Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"single moms spend less time on housework and more time on leisure and sleeping"

Posted by lurker-derp 
So I'm perusing my usual online haunts when I come across this utter gem of schlocky writing.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/05/single-moms-fewer-chores-free-time-married.html

According to a recent study - of 23,000 married, separated, divorced, widowed or "otherwise unpartnered" women living with a kid under 13 - single mums spend less time on housework and more time on leisure or sleeping.

Cue a bunch of self-confessed laziness and misandric bitching with such fabulous quotes as:-

Divorce, as it turns out, can bring freedom not only from a broken relationship but from the day-to-day grind that is the performance of motherdom. There is no need to be seen as constantly cooking, bathing, doing laundry, and cleaning up when no one is watching.

There’s also less need to spend a bunch of time nagging—not the kids, but their dad.

Yeah, because all grown men are just useless fops and having one is just like having another kid to look after... eye rolling smiley

Single mothers, on the other hand, have no need or even opportunity to “perform gender” by demonstrating obeisance to centuries-old conceit that good mothers prioritize everyone else but themselves. There’s not much point in putting on a play if there’s no audience.

Translation: Why bother cleaning and doing laundry when it's just me and my kids wallowing in filth?

Single mothers are far more likely to be poor, underemployed, and nonwhite. Many left relationships with men who no longer contribute financially to the children.

But even these women spent less time on household chores and more time sleeping and playing than their married counterparts. This is explained in part by the fact that many single mothers live with a parent, relative, or other adult.

So, you are still relying on someone else to help you? Just because it's not a husband or partner, doesn't mean you're doing it all by yourself.

Jesus H Christ, no wonder single mums are stereotyped as (and I quote from the opening of the article) " harried, lonely, and miserable, too burdened by solitary drudgery to have much of a life." Living in a filthy hovel with a gaggle of brats who you foist onto other people is apparently SO much better than having a life partner who will love you for you, and not just for survival reasons like kids do.
Eww....I constantly clean (probably averages to an hour each day and I don't let messes sit), bath every day, cook several times a week and do laundry when I have loads. And I live alone so that means no audience. If I were having company during a weeknight I could make my bed, stow away any laundry hanging to dry and straighten up a bit in less than 30 minutes. Seriously, no cleaning or bathing unless someone else is there is just a slob. And I guess that despite it being TMIJITW brats don't count as a audience.

I care about the condition of my home, my body, etc. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I guess personal standards go by the wayside for this author.
Sure, they like to act like they're so bizzy and life is so haaaaaaard that they just don't have time to clean up their hovels. In usual Moo fashion, they'll blame their kids for everything. Can't clean up those dog turds that have been on the floor for four years because Tardley is so hard to look after and Mommy is so tired! Even if the kids are in school all day long, somehow Mommy is still so tiiiiiiired and can't do anything. I'm sure they'll blame PPD too for good measure, because what kind of a meanie-head would demand a poor tired mommy get off her ass and do anything if she's depressed?

I think they know they can get away with being lazy and blame it on their brats, so they just go ahead and do that. Mommy can't clean, cook, bathe, do laundry, or anything else because baybee. Single mothers, especially. They can say they're doing the work of two parents, so they just don't have the time or energy to clean and don't you dare fucking judge them for having dishes in the sink for eight months or not having bathed for two weeks either!

I can cut them some slack when the bratlings are very young and very helpless/dependent. Because when you spend a good chunk of every day wiping shit, cleaning puke, trying to feed a flailing loaf and making it shut the fuck up for 15 seconds, the last thing you want to do is clean or cook. I can understand that. But when the kids are school-aged, there's no excuse for living in a dump, especially since the kids can be taught how to do simple things like picking up their own toys or folding towels. As they get older, they can help with more stuff like washing dishes and even cooking. I might have just been a weird kid, but I liked dusting and trying to fold the bath towels as perfect as possible. But we know they won't do that because apparently chores are akin to child abuse now.
I'm going through some shit atm so my energy is not even able to be registered. I look like a hoarder but, it ain't trash and there is no way in Hell I'm going without a shower. There is no excuse to live in filth and should be even more important if you are a single mawm. You are showing your spawn that it's ok to not care about anything unless you're showing off for someone. What a lovely lesson to teach your kids.

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
freya
Eww....I constantly clean (probably averages to an hour each day and I don't let messes sit), bath every day, cook several times a week and do laundry when I have loads. And I live alone so that means no audience. If I were having company during a weeknight I could make my bed, stow away any laundry hanging to dry and straighten up a bit in less than 30 minutes. Seriously, no cleaning or bathing unless someone else is there is just a slob. And I guess that despite it being TMIJITW brats don't count as a audience.

I care about the condition of my home, my body, etc. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I guess personal standards go by the wayside for this author.

I'm not a hyper-cleaner, but then pain dictates what I do every day.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
They forgot to mention one thing that single mothers do very well. They flood every single dating site and indicate in their profiles, directly or otherwise, that men with kids “need not apply” They are also very vigilant about calling out any man out there who tries to demand the same. They go bananas if a CF man states that single moms are not of his interest. You see, single mums are busy, just not with housework.

I never could really comprehend why moos don’t want to date duhs. Aren’t mixed families the way of the future?
Techie
They forgot to mention one thing that single mothers do very well. They flood every single dating site and indicate in their profiles, directly or otherwise, that men with kids “need not apply” They are also very vigilant about calling out any man out there who tries to demand the same. They go bananas if a CF man states that single moms are not of his interest. You see, single mums are busy, just not with housework.

I never could really comprehend why moos don’t want to date duhs. Aren’t mixed families the way of the future?

I wonder that too! You know the guy knows how to deal with kids (most likely) if he has his own, and it also means there's a chance he might want more because that's how breeders are. Wouldn't you want to date someone who has been there and done that? Like why hire the newb who doesn't know dick about the job and has to be trained when you can have someone with experience?

