Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"What Will We Tell Our Kids And Grandkids About Climate Change?"

Posted by yurble 
"What Will We Tell Our Kids And Grandkids About Climate Change?"
June 28, 2019
Link

I guess you could try some variation of: "We knew about climate change for decades but did nothing. We did whatever we wanted, regardless of the consequences. We wanted kids. Have fun living with the consequences of our selfishness!"

Naturally, this is not what the author proposes telling his grandchildren.

Meanwhile, Here's an article on climate chance anxiety among children. If you're worrying about how to tell your children about climate change, maybe you should have considered that issue before you had them?
Re: "What Will We Tell Our Kids And Grandkids About Climate Change?"
June 28, 2019
Reddit/Collapse is quite a thing to read with young people in a tizzy with their desire to have kids and the guilt over what the future will bring at the same time.
June 28, 2019
It's Huffpo, so I immediately assume the quality of the content is on par with slime you'd scrape out of a dumpster.

When it comes to climate change, breeders fall into two categories: the majority-occupied "I don't care" group and the remaining minority of "I care, but I'll be dead by the time it gets really bad, so I don't have to care."

I was a 90s kid and I still remember the PSA-type things in cartoons telling kids how to conserve energy and save the environment by putting bottles in recycling bins and not the river. Like hey, the adults aren't fucking getting it, so let's put a bug in the kids' ears about it. I wonder how many kids drove their parents nuts trying to be eco-friendly and constantly turning off the lights because Captain Planet said to do your part.

People just plain don't care. Reducing emissions would require participation on a global scale and you know people aren't gonna bother unless they're paid handsomely for it, like giving a buck per item recycled instead of a nickel, paying people to fork over their gas burning vehicles for electric and hybrid ones, and no amount of money will stop people from breeding like they've been tasked with single-handedly repopulating the world.

Telling people we're fucked if we don't fix shit won't do a damn thing because a lot of people think climate change is a myth and/or government scare tactics. Then when it's 90 fucking degrees in the winter in upstate New York and the entire West Coast melts and sinks into the ocean everybody will piss and moan about how nobody told them this would happen, and upon being reminded that they had AMPLE warnings, they'll still claim it's someone else's fault.

Tell your grandkids they'll have to deal with a shitty planet because their parents and grandparents didn't love them enough to fix what they broke.
June 28, 2019
"I care, but I'll be dead by the time it gets really bad, so I don't have to care."

I knew a guy who got a science degree in Environmental Science and ran an environmental group. He admitted to me that at age 48 that by the time the shit starts hitting the fan hard enough that life will not be worth living he will be safely dead. He has one daughter and I felt like asking "what about her?" and this guy is a PNB, so you can imagine the rest of them. Of course he did admit that you are always screwed up against a huge majority that doesn't care, I think he just gave up.
I think what is also the issue is that a lot of companies spewing out a lot of pollution are made to do fuck all, probably because they cry to spineless or greedy politicians that they will have to let go a lot of jobs if they are 'hindered' in any way by regulations and accountability.

So it's not just the irresponsible legions, it's also the top businesses and the politicians that enable them.
nightfire
I think what is also the issue is that a lot of companies spewing out a lot of pollution are made to do fuck all, probably because they cry to spineless or greedy politicians that they will have to let go a lot of jobs if they are 'hindered' in any way by regulations and accountability.

So it's not just the irresponsible legions, it's also the top businesses and the politicians that enable them.

I saw this meme on Facebook that went something like "stop berating people for not going vegan or taking 5minute showers while big corporations are chucking gallons of pollution into the air and oceans".

