Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bawing in Rhode Island about "shaming children" who owe lunch money and making them eat jelly sandwiches

Posted by Cambion 
Cold sandwiches are torture now? Funny how I don't look back at my childhood of endless sandwiches for lunch as the worst part of my life. As an adult, not expecting a warm lunch helps me control my diet and budget, because I'm okay with a salad for lunch that I bring from home.
freya
Perhaps the district could go one further and give each lil' debtor a credit type card (with the socially acceptable of no credit limit so as not to discriminate) to use for their lunches. Perhaps they could hang up a plaque in the cafeteria which reads "there is such thing as a free lunch" to try to convince the lil' debtors that the funding for this program operates from an vortex in outer space.

Only if the paying kids could have cards too, because then everyone would know which kids are the poor delinquents by their cards and that's child/income shaming. Give everyone a food credit card so there are no hurty fee-fees! eye rolling smiley

Good lord I had plenty of sandwiches for lunch as a kid and I never complained. Know why? By the time lunch rolled around, I was hungry and would have eaten a pinecone if it had peanut butter on it. I was just glad to shut my stomach up. Hunger is a wonderful spice and if a kid is hungry enough, they'll eat the fucking sandwich and be happy about it. Hot meals aren't a requirement for nutrition or satisfaction and I don't know why parents think they are. There's nothing wrong with salads, subs, sandwiches, cereal or any other cold meal at any time of the day.
I've wondered the same thing about hot meals. Sandwiches are fine. I ate tons of them for the same reasons Cambion mentioned. I was hungry enough to eat a tree with salt and pepper by the time lunch rolled around. I also started packing my own lunch by about second or third grade. Usually sandwich, piece of fruit or cut veggies, small treat. Drink was either milk or juice purchased at the school. No kids teased each other about who got hot food vs. sandwiches.
So much for kids being so innocent. Why is it, then, that kids will pick on other kids for eating the 'poor person lunch', if they're entirely innocent little darlings? Breeders can't have it both ways.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login