Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Moo Jealous that Millenials are Choosing Pets over having baybees

Posted by fleur 
Do millennials opt for a ‘fur baby’ because they’re broke – or scared of responsibility?

Or perhaps they simply don't want kids? Perhaps they don't want the immense expense and who needs even more responsibility?

Dog walkers, though pricey, are a damn sight cheaper than nannies and nurseries. Sticking your pup in a kennel, while you swan off to a festival, destination wedding or occasionless weekend of debauchery, is far more socially acceptable than doing the same with a young child. Canines don’t exterminate your social life in the same way as mewling tykes tend to do, and, although I’ve never had a dog, I’m struggling to imagine that owning one causes quite the same level of cranium-cracking, body-battering, tear-inducing sleep deprivation that’s part and parcel of early parenthood.

New moo sounds very jealous throughout the article as she seems to call the CF/CL selfish and immature by mentioning "weekend of debauchery". Well, whats so wrong with enjoying a weekend instead of chasing brats? I'm not into dogs much but I have a few cats and their much more pleasant company than a toddler. Besides I'v had plenty of responsibility in my life - finances, school- I don't need a kyd for that. No one does.
Re: New Moo Jealous that Millenials are Choosing Pets over having baybees
April 19, 2019
Better a millennial (or any person) buy a pet if they're broke than squeeze one or more out and expect the government to provide benefits for the kids they can't afford. Also sensing some serious jealousy in the tone of this article. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the author is a millennial and single moo.

And of course, the only way to be a responsible person is to squeeze one out and become miserable and whine incessantly about it.

I'm going to go THERE. I've known quite a few people with pets who spends two or more hours a day of quality time with their pets and that is more quality time than the average parent gives their kid. So, maybe the millennials and others with pets have a better sense of what they can handle realistically, what they can afford and how much free time they have to share. This article sites 104 minutes for moos and 54 for duhs and it states care time, not quality time: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2017/11/27/parents-now-spend-twice-as-much-time-with-their-children-as-50-years-ago. I spent more time with my kitty than this, close to 45 minutes a day for care and up to two hours a day playing and giving her attention (depending on what she wanted to do).

From the author
"The development sheds an unflattering light on the demographic struggles of today’s twentysomethings – and their understandable (and responsible) reluctance to bring a child into the world if they can’t get a foot on the property ladder or find stable work in an uncertain economy. It underscores that the current child-bearing generation – accustomed to easy, breezy global travel, unconditional independence and relationships that are created and killed on an app – is scared of lifelong responsibility."

First off, millennials are just as liable to be in their 30's as their 20's at this point but I guess it just isn't click bait worthy to make fun of a 34 year old as it is to bully twenty-somethings. Secondly, these two statements contradict each other. Unstable work doesn't lend itself to global travel and unconditional independence. It means living in a dump likely with roommates, working more than one job and owning a burner phone. Perhaps missing meals. But global travel, time to date and independence don't mix with wage slavery and working all the time.

Who in the hell (besides a retired or financially secure person) can have global travel and unconditional independence?

Love this comment:
"There is nothing intrinsically noble about having children."

Bravo!
It never occurs to some people that childfree aren't afraid of responsibility...they just take a pass on parental responsibility in particular. That's me to a T.
It's a smug article that makes moo look jealous that she made the choice to sluice, and not opt for the much better choice of caring for a pet.

I forgot to mention that my husband was listening to the local radio station the other day, and they were interviewing a moo who was bitching and backpedaling about having a kid. At the very end, she tells the interviewer that "There's nothing like hearing I love you Mommy" and that erases any resentment she's had about her own decision to have a kid.

My husband told me he thought that was funny, because I have a parrot that says, "I love you Mommy" every day. He flies up to my shoulder, kisses my cheek and says it.

