Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

36% are CF or fencesitters due to wanting more leisure time

Posted by yurble 
36% are CF or fencesitters due to wanting more leisure time
June 17, 2019
This is a fairly non-biased article simply stating the facts. It turns out people are cluing in to the fact that children take away your free time:

In a 2018 poll from Morning Consult for The New York Times of nearly 2,000 people ages 20 to 45, 36 percent of survey respondents who did not want children or were not sure about becoming parents said they wanted more leisure time. Thirty-four percent said they haven't found a partner to raise children with, and 31 percent can't afford childcare.
That means thousands of American women are turning their back on parenthood for reasons ranging from financial stability to lifestyle.

Link
Re: 36% are CF or fencesitters due to wanting more leisure time
June 17, 2019
Definitely a good side affect of not breeding.
Unsurprising. American work culture demands that we be available at any time at the drop of a hat beyond the usual 40 hours and work weekends and holidays and OT and even taking the paltry two-week vacation time we get (if you’re lucky enough that your job offers such a thing) is frowned upon. Then there are the usual adult responsibilities that take up time. Leisure time has become a precious luxury. Who wants that little bit of time then taken away to raise children?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
June 17, 2019
I want to cheer for this woman, she is 32 and has it figured out:

"Our lives are entirely customizable," Miller said. "Ultimately, no factor other than your own wants or needs should come into question."

I love that she can live in LA and work as a voice actress. This may not be possible if she had kids. Good for being happy!
June 18, 2019
paragon schnitzophonic
Unsurprising. American work culture demands that we be available at any time at the drop of a hat beyond the usual 40 hours and work weekends and holidays and OT and even taking the paltry two-week vacation time we get (if you’re lucky enough that your job offers such a thing) is frowned upon. Then there are the usual adult responsibilities that take up time. Leisure time has become a precious luxury. Who wants that little bit of time then taken away to raise children?

I know what the work culture is like in the US, so it would be interesting to find out what the reason is for people not wanting kids in Europe, where we have stronger worker protections. Because fertility rates are down here, too. I would not be surprised if a lot of people still said free time. With a more globalized world you can see what people's lives are like in many other places, and I think people here can see what their lives would be like with less free time.
June 18, 2019
The reason that pops into my head is the raw expense of brats. It takes a quarter million dollars to raise a brat in a cheap location on a Walmart budget childhood. That is if you are lucky to have a brat free of disabilities. Disabled brats go into the multiple of millions to raise and it is likely they will never be independent.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 18, 2019
yurble
paragon schnitzophonic

I know what the work culture is like in the US, so it would be interesting to find out what the reason is for people not wanting kids in Europe, where we have stronger worker protections. Because fertility rates are down here, too. I would not be surprised if a lot of people still said free time. With a more globalized world you can see what people's lives are like in many other places, and I think people here can see what their lives would be like with less free time.

This makes sense. I can't foresee any circumstances where having kids increases an adult's leisure time, universally speaking. And we see numerous articles where divorced parunts claim to have more free time than when they were married because around 50% of the time they aren't encumbered with kids.
June 18, 2019
This is probably one of the few times we can thank online oversharing. I know plenty of us figured out what a shit life it is to breed before doing it, but I think anyone who was on the fence about it just had to read a few accounts of anonymous mommies online bitching about how much they hate their lives and wish they never had kids. Like here ya go, first hand fucking experience about how much it isn't worth it, you don't gotta go out and learn it the hard way now!

I also like how they address one of the classic bingoes of "who will take care of you when you get old?" Well assuming people are around long enough to get old (because some of us die young), the exact same people will be taking care of the CFers that are caring for the parents: underpaid nursing home staff. The only difference is the CF old timer isn't gonna be staring out the window every day hoping their kids come see them.

There's no such thing as a life choice that suits everybody. Some people want to own a house, some don't. Some people want to become scuba instructors, some don't. Some want kids, some don't. It's only wrong to do if it's wrong for you. But unlike most choices, you can't really undo having kids, and I think a lot of people only figure out they don't want kids after they've had them, but by then it's too late. If you value spare time, having hobbies, being able to sleep in or do things spontaneously, kids aren't for you. And while spare time is generally free for the unchilded, it costs money for parents because if they want a few hours or a weekend alone, they have to pay someone to mind their brats.

I'm glad to see more people putting actual thought into breeding (and choosing to not do it), though there are still definitely way too many who think more about what socks they're going to wear than if they can handle a child (usually getting pregnant before thinking this far too).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login