I shared it and some people reacted badly. I recycle as much as I can, have cut down on beef and have shorter showers than I used to, but twee, cute little tips are not gonna save the planet as much as stopping greedy corp's from destroying the environment for the almighty fucking dollar.
June 30, 2019
I did see something about how one of the biggest sources of environmental damage comes from, basically, cow farts. There are fuckloads of cattle just in the US, so you can imagine how much methane that produces. We need lots and lots of cows to feed the meat-eating masses of both the two-legged and four-legged varieties (commercial pet food needs to use at least some meat, and there are more grain-free pet foods than before, so more for that), and I know there would be major outrage if people were told to eat a slightly more vegetarian diet. Not go full-on vegetarian, but just don't eat so much meat. Better for the planet and healthier for the people too.

Not happening - you'll get people to quit horfing beef when you can pry steaks and burgers from their cold, dead hands. Ground beef is some of the cheapest meat you can get, and what's Taco Hell gonna do if they can't make cheap sloporitos out of meat that's the lowest possible grade it can be for human consumption? And I know the farmers would have a huge problem with it too because that's their livelihood you're fucking with - not just beef, but poultry and even fish farms would take a hit if more people chose to eat less meat.

What do you tell Junior and Princess? Smoke 'em if you got 'em, that's what. I'm hearing that things are going to start noticeably coming apart at the seams in about 30 years, even if we got global warming under control. Hopefully someone's precious angel will figure out how to make a damn good home air conditioner because that's probably the most realistic outcome we can hope for.
Some people are insanely pro-meat. I eat meat, including beef, and I believe the planet is doomed now no matter what we do. But I also enjoy some meals which do not include meat. I am not trying to save the planet or get healthier, I just happen to like bean burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches. I've met people who refuse to even consider any vegetarian option and cannot comprehend why anyone would. They think meat is essential or at least highly desirable for every single fucking meal they ever eat in their lives.Others don't understand why someone would eat meat at some meals but not all. They think you have to either be a vegetarian or eat meat at every meal. Cats require meat, but humans don't. Some people haven't gotten the message and probably never will.thinks someone else is crazy
July 01, 2019
ondinette
Cats require meat, but humans don't. Some people haven't gotten the message and probably never will.thinks someone else is crazy

I've known more than one vegetarian/vegan with a cat. I love to ask about the cat's diet because you know it bothers the plant eater. I think it is kind of weird for a person who vehemently opposes meat in their life "I would never have meat in my house" types to have a cat in the first place. I just hope the kitties in this situation are okay and the plant eater understands the cat's diet is just as important as their diet.
July 01, 2019
We deal with climate change very well over here in Finland. We tax the shit out of people and lately we have increased child bonuses for the fourth and fifth child. For me it is very suspicious that they gather insane amounts of money to "save" the climate while spewing s*it on CF people (like out media has been doing lately).
I will add to this the breeder who barked at me that i'm polluting the world for his 3 children because i fly to see my parents and lately one "eco-breeder" who wished me to die in a plane crash because i was taking sides with the aviation industry.
July 01, 2019
freya
I've known more than one vegetarian/vegan with a cat. I love to ask about the cat's diet because you know it bothers the plant eater. I think it is kind of weird for a person who vehemently opposes meat in their life "I would never have meat in my house" types to have a cat in the first place. I just hope the kitties in this situation are okay and the plant eater understands the cat's diet is just as important as their diet.

Vegans tend to foist their diets onto their children and pets too, and of course they won't own pets that are actually herbivores like rabbits. Nope, they keep carnivorous pets and then feed them pumpkin and quinoa instead of commercial meat-based foods and wonder why their pets are malnourished and miserable. They don't seem to get or care that cats and dogs need meat and that they will get very sick without it. They just want to be able to share on Facebook that OMG look at how CUTE it is that the owner and the pet have matching dinners! Meanwhile the dog is outside eating the neighbor cat's turds because it has a higher meat content than the slop the owner gives it.

Just for the hell of it, I was looking for vegetarian recipes earlier. I don't intend to become a vegetarian, but I would like to try to eat less meat (maybe more fish) and more vegetables. Not for the planet or for social brownie points, but just for me. Ever since I've learned what magic roasting works on vegetables, I can't get enough of them. Hmmm, do we have a vegetarian recipe thread over in The Kitchen yet?

blackpearl
I will add to this the breeder who barked at me that i'm polluting the world for his 3 children because i fly to see my parents and lately one "eco-breeder" who wished me to die in a plane crash because i was taking sides with the aviation industry.

