Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My birth control failed!

Posted by twocents 
My birth control failed!
March 26, 2019
I saw on Reddit news section a few days back that apparently some womens' bodies break down the components of bc pills rendering them almost useless. If this is so, perhaps the statement 'my bc failed' has more merit than we originally thought. Is there no escaping this nightmare!

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Re: My birth control failed!
March 26, 2019
I knew a woman with three kids, only one of them planned-- her birth control failed with the second and the condom broke with the third (and I knew her well enough to believe her on both). I'm glad Mr. kittehpeoples is snipped.
March 26, 2019
There's a solution to BC failure. It's called abortion.
March 26, 2019
Yanno, I'm inclined to believe a CF person who says her birth control failed over a Breeder any day of the week.

Over 60 years on Earth and hearing many peoples' stories have shown me that many people who claim "birth control failure" are playing it fast and loose with the facts and they really mean Operator Error.

I once worked with a woman with four kids who claimed every method of BC she ever tried failed. She got pregnant on condoms with #1. (not all that hard to do if the man isn't paying attention, doesn't apply them correctly, etc.) She said she got pregnant on the Pill with #2, but then volunteered that they "made her sick" and she threw them out her car window one day....um, if you don't take the entire 21 day pack, yes, you might end up pregnant. She said she did get pregnant on the IUD, well that's a legit birth control failure, unless you exceeded the recommended life of the IUD. Then she got pregnant on the diaphragm. I personally used a diaphragm for many years, and it has something like a 12% failure rate, which is more likely to happen if you do not follow the directions. It must be used with spermicide, and if you have sex multiple times (oh, to be young again!) you have to apply more spermicide. And you are not supposed to take it out too soon. During estimated fertile times in my cycle, I had my long-term partner use a condom.

I've also heard people say, "I was using birth control, but we got a little crazy one night (and didn't use it.)" Um, you have to use it each and every time. And then there is my un-favorite general statement, often made by Breeders, "Well, we aren't trying, but we aren't trying to prevent it either." Sexual education the world 'fail' on flames Where is the logic there? If you have your parts and are not sterilized and you have sex without birth control, you are trying to have a baby. (I've found this is sometimes used by females to coax reluctant males into fatherhood. "Whatever will be will be" and all that happy horseshit, which I cannot even fathom.)

I left nothing to chance. I liked sex as much as the next person, but the entire time I was fertile, prior to my sterilization, do you know how many Pills I missed? ZERO. I NEVER MISSED A PILL. I was never too "carried away" when I had sex without my diaphragm. I did NOT want to be pregnant and I acted accordingly.

note: I did learn on CF websites that antibiotics and other medications can interfere with the Pill. Thankfully this information is more commonly known than it used to be.

I'm not saying accidents don't happen--I'm saying that people who are not opposed to children tend to be more cavalier about birth control than a militant CFer. And the Reddit thread sounds like bullcrap--hormones are hormones and I'd like to see the science behind a woman's body neutralizing hormones when it doesn't work like that. Some women are what they call spontaneous ovulators--they can ovulate on orgasm, but that's pretty rare and most Pills have a secondary effect of making the uterus hostile to implantation of those eggs anyway.
March 26, 2019
Many people seem to have the bizarre idea that they can no longer choose abortion after they have already sprogged. They think they have to keep the unwanted second, third, or fourth loaf. I will never understand this so-called logic.
March 26, 2019
But that makes me wonder, if a woman's body breaks down parts of birth control pills that make them effective, wouldn't that mean her body also breaks down the hormones she makes naturally? If that were the case, she'd probably have fertility problems. Like what separates BC pills from homemade sex hormones that makes the body react in that way sometimes? I'm just kind of thinking out loud right now.

Birth control failures are still about 95-98% human error. People are dumb and don't know how to use it properly, whether it's hormonal or barrier methods. For the longest time, I was too scared to rely on the pill for contraception because I'd heard so many stories about women getting knocked up on it in spite of the 1% failure rate. But then I started paying closer attention to the details in these stories and noticed a common theme: almost every single one of these women didn't take their pills consistently/correctly. They'd take it every other day, or once a week, but still expect it to work as if they took it every day. Yes, there were one or two in there who took it like they should (or so they said) and still got up the duff, but a vast majority didn't take it right. All I can say is there's a reason why birth control pills have two failure rates: "perfect use" and "typical use."

This, of course, doesn't take into account the women who were flushing their pills behind their husbands' backs in the hopes of a "happy accident" glue baby and calling it a birth control failure.

ETA:

bell_flower

note: I did learn on CF websites that antibiotics and other medications can interfere with the Pill. Thankfully this information is more commonly known than it used to be.

