Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another school district expects parents to feed their kids.

Posted by cfinboston 
Another school district expects parents to feed their kids.
August 17, 2019
https://6abc.com/education/cherry-hill-school-district-feels-pushback-over-lunch-debt-policy/5472162/

Yet another school district faces frustration over parents' unwillingness to buy their kids food. Either this is an actual epidemic or it just makes for good news. The lunch in this particular school district is $3.10/day. That means parents are refusing to pony up less than $16/week to ensure their children are fed. As with anywhere, if the families were actually poor they'd qualify for free or reduced cost food. Therefore it's fair to believe this is 100% a matter of laziness and entitlement. Naturally any plans the school administration has to recoup their money is seen as cruel, shaming, and inhumane. Funny how there's never any public criticism of the shitty parenting that got the kids to this point.
Re: Another school district expects parents to feed their kids.
August 17, 2019
Cherry Hill is a middle class district outside of Philadelphia, a bedroom community in NJ where people that work in Philly live. There are also affluent areas of Cherry Hill. This is a case of entitled Karens thinking the village should feed their kids. People there can afford to feed their kids. They are choosing not to, preferring to freeload food and shame people who don't want to pony up to fund little Jaeiden and Creidaen's stomach.

Because if you were an entitled breeder, what would you rather pay for, your kid's food or the newest, biggest SUV or Michael Kors bag?
August 18, 2019
Seems delinquent lunch brats will be given tuna sandwiches instead of hot lunches. I wonder how many parents are going to be coming out of the woodwork screaming that their preciouses are vegan and making them eat murder is a violation of some kind of human right.

I'm glad to see that they're not feeding brats at all who are in excess of $20 in debt to the cafeteria. It sucks for the kids because it's not their fault they're in debt, but you cannot fucking give breeders any wiggle room on shit like this because they'll take advantage of any kindness and then bitch about not getting more. Let the kids fucking starve or Moo and Duh can stuff food in a bag for them. Yes, it's the school's job to feed them, but it's the parents' job to pay for that food. No money, no foody. That's just kind of how things work anywhere.

I don't get why hot lunches are such a must. When I was in high school, I'd say I got the cold lunches by choice at least half the time because I wasn't too nuts about the hot lunches or because I just wanted a sub or a salad. Why are cold lunches considered evil?
August 19, 2019
I imagine a fuckton of starving kids from around the world being totally unable to understand how a sandwich, carrot sticks and glass of milk is a punishment.
August 19, 2019
I was thinking of making tuna sandwiches for lunch today. I actually prefer cold lunches over hot, because sometimes I feel bogged down with food in the middle of the day and I just want to go lie down for awhile after I eat it.

Thinking about it now, most of my summertime meals have been cold. Lots of fresh salads, buns, cold-cuts, cottage cheese, etc. My husband likes to do stuff on the barbecue, so we sometimes skewer some vegetables and chicken or seafood and toss it on the grill. I love doing wraps and coconut rice if we have that...but again, it's usually not super hot.

I think these people are completely unreasonable to think that the schools will feed their kids hot lunches for free. I do feel kinda bad for the kids, because they didn't ask for their parents to not pay the lunch bill. These people should be ashamed of themselves.
August 19, 2019
I was just listening to Adam Corolla who said he grew up poor and they had hard boiled eggs and an apple for many meals. And, this is a good point. Sometimes a dozen eggs are on sale for 24 cents here, but likely 89 cents and maybe 1.29 the highest of the store brand. In season, you can buy a huge bag of apples, oranges, or tangerines etc for a couple bucks, sometimes the huge bags are even 2 for 1. The parents can afford that. He said oatmeal w/ some crush walnuts on top and a few slices of fruit is like 18 cents a serving, if you can't afford that for your kids, they should be taken away for their own health and safety.