ETA: One other thing that's interesting about Conner is I never taught him to say that. I used to say to him, "I love you, Conner" but I would refer to myself as Mommy. "Okay, Mommy's going to clean your cage now," etc. One day, he put two and two together, and now he says it regularly. I have to admit though, I think it's some kind of manipulation from the little bugger, but it still makes me smile.
Bitter Moo, party of one, your table is ready:

It underscores that the current child-bearing generation – accustomed to easy, breezy global travel, unconditional independence and relationships that are created and killed on an app – is scared of lifelong responsibility. Whether or not to reproduce is probably the most personal decision you will ever make. But nothing can substitute for that. So don’t pretend that a canine companion is the same thing.

What random said about responsibility. The responsible people at work are the ones who aren't using their kids as an excuse to bail.

Procreation is allowing an extension of your own body to face the world alone in all its innocent vulnerability.

Um, what does that even mean? Someone is taking herself and her procreation VERY seriously. She didn't get the memo that 50% of all pregnancies are reported to be "oopsies."

< additional self-important, self-congratulatory drivel snipped >

Government data published this week shows that, for the first time since the ONS began collecting data, more women are getting pregnant in their 30s than in their 20s.

So let me get this straight... Moo's beef is not that people are foregoing having childrun, just delaying it? Why would she care? (Unless, it's as we expect that she's consumed with bitterness watching her unencumbered peers.) I suppose, as a taxpayer, hearing people are at least waiting isn't bad news. Does anybody really think a teenager or an early 20-something person can raise a kid? People who delay it are more likely to support their womb products without financial assistance.

The Guardian can do better. Yeah, it's just a poorly-written, sour grape manifesto that should be in the Daily Fail.
If the author thinks pets don't come with a financial and ethical commitment, I hope she never gets one.

I echo what you're all saying here-- we do take on responsibility, despite the fact that we weren't irresponsible enough to breed. Breeders have such a fucked up view of us, but maybe that's part of the point; they've screwed their own lives up so badly, and are cognizant enough to know that it was the kids that were the mistake, that they automatically assume not having children means a life free of the burdens they've chosen for themselves.

But as we've noted here so many times, god forbid they admit it. Just keep repeating "it's all worth it" and maybe someday you'll believe it....
kittehpeoples
If the author thinks pets don't come with a financial and ethical commitment, I hope she never gets one.

I echo what you're all saying here-- we do take on responsibility, despite the fact that we weren't irresponsible enough to breed. Breeders have such a fucked up view of us, but maybe that's part of the point; they've screwed their own lives up so badly, and are cognizant enough to know that it was the kids that were the mistake, that they automatically assume not having children means a life free of the burdens they've chosen for themselves.

But as we've noted here so many times, god forbid they admit it. Just keep repeating "it's all worth it" and maybe someday you'll believe it....

Very good points. I have to take my pets to an avian vet, which is more expensive than a regular vet. Both of my birds are about due for their well-bird exams, and they need regular nail trims, etc. I also give them vitamins for their water that can be expensive. It's certainly not cheap to have any sort of pet, and anyone who can't spend the time or money looking after one, shouldn't obviously have one.

It's still a damn sight less expensive than raising brats, though.

The fact that breeders are usually sloppily irresponsible with their reproductive organs, they have no right to tell others who have considered the financial and emotional burden of kids to be too much, that they should just throw caution to the wind and go ahead and breed. It's along the lines of "God will provide", but the ones providing are inevitably the taxpayers.
Why would a new mom even have the time to concern herself with this subject? Shouldn't she be ooh'ing and ahh'ing over her new bundle? Methinks it reeks of jealousy & breeder's remorse. It always strikes me as weird when someone with a family is bitching about how other people choose to structure theirs. How is my decision not to reproduce affecting her in any way whatsoever?

