Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More parunt bubblewrapping: change the world and insist others don't use the R word

Posted by freya 
Moo is on a mission to change the world! bemused eye roll

Anyone who dares say the r word within ear shot is going to get a lecture. She better start avoiding any crowds.

She has been dreading the moment for two years when some dares to say retarded in front of her downie kid.
Note: is it really worth dreading something so trivial for two years? And given his condition more than a bit unrealistic to expect him to not hear it? hysterical laughter

Sensi-moo
It is not OK to refer to ourselves or anyone with derogatory terms.

Better bubble wrap him now!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/voices/when-a-restaurant-server-used-the-r-word-in-front-of-my-family/ar-AAFvuXg#page=2
When I was growing up the word retarded was the correct word for someone considerably less intelligent than average. Now people are saying it's derogatory and unacceptable. I even saw a public service announcement that said so. What do they want to be called now, and how long will it be before that word is unacceptable?
I used to work for the CACL in Canada, The Canadian Association for Community Living. It used to be the Canadian Association for the Mentally Retarded in the 80's. Community Living could be about anything because the word "retarded" was considered "mean"

Also youtube still has "The Retarded Policeman" from 10 years ago.
freya
She has been dreading the moment for two years when some dares to say retarded in front of her downie kid.

So she was ready to fight over...something that had never happened? Sounds like she's looking for things to be offended by.
No matter what you call it, people are going to use it in a derogatory fashion if they look down on what it describes. Look at what the word "special" has come to mean when applied to people. It's not a compliment.
I remember years ago when Kat Von D had one of her lipsticks removed from the shelves at Sephora because it was called "Celebutard". Some moo with a downie kid were on TV complaining about how the word was insulting to her daughter.

I was pissed, because it actually looked like a nice color, and it was removed because of something that has nothing to do really with retards. Also, why would a Downie even care about something like that? Her moo was the one who felt insulted, and cause a big brew-haha about it on the news.

From what I understand, Celebutard is a slang term for stupid celebrities, like Paris Hilton and the like. What a dumb thing to do!
yurble
No matter what you call it, people are going to use it in a derogatory fashion if they look down on what it describes. Look at what the word "special" has come to mean when applied to people. It's not a compliment.

exactly, and we go thru the same stuff for the handicapped. Used to be Lame, then it was crippled, then....
ondinette
When I was growing up the word retarded was the correct word for someone considerably less intelligent than average. Now people are saying it's derogatory and unacceptable. I even saw a public service announcement that said so. What do they want to be called now, and how long will it be before that word is unacceptable?

I heard, like the AMA even changed the word becuz of pressure, It was a medical term, obviously anyone can look it up and the accurate definition. To change this word becuz kids in the seventies used to be mean is sooo dumb. I mean, are we also gonna get rid of 'short buses', becuz now it is a euphemism for the 'special' people?
cfuter
ondinette

I heard, like the AMA even changed the word becuz of pressure, It was a medical term, obviously anyone can look it up and the accurate definition. To change this word becuz kids in the seventies used to be mean is sooo dumb. I mean, are we also gonna get rid of 'short buses', becuz now it is a euphemism for the 'special' people?

Yep. They'll demand a new term, and the new term will become the insult, and they'll demand a new term...basically because they don't want it pointed out to them that their child is faulty, not special. There's no word they can come up with that someone won't use as an insult. People are going to keep...well, being people.
OK then, I'll play...no more use of the retard word.

I'll call them mentally SLOW instead. bouncing and laughing devil smoking
If she's getting her tits in a knot over someone saying "retard" because her kid is a tard, isn't she admitting her child is a retard by proxy? Like why would she get offended over it unless she knew it was true? Wouldn't not getting pissed over it make a bigger statement because she would be showing that she doesn't think her kid is a tard?

Moo needs to lighten up and understand that people will use language she finds offensive no matter how special her little tard is. So how would it affect her lingual crusade if she learns that brake retarders are a thing?

Retard
I want him to be included and understood. I want people to look at him and see the person he is, not judge him by his diagnosis.

