Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A future star.... of My 600 Pound Life

Posted by ondinette 
A future star.... of My 600 Pound Life
December 22, 2019
I've never seen a child eat so much.

My parents do some volunteer work for a local animal rescue group. Last night the owner gave the volunteers and their families a buffet dinner at an Italian restaurant to celebrate the holidays. I went with them. The person who stood out in the group was a very chubby girl in a polka dot dress. She was about four and a half feet tall, so I'm guessing the oldest she could be is 12. She had a younger brother who was thin and parents who were overweight but not huge.

When the food was brought out and the first person got up to get some this girl was immediately in line behind him. She was the first person to get up for seconds. When I got seconds she was right in front of me getting thirds. I had to wait while she took several portions of lasagna.

Most adults eat more than they need and are fat to some degree, including myself. But this pre-teen kid easily ate more than any adult in the room. The older couple we sat across from ate plenty themselves, but even they commented on this girl. When the desserts were brought out the wife said "she already went through the line 4 times and now she's getting dessert". When it was time to leave I noticed the family had a bunch of take out boxes piled on the table. None of the other family members ate excessively.

It is possible she has some kind of physical or mental disorder and the parents are doing their best to get her appropriate help. But given how shitty most modern parents are it is far more likely they are just negligent. Letting their little piggy keep munching at the trough is just easier than saying no and dealing with a tantrum. I doubt they've thought about the future. If things don't change Piggy will be dead before she's 40 and will need to be put in her grave with a crane.thinks someone else is crazy
Re: A future star.... of My 600 Pound Life
December 22, 2019
I think it is this "no is abusive" kinda culture we are living in. The kid never heard it, so she keeps going. Another kid would keep going with something else.
December 22, 2019
Just another reason why I hate going around people is to see how they behave around communal food. (My in-laws have a lot of problem in this area with double dipping, eschewing serving spoons and using their own forks and knives, yes, the same ones they eat off of, but that's a rant that is going elsewhere.)

The kid has probably never heard no and she also has no manners.

When the food was brought out and the first person got up to get some this girl was immediately in line behind him. When I got seconds she was right in front of me getting thirds. I had to wait while she took several portions of lasagna.

This would never have flown in my world when I was a kid. My parents would not have let me get up until some of the adults ate first. I also would have been advised to take an APPROPRIATE portion because yanno, other people would need to eat. I would not have been allowed to hog the food, period.

When it was time to leave I noticed the family had a bunch of take out boxes piled on the table.

At a restaurant where you are paying for food? Acceptable. At a dinner for volunteers where you pilfer all the food? Tacky beyond belief.

I have a couple of related stories:

1. My former friend's brat daughter: I was at a charity run/walk with Brat Daughter. There was free food at the event and one of the sponsors was Sabra Hummus. Anyway, we were there at the end and Sabra left a HUGE box of individually-bagged pita chips on the table with a note that read "help yourself." People with manners and class who were raised right may have taken a few here and there but BD was like OMG I NEED TO GET SOME OF THESE. She stood by the box and grabbed them by the handful and started stashing them in the stroller with the kid stuffing them in various stroller bags like she was starving. (This woman has a professional job.) I swear she took like 20 bags. I was mortified, and distanced myself from her. I thought it was tacky, not giving anyone else a chance to have some but then again I am an old foagie.

2. The girl in the original story ate the food at least, but I see many Breeders behaving in a wasteful manner around food. When my sister's kids were little they were allowed to order multiple entrees in a restaurant if they couldn't decide and they promptly mutilated the food and didn't take it home. That bothered my mom too.

I guess I am a fossil--I was taught to be mindful of others and not look like a free loading pig.
December 22, 2019
My 70 year old trans uncle who looks like any grey haired dude will do this "all you can eat" restaurant stuff and will go back for fifths and each plate is piled high. He and his wife are now millionaires due to a huge property sale and he will go cheap and then take everything in an all you can eat as no one else existed.
December 23, 2019
bell_flower

When it was time to leave I noticed the family had a bunch of take out boxes piled on the table.

At a restaurant where you are paying for food? Acceptable. At a dinner for volunteers where you pilfer all the food? Tacky beyond belief.

Restaurants with all-you-can-eat buffets generally never allow doggie bags (takeout boxes) from the buffet. From items ordered off a menu, yes, but not from a buffet. The reason is cost control, of course. I can't believe this family was allowed to do this, even though it was a volunteer event.
December 23, 2019
Agreed. I forgot to note that. If I'm paying for an entrée, I'm going to take it home and I usually do because most restaurant portions are pretty big.

I hardly ever go to buffets because I don't like "all you can eat" places.

Buffets are different stories, and the original situation is indeed appalling.
December 23, 2019
There's another issue to be raised here. We had threads about this subject a long time ago.

Just as the authorities would get involved if parents were starving a child, this example is why authorities should intervene if a child is grossly obese. Those are two sides of the same coin. Starvation and morbid obesity are forms of abuse or, at least, neglect. IIRC (haven't yet searched), the past threads discussed instances of CPS going after parents of horribly fat (400+ lb) kids.

My favorite restaurant is Italian and has an excellent lunch buffet. I don't touch the lasagna because it's so filling and heavy—and I'm a big guy. It's hard to imagine a child loading a plate with that, eating it all, and going back to the buffet for more.

I wonder whether the girl is a tard, is on the autism spectrum, or has some other mental issue, because you see gorging and obesity more in such people.
December 23, 2019
This reminds me how gross buffets are.