Oh yeah, it's inducing mad jealousy. lolz.
I wonder if Moos realize they may have contributed to the decreasing number of younger people who want kids. After all, look how many anonymous Moos go online and bitch endlessly about how much they hate their kids, how hard it is, how their sex lives/marriages/appearances/finances suffer, and how they would have never had them if they knew then what they know now. It's not hard to find stories online from parents who are full of regret about reproducing and even the most brain-dead millennial can see that it's not a worthwhile thing to do in life.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to take on certain responsibilities. I know breeders will use it as a way to take a cheap shot and accuse someone of being immature and not a real adult if they don't breed, but having the responsibility of kids doesn't instantly make someone responsible. There are plenty of parents out there who never outgrew their immature high school attitude or their partying college lifestyles and the presence of a dependent doesn't just magically morph them into mature adults while they get blackout drunk in the living room every other night.

And yes, finances do play a role for millennials regarding all major life decisions, not just breeding. Because most people in their 20s and 30s are up to their necks in college debt, they can't afford to do shit like breed, buy houses, buy new cars or travel. They understand their financial limitations and don't just go do whatever the hell they want anyway like most parents do.

Also, anyone who has ever owned and given a damn about a pet knows they come with costs and commitments. Breeders likely provide less than the bare minimum for their pets because they see them as nothing more than interactive toys, but pets absolutely require a level of care and commitment, and sometimes can get expensive. And unlike brats, you can't get free government money just for having pets. You want a pet, you pay for it all out of pocket. No food stamps and Medicaid and tard checks for pets.

Millennials have likely also figured out that pets are actually worthwhile companions and bring genuine happiness, not to mention far more affordable in comparison to brats. This Moo just sounds bitter that people aren't validating her choice to breed by breeding, and are even having the gall to compare pet ownership to spawning in any way.

Dumbass
Procreation is allowing an extension of your own body to face the world alone in all its innocent vulnerability. It’s bearing full, unconditional responsibility for a person’s basic survival, but also their physical and emotional wellbeing at all levels, around the clock, for at least the next two decades.

Most of those apply to pets if you aren't a shitty owner. Maybe you can't push a dog or cat out of one of your orifices, but pets are innocently vulnerable. A pet owner bears full, unconditional responsibility for the pet's basic survival as well as their physical and emotional wellbeing, sometimes for up to at least two decades (but often sadly less). Also, why the fuck does she or any other parent even given a shit? Someone else having a pet and/or not having kids in no way impacts them, their lives or their kids.
Cambion
A pet owner bears full, unconditional responsibility for the pet's basic survival as well as their physical and emotional wellbeing, sometimes for up to at least two decades (but often sadly less).

In that respect, we take on a heavier responsibility and burden than any parent-- we know that we are likely to outlive our pets. For anyone who can truly love an animal, that is a pain that any parent who's lost a kid will tell you is the worst in the world...but they don't have to expect it. We do.

Cambion
Also, why the fuck does she or any other parent even given a shit? Someone else having a pet and/or not having kids in no way impacts them, their lives or their kids.

They see that our grass is greener and they hate us for it, because that's easier than admitting they wish their kids had never been born.
Re: New Moo Jealous that Millenials are Choosing Pets over having baybees
April 23, 2019
mumofsixbirds
ETA: One other thing that's interesting about Conner is I never taught him to say that. I used to say to him, "I love you, Conner" but I would refer to myself as Mommy. "Okay, Mommy's going to clean your cage now," etc. One day, he put two and two together, and now he says it regularly. I have to admit though, I think it's some kind of manipulation from the little bugger, but it still makes me smile.

This is really cute! Smart Conner!
freya
mumofsixbirds

That. Is. ADORABLE.

I had a rat who would give me kisses without being taught, and I would just melt; I can't imagine if he could have actually said the words. He'd have run the household.
My cats had me trained, especially my female one. She loved being held and at some point, she would stand up on her hind legs if I bent down in front of her so I could pick her up more easily and then she'd have me hold her in one arm draped over my shoulder and I do whatever I need to do with my other hand. I got very good at doing things like cooking and cleaning one-handed.

