Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hospitials closing maternity wards

Posted by cfuter 
Hospitials closing maternity wards
September 04, 2019
At least three Chicago-area hospitals have announced plans to close their labor and delivery units in the last year or so — and more closings may be ahead.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-obstetrics-closing-hospitals-labor-delivery-20190903-kgdgsq2ai5a7lmhmyzvago44gi-story.html

"The national birth rate also has been falling, as have the number of births in Cook County, including at hospitals and at other locations. Cook County had 64,358 births in 2017, also down 7.4% from 2014, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health."

I guess the same is happening in rural areas, maternity wards are just too costly.
Re: Hospitials closing maternity wards
September 04, 2019
yes, our local area hospital is building a new building. They will not only not have a maternity ward, but apparently no ICU. And the major sports around here seem to be breeding and crashing your car while high.The nearest hospital with such services is 20 miles! I have to admit, as much as I hate breeders, I think this is weird and short sighted. Of course, I had to stay away from the local protest group on FB because they were all mega-breeders. Seems like the new hospital will be just a VERY expensive infirmary! Possibly we old folks will get better high level testing facilities? Unsure about whether they will offer MRIs etc that we now have to travel to.
September 09, 2019
Part of the issue is that hospitals have been making maternity wards these cushy home-like areas, which eats up costs. And frankly, such a setup would be better served in long-term care wards where patients are staying weeks or months at a time.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
September 09, 2019
Article
It can sometimes be difficult for hospitals to make money from their labor and delivery units because more women tend to be on Medicaid than men, and Medicaid generally doesn’t pay hospitals as well as private insurance, Friedman said.

And there ya have it. Welfare Moos get to go in and shit their loaves for free (free for them, anyway), sometimes annually or almost annually, and hospitals are getting sick of not getting paid for that crap. They probably can't refuse to take Medicaid for childbirth since I think it's still considered an emergency, so they'll just do away with a department that isn't much of a money maker.

On the other hand, I wonder how many more lawsuits there might be - frivolous or otherwise - when laboring heifers sluice in a hospital with inadequate labor/maternity facilities.
September 09, 2019
Cambion
Article
It can sometimes be difficult for hospitals to make money from their labor and delivery units because more women tend to be on Medicaid than men, and Medicaid generally doesn’t pay hospitals as well as private insurance, Friedman said.

And there ya have it. Welfare Moos get to go in and shit their loaves for free (free for them, anyway), sometimes annually or almost annually, and hospitals are getting sick of not getting paid for that crap. They probably can't refuse to take Medicaid for childbirth since I think it's still considered an emergency, so they'll just do away with a department that isn't much of a money maker.

On the other hand, I wonder how many more lawsuits there might be - frivolous or otherwise - when laboring heifers sluice in a hospital with inadequate labor/maternity facilities.

We'll hear the Mooing from Mars!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 10, 2019
Now, why do hospitals need maternity wards when women have babies anywhere?
September 10, 2019
paragon schnitzophonic
Part of the issue is that hospitals have been making maternity wards these cushy home-like areas, which eats up costs. And frankly, such a setup would be better served in long-term care wards where patients are staying weeks or months at a time.

Yes, I totally agree with this. If I were a hospital, I'd make the palliative care ward a nicer place, and moos could have the regular, dour hospital rooms for giving birth. I think that people who are dying or in ICU should get the nicest stuff.
September 10, 2019
mumofsixbirds
Yes, I totally agree with this. If I were a hospital, I'd make the palliative care ward a nicer place, and moos could have the regular, dour hospital rooms for giving birth. I think that people who are dying or in ICU should get the nicest stuff.

That would make sense, so of course they won't do it. Give the Moos the comfy, cushy rooms because they'll likely be repeat "customers" and hospitals can make bank even off complication-free births. But the people who are dangling by a thread or are in the process of dying? Pff, fuck 'em, they don't need anything fancy! They can just shut up and die and be glad they're in the hospital at all and not behind a dumpster.