Is that one of the ones that hassled you recently and over the holidays? Yikes, you've got a couple of seriously shite friends.
July 02, 2019

I love to ask about the cat's diet because you know it bothers the plant eater.

Vegans tend to foist their diets onto their children and pets too, and of course they won't own pets that are actually herbivores like rabbits. Nope, they keep carnivorous pets and then feed them pumpkin and quinoa instead of commercial meat-based foods and wonder why their pets are malnourished and miserable.

Guys...just, no. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years and a vegan for 7, and I have lived with cats nearly all of this time. I would never feed an obligate carnivore an improper herbivorous diet. I chose to stop eating animals because I care about animals, and obviously, improperly feeding a biological carnivore isn't caring about animals.
We all know what factory farming is and the fact that we don't do right by the vast majority of commercially raised animals in the world today, and I think if we all could take a step back from the emotionalism of food, most of us could agree that we need to treat farm animals better.

And this is something I've said on here before, but I chose to become a vegetarian as an animal-loving child in an omnivorous household. We don't usually think of it this way, but the choice to eat animal products is based on values and beliefs as much as the choice to be vegetarian. Just as liberals, conservatives, atheists, and believers all raise their families with their own set of values, so do both meat-eaters and vegetarians. As long as the child is eating a well-balanced, nutritious diet, which medical authorities tend to agree vegetarians can, this should continue to be the family's choice. Of course, none of that applies to me or anyone else here, as obviously, none of us have children and dogs and cats are not human children (thank goodness).
July 02, 2019
Cambion
Nope, they keep carnivorous pets and then feed them pumpkin and quinoa instead of commercial meat-based foods and wonder why their pets are malnourished and miserable. They don't seem to get or care that cats and dogs need meat and that they will get very sick without it. They just want to be able to share on Facebook that OMG look at how CUTE it is that the owner and the pet have matching dinners! Meanwhile the dog is outside eating the neighbor cat's turds because it has a higher meat content than the slop the owner gives it.

I really dislike this, it harms the pet. And before having a pet it is a good idea to look at their diet online to see what is required. No different than not allowing a diabetic to have sugar or a celiac to avoid gluten, etc.

Cambion
Just for the hell of it, I was looking for vegetarian recipes earlier. I don't intend to become a vegetarian, but I would like to try to eat less meat (maybe more fish) and more vegetables. Not for the planet or for social brownie points, but just for me. Ever since I've learned what magic roasting works on vegetables, I can't get enough of them. Hmmm, do we have a vegetarian recipe thread over in The Kitchen yet?

I don't eat meat at every meal either. Sometimes not for days and often once a day. Like you, it isn't for brownie points or anything. Especially in the summertime. I'd like to try the magic roasting too.
July 02, 2019
bop
Guys...just, no. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years and a vegan for 7, and I have lived with cats nearly all of this time. I would never feed an obligate carnivore an improper herbivorous diet. I chose to stop eating animals because I care about animals, and obviously, improperly feeding a biological carnivore isn't caring about animals.
We all know what factory farming is and the fact that we don't do right by the vast majority of commercially raised animals in the world today, and I think if we all could take a step back from the emotionalism of food, most of us could agree that we need to treat farm animals better.

And this is something I've said on here before, but I chose to become a vegetarian as an animal-loving child in an omnivorous household. We don't usually think of it this way, but the choice to eat animal products is based on values and beliefs as much as the choice to be vegetarian. Just as liberals, conservatives, atheists, and believers all raise their families with their own set of values, so do both meat-eaters and vegetarians. As long as the child is eating a well-balanced, nutritious diet, which medical authorities tend to agree vegetarians can, this should continue to be the family's choice. Of course, none of that applies to me or anyone else here, as obviously, none of us have children and dogs and cats are not human children (thank goodness).

