Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacher discusses how education is the most toxic profession

Posted by Cambion 
Teacher discusses how education is the most toxic profession
October 23, 2019
https://www.boredpanda.com/teacher-viral-post-toxic-profession-annie-demczak/

Truth here. The condensed version is basically that any other time someone is in an abusive relationship, they should get out immediately and not stand for it. Except when that relationship is between a teacher and a student, in which case teachers are just supposed to sit there and take the threats, the insults, and the violence.

And I don't blame the kids either - I blame the parents. Kids don't get to be so awful all on their own - they have worthless parents teaching them this shit is okay to do either by neglect, abuse, lack of discipline and/or plain poor parenting. Yet you'll find PLENTY of people who claim teachers are grossly overpaid or have gravy jobs because they don't work 8-hour days and get summers off.

This doesn't even touch the clusterfuck that is mainstreaming.
Re: Teacher discusses how education is the most toxic profession
October 23, 2019
When I was a kid their main complaint was about the pay. And I lived in the 49th worst state for teacher pay. At least bad behavior wasn't tolerated. What they have to put up with now as far as bad brat behavior is insane and double the misery for the lower paying states.
October 24, 2019
Cambion

This doesn't even touch the clusterfuck that is mainstreaming.

Mainstreaming was a good idea for blind/deaf/wheelchair. I recall years ago when they started mainstreaming the various potatoes; I saw no good coming of it.
October 25, 2019
I am happily retired from a Jr hi in a large city. Twice I was threatened with assault and BOTH TIMES admins threatened to write me up for " failing to act. " Both times I told admins two things: 1) I'd file charges against THEM for failing to maintain my safety if they did and 2) I'll tear up the license myself before I'll put myself in danger!! We were told by our union to HAUL ASS and find the nearest security OR call 911 if we'd ever felt threatened!
Maybe when the teacher shortage gets so bad they'll finally listen to these concerns!!
So glad I'm retired!!!
October 25, 2019
Great article.

I've often made the same argument about out of control brats who assault their mothers. Why is it when a woman is assaulted by her husband it's domestic violence, but kids are allowed to beat up mothers and siblings others and it's just "he/she's an autard and doesn't know any better?"

Of course 99% of the time the mothers are enabling these brats. If you don't get them under control when they are 3, look out when they are 13.
October 25, 2019
""Of course 99% of the time the mothers are enabling these brats. If you don't get them under control when they are 3, look out when they are 13.""

this!!! the dimbos win or lose the battle at age 3 thereabouts

oh, and furthermore, they should talk to school bus drivers. a lot of them end up really hating kids. and they can't keep them no matter what they pay. I think they should make these government welfare cunts work on busses and/or in school rooms to keep order on their own cunt turds.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.

October 26, 2019
The school district I used to work for is constantly hiring every year, be it teachers, paraprofessionals, lunch ladies, everything. As with any workplace, constantly hiring is usually a sign that the place is a shithole.

Teachers aren't paid enough, period. They're expected to do so much more and put up with a lot more than they used to. Aside from teaching kids, they have to deal with increased behavioral problems and not being allowed to try and fix those behaviors themselves. They have to sit there and be assaulted and risk termination and probably criminal charges if they defend themselves or physically restrain a student.

The parents don't give a shit - they're just glad to dump their asshole kids on someone else all day long, and if a teacher tries to discipline a kid, the parents will storm into the school and scream at the teacher instead of their kids. Administration will side with the parents and students too, so there's no internal support for teachers either. When I was still a book monkey at one of the local schools, the librarian threw one of the asshole kids out of library club for behavioral problems and his Moo pitched a fit and the principal - who gets to sit in his office all day and not wrangle entire classes - just waltzed in and told her she's not allowed to ban a kid from library club just because he wasn't doing what he was told because it hurt his fee-fees, so we had to deal with this little shitstain coming in, not doing what he was supposed to do, making a mess and picking on the other kids.

If this shit keeps up, no one will be willing to be a teacher even if the pay is phenomenal. Maybe when breeders have to home-school their bastards due to a total lack of teachers, they'll consider trying to raise them a little better.
October 26, 2019
I was an elementary music teacher for more than a decade. Everything in that article is spot on. I taught in a district that was 1/2 suburbs and 1/2 urban, which ended up being the worst of both worlds. You got the suburban SAHMs that would snowplow for their children for even the tiniest of incidents, and the kids from the bad areas that were...pretty much feral. And I don’t say that to be funny. I mean like animalistic.

