Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disabled vets can't get IVF because of pro-lifers

Posted by kittehpeoples 
Disabled vets can't get IVF because of pro-lifers
July 08, 2019
article

I mean, okay, we don't need more people anyway, but it's interesting to see that some nutjobs do actually take the view that IVF creates embryos that never get used and is therefore a form of abortion if the extras are destroyed.

I also found it interesting that a politician suggested the embryos be kept "indefinitely" as a compromise. So they're the same thing as birthed babies, but it's okay to keep them frozen forever? Wtf?

(I also find it hard to believe that the government isn't tracking how often it pays for vets' IVF treatments, or at least how often they're successful. Another wtf.)
Re: Disabled vets can't get IVF because of pro-lifers
July 08, 2019
Her husband is a paraplegic and they want kids?

moo wannabee
"By using donor embryos, you have all those memories, you have all those firsts," she said. "You're not having to make yet more sacrifices, more compromises."

Apparently adoption or surrogacy means sacrifices and compromises to her. From what I can gather being a parent is pretty much chock full of sacrifices and compromises under the best of circumstances. And one spouse in the marriage is seriously physically disabled, so that is a known compromise because moo wannabee is going to have to do lots of heavy lifting.

And most moos complain about all those memories and firsts they experience during pregnancy: first morning sickness, 50 lbs of weight gained, potential bed rest, potential bad birth, etc. I guess the one potential positive memory is the loaf kicking in utero?

I don't think this potential moo is going to deal with it very well if she ends up with a defective loaf. Some are so defective they will never have many firsts. Or a first will take years and tons of effort.
July 08, 2019
freya
moo wannabee
"By using donor embryos, you have all those memories, you have all those firsts," she said. "You're not having to make yet more sacrifices, more compromises."

Apparently adoption or surrogacy means sacrifices and compromises to her.

Yep. Isn't that a fabulous excuse for not adopting a child who's already here and needing a home? So she doesn't have to give up "memories and firsts." Kids in the foster system are just used up and not exciting enough, I suppose. No hand me down kids for her.
July 08, 2019
The only good thing here is that the Bob Woodruff Foundation is paying for it. The VA has enough to do without having to deal with infertility.

$35,000 for IVF? That could buy a very well equipped van for him. Though this couple must have money, did you see that big kitchen?
July 08, 2019
kittehpeoples
Yep. Isn't that a fabulous excuse for not adopting a child who's already here and needing a home? So she doesn't have to give up "memories and firsts." Kids in the foster system are just used up and not exciting enough, I suppose. No hand me down kids for her.

I guess she doesn't get that a system child still has room for plenty of normal kid firsts that would actually probably be much more meaningful given how few good things they have going for them prior to adoption.

Also, using donor eggs and sperm is pretty much adoption, only the uterus is the orphanage. Moo may have given birth to that kid, but it isn't biologically hers. It's genetically someone else's child. Do they realize that? All that money they wasted making a homemade brat could have been spent on an already-made one that needs a loving family. Though I imagine no agency would give a child to a couple where one of the spouses is crippled.

Stupid
"IVF is pro-life, because we're all looking to build a family and bring children into this world, and then build them into amazing, incredible citizens of the world," Wilson said.

Boy they sure think awfully highly of their parenting abilities, don't they? With the way things seem to be going, odds are very VERY low that their offspring will be any better than average. Meanwhile, the odds are also VERY high that their kids will grow up to be criminals. And why does "building a family and bringing children into this world to build into amazing, incredible citizens of the world" have to exclusively involve children the woman gives birth to herself? Where's the rule saying you can't build a family with adopted children?

I'd love to know how exactly Duh intends to be a decent father when half his body doesn't work. He can't work, he can't chase after the kids or take them to the park or really do anything. He's dependent on his wife to take care of him, I'm sure, so that means her workload will double because she's got to wrangle a brat and take care of her husband's busted ass.

Of course disabled young veterans want to breed - what the fuck else can they do when they can't do normal person things? They probably want to make little biological Xerox copies of themselves to force into the military to live vicariously through them. Daddy had to come home early because he got his nuts blown off stomping around another guy's country shooting people, so have Junior pick up where he left off and fuck whatever Junior wants to do with his own life.

Fuck these people. As long as there are children without homes, IVF should be fucking illegal. Nobody should be making more people until the ones we've got have roofs over their heads and food in their stomachs.
July 09, 2019
Cambion
kittehpeoples

I guess she doesn't get that a system child still has room for plenty of normal kid firsts that would actually probably be much more meaningful given how few good things they have going for them prior to adoption.

You'd think "first time someone's wanted to be my mother" would be a pretty good first for a potential breeder, wouldn't you?

Cambion
Fuck these people. As long as there are children without homes, IVF should be fucking illegal. Nobody should be making more people until the ones we've got have roofs over their heads and food in their stomachs.

I agree completely.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login