Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lawnmowers and children don't mix parunts

Posted by freya 
Lawnmowers and children don't mix parunts
May 29, 2019
Because a parent enforcing a boundary and insisting their kids stay out of the yard when they are mowing is too much work. Better to let their children lose limbs than to parent. The responsibility is being pushed on the manufacturers to build safety features into lawn mowers.

Lots of disturbing pictures of hurt children, all of which were 100% avoidable:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lawn-mower-accidents-are-maiming-children-simple-fix-might-have-n1010761?icid=recommended

Instead of being so fancy shmancy and demanding expensive features what about a few strategically placed mirrors on the lawnmower or a cheaper solution?
Re: Lawnmowers and children don't mix parunts
May 29, 2019
That entire article is such a load of bullshit. If you back over someone with a car, it's not the manufacturer's fault...why should it be different if it's a mower? Just another example of parents wanting to be completely exonerated for fucking up their kids. It's the operator of the mower who's overriding the safety shut off, it's the operator who is (apparently) not looking behind them when they go into reverse...how in the hell is that John Deere's responsibility?

Ugh.
May 29, 2019
I fail to see what any extra safety features will do if parents won’t teach their kids to stay in the house while the lawn is being mowed. All this is is breeders trying to find anything that prevents them from having to take 100% responsibility for maiming their own children because they don’t want to take the time to teach their children basic safety and for them to be aware of their surroundings.

The only feature that might prevent these accidents is one where the mower shuts off anytime something moves in front or behind it, but you know the dumbasses that were clamoring for extra safety features will find an override, which renders the whole thing null and void.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
May 30, 2019
Back in the day parents would tell a kid to get the hell out anywhere dangerous and stay the hell out and we would all run. You knew they meant it and we ran off and forgot about it. Today this would mean a trip to the psychologist to deal with the fact that someone yelled at them.
May 30, 2019
Because it's always someone ELSE'S fault when someone's kid gets killed by the negligence of their parents. They shouldn't HAVE to look where they're going or tell their kids to go inside while the lawn's being mowed.

WTF is our world coming to?
May 30, 2019
paragon schnitzophonic
The only feature that might prevent these accidents is one where the mower shuts off anytime something moves in front or behind it, but you know the dumbasses that were clamoring for extra safety features will find an override, which renders the whole thing null and void.

FIND an override? The overrides are built in. They talk about that in the article. Mower manufacturers started adding a safety feature where the mower stops mowing in reverse, BUT they also included an override in case the owner wants to bypass the safety feature. So the way I read the article, every one of these brain trusts who ran over their own kids had chosen to override the safety that would have at least kept the kids from getting chopped up when they ran them down. And then people claim it isn't the operator's fault...sorry, if you override the safety and then do exactly the thing the safety was supposed to prevent, it's 100% your fault. I hope they do feel guilty, because they should.
May 31, 2019
Is this really a thing now? I remember knowing enough to stay away from a running lawnmower because of the whole maiming/killing thing.

Are kids getting stupider?
May 31, 2019
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-sues-tesla-claiming-suv-173531731.html

Moo is going after Tesla cause her sprog got behind the wheel and the SUV pinned her to a wall. Totally her fault, but the bint is going after the car company because "it needs another safely feature"
May 31, 2019
I remember long time ago, listening to someone in a church talking about discipline of a child. and this involved the mother telling the damn toadler to stay in the house. mind you, I was childfree but was curious as to what was said. told kid to stay, walked out door. little shit come out. toadler put back in and reminded. toadler comes out again. this time, toadler got a spanking. I think toadler might have gotten a second 'whap' after that, but toadler stayed in the house. Mind you, the mother was only going out to shed to get something, or some whatever that would only take a few minutes. looks like she decided to teach a lesson.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
May 31, 2019
stillwaters
Is this really a thing now? I remember knowing enough to stay away from a running lawnmower because of the whole maiming/killing thing.

