Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What comes from letting brats call the shots: blindness

Posted by yurble 
What comes from letting brats call the shots: blindness
September 03, 2019
A teenager in the UK has gone legally blind after years of a diet consisting of french fries, potato chips, white bread, and sausages. He had that diet since he finished elementary school, and had already seen a doctor when he was 14 because he felt fatigued and was diagnosed with vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The kid claims that he couldn't eat other food because of "texture".

What I want to know is: where were his breeders in all this? Why did they let him do this for years on end? If they genuinely couldn't do anything, why didn't they commit him to an institution that deals with eating disorders? Why, precisely, did they think it was okay to let a kid make his own poor dietary decisions, which left him disabled (and taxpayer supported) for the rest of his life?
Re: What comes from letting brats call the shots: blindness
September 03, 2019
I like to watch medical shows such as Mystery Diagnosis and Life in the ER. The latter one had a vignette where a 4-ish kid came into the ER with his parents. He was bruised and screaming whenever his feet would touch the ground and was in pain.

After running a bunch of tests, the ER doctor diagnosed him with scurvy, aka Vitamin C deficiency. Once they figured it out, the doctors were all geeked out over seeing something that they had only seen in textbooks and will likely never see again, because most people who live in the Western World eat enough vitamin C in their diets.

So on to the interview with the parents: How is this kid's diet? The parents, who looked to be late teenagers, said, well, he likes to eat oatmeal. It turns out they were feeding him ONLY oatmeal because "that's what he liiiiiiiikes to eat."

The doctor called a social worker rather than Social Services because the parunts were not abusive, just ignorant**. A social worker was called and reminded the parents that they were "in charge" and if he didn't want to eat vegetables and healthy food, tough. (They probably had a Hell of a battle on their hands.)

**I would have disagreed with that decision. Being too stupid to take care of your kids is NEGLIGENT. Society stuffs the falsehood down everyone's throat that "Parenting makes you a better person." Another falsehood is that parenting will make you smarter, despite MASSIVE examples to the contrary.
September 03, 2019
stupid multiplies because it is subsidized.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
September 03, 2019
Parents of these morons would rather just take the easy way out and let their kid eat two foods their whole lives because "Well at least s/he's eating something!" Yeah, that shit is fine for a couple years when kids are prone to being picky eaters, but such limited diets should not be catered to long-term because it'll lead to vitamin deficiencies, which can cause major problems, as evidenced by this article.

Couldn't they give the kid a fuckin' multi-vitamin if they were only going to feed him a couple foods? They even make multi-vitamins that are gummy candies now, which I actually take myself because I have a hard time swallowing the gigantic tablets (they taste pretty damn good too, like I'm sorry I can only take 2 per day).

Food texture issues are bullshit that needs to be addressed before a kid hits school age. Sure, everybody's got those couple of foods they can't stand no matter how old they are. That's normal, but when a kid only eats fries and chips because they have texture issues with every single other fucking food in existence, that's not picky eating, that's a mental disorder.

And yeah, I would also love to know where this kid's parents were for 17 years that they didn't notice he was only eating a couple different foods? Were they catering to his bad eating habits and only feeding him this crap? Or did they not feed him at all and he just fended for himself all the time? To think this kid is permanently disabled all because Moo and Duh wouldn't give him a fucking vitamin every day or get off their asses and make him eat a carrot now and then. Well I sure hope it was worth it because they'll probably be taking care of his blind ass now.
September 04, 2019
I was so happy when my local talk radio station said, "sounds like a parental problem". I hate when everyone calls for everyone's heads all the time, but these parents should be jailed and this kid, and all others, taken away.

That being said, my nephew ate nothing but mcdonalds 3 times a day, even at kids' birthday parties, and cheetos, and desserts, for most of his childhood. I don't know what he eats now, and he's not blind, but he is not necessarily the picture of health. As a college-aged adult, he doesnt do much of anything that his parents don't make him do, a few chores b/c the dad aint there to mow, mom got him a PT job, and he sucks at college. He plays video games and doesnt date. He only drives becuz he was forced to, to get to work. I predicted when he was a unruly child, he would be living in my SILs house till he's 40, and he's well on his way of making this predicition true.