These parunts just dont care and want the Government to foot the bill. Keep their kids feeling like the underdog I guess.
August 19, 2019
cfuter
I was just listening to Adam Corolla who said he grew up poor and they had hard boiled eggs and an apple for many meals. And, this is a good point. Sometimes a dozen eggs are on sale for 24 cents here, but likely 89 cents and maybe 1.29 the highest of the store brand. In season, you can buy a huge bag of apples, oranges, or tangerines etc for a couple bucks, sometimes the huge bags are even 2 for 1. The parents can afford that. He said oatmeal w/ some crush walnuts on top and a few slices of fruit is like 18 cents a serving, if you can't afford that for your kids, they should be taken away for their own health and safety.

These parunts just dont care and want the Government to foot the bill. Keep their kids feeling like the underdog I guess.

Oh my goodness. My mother used to pack boiled eggs, salmon salad sandwiches and apples every time we went out on a trip somewhere. My sister and I went to her graveside shortly after she passed, and we brought those very things to eat for lunch in the car after we visited her. It brought back so many lovely memories. I don't have a lot of great memories from my childhood, but that was one that I look fondly on.
August 19, 2019
mumofsixbirds
cfuter

Oh my goodness. My mother used to pack boiled eggs, salmon salad sandwiches and apples every time we went out on a trip somewhere. My sister and I went to her graveside shortly after she passed, and we brought those very things to eat for lunch in the car after we visited her. It brought back so many lovely memories. I don't have a lot of great memories from my childhood, but that was one that I look fondly on.

Where I live food is exceedingly expensive. Eggs can't be obtained for under $2.80. There's no such thing as in season. Our produce comes from California, and I mean all of it.

When I was growing up in California, my stepfather would fix refried bean sandwiches with ketchup. Those sandwiches would be packed with crackers and an apple or an orange.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 19, 2019
cfinboston
I imagine a fuckton of starving kids from around the world being totally unable to understand how a sandwich, carrot sticks and glass of milk is a punishment.

Plenty of adults in the US would be thrilled to have this lunch provided and wouldn't see it as punishment whatsoever. And that likely goes for adults in most other countries too.
August 19, 2019
Peace
Because if you were an entitled breeder, what would you rather pay for, your kid's food or the newest, biggest SUV or Michael Kors bag?

If the parents can afford to feed their kids and they aren't doing so it is neglect. It might not be as bad as locking the kid in a closet for 2 days but it is still neglect.
August 19, 2019
Hunger is the very best spice, and I guarantee by the time lunch rolls around and a kid hasn't eaten for 4-5 hours, even the pickiest awtard would eat a cold sandwich. Some kids will eat stuff off the ground or things that are inedible because they're fucking stupid, so it's not the kids who have a problem with the sandwich lunches - it's the parents. Well, if they don't like their brats getting the poor lunch, why don't they pony up for the "normal" lunch? Or better yet, homeschool the kids and feed their asses at home so they don't have to buy lunch at all.

I hope this school doesn't puss out like the one in Pennsylvania did and give the non-paying brats the same food as the paying ones. All that teachers breeders is if they scream and stomp loud enough, they'll get their own way. Just once, I want to see a school stick to its guns and not give in to breeder tantrums just to see what happens. What are they gonna do? Boycott the school? There's nothing they could do to harm the school if they don't get their own way - at least nothing that couldn't harm them back (vandalism, slander, etc .).

It's absolutely not that these parents can't afford to feed their kids because every school has a low-income lunch option. It's that they're cheap bastards who don't care enough about their kids to pay to feed them. Even the poorest welfare breeders can afford 40 fucking cents a day for lunch - you can find that in the reject bin of a Coinstar machine, in your couch, or on the floor of your car.
August 20, 2019
I really don't understand why kids supposedly need warm lunches...at the same time as childhood obesity is far higher than it was during my childhood, when packed lunches were the norm. Kids do need healthy lunches, but healthy is not synonymous with warm, and without cooking skills, warm is much more likely to be crap (instant food, takeout). Plus the expectation of warm food for every meal is hard to incorporate as a healthy habit, since most warm foods are designed to be full-scale meals. So why don't they start providing healthy cold meals that the kids can also learn how to make on their own? It seems it would provide greater benefit to these kids, in terms of preparing them for life.
August 20, 2019
I saw now on twitter, that Atlanta school district is now giving free breakfast to ALL students, too. Isn't that one of the places that was giving discounted lunch and people weren't paying and there was an outpour of support that everything should be free, for da chyldren?