The worst part is that when a kid does something, the teacher is often blamed for causing it. The teacher’s classroom management skills might be be questioned, because a good teacher is of course supposed to be able to wrangle increasingly large groups of increasingly apathetic or disruptive children. Classroom sizes are on the rise, and discipline from parents is on the decline, resulting in large groups of children who know that they can do whatever they want. Discipline is, of course, bad classroom management. A teacher’s job is not to punish, but to achieve this stellar student behavior through an atmosphere of unicorns and rainbows. Students are not expected to give respect until they get respect, so if a kid acts up the teacher must have disrespected them. The district I worked in encouraged teachers to refer to their students as “friends.”

And there’s mainstreaming, which throws children with increasingly severe disabilities into the mix. Separate classrooms are a thing of the past, so even students with the most limiting disabilities are put in regular classrooms. If the disabilities are really severe, the student might get their own 1-on-1 aide. The helpfulness of the aide can be a mixed bag. Sometimes they will be a superstar and help with their charge and also the other kids, but sometimes they will just sit there and not do anything until the teacher asks them to: “Braydon just bit his partner, can you please take him out for a little break and help him regroup?” The teacher is expected to tailor his/her lessons to every single Spec Ed student in the room, so when a Spec Ed kid acts up, it becomes a question of if the teacher was adhering to the needs of their IEP at the time.

Or the teacher might be blamed for not being understanding enough. Since my district extended into some pretty bad areas, we were constantly being trained on “student trauma,” which could have been useful in theory but in practice was basically just “these kids have it bad so it’s not their fault when they act up so you just need to be understanding of their situation. Here are some methods to prevent a kid from going ballistic.” Said methods were ineffective 95% of the time. Spend five minutes talking Michael down while also continuing to teach the other 29 kids in the room so they don’t go nuts. Easy! Teacher trauma was of course never addressed. Teacher’s dad died last week? Suck it up buttercup, the kids come first!

It’s like telling a domestic abuse victim that there are things they should have done to prevent their abuser from going off the rails. “Well, did you have dinner on the table when they got home from work? No? Well, it sounds like you were unprepared for the situation. And did you take into account that your spouse’s job is very stressful? You need to be cognizant of that and proceed accordingly.” It’s absurd, but it’s what is done to teachers every day.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
October 26, 2019
Welcome to Trump government and DeVos run schools. Betsy Devos is being investigated by the government for something she did wrong in her job, since when has she done something right?

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
October 26, 2019
That abuse from spoiled rotten crotchfruit is the result of the "It's all for the children" mentality which really blew full scale in the early 1990's - parents who would bow on their knees to Shitford and Crotchleigh, giving them everything, never saying "No" nor establishing boundaries. It's that generation of spoiled rotten crotchfruit which spawned a new generation, even more spoiled than before, more worshipful than before; children are no longer "equal" to adults but considered superior to adults especially teachers - and their breeder parents make sure of it.

I am just grateful I never had to work with children on the job and never will.
October 26, 2019
Good parenting is rare enough now to make the news it is so shocking

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/father-treats-child-bulled-by-his-teen-daughter-to-a-shopping-spree-195013317.html
October 27, 2019
I have a different take on the issue of mainstreaming and teachers being unable to do anything about violent autards. Let's discuss.

Teachers are mandated reporters for child abuse, and many younger ones took the attitude that any corporal punishment is abuse. In the 1970s and 1980s in many jurisdictions they became notorious for calling CPS on parents who dared to spank their kids. Or if a child came to school with a bruise, same story. People got the message that if they don't let their kids do as they wish, the schools would sick the authorities on them. Eventually this mutated into newer parents being opposed to any form of discipline or punishment.

Now teachers are reaping what they sowed in the first place. Autards hit them and run amok, and the teachers can't do anything about it because of the no-punishment policies these same teachers wanted years ago in the first place. Teachers also lobbied to require mainstreaming because it would ensure job security and (supposedly) higher pay from the schools getting more money for the extra kids.

Waaahhh. I have no sympathy.
October 28, 2019
kman
I have a different take on the issue of mainstreaming and teachers being unable to do anything about violent autards. Let's discuss.

Teachers are mandated reporters for child abuse, and many younger ones took the attitude that any corporal punishment is abuse. In the 1970s and 1980s in many jurisdictions they became notorious for calling CPS on parents who dared to spank their kids. Or if a child came to school with a bruise, same story. People got the message that if they don't let their kids do as they wish, the schools would sick the authorities on them. Eventually this mutated into newer parents being opposed to any form of discipline or punishment.

Now teachers are reaping what they sowed in the first place. Autards hit them and run amok, and the teachers can't do anything about it because of the no-punishment policies these same teachers wanted years ago in the first place. Teachers also lobbied to require mainstreaming because it would ensure job security and (supposedly) higher pay from the schools getting more money for the extra kids.

