Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anti-vaxers don't want to be called "anti-vaxers" anymore

Posted by Cambion 
Anti-vaxers don't want to be called "anti-vaxers" anymore
December 04, 2019
https://www.boredpanda.com/anti-vaxxers-want-be-called-vaccine-risk-aware/

Apparently, now anti-vaxers think "anti-vax" is too mean and call the term "derogatory, inflammatory, and marginalizes both women and their experiences. It is dismissively simplistic, highly offensive, and largely false." They want to be called "Vaccine Risk Aware."

People predictably jumped all over this and came up with far more accurate terms for these people. I fail to see how "anti-vaccination" is derogatory, inflammatory, marginalizing, offensive, or false. It's the truth - these people are against vaccines.

Too bad their parents weren't anti-vax too. Maybe some of these award winners wouldn't have grown up to be anti-vaxers.
Re: Anti-vaxers don't want to be called "anti-vaxers" anymore
December 05, 2019
I guess with the press they're getting over Samoa right now they're keen for an image change. The fact is, they'd rather have their kids dead than vaccinated, so there's a lot of things we could call them, from "unfit parents" to "ignorant morons" to "medical science deniers" and I sure hope the press opts for one of those over letting them get away with pretending that there's a legitimate scientific debate over the topic of vaccines.
December 05, 2019
Seems like human intelligence peaked and now we're starting to regress with people who think the earth is flat and vaccines are poison. While we're at it, let's go back to using arsenic as a beauty tonic and bloodletting as a cure for everything! Seems to be the path we're on.

I guarantee any parent who has seen their children suffer the effects of a preventable virus like measles or pertussis (who actually care about their kids) would get them vaccinated in hindsight. Because in exchange for a few seconds of pain from a shot and maybe some mild side effects, they make their kids suffer for weeks or possibly months catching the disease in order to have natural immunity. Unless of course they get measles, which is basically the disease equivalent of an OS reinstallation - it erases your body's memory of all immunity.

The "risks" they're so aware of are also insanely rare. Yes, there will be those one or two unfortunate people who have a serious reaction to a vaccine, and I think most of those insanely rare instances are egg allergies. A vast majority of people tolerate vaccines just fine.
December 05, 2019
Cambion
I guarantee any parent who has seen their children suffer the effects of a preventable virus like measles or pertussis (who actually care about their kids) would get them vaccinated in hindsight. Because in exchange for a few seconds of pain from a shot and maybe some mild side effects, they make their kids suffer for weeks or possibly months catching the disease in order to have natural immunity. Unless of course they get measles, which is basically the disease equivalent of an OS reinstallation - it erases your body's memory of all immunity.

Sadly a lot of these assholes are just seeking post-natal abortion of nuisance toddlers.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 05, 2019
anti-vaxxers
call the term "derogatory, inflammatory, and marginalizes both women and their experiences."

Hey, why just women? Men can be idiots, too.

(I realize it's mostly women. I just find it infuriating that they're trying to hide behind feminism to deflect criticism.)
December 06, 2019
kittehpeoples
anti-vaxxers
call the term "derogatory, inflammatory, and marginalizes both women and their experiences."

Hey, why just women? Men can be idiots, too.

(I realize it's mostly women. I just find it infuriating that they're trying to hide behind feminism to deflect criticism.)

As a feminist, there are few things that piss me off more than people who talk about "women's ways of knowing" as if (1) women are inherently different intellectually, and (2) ignorance, superstition and folklore is as valuable as science (or more valuable!). With (1) they're basically agreeing with the misogynists who think that women are less academically capable than men, and with (2) they're trying to elevate the previous point into something good. I don't buy that "separate but equal" crap when it comes to the intellect; it's sexist regardless of whether you use it to elevate or diminish women.

Certainly there are things that women experience that men generally don't: the problems associated with female biology, and sexism. Those experiences are often marginalized, for instance by medical professionals who think women should just ignore horrible cramps, or men who think that women are over-reacting when they complain about cat-calling. But it diminishes these genuine issues to suggest that mundane experiences that are widely faced are gendered/sex-specific.