Believe me, I do NOT feel that way personally, but I think the general consensus is that people who might die or who are on their death beds don't need more than comfort meds, so it's best to cater environmentally/aesthetically to the people who are going to be fine (and also most likely to bitch, so MOOS) and just go roll the 98-year-old with end stage cancer around every couple days so her family doesn't sue over her bedsores. It sucks, but I'm probably not far from the truth.
September 10, 2019
The OB Malpractice crisis is still a major concern.

https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/14556589

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2049569

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp030064

And the moos mooing about it.

https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/giving-birth/labor-support/is-there-an-ob-gyn-crisis/

TBH, I don't think intensive care requires a nice atmosphere. When you're in ICU, you really are suffering too much to think about your surroundings, or at least that is my experience. I'd save the nice stuff for people who have to keep going back to the hospital: cancer patients, dialysis patients, etc.
September 12, 2019
I was wondering if this could be a contributing factor as well. I read an article a few years back that said a lot of OB/GYNs are dropping the OB part because the malpractice insurance is too high (because moos are not in any way a sue-happy bunch eye rolling smiley). I guess it makes sense that this would be a problem for maternity wards as well.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
September 12, 2019
Moos are digging their own graves, medically speaking. They sue over fucking everything, ranging from "birth rape" and the doctor not adhering to their birth plan to some other stupid trivial bullshit they had to deal with while recovering like how they didn't like the cheeseburger they were fed. Is it any wonder why fewer doctors are specializing in obstetrics and maternity wards are closing? Nobody wants to deal with their entitled asses!

Then they raise their kids to be assholes, which is why fewer people are becoming or staying teachers. Give it time and Moos will have no choice but to sluice on the kitchen floor and home-school their kids because you won't be able to pay people enough to deal with kids.
September 13, 2019
LoveToLurk
I was wondering if this could be a contributing factor as well. I read an article a few years back that said a lot of OB/GYNs are dropping the OB part because the malpractice insurance is too high (because moos are not in any way a sue-happy bunch eye rolling smiley). I guess it makes sense that this would be a problem for maternity wards as well.

If only! Next step: gynecologists who specialize in contraception and sterilization.
September 14, 2019
Moos have definitely brought this on themselves. If there wasn't the tendency for them be sue-happy, the premiums would be lower and there would be more OB-GYNs. I remember before my father died his malpractice went sky high (he was a general practioner). I don't recall him ever being sued, but moos were already starting the lawsuit BS for every little thing. I don't remember what his premium was that last year, but it was definitely a lot of money in 1971.

I remember an RN friend telling me that moos on the maternity were treated like queens. I guess with the comfy home-like rooms and all, moos have become spoiled brats. They should be glad that they can give birth in a clean environment instead of what women went through in 19th Century maternity wards. The doctors used to go from patient to patient, often with blood on their hands. As you can imagine, a lot of women died from things like puerperal fever. I mean those guys had absolutely no idea of what sterile technique is!

When I heard about this "birth rape bullshit" I went ballistic. A doctor having to intervene in a delivery doesn't constitute rape in any way, shape or form. And their doctor didn't adhere to the Moo's birth plan? Too damn bad. Maybe circumstances didn't permit him or her to adhere to it. I guess no one ever told these stupid cows that, in the words of the old Rolling Stones song, "You don't always get what you want". Jesus, I learned that as a little kid!
September 15, 2019
MerlynHerne
When I heard about this "birth rape bullshit" I went ballistic. A doctor having to intervene in a delivery doesn't constitute rape in any way, shape or form. And their doctor didn't adhere to the Moo's birth plan? Too damn bad. Maybe circumstances didn't permit him or her to adhere to it. I guess no one ever told these stupid cows that, in the words of the old Rolling Stones song, "You don't always get what you want". Jesus, I learned that as a little kid!

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the outcome is more important than the experience and there certainly are people who will make a disproportionate fuss over things not turning out as planned. Such people never really faced any hardship in life and are in need of a sense of perspective.

On the other hand, there is definitely a tendency for doctors to discount women's conditions and disregard their opinions. (There are studies on this, and any CF woman seeking sterilization probably has first-hand experience with doctors being dismissive.) So I expect there are women who have legitimate grievances about the way they were treated. For instance every woman who was a victim of symphysiotomy has a valid reason to be pissed off.

At the same time, assuming access to contraceptives and abortion, it's a matter of choice to be giving birth. Like any elective procedure, you have the opportunity to make sure you trust the people involved in your care.
September 16, 2019
Cambion
Article

I work at a good-sized hospital in a position where I see lab orders come through. The paperwork has the patient's billing info on it. The number of pregmoos (you can tell by the kind of lab work being ordered) on Medicaid is SICKENING. It's definitely more than those on private insurance. Of course, there are plenty of people getting non-preggo lab work done who are on Medicaid also, but it's just so WRONG for pregmoos to be sluicing on the taxpayer dime. Then of course they go on to avail themselves of even more public aid because they've sluiced....food stamps, subsidized housing, welfare, etc.

They should all be sterilized.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login