Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boomers have angst over Millennials not breeding

Posted by yurble 
Boomers have angst over Millennials not breeding
July 09, 2019
Whose biological clock is really ticking?

Some boomers I know have the grace to admit it’s their issue, not their children’s: “I never knew how much I wanted grandchildren until I realized I might not get them. I’ve stopped even asking.”

I wonder how many times they "asked" before shutting up. I'm betting the kid had to go no contact for a while before reality sunk in. And some of the most self-absorbed generation ever still haven't gotten the message:

And some, like one woman I talked to, whose daughter is now in her late thirties, are overtly distraught about it: “Don’t you dare make this into a joke. It’s the tragedy of my life. ”

Yet another breeder who doesn't understand it's not about her, and that her daughter is not her clone. She seems ill-equipped to deal with an actual tragedy, like something happening to her daughter. But seeing as her daughter isn't good enough, maybe she'd welcome the chance to play martyr without her daughter intruding with doses of reality.
Re: Boomers have angst over Millennials not breeding
July 09, 2019
Of course the boomers want their kids to breed - they want all the good parts of child rearing without a vast majority of the shit work. They get to play house with the kids for a few hours or days and then hand them back over.

Yeah, my generation isn't having nearly as many kids for a lot of reasons. Aside from figuring out breeding blows without having to go through it first, a decent chunk of people my age can't afford shit because of the debt we incurred to attend the college the boomers told us we had to attend. Yeah you tell me how a thirty-something with $65,000 in student debt working at KMart can afford to breed.

Their asses want grandshits, they can foster a teen girl and ask her to get pregnant and give them the resulting child. It'd be a real shitty thing to do, but I could totally see a desperate teen girl in the system who would be okay with giving birth in exchange for room and board.

I'm thankful that out of all the horseshit my own mother does, begging for grandbrats isn't one of them. She actually heavily discourages it, but I think that's only because she already told me that if I ever had kids, she would be raising them for me. She didn't ask, she told me she would take over all parenting duties without my consent because I'm a retard who doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground as far as she's concerned. And then I'm sure I'd get to spend the rest of my life right up until I blew my brains out hearing about how expensive child care is and how she already raised her child *hint hint*. Because that's one of her most endearing qualities: forbidding me from doing stuff, doing it for me, and then acting like I'm forcing her to do it for me complete with a thick layer of passive aggression.

But hey, if her continuing to believe I'm brain dead keeps the grandbaby-rabies away, that's fine with me. She stresses me out enough as it is without the additional burden of mooing for grand-turds. And she already fucked me up beyond repair, I'm not giving her ass the chance to do it again.

The boomers ought to be glad their kids can think for themselves enough to figure out that they don't want kids for one reason or another instead of figuring it out after breeding. Be happy that your kids are healthy and happy with whatever choices they have made. Be really glad if they aren't living at home anymore - that's an increasingly bigger achievement for younger people.

The way these idiots obsess over a lack of grand-sprogs is like some sort of infertility by proxy - they want kids, but can't get them because their own kids won't hunker down and spawn. You know some of them aren't above tampering with birth control and guilt tripping to get grandkids.
July 09, 2019
The article won't let me cut-and-paste. There is one sentence, "Face it, we all have biological clocks." Really? I never felt I had one. I'm getting old, now 56, but I never felt any urge to procreate, if that is the more classic definition of "biological clock." Therefore, my alleged biological clock has ever been counting down.
July 09, 2019

“Don’t you dare make this into a joke. It’s the tragedy of my life. ”

My first thought was how fortunate this woman is. The worst thing that's ever happened to her is a lack of grandkids.

My second thought echoed yurble's. The bitch needs to get the fuck over herself. It's not even close to being about her.

deegee
The article won't let me cut-and-paste. There is one sentence, "Face it, we all have biological clocks." Really? I never felt I had one. I'm getting old, now 56, but I never felt any urge to procreate, if that is the more classic definition of "biological clock." Therefore, my alleged biological clock has ever been counting down.

I don't have the clock, either. My sister is in her 60s and has had her tubes tied since her mid/late 30s; she never had one, either. "We all have them" is a cop out bingo. It makes the whiners feel justified, since "everybody feels this way."
July 10, 2019
No clock here, either. I think it's a social mechanism. Nobody ever mentioned it before the advent of the pill, when women finally had a choice. Before that, having children was the norm, so there was no need to invent a "biological" mechanism to explain it. And while some may have claimed old maids went batty, I don't think there was a widespread belief that nuns would suddenly chuck it all away because of an overwhelming urge to reproduce. Some people just couldn't handle the idea of women having sex and not having children, so they had to make up stories about it.
July 10, 2019
If there was ever a biological clock, mine was born broken. I've never felt the urge to have kids, quite the opposite. I'm repulsed by the whole experience.