Many people are against it, but others think it is immoral to put a price tag on everything like this, and should just give out free stuff. twitching eyes
August 21, 2019
When I was in grade school, the staff was too cheap to hire people to cook food, so they just ordered out from local fast food places and served it on paper plates. Same places every single week for the entire decade I went to that school. Pizza was on the menu 3 times a week and then the other days were things like McDonald's and Taco Bell/KFC. Some kids ordered lunch every single day. Mind you, there was a fully functioning kitchen complete with professional stoves, freezers and hot plates - all the equipment needed to run a school cafeteria. They just wouldn't use it. It's not like they were broke, it was a private Catholic school that actually charged people to send their kids there. Catholics being greedy fucks - big shock, right? eye rolling smiley

Unfortunately, it would cost too much and require too much effort to feed kids healthy food (especially given how many more kids there are now because people won't quit breeding), so it's much easier to feed them cheap slop like chicken patties and hot dogs. If a school promised to feed the kids with locally sourced healthy food, people would probably be thrilled at first, but then they'd screech when they have to pay more for it.
September 10, 2019
Bratz birthday ruined becuz he didnt get his cheesy bread for free and got the free school lunch instead. Mom and grandmom mad (of course their is no dad) becuz Mom owed the money to school, not the kid. Very convenient argument mom.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190910/a-school-took-away-a-9-year-olds-cheesy-breadsticks-because-he-couldnt-pay-it-was-his-birthday?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jefferson Sharpnack had already been the new kid at school. So last week, after cafeteria staff at Green Primary School in northeast Ohio took away his cheesy breadsticks in front of all his schoolmates because he had run out of money in his lunch account, the 9-year-old came home with a resolute declaration: This had been the worst birthday ever.

On Monday, his story, and his grandmother's outrage, which propelled it into the spotlight, helped to make sure that what happened to him would not happen again to students in Green, scoring a small victory for low-income families in the national debate around "lunch shaming," the practice of taking public action against students for unpaid school lunch bills.

Critics say the policy singles out low-income students and humiliates them; school administrators counter that action has to be taken to tackle the mounting meal debt straining their already-overstretched budgets.

According to WEWS-TV, an ABC affiliate, Sharpnack had moved with his two brothers last month to stay with their grandmother, Diane Bailey, in Green, Ohio. The children were supposed to be enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program, but because there was a delay in the paperwork, Sharpnack was given a note on Aug. 30 warning that his lunch account was in the negative. Bailey called the school and thought she had ironed things out. Then on Tuesday, Sharpnack's 9th birthday, cafeteria staff publicly replaced his regular meal with what the school described as an alternative meal.

"When I was going to check out, the lunch lady didn't say anything, took away my cheesy breadsticks and sauce, put them over there, and took out bread on cheese from the fridge and put it on my tray," Sharpnack said to WEWS-TV.

Bailey said she was left in tears when she heard what had happened.

"In my mind, he didn't owe anything. I owed the money, the parents, the school district," the grandmother said. "My other question is, if they take the food off of your tray, they have to throw it away ... You're going to throw it away and not feed the child? That doesn't make sense to me."

On Sunday, the school district serving Green said it was examining its policies. And on Monday, the district's superintendent, Jeffrey L. Miller II, announced that per a new policy, "All students enrolled in PreK through twelfth grades will receive the standard lunch for the day at their respective buildings regardless of their account balance."

