Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Mouse is picking on entitled breeders again

Posted by kittehpeoples 
The Mouse is picking on entitled breeders again
August 01, 2019
Breeders' son dies. They want Spider-Man on his gravestone. The city council tells them they can't without permission from Marvel/Disney. Disney tells them they have a policy in place since before Walt Disney died saying none of their IP can be used for grave markers, cremation urns, etc. because they don't want their characters associated with death and dying.

Breeders commission a "temporary" gravestone with a huge image of Spider-Man on it and put it up anyway. Now they are outraged that they've been told by the city council that it has to come down. Cue the lowing.

(I personally love that the father claims "Disney's only interested in money" and that now his son's dead and they won't be getting any more of that sweet toddler paycheck, they don't care; but on the other hand, if they licensed their characters for this kind of thing, wouldn't that make them more money?)

They've already been contacted by a lawyer. Because of course they have. They'll end up making some money off of their kid's death yet.
Re: The Mouse is picking on entitled breeders again
August 01, 2019
I think it's in poor taste to put a Spiderman in a place that is to be reverent and respected, like a graveyard. I hope they are forced to take it down.
August 01, 2019
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disney-refuses-permission-boys-spiderman-17444020#comments-section

On the plus side, many of the comments are on Disney's side in this matter; though there are a handful of "But... but... but... a child!" type comments bashing the company for daring to have a policy about this.

mumofsixbirds
I think it's in poor taste to put a Spiderman in a place that is to be reverent and respected, like a graveyard. I hope they are forced to take it down.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Although, it's classier than the way some breeders decorate their kid's plot. Every so often you get an article about some breeder mooing copious tears over having to tone down the decor. Losing someone you love is tragic, and being able to personalise their cemetery place can help with the grieving process, but half of them look like a Toys R Us vomited all over it.
August 01, 2019
Why can't they just do a nice little angel statue like a normal person?
August 01, 2019
The kid won’t know or care if Spider-Man is on his grave stone. This is purely for the parents.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
August 01, 2019
LoveToLurk
The kid won’t know or care if Spider-Man is on his grave stone. This is purely for the parents.

Yep. Hence the attention whoring. "Big bad Disney won't give me what I want!" They're trying to play the "suffered enough" card. I hope Disney doesn't budge.
August 01, 2019
mumofsixbirds

I gather from the articles I've seen that they did have to remove it. Good. I hope it cost a fortune. I mean, they were told twice not to do it...what did think was going to happen?)
August 01, 2019
kittehpeoples
Breeders' son dies. They want Spider-Man on his gravestone. The city council tells them they can't without permission from Marvel/Disney. Disney tells them they have a policy in place since before Walt Disney died saying none of their IP can be used for grave markers, cremation urns, etc. because they don't want their characters associated with death and dying.

Breeders commission a "temporary" gravestone with a huge image of Spider-Man on it and put it up anyway. Now they are outraged that they've been told by the city council that it has to come down. Cue the lowing.

(I personally love that the father claims "Disney's only interested in money" and that now his son's dead and they won't be getting any more of that sweet toddler paycheck, they don't care; but on the other hand, if they licensed their characters for this kind of thing, wouldn't that make them more money?)

They've already been contacted by a lawyer. Because of course they have. They'll end up making some money off of their kid's death yet.

My stepfather really loved a comic that featured a lot of cows called The Far Side. He had a garbage can with a lid that featured this comic strip. Did I try to obtain a funeral urn with the Far Side or violate copyright? Nope, I just took Ralph's cremation box and put it inside the can my Stepdad already owned, and parked it next to my late sister's little vase and my mother's hookah that holds her remains. None of my 'urns' are actual urns. They just hold what is left of my departed family. I did not need to ask for ANYONE's permission to use what I used, just used the personal property of my parents to hold my parents.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 01, 2019
craftyzits
My stepfather really loved a comic that featured a lot of cows called The Far Side. He had a garbage can with a lid that featured this comic strip. Did I try to obtain a funeral urn with the Far Side or violate copyright? Nope, I just took Ralph's cremation box and put it inside the can my Stepdad already owned, and parked it next to my late sister's little vase and my mother's hookah that holds her remains. None of my 'urns' are actual urns. They just hold what is left of my departed family. I did not need to ask for ANYONE's permission to use what I used, just used the personal property of my parents to hold my parents.

This is because you do it for yourself. The parunts are doing it as a public spectacle.
August 02, 2019
freya
craftyzits

This is because you do it for yourself. The parunts are doing it as a public spectacle.

Yup! Very few ever see my little 'urns' either.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 02, 2019
freya

Yes. And nothing gets more public than screaming, "Disney hates dead kids/grieving families!" These types see companies like Disney as a huge target with deep pockets. Nickelodeon got mentioned in one of the article's comment sections, too, for exactly the same thing-- not allowing Spongebob to be put on a gravestone. But this is the one getting talked about, because going after Disney is flashier and more likely to net quick money. (Unless I missed discussion of the Nick fuss. Did anybody else here know about that one?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login