Bop, you're able to distinguish between your needs and that of your pets, as can well adjusted adults. There are vegetarians/vegans out there who cannot separate their needs from their pet's needs. They are perpetual children. If they are breeders then they likely cannot separate their needs/ego from those of their children and likely insist they be "mini mes." And they raise the next generation to do the same thing.
July 03, 2019
I've certainly heard about people feeding their pets inappropriate food, but I wonder to what extent that is an urban legend. I know several vegetarians and a handful of vegans with cats, and none of them feed their cats a meat-free diet, as they all realize that cats are obligate carnivores. Probably such idiots do exist, because every kind of idiot does exist, but I would suspect that their numbers are rather small. I'm sure it is far more common for people to abuse animals in other ways, such as letting their kids tug on ears and tails.
This week it reached 90 degrees F in Anchorage, Alaska for the first time ever in recorded history. I imagine these idiots will tell their kids that they didn't know and the Gubmint hid it from them. Maybe if we have a descendent of Emperor Trump in 30 years, that man (because you know it would be a man) will brainwash the masses and say not telling people about climate change was a Liberal Plot and Dumbass Middle American mouth breathers will eat it up like normal.

Some people are insanely pro-meat. I eat meat, including beef, and I believe the planet is doomed now no matter what we do. But I also enjoy some meals which do not include meat. I am not trying to save the planet or get healthier, I just happen to like bean burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches. I've met people who refuse to even consider any vegetarian option and cannot comprehend why anyone would. They think meat is essential or at least highly desirable for every single fucking meal they ever eat in their lives. Others don't understand why someone would eat meat at some meals but not all. They think you have to either be a vegetarian or eat meat at every meal. Cats require meat, but humans don't. Some people haven't gotten the message and probably never will.

Side rant: That would be my in-laws. I just spent a couple of days with them and seeing them eat several pounds of ribs each (with the requisite dirty hands, no-napkin, finger licking and lips smacking) is enough to make anyone go full-on vegan.

I myself am not fully vegetarian or vegan. I eat beef maybe once a year, never eat pork and maybe will eat chicken or turkey once a week. I do this because I care about animals, the environment and my health.

Right on, Sister. I know what factory farming is and with so many great other choices, there is no need for an animal to suffer each time I have a meal. Plus it's a scientific fact that plant based diets are usually more healthy. People were more healthy when they ate meat in smaller amounts. (note: I'm talking about eating real food, like vegetables and not empty carbs or even a lot of grains. Anyway, it works for me. ) I chose to switch to vegan milk and vegan cheese (Violife is a great brand). There is no reason for adults to drink milk but I was raised on it and I do like the taste of it. I just made a switch to coconut almond or pea milk because I do not want to support the dairy industry. (Oat milk and rice milk are good too.) I realize you can get e coli from frozen spinach, but more and more I think vegans and vegetarians are the smart ones simply because our factory-farmed food supply has so many down sides: environmental consequences, hormone and antibiotic laden meat, tremendous animal suffering.

Back to my in-laws-- I just quietly bring my own food to family gatherings and on the rare occasion where they have vegetables I eat those. But OMG, my one BIL, who was looking at the gastric bypass program BTW, because he's over 400 pounds, was CONSTANTLY making snide remarks about what I ate. These people eat tons of meat at every meal and they put meat in EVERYTHING. I mean, who puts meat in rotel dip? In every cheese dip they ever make, including sour cream based dips? In salsa? They put this nasty, pre-cooked frozen sausage in everything. They would never eat a bean burrito or grilled cheese sandwich without putting ham in it. As one would expect they are all obese and look 20+ years older than they normally do. I get that meat and dairy are not the total culprits, but they are truly brainwashed and would not consider eating anything else.

Thanks for listening. And I've had cats and dogs my whole life and I feed them an appropriate diet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login