In response to inquiries on why the district had decided to change its policy, spokeswoman Julia McMahon did not mention Sharpnack but wrote to The Washington Post, "Our administration felt strongly that the time to make a change in our lunch guidelines was now and the change took place today."

Green Local Schools is the latest battleground in a years-long debate around lunch shaming. A federal report found that, in 2014, nearly half of all school districts had policies that singled students out for meal debts, "PBS NewsHour" reported.

In 2016, a third-grader in Alabama returned home with a stamp that read, "I need lunch money," shocking his parents, who said it felt as though the school was treating students "like cattle."

In May, a school district in Rhode Island announced that any student with unpaid lunch debt will be given only one option for lunch: a sunflower seed butter and jelly sandwich. Officials told the Providence Journal at the time that the new rule was necessary because the district had thousands of dollars in unpaid lunch money -- a burden on its multimillion-dollar budget deficit. After nationwide backlash and a flurry of donations, the district rolled back the policy.

So, moo and grandmoo dont look at it as THEY humilated the kid, the school did If people are expecting free food, etc, they should be sent to a financial workshop to see where their money is going, as opposed to their kids' lunch, and see if they are really hardship cases or just poor planning.

BTW, I learned today in IL, if you make 41k you are eligible for food stamps and if you make 47k your kid gets free breakfast, and lunch at school, and one free 'summer meal'. Considering most homes are 'single' parents...wouldn't this end up being a ton of 'young parents'? People at my hub's work, purposely don't get married, ALL the fathers involved get cash only jobs, and my hub found out that these moos decline any raises they earn....why?....so they don't lose there govt freebies. They all get medicaid, and my hub's group insurance is very expensive that we pay into b/c no one is in the group...but him and a few other people. So we pay THEIR medicaid and we pay our own overpriced group insurance b/c they arent part of the work group insurance. This pisses me off.
September 10, 2019
I want to add, I wouldnt even said any thing to my mom if this happened to me, I would have just said the bill needed to be paid, b/c I couldnt get the paid lunch anymore.
September 10, 2019
Maybe if the school district and parents are worried about singling out poor kids with jelly sandwiches, why not level the playing field and give ALL the kids the same damned jelly sandwiches? That way, nobody will feel left out, and the kids wouldn't be so damned fat.
September 10, 2019
mumofsixbirds
Maybe if the school district and parents are worried about singling out poor kids with jelly sandwiches, why not level the playing field and give ALL the kids the same damned jelly sandwiches? That way, nobody will feel left out, and the kids wouldn't be so damned fat.

If they're serving "cheesy breadsticks" as a lunch option, just about anything would be an improvement. That sounds like to sort of thing you might have once a month as a treat, not a normal meal.
September 10, 2019
mumofsixbirds

A lot of those fat kids are fat because of chronic hormone problems. If your hormones are fucked up, you can live on a diet of 300 calories per day and still gain weight. The average American consumes microscopic bits of plastic with their food and water. The average American eats about a credit card's amount of plastic every week. That can permanently fuck up your body.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 10, 2019
crazy, doesn't seem to muck up their ability to breed

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
September 10, 2019
twocents
crazy, doesn't seem to muck up their ability to breed

Actually, humans aren't breeding like they were only 70 years ago. Back then, a family of 5 was considered usual. Today, a family of two is.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 10, 2019
craftyzits
mumofsixbirds

A lot of those fat kids are fat because of chronic hormone problems. If your hormones are fucked up, you can live on a diet of 300 calories per day and still gain weight. The average American consumes microscopic bits of plastic with their food and water. The average American eats about a credit card's amount of plastic every week. That can permanently fuck up your body.

Well, I dunno much about that. While I do understand that increased hormones in foods can make people fat, I also think that a good amount of why people are fat are due to their own poor lifestyle choices. I think these 'hot lunches' every day are probably not the healthiest option, and are probably made with a lot of cheap shit that isn't good for anyone.