But, just as long as mommie and dadhie don't appear to be "mean" and make junior do anything, including eating any vegetables. Oh BTW, my SIL used to own a health club and had license plates that said "Get Fit" on them. blue hangover face
September 04, 2019
There are problems nowadays even with the so called 'nutritious' foods. Many vegetables are turning up to be nothing but plant lumps, missing several vitamins and minerals they are supposed to have. The problem is overused soil.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 04, 2019
cfuter
Oh BTW, my SIL used to own a health club and had license plates that said "Get Fit" on them. blue hangover face

Wow, the cognitive dissonance!
September 05, 2019
Cambion

Couldn't they give the kid a fuckin' multi-vitamin if they were only going to feed him a couple foods? They even make multi-vitamins that are gummy candies now, which I actually take myself because I have a hard time swallowing the gigantic tablets (they taste pretty damn good too, like I'm sorry I can only take 2 per day).

Food texture issues are bullshit that needs to be addressed before a kid hits school age.

This! Vitamins would be so easy. I started to taking those flinstone vitamins in elementary school {the gummies weren’t as popular, I guess, I didn’t know they existed until college}, and now I take those. They even have vegan ones made without pork gelatin. They are DELICIOUS, and the peach ones taste like peach rings. I’ve occasionally consumed more than 2 per day. If an extra spills out onto my hand I go “ooops” and eat it anyway. Don’t know how bad it is for you but it goes to show they taste good so even picky eaters need their vitamins.

I also like fries and chips and foods that are crisp. Some healthier things he could have for snacks are fried zucchini {still fried but not as nutritionally empty as a potato}, salad with croutons, whole grain toast {Dave’s killer bread is delicious, and has 5g of fiber per slice}, lightly breaded chicken, crunchy peanut butter, nuts with dried fruit, or granola bars / healthy cereal. I mean damn. Even UNHEALTHY cereal is fortified at least in this country idk about the UK. This seems so preventable.

As for the bread thing, I prefer white bread to brown bread, but if you only buy brown you get acclimated to the taste and it isn’t completely unpalatable/

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
September 05, 2019
I saw this story come up many times in health headlines recently and apparently the kid also went partially deaf due to his shitty diet.

I figured it was common sense that you need to eat more than three foods. The parents have nobody to blame but themselves. The kid was probably a horribly picky eater when he was very young and the parents indulged him to get him to eat, but never tried to fix it because it was easier to feed his ass bread and chips every day than have meal time become a battleground.

I wonder if the kid is an awtard of some kind because usually I see food texture problems to this degree happening exclusively in autistic people, in which case this kid losing most of two of his senses is no big loss because he probably wouldn't have become a productive member of society anyway.

Still, I think this should count as neglect. Not feeding your child a variety of foods and not supplementing the vitamins they're not getting if you feed them a highly restricted diet is neglecting their dietary needs. Maybe the effects of severe vitamin deficiencies won't become apparent immediately, but 17 years of eating bread and potatoes will take its toll.
September 06, 2019
kittehpeoples
cfuter
Oh BTW, my SIL used to own a health club and had license plates that said "Get Fit" on them. blue hangover face

Wow, the cognitive dissonance!

My other SIL and BIL are dentists, and their first born used to have free access to HUGE bowls of candy, and had like 6 cavities as a small child. I thought that was unheard of this day and age, especially from two educated parents, but whatev! It is more important to have no rulezz and not be a mean mom/dad.

