Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Technology to address the "semen crisis"

Posted by yurble 
Technology to address the "semen crisis"
September 01, 2019
I would not call the decline of male fertility a "semen crisis" but a welcome development. But here's an article proposing technical solutions to the non-crisis crisis. Which is of course being welcomed by many:

“I think the idea of men freezing their sperm ‘just because’ is quite new, but we certainly welcome it,” he says. “It speaks to the growing awareness and engagement men have with their health. It also shows that men are embracing and prioritising fatherhood as part of their life goals.”

It sounds to me like they are trying to invent a lucrative industry like egg freezing by preying on the insecurities of 30-somethings. And it seems to be working: 42% of British men have concerns about their fertility. And of course you can't have insecurity without blaming women:

The good news is that individual men can do something about their lifestyle fairly easily and expect to see improvement within a few months. But you can’t easily remove people from western society to isolate the reasons for the long-term decline. This has become a source of great anguish on men’s rights forums, where it is sometimes seen as evidence of a feminist plot to emasculate and ultimately eliminate the western male.

But not all are convinced. Some would rather just shame men into breeding early.

Nargund sees egg- and sperm-freezing as “drastic solutions” to problems that would better be solved by increased fertility awareness...We should encourage men and women to start families when they are younger when it is possible.” She concedes that this isn’t what men will want to hear, even if it’s the sort of message women have been getting for years.

Or we could teach them to deal with disappointment if it doesn't work out when they decide they do want kids. Honestly, even if I think it is asinine I'd rather see men making spermcicles than breeding; with any luck by the time they are emotionally ready to breed it will be evident to even the dumbest that our planet is utterly fucked and it's an asshole move to reproduce.
Re: Technology to address the "semen crisis"
September 02, 2019
"Semen crisis" sounds like a band name. Also, I immediately lost what little faith I had in the article when it started going on about semen volume. Doesn't matter if you produce a few drops or you can fill a shot glass, that has nothing to do with how many sperm are in each ejaculation.

Sounds like just another way to make money off suckers because I'm sure you have to pay monthly to keep sperm frozen and there's probably no guarantee that the sperm will still be viable.

A study in the journal Human Reproduction Update in 2017 found that sperm count in men from North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand had dropped by 59.3% since 1973. If it continues to decline at this rate, soon humans will no longer be able to reproduce naturally. And, as the authors say, nobody really knows what is causing it.

Oh shit, say it ain't so! People will have trouble making more people in a world of over 7 billion? Believe me, in spite of any real or imagined fertility issues, people are breeding more than ever. Fertility rates and sperm counts dropping is nothing but good news.

Is it exposure to phthalates in plastics? There is a link between mothers being exposed to these common chemicals and decreased genital size in boys. Is it hormone-altering chemicals in sunscreen? Oestrogen in the water supply? Industrial pesticides? (Environmentalists have voiced grave concerns about sperm decline in birds and bees.) “It’s within a generation, so it’s not genetic – which means it has to be lifestyle: diet, lifestyle, stress factors,” says Ulsted, whose interest in sperm began when he read the study.

It's probably people eating horrible things and treating their bodies like crap, but expecting there to be zero consequences. Being a lardass impacts fertility in both men and women. Or maybe it's nature trying to slow down reproduction.

I suppose it is nice from a gender perspective to lay some of the blame on guys since any time people can't reproduce, it's typically considered the woman's fault. But why does every single life have to involve making more lives? Why does this bullshit continue to get shoved down our throats? Because when you grow up hearing this shit, a lot of people can't help thinking they're doing something wrong or are failures for not breeding, even if they don't really want to. This is why people go fucking nuts and blow their nest egg on IVF when they find out they're infertile. I guarantee you ANYTHING that any child resulting from such tremendous and invasive reproductive effort will in no way be worth it once it arrives.
Re: Technology to address the "semen crisis"
September 03, 2019
wish we cf could come up with some scam to get these hysterical breeders. they are so lemminglike in their stampede to worship their gonads they'll fall for anything to achieve this. Some snake oil guaranteed to double the lil swimmers numbers perhaps??

and this would probably get banned over in reddit

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login