Waaahhh. I have no sympathy.

The 80s ended 30 years ago. I really doubt that many people who were teaching in the 70s and 80s are still teaching today, and those that are would have been very junior at the time and not responsible for school policies.

Furthermore, the move against beating (and later spanking, although I don't think that started to be phased out before the '90s) children has been part of a broader societal push. In some places, teachers wanted to keep on hitting hands or using the strap, and were pretty much barred from doing so by law. Likewise, a lot of those mainstreaming efforts came from administrators who were being legally forced to provide schooling for all children, but weren't given extra money to cope with sped kids. When the number of kids in sped went from being one or two per year to today's something like 1/4 of the class, there really wasn't an affordable alternative for schools.

So to say that this was all caused by teachers is I think inaccurate, and to blame today's teachers for things that happened when they were themselves probably children is quite unfair.
October 28, 2019
just last week an administrator (think it was New Jersey) is on leave because he slammed a 'developmentally disabled' student into a locker. of course, nothing was said about what the motherfucking defective did.

and some of these defectos are smart enuf to know they can hide behind their so called disability.

I remember that from a long time ago rant from a decent kid who was being traumatized by the fucking defecto.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
October 28, 2019

Teachers are mandated reporters for child abuse, and many younger ones took the attitude that any corporal punishment is abuse.

I myself am not opposed to corporal punishment administered by parents, despite the fact that I saw it abused by my parents when I grew up. It should be rare however. I grew up at the other end of the spectrum. I was afraid of my mom and her vicious temper and she also drank too much on occasion. My siblings and I were routinely popped by my mother when she was angry. She hit my one sister in the mouth and gave her a bloody lip when my sister was about 12. (My sister was probably saying something true that my mom did not want to hear.)

I think that you can effectively discipline your kid in other creative ways. Take away something you know will hurt your kid. Be consistent. Probably the worst part of my childhood was that my mom did not want to deal with us, ever, and every day was a different day. I never knew what to expect. One day all would be good and another day she would fly off the handle at next to nothing. Corporal punishment was pretty common in those days and I think it gave lazy parents a way out.

I am old enough to remember Catholic schools where students were routinely hit with rulers for transgressions or paddled. I think if you give administrators carte blanche to use corporal punishment on any student, it will be abused. However, if one of these feral beasts is attacking a teacher, all bets are off. Of course a teacher should be able to restrain a child and yes, even hit them back. I didn't say hit them, I said hit them back. Everyone should be allowed to defend himself/herself.
October 29, 2019
bell_flower
I myself am not opposed to corporal punishment administered by parents, despite the fact that I saw it abused by my parents when I grew up. It should be rare however. I grew up at the other end of the spectrum. I was afraid of my mom and her vicious temper and she also drank too much on occasion. My siblings and I were routinely popped by my mother when she was angry. She hit my one sister in the mouth and gave her a bloody lip when my sister was about 12. (My sister was probably saying something true that my mom did not want to hear.)

I think this is one of the biggest problems with corporal punishment, that it is so often done in anger. Parents who are pissed off with their children are going to hit them harder and longer. I don't have any negative feelings about the spankings I got, both because they were rare and not very hard, but also because I never felt frightened. I can't remember ever feeling that my parents were mad, only disappointed.

bell_flower
I think that you can effectively discipline your kid in other creative ways. Take away something you know will hurt your kid. Be consistent. Probably the worst part of my childhood was that my mom did not want to deal with us, ever, and every day was a different day. I never knew what to expect. One day all would be good and another day she would fly off the handle at next to nothing. Corporal punishment was pretty common in those days and I think it gave lazy parents a way out.

I agree that corporal punishment is often a case of parental laziness. Punishment isn't what is supposed to make a kid into a decent person. Consistency in rules, and having responsibilities is what is intended to train a child. It's the same as a puppy; negative reinforcement alone is not going to result in a happy and well-trained dog. Punishments should be rare because the kid knows what is expected of them.

Today's breeders muck it up by having no consistency, consequences, or responsibilities. Punishment is then non-existent or irregular - like when you read on smothering about some kid who has gotten on the breeder's last nerve (due to the breeder taking no corrective action earlier), resulting in the breeder hitting the kid, followed by tearful apology...Seriously, that just sounds like a recipe for preparing for an abuse-reconciliation cycle in a dysfunctional relationship.
October 31, 2019
Bbbutt childrun have no rights. So we need to dedicate the month of June to remind people that childrun can get away with committing crimes against others (teachers or any other adults) because they're childrun. Speciul sneawflacks. Time to raise awareness!

http://www.campaignforyouthjustice.org/across-the-country/item/june-is-children-s-awareness-month
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login