There isn't conclusive proof (AFAIK) that overeating as a kid will result in an overweight adult but why would a decent parent allow their kid 5 plates of food? That is insanity and likely child abuse. If she really has a bottomless stomach then bring the poor kid to the doctor and find out if there is a medical reason for it. There are drugs to increase satiety if she has a medical issue.

One of my siblings was encouraged to be a chronic over-eater and she is the only one in my family who struggles with a weight problem, as in usually 100 lbs. overweight. It horrified me as a kid because we weighed the same despite her being a toddler and me starting puberty. The rest of us may have to cut back here and there but all of us are in the normal weight range.

I see more overweight kids today than thin ones. I think it is the "no is abusive" culture which cfdavep mentioned.
December 23, 2019
freya
This reminds me how gross buffets are.

There isn't conclusive proof (AFAIK) that overeating as a kid will result in an overweight adult but why would a decent parent allow their kid 5 plates of food? That is insanity and likely child abuse. If she really has a bottomless stomach then bring the poor kid to the doctor and find out if there is a medical reason for it. There are drugs to increase satiety if she has a medical issue.

One of my siblings was encouraged to be a chronic over-eater and she is the only one in my family who struggles with a weight problem, as in usually 100 lbs. overweight. It horrified me as a kid because we weighed the same despite her being a toddler and me starting puberty. The rest of us may have to cut back here and there but all of us are in the normal weight range.

I see more overweight kids today than thin ones. I think it is the "no is abusive" culture which cfdavep mentioned.

Plastic in the food supply, (not on the food but microscopically in the food) is causing this runaway obesity. There are no definite connections made by researchers yet, but you are being altered from the inside out. Some are more sensitive to this contamination than others, as is with all contaminations.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 23, 2019
craftyzits
Plastic in the food supply, (not on the food but microscopically in the food) is causing this runaway obesity. There are no definite connections made by researchers yet, but you are being altered from the inside out. Some are more sensitive to this contamination than others, as is with all contaminations.

Or it could be portion size. The little girl conservatively consumed at least 5000 calories with her five plates of food.

A portion size of meat or bread is about the size of a fist. A serving of pasta is the size of a tennis ball. Cheese the size of a finger or matchbox. Vegetables double fists.Those king sized bagels they sell at the grocery store? At least 4 servings. I've read the average person spends $3000 a year dining out (this seems shocking to me). Source: https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/consumer-expenditures/2015/pdf/home.pdf. I would guess there are business travelers skewing the numbers up a bit. This is an average across all units (people living together or alone, all incomes).

But honestly, how many people really divide a half gallon of ice cream into 32 half-cup servings? I think 10 servings is much more realistic. And a half cup serving looks tiny if you're using those Paul Bunyan sized bowls they sell.

Have you seen the restaurant menus that include the caloric data? Good luck finding many meal options under 1000 calories and that is nearly 50% of the recommended intake for sedentary adults.
December 23, 2019
The owner made reservations for 25 people and that is about how many showed up. This is a small organization. The restaurant probably made a certain amount of food for the group and wanted to err on the side of too much rather than risk not having enough. People were encouraged to take stuff home so it wouldn't go to waste. I'm sure the rules are different when a restaurant does a buffet for an unknown number of people. Still, even when the food is abundant it is rude to make such a super obvious pig of yourself like that girl, and her family with tons of takeout.
December 23, 2019
freya
craftyzits

Or it could be portion size. The little girl conservatively consumed at least 5000 calories with her five plates of food.

A portion size of meat or bread is about the size of a fist. A serving of pasta is the size of a tennis ball. Cheese the size of a finger or matchbox. Vegetables double fists.Those king sized bagels they sell at the grocery store? At least 4 servings. I've read the average person spends $3000 a year dining out (this seems shocking to me). Source: https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/consumer-expenditures/2015/pdf/home.pdf. I would guess there are business travelers skewing the numbers up a bit. This is an average across all units (people living together or alone, all incomes).

But honestly, how many people really divide a half gallon of ice cream into 32 half-cup servings? I think 10 servings is much more realistic. And a half cup serving looks tiny if you're using those Paul Bunyan sized bowls they sell.

Have you seen the restaurant menus that include the caloric data? Good luck finding many meal options under 1000 calories and that is nearly 50% of the recommended intake for sedentary adults.

The problem is that when you consume plastic your hormones are fucked. You have no ability to feel full, and you are ALWAYS hungry if you are hyper sensitive.

I'm willing to bet this little girl's hormones have been fucked since birth for other reasons as well, she didn't have a chance. I am equally fucked in exactly the same way so I have some empathy for this child. She is hungry all the time, without end. Hunger can be as painful as a migraine, and putting someone on a diet who feels this continuously is cruel. You cannot think when you feel this way, you cannot focus. When you feel this way, suicide starts to look REALLY good. I've been there.

This child's parents may realize this. She is probably looking at a stomach bypass in her teens.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 24, 2019
Prader-Willi Syndrome, perhaps?
December 24, 2019
Medusa
Prader-Willi Syndrome, perhaps?

Yes. Only the parents are too stupid to suspect it, or want to face it.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 27, 2019
kman
There's another issue to be raised here. We had threads about this subject a long time ago.

Just as the authorities would get involved if parents were starving a child, this example is why authorities should intervene if a child is grossly obese. Those are two sides of the same coin. Starvation and morbid obesity are forms of abuse or, at least, neglect. IIRC (haven't yet searched), the past threads discussed instances of CPS going after parents of horribly fat (400+ lb) kids.

Finally looked for related threads. Here are examples:

http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,164363,164363#msg-164363

http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,213882,213882#msg-213882
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login