Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

College debt and breeding

Posted by twocents 
College debt and breeding
September 20, 2019
I just saw a link to an article over at the childfree reddit... (link for those who want it: we have seen similar: ""https://www.mic.com/articles/123051/why-millennials-dont-want-kids"")

and I had a thought. very close behind the publication of some of these articles, seems to be when these poly shitties started on this campaign of 'free kawlidge', forgiving kawlidge debt', and perhaps other 'kawlidge' debt alleviation. I think it is a ploy to try and get people to breed. Nothing is free, so everyone is going to be paying more money for more breeders if this actually comes to pass.

fuck these hysterical 'we need you to breed' types.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.

Re: College debt and breeding
September 21, 2019
Some politicians are desperate and will promise anything for votes and the Millennials are a huge voting group.
So the lowbrows pander to obtain votes and with adults that have been in the workforce for less than 20 years that is student loan debt. Even if one of the desperate win the election it would take years to develop a program that would forgive college debt and the law would change with the next elected party. And that assumes such nonsense would somehow be approved in Congress, which is highly unlikely in the first place.

If by some miracle all the conditions were perfect and college debt was forgiven it would likely happen for a very small minority who would fit nearly impossible criteria, see public student loan forgiveness program for a similar blueprint.

Also, plenty of people are stupid enough to procreate on a promise (their college debt will be paid) even before it comes to fruition and they realize they are completely screwed. By then, it is too late. Maybe then they will learn that nothing is free.
September 21, 2019
Something DOES need to be done about the spiraling costs of a college education as no one can afford it. Students are nothing but profit machines to higher education and banking industries. Then there is the fact that few jobs will take non-college grads.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 21, 2019
In most countries in Europe, university is free or else highly affordable. (It works because firstly, costs are kept under control unlike in the USA, and secondly because college-educated people end up getting better paying jobs and thus paying more in taxes in the future.) And still we have falling birth rates.

The only people who would breed on the promise of free tuition are those who are probably too stupid to succeed even if they were paid to study.
September 21, 2019
Unlike the European Union the United States doesn't care about its people.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 21, 2019
The media loves extremes. They'd like to paint a picture of students in six figure debt for a social work degree. And while it is true that people like that exist they made the conscious choice to attend an expensive school and obtain a degree of their choosing. No one put a gun to their head.

Here are 50 affordable community colleges: https://www.affordablecolleges.com/rankings/community-colleges/
All are under $10,000 a year. The article also talks about average college tuition being $9,139 a year.
If a student is determined it would be easy to attend a community college for two years (at an average cost of $3,347 a year) then transfer to a four year school (at an average cost of $9,139 a year).

The total average tuition would be $24,972. Of course, an amount like this would never make the news because it isn't impressively high. This doesn't include living expenses nor does it include any kind of employment.

There are also online degrees available for students who don't live near the school they want to attend or for students who want to work while obtaining their degree and minimize their debt.

When I went to college there wasn't an online option and it wasn't possible to look online and figure out in 10 minutes what the requirements of any degree are at any college and the average starting salary.

The whiners can cry me a river. I swear, they act like the first generation to have student loan debt.
September 28, 2019
I think another motivation may be to fix the very real problem of crooked school loan lenders. (Of course just forgiving everyone's loans is stupid and misguided.)

It would make more sense to actually manage the student loan programs and have some oversight to the lenders, but many legislators are not inclined to do that because they are bought by special interests. It's in the best interest of these lenders to have their students obligated to them and over-paying.

The entire student loan program is a cluster fuck of chicanery. I borrowed about $8000* for a couple of graduate school classes. I had the $ in the bank but wanted to use it for a house. I paid my loan off early and later went pay-as-you-go. I chalked up the experience to lessons learned.

The Federal backing of these programs means the banks have no incentive to be accurate with their lendees. Many are in trouble for predatory practices. In my case, Every. Time. the loan was sold on the secondary market--and it changed hands a lot---the acquirer had NO RECORD of any payments I made. I had to get copies of all my checks and I sent many certified letters to get the problem fixed, and my credit was still dinged for it. They will try to get you to pay more $ than you owe.

*ETA: This was about 20 years ago and lenders are 1000 times worse now.
September 29, 2019
bell_flower
I think another motivation may be to fix the very real problem of crooked school loan lenders. (Of course just forgiving everyone's loans is stupid and misguided.)

It would make more sense to actually manage the student loan programs and have some oversight to the lenders, but many legislators are not inclined to do that because they are bought by special interests. It's in the best interest of these lenders to have their students obligated to them and over-paying.

I agree 100% with this. It is the root cause (besides inflation, but that causes everything to increase in price). Once student loans became federally backed this caused much of the problem now. It doesn't help at all that during the recession the government pushed very aggressively on the unemployed to take out student loans and take classes for education.
September 29, 2019
I might be a bit biased because I was dumb about college. I wasn't given any choice in the matter, so I just chose a school that was far enough away that my batshit crazy maternal unit couldn't easily drop in on me. I went to a for-profit school that I didn't know was for-profit and paid waaaaaay too much for a shitty degree with the help of a dishonest lender. I actually owe more now than when I graduated in spite of on-time payments for several years. I'm pretty deep in the hole, but I know I'm far from alone and a lot of people my age are in the same boat. College debt can be crippling even for people who make an otherwise livable salary.

I know debt elimination has upsides and downsides, but I think doing nothing about it and allowing people to stay in massive debt forever is going to have a ripple effect. If millions of grads can't afford to live because of their loans that will never get paid off, it's going to have effects that reach much farther than just reproducing. No one will be able to afford houses, weddings, vacations, new cars, starting up new businesses, pretty much everything will see a decline because people can't afford shit. Apparently if you owe too much, sometimes you can't even rent an apartment because landlords will be too afraid to rent to you! Not that being able to afford kids was ever a deciding factor for most breeders.

It's not just one singular issue - it's several factors. People not looking closely at schools before enrolling. Choosing worthless majors because Mommy told them they can be anything they want when they grow up. Schools using misleading tactics and information to keep people enrolled. Student lenders not having reasonable repayment terms (usually it's private lenders that do this) and also doing dishonest things to keep their claws in borrowers' wallets for life. For example, it recently became public knowledge that my lender intentionally didn't tell people about reduced payment plans and would heavily encourage forbearances, which would ultimately lead to higher long-term payments for short-term relief.

It doesn't help that you need a fucking bachelor's degree to work in fast food now, so college is practically as much of a requirement as high school at this point. Colleges know that, so they just jack their tuition right up. Not to mention the ratio of grads to jobs is very skewed and employers are spoiled little brats anymore who want someone with all the skills of a college grad without the degree so they can pay them less.

If college is such a professional requirement, it should be free or at least much cheaper. But people should also pull their heads out of their asses and make sure they're going to a decent school and not a shit heap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login