Another one of my cats drooled like a faucet when he was happy and he would proceed to rub his slobbery face all over my face because he was happy and wanted cuddles. My third cat had a purr that was so loud that it could be heard in another room and he would purr if I so much as looked at him. He'd also often wait for me at the top of the stairs to come home every day.

I wouldn't put up with that shit if a kid drooled all over me, wanted to be held constantly and needed to be right in my face the second I came through the door, but goddamn it if I didn't melt when my cats did those things. Yeah gee, I wonder why people prefer pets to kids.
Pets really are adorable. Sprogs are annoying and gross.
Fuck this bitch. I’m a CF millennial that has chosen an adorable Doberman over some ugly brat. I’m not avoiding responsibility. I moved out when I was 19 and since then have had the same financial responsibilities of any other adult. There have been times in my life when I’ve worked two jobs to pay my bills. That’s what adults do. Even before I moved out at 19 or started working at 18, I had domestic responsibilities. My sister and I cleaned the house and helped watch our nieces because our then-30 year old SIL cares more about drugs and partying than she cared about raising her kids.

On my days off, yes days off, not weekends, because at some jobs weekends off are reserved for supervisors, I stay home with the dog. Maybe once a week I’ll visit family out of town, but when I do, I don’t lock my dog in a kennel. She has a dog door and free range of the house. I also take exception to the idea that “pet ownership,” and “responsibility,” are mutually exclusive things. Pet ownership is responsibility. It’s feeding, bathing, paying for, and living an animal. It’s providing veterinary care for an animal even if money is tight. And it’s a damn sight better than having brats. My dog has a utilitarian value. On top of the fact that she loves me immeasurably, as all dogs love their people, she warns me when people are outside and is good protection.

I don’t go out for weekends of debauchery, whatever that means. I’m a social drinker only, I don’t do recreational drugs {aspirin and cold medicine are all I take}, and I don’t smoke cigarettes. How am I being debouching? Also ETA: I’m not judging people that smoke cigarettes {I don’t because I don’t care for them} and I’m not judging people that drink more than socially {again, I just don’t because I don’t have cravings for alcohol very often}.

I didn’t opt out of parenthood because I hate responsibility. I opted out of parenthood because I realized one day that parenthood is a CHOICE, a choice I didn’t have to make. I opted out of parenthood because the world is grossly overpopulated and I don’t want to add to that. I opted out of parenthood because I hate kids and I don’t think it’s fair to subject kids to a life of being unloved for the sake of getting moos like this cow to stop nagging me to have kids.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
kittehpeoples
freya
mumofsixbirds

That. Is. ADORABLE.

I had a rat who would give me kisses without being taught, and I would just melt; I can't imagine if he could have actually said the words. He'd have run the household.

Aww, that's so cute! I remember my neighbors in my old apartment building had a pet rat. He would take my finger between his teeth (very gently), drag my hand into his cage and want me to scritch him. He was really smart and affectionate.

The trouble is that the birds do run the household, lol. Sometimes when I clean their cages in the morning, I'll say, "Housekeeping!" They're a lot of fun, but they can be a lot of work, too.

Procreation is allowing an extension of your own body to face the world alone in all its innocent vulnerability.

Um, what does that even mean? Someone is taking herself and her procreation VERY seriously. She didn't get the memo that 50% of all pregnancies are reported to be "oopsies."

< additional self-important, self-congratulatory drivel snipped >

It means that the parent is (probably after the fact, because when do any of them ever think beforehand) cognizant of tossing another sentient being into the world, but thinks its great and cute to treat them like a trophy and an extension of themselves and soooo worth it for everyone involved, aren't they the hottest shit since sliced bread for doing so?? Makes me fucking sick to think about...

benevolent Anti-natalist, pro-abortion, pro-smut, anti-sleeze, eat the rich, fuck childbirth. pro-black, lgbtqia? Cool. *thumbs up*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login