I'm middle aged and don't have six cavities. The one I did get was there caught under my braces, a toothbrush couldnt get to it
September 06, 2019
I did have about 9 cavities, but I was autistic and dealing with my autism to access my mouth was difficult although the parents did try. Most of the cavities came about when I didn't have dental insurance and had to forgo dental health care. SSI did not give Medicare like SSD does. The past five years have been cavity free.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 06, 2019
craftyzits
I did have about 9 cavities, but I was autistic and dealing with my autism to access my mouth was difficult although the parents did try. Most of the cavities came about when I didn't have dental insurance and had to forgo dental health care. SSI did not give Medicare like SSD does. The past five years have been cavity free.

My niece wasn't autistic and my ILs had plenty of money, know-how and insurance. A proper parent wouldnt give free access to a huge bowl of candy 24/7, and would make sure said child had proper dental care every nite is my guess. Just like a health club instructor and ower probably knows not to let her son eat nothing but mcdonalds and cheetoes.
September 06, 2019
cfuter
craftyzits

My niece wasn't autistic and my ILs had plenty of money, know-how and insurance. A proper parent wouldnt give free access to a huge bowl of candy 24/7, and would make sure said child had proper dental care every nite is my guess. Just like a health club instructor and ower probably knows not to let her son eat nothing but mcdonalds and cheetoes.

My mother was definitely a proper parent, as she would not allow me to pig out on Halloween candy, she would dole out one candy per day if I was well-behaved. Each night except on pasta nights there was a vegetable at dinner. Pasta nights were covered in tomato sauce. Unlike my father, Mom did not force me to eat that which I despised, but I had to try every food that was served as "my tastes may have changed". I ate many dinners I did not care for, one I really disliked was boiled potatoes, string beans and hand burger patties. Yech!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 06, 2019
Yes, I had to try everything.
September 10, 2019
Presumably because people have been asking "What the fuck were the parents doing in all this?" I've seen an 'informative' article about arfid, the eating disorder the teen suffered from. But while I agree you can't just tell someone with an eating disorder to get over it, you know what you can do? Exactly what I suggested: get that person appropriate care for the eating disorder. I definitely take exception to the headline, "the eating disorder that made a teenager go blind." The eating disorder didn't directly cause blindness. One of the consequences of the eating disorder going unchecked was blindness.

So, again, I ask where the fuck were the parents all those years? It wasn't a hidden eating disorder, they had to know it was happening.

And no surprises for those who guessed it is highly correlated with being on the spectrum.
September 10, 2019
B/c I'm sure the doc couldve given him vitamin shots. So, no one made the kid to go to treatment, even when had hearing probs 3 yrs before this
September 10, 2019
cfuter
B/c I'm sure the doc couldve given him vitamin shots. So, no one made the kid to go to treatment, even when had hearing probs 3 yrs before this

In the USA's shabby excuse of a medical system, it is very possible a doctor could and would overlook the need for vitamin shots. It wasn't until I found a doctor trained in Canada that I finally got treatment for my hormone disorder. All the other doctors just told me 'deal with it your getting old'. I am 51 years old. I had dealt with a lack of female hormone sense I was 12. The parents may not have gotten this kid medical care at all due to lack of insurance.

If the parents are simply ignorant, they may not realize exactly what needs the child had in the diet department.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 10, 2019
IDK, the kid is from Britian I thought. They said w/ the hearing loss, they didn't follow up w/ treatment. If my kid was deaf, I would think there would be a way to get treatment. A go-fund me at least.
September 10, 2019
It was in the UK. They have the NHS.
September 15, 2019
yurble
It was in the UK. They have the NHS.

We do, but thanks to the scumbags in charge, funding for the NHS has been cut more than Bruce Willis' hair. I've been on the waiting list for psychiatric treatment for my eating disorder for over a year, my friend's hip operation was cancelled and rescheduled FIVE TIMES, and a bunch of medical treatments typically available via prescription are also being scrapped, even if it was cheaper to pay the prescription charge than buy it OTC.

But he's a kid, and kids still get every-fucking-thing on the NHS for free - even dental care - so there was no damn excuse for his pathetic breeders to not get his health checked out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login