Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally more people thinking like us---College Scandal NYT

Posted by cfuter 
Finally more people thinking like us---College Scandal NYT
March 29, 2019
People Don’t Bribe College Officials to Help Their Kids. They Do It to Help Themselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/27/magazine/people-dont-bribe-college-officials-to-help-their-kids-they-do-it-to-help-themselves.html

"How important is it for a person like her to attend a fancy university, other than to satisfy her elders? “Mostly my parents wanted me to go because both of them didn’t go to college,” she told another YouTuber. You sense, in some of the stories to emerge from these fraud charges, an odd form of intergenerational class conflict, in which wealthy people who did not grow up pampered (Loughlin is the child of a telephone-company foreman) are now trying to impose middle-class values (a good education is important) on superrich kids who see little use for them. When The New York Post approached the Fifth Avenue home of a beverage magnate charged in the scandal, a son emerged to defend his parents while smoking an enormous blunt and plugging his rap album. Many kids compete for elite college slots in an attempt to gain access to a higher social class, but some of these parents are surely seeking the opposite effect — a degree that suggests their kids are not simply coasting on their inheritance while cultivating vanity careers. They are heaping money on their progeny in an attempt to correct for how rich they are."

"They had also helped convince the rest of us that their kids really were successful."
Re: Finally more people thinking like us---College Scandal NYT
March 29, 2019
They want society to see their kids as being super smart. It's an ego-boost for the parents, because they feel smarter by proxy. "Look my kid is going to an Ivy League College...see how smart it makes me, because s/he's a product of MY DNA?" I think it's all about puffed-up narcissism and ways to make them look like their kids aren't total spoiled brats coasting on their trust funds.

Sorry, but most people with half a brain can see right through their little scam.
Re: Finally more people thinking like us---College Scandal NYT
March 30, 2019
I believe it is called,

Living Vicariously Through Offspring(TM Pending)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login