And how precisely are you doing that by making a big stink over a word that applies to his diagnosis? Why can't she just teach her kids that "retard" isn't nice to say, but people say it anyway and that's just how it is? It's not the word itself that's the problem anyway - it's the meaning behind it. If you intend for something to be hurtful, then it can be hurtful. Calling someone "fat" can be an observation or an insult depending on the tone you use. You know how many times my friends have called me a cunt? Plenty. But I know not to take it to heart because I know they're just messing with me.

How's about you mind your own goddamn business and mind your tard, Moo? I doubt your kid has the capacity to care if someone were to say "retard" within earshot, and if he did care, it wouldn't be because he chose to care. It'd be because Moo trained him intentionally or unintentionally to get offended over it.
freya
Moo is on a mission to change the world! bemused eye roll

Anyone who dares say the r word within ear shot is going to get a lecture. She better start avoiding any crowds.

Note: is it really worth dreading something so trivial for two years? And given his condition more than a bit unrealistic to expect him to not hear it? hysterical laughter

Sensi-moo
It is not OK to refer to ourselves or anyone with derogatory terms.

Better bubble wrap him now!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/voices/when-a-restaurant-server-used-the-r-word-in-front-of-my-family/ar-AAFvuXg#page=2

What a load of shit! My mother didn't blanch at the 'R' word, she simply taught me how to react to it.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Cambion
Retard
I want him to be included and understood. I want people to look at him and see the person he is, not judge him by his diagnosis.

And yet here she is broadcasting his diagnosis. Obviously if someone said "the R word" in her presence, it wasn't registering with them that her kid was. Until she pointed it out.
Yeah, it's an ugly word but you can't police the language of strangers ya dingbat. And it did used to be the medically/clinically correct term for someone with an intellectual disability. Like many other words, it's all in how you say it. Saying someone is mentally retarded is very different from calling a kid "a retard". People have abused the word & now folks associate it with something ugly, just like how "colored" has become "people of color"...not technically all that different but the history of the former term brings up painful memories of racism so I get why we've abandoned it. "Retard(ed)" has a similar history.

But again, you can't bend the world to fit your desires. You knew what kind of shitty planet you were bringing the kid into when you sprogged. Life sucks & then you die.
Whatever happened to I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it?

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
I think The Office has a quote that sums it up nicely.

Michael Scott
You don't call retarded people retards, it's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded.

I think "idiot" was also considered a medical term at one point too, wasn't it? Grabbed from Wikipedia, so it may or may not be accurate:

Wikipedia
Idiot was formerly a legal and psychiatric category of profound intellectual disability in which a person's mental age is two years or less, and he or she cannot guard against common dangers.

I kind of think if "retard" gets used a lot, it'll eventually just lose its sting. Wouldn't that be better for people to get tired of it? Because if it gets a rise out of dumb people like this Moo with her tardspawn, people will keep using it. It's like when little kids go out of their way to do shit their parents explicitly tell them not to do. They like fucking with their parents.

I mean people will just come up with a new word to insult others because that's what we're good at. Or isn't it sort of better that "retard" is considered an insult rather than a medically accurate blanket term for someone who is legitimately mentally disabled? Because doesn't that reflect that it's a "bad word?"

I don't care all that much, personally. I call myself and my friends retards and if someone wants to hassle me for it, I'd tell them to suck my taint. We have far bigger problems to worry about besides petty political correct bullshit.
I guess she better get to ripping out all those tags that read "flame retardant" before tard starts reading.
She could demand the name be changed!

Hopefully she has been obsessing over it for years now, just like hearing the word retard.
kittehpeoples
Cambion
Retard

And yet here she is broadcasting his diagnosis. Obviously if someone said "the R word" in her presence, it wasn't registering with them that her kid was. Until she pointed it out.

He looks about two. And even if he is three or four he is disabled (whether moo will admit it or not) and there is a good chance he has never heard the word before in his life. This is all about the moo.
freya
This is all about the moo.

Isn't it always.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login