I don’t think kids are necessarily being born with weaker intellects nowadays. The problem is that now we live in a society where kids are expected be to allowed to do whatever they want, when they want, and trying to place limits on them is tantamount to child abuse. So they never learn stuff like “stay away from lawnmowers” until they interact with the business end of one.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
June 01, 2019
Interesting/infuriating information from the article:

One kid whose dad backed over her:

Last year, a jury found that the mower was defectively designed and awarded Isabelle $12.25 million, holding Deere 78 percent responsible for the damages. The jury put the rest of the blame on her father, who is serving a 17-year sentence in state prison after being convicted in 2011 of sexual abuse and sodomy in an unrelated case.

I'm sure this dude was a stellar parent. wide-eyed freak out Glad for the daughter this asshole is in jail, because you know he would have started on her. If the family is getting money, I hope it's being held in a trust fund for the kid and she gets the Hell away from both parents: her creepy dad and the Moo who thought this guy was suitable parent material.

Infuriating parental cop-out:

“We can’t lock our kids in kennels while we mow the lawn,” Jennifer Heim said. In 2015, her son Wyatt, then 4, lost a toe and suffered serious leg injuries when his grandfather backed over him with a riding mower in East Dubuque, Illinois. Heim said she had warned Wyatt about lawn mower safety many times. But it’s difficult to communicate the risks of amputation to a child.

That's right, Asshole, but YOU know about amputation so you should be watching your child. And why can't you lock them in the house and actually WATCH them and put your fucking cell phone down.
June 01, 2019
I'm wonder why the fuck the kid would want to be near a mower to begin with. Yeah, the parents are the ones responsible for its safety...all points about that have been well-made upthread. But when I was a really small kid, I was actually scared of the mower...noisy, smelly, scary...I didn't want to be nearby when Mom or Dad was mowing the lawn. Even when I got over that fear, I still was turned off by the smell and noise and thus laying down the law about safety was not difficult for my parents.
June 02, 2019
I was told to stay away because it is dangerous and any time I lingered I was threatened with more chores. Saying I was bored/whining had a similar outcome. I stayed away as far as possible after that because actions had consequences.
June 04, 2019
stillwaters

No. Parents are. When I was a toddler, I was not allowed out of the house while the lawn was being mowed. When I was older, I was told to stay away from the mower because it can fling out rocks and debris. I never got close enough to a running mower to RISK getting hit with the blades because before I was old enough to understand it could hurt me, I wasn't ALLOWED to get close.
June 04, 2019
bell_flower
Infuriating parental cop-out:

“We can’t lock our kids in kennels while we mow the lawn,” Jennifer Heim said. In 2015, her son Wyatt, then 4, lost a toe and suffered serious leg injuries when his grandfather backed over him with a riding mower in East Dubuque, Illinois. Heim said she had warned Wyatt about lawn mower safety many times. But it’s difficult to communicate the risks of amputation to a child.

That's right, Asshole, but YOU know about amputation so you should be watching your child. And why can't you lock them in the house and actually WATCH them and put your fucking cell phone down.

That's exactly right! Small children don't understand, and that's where ACTUAL PARENTING comes in. You wouldn't let your kid play around traffic, right (I hope)? So don't let them play around traffic that has spinning blades under it, ffs.
June 04, 2019
I always thought lawnmowers were loud and dangerous as a kid and so there was a big incentive to stay away from them. Not only that but the rotating blades can send rocks flying. And that only operator should be within six feet of it. Are kids really that dumb today? So much for the future.
June 11, 2019
It is not just the kids who are stupid about lawn mower safety, I have had multiple rounds on this issue with parents.
I have a small landscaping business for about 5 years.

My policy regarding kids under age 14 is that I want them minimum 15 feet away from any equipment, operating or not.
I prefer they not be on any outdoor property or even the adjacent property.
Parent frequently think I am being over-cautious, but I have seen bits of glass metal and stone shoot out at high speed at a distance up to 15 feet.
Also, kids keep poking at my dangerous powered and hand garden equipment.

Years ago, I was asked by a property management firm to clear (extensive basic clean-up) for a tenanted property.
I had to return to the same property 14 times trying to finish yard work but unable to do so due to constant unrestrained free-range children.
( Around the fifth attempt, I approached the property manager, but was told to persist to get the gardens done)
When I was finally done, I billed the property management company for all of my time and refused to ever return.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login