotten on a PSAT taken a year earlier, according to court documents.

My favorite quote from the article, which is from Boston's U.S. Attorney, Andrew Lelling:

You're More Than a Little Late, Dude.
There can be no separate college admission system for the wealthy, and I’ll add there will not be a separate criminal justice system, either.

Um, the world 'fail' on flames
While most of us had to work hard to get good grades, hit the books, and pay our way through school (myself, for two college degrees).

College should be for serious students only.

Parenting Makes for Vicarious Living (TM Pending)
Loughlin's husband is estimated to be worth between $80 million dollars. What I will never understand is if your parents are worth that kind of money why do they need to buy you into a college? The parents have immense wealth, fame and likely are respected. Their kids are starting at step 99 out of 100.

It just takes the opportunity away from someone else, potentially the advantage of lifetime for many of us plebs.

Huffman and her husband are worth $45 million. There is no excuse for this crap. And what is their average kid going to do once in the school? Hire someone to take classes and tests? With a below average SAT score of 1000 none of the top tier schools in the article are going to pay a bit of attention to her, it would be a non-competitive state college at best.

They should do what other wealthy families do for the ones that turn out to be defects, put a couple million in a trust fund for the brat(s) who demonstrate no potential and hire a check writer to pay their set expenses and provide a monthly allowance.

Their website (pretty sure this is it) doesn't mention any of this, of course:
http://www.thekeyworldwide.com/why_the_key/
freya
And what is their average kid going to do once in the school? Hire someone to take classes and tests?

That's exactly what they're going to do. I have friends in elite academia (not state schools), and they can tell stories of rich kids who pay others to do their assignments and to take their exams.

Or they take the exams themselves...and cheat.
More details

Louglin allegedly paid $500,000 to USC to have her daughters designated as crew recruits when they never played on the team

Another story with details of how it worked and says another rich asshole actually paid 1.2 million dollars to get their kid into one of these schools.

I predict A LOT OF MOOING from the defendants. They will hire PR firms to issue skillful statements that they ONLY WANTED THE BEST FOR THEIR CHILD-RUN They will plead ignorance. The big bad consultant took advantage of them.

Naturally, none of these bitches will ever spend a day in jail, because they will have the best lawyers and PR firms that money can buy, but I hope their lives are Hell for a while.

full list of people charged

According to the list, Longlin and Huffman are only charged with mail and wire fraud, not as serious as RICO or money laundering, although I hope the IRS gives them a look if they were dumb/greedy enough to claim their payments as charitable deductions.
This supports the fact that so many charities are just tax deductions/sham corporations for the wealthy.
one assumes we can add #45 to this list! No way he could have legitimately graduated college and grad school.
And nice move too, to declare your chyyyld "disabled" so they get extra time to take tests, then you can send in a surrogate. This is why people with genuine disabilities always get the side-eye, because of entitled, cheating assholes.

Disgusting all around.

Like either of Loughlin's girls would have amounted to anything anyway. There was some twitter backlash when one of them tweeted she was only going to USC anyway for the parties and social life.

Future preggo-parking demander.
Was there anyone who thought this wasn't happening?
All parents, mostly less wealthy, can expect a world where their precious will be unable to earn a living and most likely be homeless.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
I found the hard part of college is learning something for the first time, especially if other students who went to prep schools know the answers already. Going to Breed Hills, with all the movies they show in class, it was a rude awakening. First of all, don't these rich kids go to the best schools before college? And why not just spend the money to go to college twice? That way you take everything over again and know the answers and its probably less than "buying them off".
The rich have always been able to pull strings to get top notch educations and careers for their average or even deficient spawn. That is one reason why stories about the "self made man" who succeeds without any advantages are so popular. I read recently this is becoming impossible. In the future nobody will be able to rise out of poverty no matter how smart or hard working they are. I guess increased population means more rich people sucking up all the resources for themselves and their brats.

And why not just spend the money to go to college twice? That way you take everything over again and know the answers and its probably less than "buying them off"

A few reasons I can think of: These entitled brats don't want to put in the work to raise their grades and do SAT prep and why should they if Mumsie and Dads make these pesky things go away? Going to junior college and making good grades still requires effort. (If I had kids, I would certainly recommend this. I'd require my brat to go to a feeder school for a four year university due to cost. Even if I had it, I would not be interested in blowing a shit load of money just so some brat could party on my dime.)

Would one of these "elite universities" accept someone with a 4.0 from a junior college? This article seems to confirm what we suspected all along: not likely due to limited space and these elite universities are looking to line their pockets.

The rich have always been able to pull strings to get top notch educations and careers for their average or even deficient spawn. That is one reason why stories about the "self made man" who succeeds without any advantages are so popular. I read recently this is becoming impossible. In the future nobody will be able to rise out of poverty no matter how smart or hard working they are. I guess increased population means more rich people sucking up all the resources for themselves and their brats.

THAT. So that.
Sounds like life imitating art. There was a Law & Order episode back in 2003 where some rich people were bribing the admissions officer of an elite private school using an elaborate scheme to get their little kids in, at the expense of smarter kids whose parents lacked the extra money to bribe him. His subordinate discovered the scheme and he killed her to keep the scandal from ruining him.
think the list is up to 750 now. nothing new under the sun here.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
One talk show host out my way mentioned that, in this school fraud investigation, literally hundreds of others we haven't heard about have already pleaded guilty to the federal charges. They know the feds got them.