Just as actions are not inherently feminist because they are being performed by a woman, dismissive treatment of a person is not necessarily sexist just because the person being dismissed is female. Vaccination is one of the areas of medicine that seems blissfully free of sexism because vaccines work the same way on females and males, and if doctors are talking down to anti-vaxxers, it is because they are fucking idiots, not because they're women.
December 06, 2019
I was born in 1950, I never wanted kids. I excelled at math and that was my BS. My career was computer programming.
I fucking hate "other ways of knowing".
December 06, 2019
We can refer to them as "highly curated vaxers"
December 06, 2019
khan
I was born in 1950, I never wanted kids. I excelled at math and that was my BS. My career was computer programming.
I fucking hate "other ways of knowing".

Likewise, I'm in IT and I absolutely loathe that expression. I firmly believe that the universe can only be known through empirical methods, even if some of them are currently (and perhaps forever) beyond human capabilities. All objective knowledge can only be obtained through some version of observation, hypothesis, and prediction, whether formalized as the scientific method or not.

And it really pisses me off when people pretend that having an unfounded belief is in some way equivalent, and represents an equal, opposing side of a debate. There is no "debate" when it comes to the benefits of vaccines, the earth being a sphere, or human-caused climate change. There's simply fact and delusion. This is not to say that science is always right at first, but the only legitimate challenge comes from alternative theories, not from the beliefs of simpletons. The media, which gives these idiots a platform legitimizes the exaltation of ignorance and the denigration of knowledge.

Why should anyone study anything? Let's just do what "feels right" and see how well that serves to feed, house, and clothe us. I'd like to see the internet and GPS run by people with experience in only unscientific "ways of knowing".
December 06, 2019
How about calling them pro-disease or pro-plague?
December 06, 2019
Peace

I like "short bus brigade" myself.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 07, 2019
I think of them as pre-dead.
December 07, 2019
yurble
As a feminist, there are few things that piss me off more than people who talk about "women's ways of knowing" as if (1) women are inherently different intellectually, and (2) ignorance, superstition and folklore is as valuable as science (or more valuable!). With (1) they're basically agreeing with the misogynists who think that women are less academically capable than men, and with (2) they're trying to elevate the previous point into something good. I don't buy that "separate but equal" crap when it comes to the intellect; it's sexist regardless of whether you use it to elevate or diminish women.

Certainly there are things that women experience that men generally don't: the problems associated with female biology, and sexism. Those experiences are often marginalized, for instance by medical professionals who think women should just ignore horrible cramps, or men who think that women are over-reacting when they complain about cat-calling. But it diminishes these genuine issues to suggest that mundane experiences that are widely faced are gendered/sex-specific.

Just as actions are not inherently feminist because they are being performed by a woman, dismissive treatment of a person is not necessarily sexist just because the person being dismissed is female. Vaccination is one of the areas of medicine that seems blissfully free of sexism because vaccines work the same way on females and males, and if doctors are talking down to anti-vaxxers, it is because they are fucking idiots, not because they're women.

This. One of the most annoying types of people to deal with is the one (usually, but not always, a woman) who believes in a bunch of superstitious hoopla such as ghosts, New Age crystal crap, etc., but has no clue about real-world things such as budgeting to pay bills, how their car works, or how to make a minor repair around the house. But this type is legion. And they seem to be most likely to be total anti-vaxxers.
December 07, 2019
“Vaccine risk aware” implies that only they, in their infinite wisdom, understand that there are risks associated with vaccines. Meanwhile, anyone else with half a brain knows that yes, vaccines carry a small risk. There is absolutely nothing in this world that doesn’t carry some sort of risk, and in the case of vaccines it’s well worth that tiny risk to avoid something awful like DYING OF FUCKING POLIO.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
December 14, 2019
Peace

"Plague enthusiasts."
December 15, 2019
Just wait 'til polio comes back because of these assholes. Then I guess we can call them murderers, because their stupid choice not to vax has now caused a fatal disease to come back.
December 17, 2019
LoveToLurk
“Vaccine risk aware” implies that only they, in their infinite wisdom, understand that there are risks associated with vaccines.

And if they were truly "vaccine risk aware," then they would also be aware of just how small the risks associated with vaccines really are. Aside from people with egg allergies or those who are immuno-compromised, the risk to the average person in average health is insanely tiny, both overall and in comparison to catching a preventable disease.

I think "vaccine risk ignorant" can be added to the list of new names for these shitbags since most of them seem to continue to cling to the long since disproven autism/vaccines correlation. Or "moron" works just fine too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login