The best options are lunches made at home and brown-bagged to school. Veggie sticks, fruit, sandwiches made with decent bread and healthy fillings are more than likely a lot better for kids than those school lunches. I remember seeing hot pockets and lunchables come on the market, geared towards kids. None of that stuff looked even remotely healthy.

I have no doubt that eating plastic isn't good, but I'm not sure what it would do to metabolism.
September 10, 2019
yurble
If they're serving "cheesy breadsticks" as a lunch option, just about anything would be an improvement. That sounds like to sort of thing you might have once a month as a treat, not a normal meal.

This was typical lunch food when I was in high school back in 2001-2005, honestly. I don't remember every single thing they served, but the hot foods were usually things like burgers and fries, hot dogs, chicken patties/nuggets, macaroni and cheese, pizza, breadsticks, cheese-stuffed breadsticks (I'd be lying if I said this wasn't one of my faves too), cheese bagels, and cheesesteaks that were literally dripping with cheese and sauce, just to name a few. They also had salads and subs every day for people who didn't want the hot lunch and also little cups of sliced fruit and vegetables that went largely untouched because everyone wanted the greasy stuff. Many kids would get double helpings of stuff too like two cheesesteaks and piles of Little Debbie snacks.

But kids probably won't eat anything healthy and then they'll whine to Mommy and Daddy that the school won't feed them real food and the breeders will screech about their starving brats and how they don't pay for their kids to eat lettuce. So it's easier to just feed them cheap slop full of preservatives, salt, fat, and sugar. And the parents sure as hell aren't going to make any effort to pack decent lunches either.
September 16, 2019
There is no fucking excuse for parents not being able to pay for their brats' fucking school lunches. None. My parents really struggled when I was growing up...looking back, they probably would have qualified for food stamps or other aid, but I'm pretty sure they never did. They both grew up during WW2 and knew real poverty. Not saying some of these parents don't, but the explosion of "free" lunch AND breakfast in schools is alarming, IMO. In my city, which is probably fairly typical across the US, it starts with the school supply drives in mid summer "to help struggling families." Then comes a local news station that does a "Coats for Kids" campaign every fall "to help struggling families." Then the holiday meal and toy drives for the holidaze. It never fucking ends. When you consider that these lazy parunts are probably ALREADY ON one or more forms of public aid, they can cobble together quite the amount of freebies. No wonder it seems like every time you see these people portrayed on the news, they have tattoos, elaborate nail and hair jobs, the latest phone, etc. etc. I'm not kidding, either.

I think my biggest concern about all this is what it teaches the kids...that they're not responsible for themselves. Where do school supplies, warm coats, food, etc. come from? Well, we go down to the (whatever location) and someone gives them to us for FREE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
September 16, 2019
One of the districts where I live does free breakfast and free lunch for the students and they'll also send home broke students with backpacks stuffed with food every weekend to ensure they have something to eat between Friday afternoon and Monday morning. If you don't have enough food stamps to feed a child for two fucking days, you need your kids taken away, period. What in the fuck do these people do with their food stamps and benefits that they can't feed their own damn kids? I knew people whose parents were on the dole and they got so much fucking milk and eggs that they gave away gallons/dozens to everyone they knew and they still had too much for themselves.

Schools are practically raising kids for parents now. Why don't we just make all schools boarding schools? Seems like the schools are doing more for the kids than the damn parents are. They feed them two out of three meals a day, some schools do a free summer lunch program because the parents bitched about how will their kids eat when school's out, they bitch about not having enough money for the 25-cent poor lunch and then bitch about their kids getting sandwiches for free, and in a lot of cases, the environment a classroom provides is the only discipline and structure the kids have in their lives.

Just let the schools raise the kids for a fee and the kids can go home for the summer. There's a chance that they might be raised by competent people, unlike how they'd be raised at home.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login