Several talk shows have made the point that for every one of these elite children who gamed the system to get in, some poor kid lost a chance for admission.

Also, on the face of it, how does someone get admitted on an athletic scholarship, then refuse to play the sport, yet remain at that university? Historically, many jocks would not have been qualified for admission for many of the universities had they not been able to play their sport. I have hard feelings about this because of what I saw at the uni I attended for one year before leaving for lack of funds. All my financial aid fell through, even loans, under the rules of the time (early 1980s). But the jocks got loads of freebies...

Odinette said, "In the future nobody will be able to rise out of poverty no matter how smart or hard working they are." I submit we're already dangerously close to that. Just look at the disparities in wealth and opportunity that already exist. Add to that the way many employers screw over even their best workers.
ondinette

In the future the poor will no longer be able to eat, to survive much less 'make it' in society. Hopefully, when that time comes I will be able to commit suicide in a painless manner.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
I guess Huffman had a parenting website, from the Chicago Tribune:

While other celebrities started lifestyle brands dedicated to jade vagina eggs (Gwyneth Paltrow) or butt-sculpting yoga pants (Kate Hudson), Huffman created the website, What The Flicka, dedicated to parenting. Specifically, to being a mom. Even more specifically, to being a real, relatable, imperfect mom.

WhatTheFlicka.com is a land of sardonic coffee mugs and wine-o'clock-Wednesdays, and scented candles with names such as "Juice Cleanse" that purport to smell like "greens, mint, and regret." The articles about parenting have headlines such as "10 ways I'm totally screwing up my kids" and "10 reasons to dread summer with kids" and "9 ways parenthood is like 'Game of Thrones.' "

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-where-is-william-h-macy-in-college-admissions-scandal-20190315-story.html

Altho, as a CF I'm glad to know that breeders are dreading their summers, even tho they keep trying to convince us that they are experiencing 'joy'.
cfuter

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-where-is-william-h-macy-in-college-admissions-scandal-20190315-story.html

Altho, as a CF I'm glad to know that breeders are dreading their summers, even tho they keep trying to convince us that they are experiencing 'joy'.

I looked for the website and it appears to be down. Probably a very sensible move.

I thought it was safe to assume that if a name wasn't included then they had no concrete evidence to indict that person. Sounds like some husbands may have had more involvement in this than is being portrayed and somehow managed to avoid having their photos published. There is no need to target the moms anymore than the dads, whomever was involved deserves to have their names published. And if there are famous men involved in the scandal then publish their photos too.

I feel bad for the employees at the charity who had no knowledge of this fiasco and are now at risk of losing their jobs. They're likely the ones who are living paycheck to paycheck and work at a non-profit to help others.
For some reason, I am thinking of the other end of all this: Why are there so many (or are there so many) poor smart kids? If couples would stop having kids they can't afford, this problem would just go away, just as poverty in general would be less severe. As for high college costs, isn't the reason for such high price just pure greed on the part of the universities? Yet, parents will gladly pay more and more without objecting. Doesn't paying $2000 for a math class at college, does that seem unreasonable to anyone?
mr. neptune
For some reason, I am thinking of the other end of all this: Why are there so many (or are there so many) poor smart kids? If couples would stop having kids they can't afford, this problem would just go away, just as poverty in general would be less severe. As for high college costs, isn't the reason for such high price just pure greed on the part of the universities? Yet, parents will gladly pay more and more without objecting. Doesn't paying $2000 for a math class at college, does that seem unreasonable to anyone?

I think it is the law of averages. There are lots of poor people and way less rich people so there is going to be more smart kids that are poor than are rich. Any smart kid regardless of socioeconomic background has a healthy chance of a fail at a young age (teen pregnancy, etc.) and because the poor ones don't have wealth they won't be able to have their mistakes covered by their families. It would be a win/win if people stopped having kids they can't afford because less people/less competition and more opportunities for the smart poor kid.

The high cost seems to be pure greed. I highly doubt the math professor sees much of the $2000 paid for the class.
The entitled brats are apparently starting to add to the fun. One of the actors' kids said she doesn't care about college anyway, and her father is a Trump supporter who's been quoted before saying everyone should carry their own weight. Thrown in a secret abortion and a mistress, and you have a summation of the conservative ideal of the nuclear family right there.
kman

Several talk shows have made the point that for every one of these elite children who gamed the system to get in, some poor kid lost a chance for admission.

Also, on the face of it, how does someone get admitted on an athletic scholarship, then refuse to play the sport, yet remain at that university? Historically, many jocks would not have been qualified for admission for many of the universities had they not been able to play their sport. I have hard feelings about this because of what I saw at the uni I attended for one year before leaving for lack of funds. All my financial aid fell through, even loans, under the rules of the time (early 1980s). But the jocks got loads of freebies...

Odinette said, "In the future nobody will be able to rise out of poverty no matter how smart or hard working they are." I submit we're already dangerously close to that. Just look at the disparities in wealth and opportunity that already exist. Add to that the way many employers screw over even their best workers.

Neo feudalism. And the idiots keep falling for it.

kman

Neo feudalism. And the idiots keep falling for it.

America is headed toward fascism.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
craftyzits
America is headed toward fascism.

At a terrifying rate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login