I don't know how true it is, but I recall seeing something disproving the thing about BC and antibiotics. It's not all antibiotics that interfere with the pill, but only one called rifampin, which is used to treat tuberculosis, leprosy and Legionnaire's disease. Most other ones don't seem to cause an issue, or at worst, sources might say something akin to, "Hey these might cause issues, we're not totally sure, so use condoms to be safe."
March 27, 2019
mumofsixbirds

Better solution: Get spayed and neutered like we do with our pets. But I know, it's not as easy for women to get that from "old gynes" as it is to send the dog or cat to the vet.
March 27, 2019
Most pro-choicers think that abortion is only for young unmarried women who made a mistake or if married then only if the sprog will be born disabled. I have often heard them say "Why abort a healthy child" the CF thing is impossible for them to understand
March 27, 2019
Cambion
Birth control failures are still about 95-98% human error. People are dumb and don't know how to use it properly, whether it's hormonal or barrier methods. For the longest time, I was too scared to rely on the pill for contraception because I'd heard so many stories about women getting knocked up on it in spite of the 1% failure rate. But then I started paying closer attention to the details in these stories and noticed a common theme: almost every single one of these women didn't take their pills consistently/correctly. They'd take it every other day, or once a week, but still expect it to work as if they took it every day. Yes, there were one or two in there who took it like they should (or so they said) and still got up the duff, but a vast majority didn't take it right. All I can say is there's a reason why birth control pills have two failure rates: "perfect use" and "typical use."

This, of course, doesn't take into account the women who were flushing their pills behind their husbands' backs in the hopes of a "happy accident" glue baby and calling it a birth control failure.

A long time ago, I was assisting a friend in showing an apartment for rent while the current tenants were on their 60 day notice to depart.
On the back of the toilet tank was three birth control packages that were open and used.
These packages looked the the craziest game of Russian roulette of taken and not taken pills that you can imagine.
Why were the tenants leaving the two bedroom apartment?
They needed more space because the female was accidentally pregnant.
March 27, 2019
Cambion

Yep, almost every time it's user error. And I gotta say, viewing pregnancy as a completely unacceptable result was an excellent motivator for me when I was on the pill. And every time someone prescribed a medication for me, I would ask if it affected BC efficacy. I've read something semi-recently that fewer antibiotics mess with it than was previously thought, too. I personally always assumed that it would, and it was either condoms for backup, or skip PIV sex for a while.

From asking other female friends, I've determined that A. I'm more aggressive when it comes to asking doctors questions, and B. a lot of doctors don't think to tell their patients that the med will interfere with BC. I know one person who wound up pregnant because the doctor simply didn't tell her that the antibiotic would nix her BC, and she didn't ask. And no, it wasn't an oops.

I doubt there's any research out there, but I'm willing to bet that genuinely CF people have a better batting average when it comes to birth control use. Not perfect, of course. No one is. But as I said...we have a very high motivation to get it right!
March 28, 2019
randomcfchick
I doubt there's any research out there, but I'm willing to bet that genuinely CF people have a better batting average when it comes to birth control use. Not perfect, of course. No one is. But as I said...we have a very high motivation to get it right!

Oh there's no doubt in my mind that contraception magically works better for childfree people than it does for the non-childfree. Most likely has something to do with the fact that we REALLY REALLY do NOT want to be pregnant while the average person doesn't really care if they get knocked up or knock someone up... at least not until a "happy accident" happens, in which case it'll be an endless stream of "Hurr durrrr nobody told me that doing/not doing (thing) would make me/her pregnant!" But then, the average person's idea of birth control ranges from trying to pull out to remembering to use condoms once in a while during sexy times.
March 28, 2019
Cambion
randomcfchick

Oh there's no doubt in my mind that contraception magically works better for childfree people than it does for the non-childfree. Most likely has something to do with the fact that we REALLY REALLY do NOT want to be pregnant while the average person doesn't really care if they get knocked up or knock someone up... at least not until a "happy accident" happens, in which case it'll be an endless stream of "Hurr durrrr nobody told me that doing/not doing (thing) would make me/her pregnant!" But then, the average person's idea of birth control ranges from trying to pull out to remembering to use condoms once in a while during sexy times.

This would actually be an interesting longitudinal study, now that I think about it. You'd have to find a way to control for people changing their minds, of course. There'd also have to be several groups, because you'd have to group them by type(s) of birth control used, as well as CF vs. non-CF. It would have to run for at least a couple decades, but I'd LOVE to see the stats at the end of the study!
March 29, 2019
mumofsixbirds

Abortion is becoming illegal in America.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 29, 2019
craftyzits
mumofsixbirds

Abortion is becoming illegal in America.

I feel bad for everyone living there, then. It's still perfectly legal and free in Canada.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login