I agree with everything yurble said.
July 10, 2019
I've always thought that, if there were a biological clock, it would go off when a woman is at her optimum peak of fertility, not when the eggs are on the verge of being scrambled or gone off completely.
July 10, 2019
I've never had any sort of biological clock or yearning to breed either, but then some people might say I'm still too young to feel it because I'm not over 35. That seems to be the magical age when women are supposed to suddenly crave loaves. If anything, my dislike and lack of desire to reproduce has grown stronger, especially after working in a school.

I think it's probably just societal pressure with a cute name. Have kids before it's too late! Because the only thing that determines your worth as a person is the kids you make! eye rolling smiley

yurble
Some people just couldn't handle the idea of women having sex and not having children, so they had to make up stories about it.

Sounds pretty spot on. Having kids is a woman's "job", so in order to scare or guilt them into having kids they may not want, someone had to make up an imaginary clock to make these women feel like they need to go and breed before a certain time, as if that's the only thing that matters in life. I remember in another thread someone brought up that it's also possible the biological clock bullshit is just a way to excuse the increase in libido women seem to experience when they enter middle age. How dare women have non-procreative sex and enjoy it! Let's make it brat-related so it sounds more wholesome because children are the obvious and unavoidable outcome of sex. eye rolling smiley

lurker-derp
I've always thought that, if there were a biological clock, it would go off when a woman is at her optimum peak of fertility, not when the eggs are on the verge of being scrambled or gone off completely.

That would make sense, but much like with some kinds of food, people take comfort in knowing it's there and it's good, so hey, no rush to use it. They take the freshness for granted. Then when they realize what they have is on the brink of expiring, they rush to use it while they can.

And the people who have kids young can be explained with a similar food metaphor. It's like eating when you're not hungry, but you just really wanted to sate a craving. Then when you get done, you think, "I shouldn't have done that. I wasn't ready/"hungry" yet."

Older people who breed are basically "starving" and eating whatever they can, even the rotten/spoiled food. Doesn't matter if it'll make them sick and fuck them up, they "need" to satisfy that urge. Except actual starving can be a life or death matter while nobody ever died from not breeding, so the comparison kinda works and kinda doesn't.
July 10, 2019
Cambion
Older people who breed are basically "starving" and eating whatever they can, even the rotten/spoiled food. Doesn't matter if it'll make them sick and fuck them up, they "need" to satisfy that urge. Except actual starving can be a life or death matter while nobody ever died from not breeding, so the comparison kinda works and kinda doesn't.

Reasonable analogy. When people are starving and get food but don't take it easy, they end up dying from so much food so suddenly. People who are desperate for kids and then become geezer breeders end up looking like they've died inside.
July 10, 2019
I'm going to be 51 this year and I've never felt this mystical 'biological clock' either. When I was younger, I thought I was weird, because so many of my friends and family would talk about it. Now, I've come to realize that the clock is, as put earlier, a social mechanism designed to further the breeding agenda. What I DID experience was a fuck ton of stupid bingoes from people who were trying to pressure me into something I knew I didn't want. Luckily, I used my brains enough to know that breeding wasn't a good idea.
July 10, 2019
I'm 49 and starting menopause and I still have no desire at all to breed. If anything my aversion to children has increased as I've gotten older.
July 10, 2019
I had a CL friend who told me the biological clock thing hit her really, really hard when she hit pre-menopause.

She still chose not to have a child, though, for several really good reasons. She also had the best reasons for wanting a kid that I've ever heard someone give. Like she had actually, I dunno, thought about it or something and made logical decisions based on her personality and lifestyle. And yeah, still made the choice not to breed because it was the smart thing for her to do. She was pretty awesome that way.
July 10, 2019
My Boomer parents have let it be known that they feel very, very cheated as my brother is also CF. Gee, I wonder what kind of awesome parents could have produced two children who noped on parenting? And it’s not due to finances or lack of partners.

My mother was in the first generation that could “have it all” (i.e. be a distracted parent to latch-key kids AND do a shitty, half-assed job at work while stuck in a horrible marriage because of the kids). It did not make the Lifescript look appealing.

I have never heard my biological clock ticking. I drive a two-seater, get eight hours of sleep a night, have a great relationship and have hobbies that require concentration and needles. I think my mother is just pissed at how much she would have loved to have had my “meaningless” life when she was younger. I think people her age can’t even enjoy their lives now because they wasted the years that we spend cultivating interests, hobbies, relationships outside our families and reasons to be proud of ourselves that don’t involve basic biological functions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login