That would make sense, but I know why single parents don't date other single parents: they don't want to raise someone else's brats, and at the same time, they don't want their significant other to dote on any other children besides theirs. A single Duh won't put a single Moo's kids first because his own kids will be first and Moo doesn't want that - she fully expects him to make his kids behind-the-couchers so he can love only her kids, and if he doesn't, she'll treat his kids like crap for daring to take his attention away from her own kids, which is why there are so many stepmother horror stories. And a single Moo sure as FUCK doesn't want to raise some other bitch's brats, so there's that.

Nope, single Moos go after childfree men because they know these guys are likely to have good careers, tons of money, and no baby momma drama or pesky brats of his own (not to mention usually better looking because they don't have kids stressing them out and aging them another 15 years). They figure he can give all his money, time, effort, and affection to Moo and her brat and she can oops him for good measure. They completely disregard single fathers all because they don't want to deal with his fucktrophies from another woman.

This is why they stay single mothers: they aren't willing to compromise. Single duhs go after CF women for the same reason, but I do think between single mothers and single fathers, single dads are more open to compromise while single Moos think they're such hot shit that they get to be picky about who they date. They might find a guy who adores her kids and is willing to work so she can be a SAHM, but she'll reject him because he's got a kid of his own or he doesn't make enough money.

I might get it if the average single Moo actually had some kind of redeeming quality, but a good chunk of them are uglier than sin inside, outside, or both. Obviously there are exceptions and those are the PNBs, but most of them are breeders who consider themselves living embodiments of goddesses.
Techie

I like that they do this. Men can read it and know to stay away! The profiles that made me want to stay away were my favorites because in less than five minutes I was able to make this determination. Way better than being on a date and finding out about an incompatibility. Better yet to avoid online dating altogether. I'm sure there are some decent folks who online date but the juice may not be worth the squeeze.
Cambion
Nope, single Moos go after childfree men because they know these guys are likely to have good careers, tons of money, and no baby momma drama or pesky brats of his own (not to mention usually better looking because they don't have kids stressing them out and aging them another 15 years). They figure he can give all his money, time, effort, and affection to Moo and her brat and she can oops him for good measure. They completely disregard single fathers all because they don't want to deal with his fucktrophies from another woman.

This is why they stay single mothers: they aren't willing to compromise. Single duhs go after CF women for the same reason, but I do think between single mothers and single fathers, single dads are more open to compromise while single Moos think they're such hot shit that they get to be picky about who they date. They might find a guy who adores her kids and is willing to work so she can be a SAHM, but she'll reject him because he's got a kid of his own or he doesn't make enough money.

I might get it if the average single Moo actually had some kind of redeeming quality, but a good chunk of them are uglier than sin inside, outside, or both. Obviously there are exceptions and those are the PNBs, but most of them are breeders who consider themselves living embodiments of goddesses.

This is exactly it. They may get away with it if the men are younger, bubble-wrapped, socially inadequate, incredibly naive and don't understand the way it works. Older men, no way and no how. Most have likely had at least one run-in with a single mahm or a woman who tried to take advantage of them in the past.
I'm a pretty neat and organized person, so I spend a lot of time keeping the house clean. It's only my husband and I, but the birds can create a lot of mess, so I find I have to constantly sweep, clean, etc.

I pace myself, and take breaks when necessary. Sometimes I'll go lie down for an hour and watch TV before I start dinner.

I'm also looking into doing some deeper-cleaning projects now that my husband is retired. I need help with a few things that I can't do physically on my own. I'm going to take down all the curtains and wash them next week. I need my husband's help to take them off the rods, because I'm too short and I get dizzy when I stand on a stepladder.

He's also planning on building me a new linen closet, and I'll be organizing and putting the linens into labeled totes. I have everything piled into my bedroom closet right now, because there's no real linen closet in here.

I couldn't imagine cleaning LESS when there are brats about. They are pretty messy, and if anything, it should prompt parents to clean up more. I hate to think of all the germs and filth that could make people sick from not doing regular cleaning. Yuck.

Also, I'm disturbed how they include bathing as a chore. It's funny how the author finds single moohood 'delicious'. I would think that raising a kid or two alone would be pretty awful, not to mention living in your own filth. I couldn't think of anything less delicious. Ewww.
I think it's just like anything else: if you're around it long enough, you get used to it. Breeders slack in every aspect of life because baybee, and after a while, they just grow accustomed to the filth, odors, and poor hygiene and it no longer becomes a priority or a concern. And nobody will tell them what disgusting slobs they are because they don't want to offend them or incur the seldom-warranted Mama Bear RageTM, so we all get the pleasure of smelling sweaty armpits, shit diapers, puke, trash, spoiled milk, urine, and dog knows what else these people have been marinating in inside the stank chamber they call a home. I think they just figure there's no sense cleaning or doing laundry or anything because it's just gonna get dirty again anyway, so they resign themselves to living in a pigsty.

I'm not exactly a neat freak, but I do like things to be orderly and tidied up. Don't like dishes piled up two feet in the sink with days' worth of food caked on them or crap all over the floor (that's about how college was) and kids are like little whirlwinds, which is one of many reasons I don't want them. I don't feel like spending every second cleaning up after a fucking kid, whether it's toys or bodily fluids or clothes.

I'm not saying it's easy to balance normal home life and brat wrangling, but these people don't even try. It's like WELP I did my duty as an incubator, time to retire from all my responsibilities! I'm sure nobody gives a shit if a breeder hovel is a little messy, but sometimes you get full-fledged health hazards from the squalor they let themselves live in.
I admit that my housekeeping leaves plenty to be desired, but I live in pain each and every day.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login