Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pressured to give a parent your sick days

Posted by cfdavep 
Pressured to give a parent your sick days
December 25, 2019
https://old.reddit.com/r/NEET/comments/efiiuq/its_gonna_be_a_yikes_from_me/

I found this out there. A teacher had a kid and the kid developed cancer, so co-workers pitched in and helped with their sick days. I was wondering how this would affect the cf and if they would be expected to give even more even t hough this guy decided to breed and did take this chance?
Re: Pressured to give a parent your sick days
December 25, 2019
https://old.reddit.com/r/MurderedByWords/comments/ef9u1v/working_class_tales/

This is where it originally came from, the comments are completely on the side of the guy. As tragic as it is, I guess he never thought things could go south the way it did. Some places won't allow other co-workers to give away sick days
December 25, 2019
We have a sick bank, but it is completely voluntary. I wasn't pressured at all to donate sick time to the bank.
December 27, 2019
I had a similar thing happen to me at the school district where I used to work. A teacher needed sick time for their kid with cancer, so their friend teachers to it upon themselves to visit all of the other schools in the district and beg for people to donate their sick days. It was my first or second year teaching, but I didn’t. I don’t think a lot of people did, honestly. Sick days were like gold to the teachers in my district.

On one hand, I hate that America is so fucked up that people literally have to beg for time off to care for a sick relative. On the other hand, nobody would have given a shit if it wasn’t a sick kid.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
December 29, 2019
I have never felt pressured to donate my sick days, regardless of the cause. Usually the request is a brief mass email that isn't a big sob story, just something like "(Name) is in need pf sick days because (reason). If you'd like to donate yours, contact (other name). If you want to help in other ways, contact (people who are collecting meals or what have you).
December 30, 2019
My employer will not allow you to donate your sick leave, but you can donate your vacation time.

I have donated before, but it was to adults who needed it for themselves. It just worked out that way.

I do not do it anymore because I'm doing the aging parent thing and I never know when I'll have to take off for that.
December 30, 2019
Thank goodness we have short term disability at my workplace to keep this crap away.

I've worked at two places that we were pressured into donating our sick time (and under even more pressure to donate to charities) but you may as well have handed over all your sick time anyways. At the worst of the two companies they would send out a nice email requesting us to give up sick time/donate to charities/whatever. When they received less than an enthusiastic response they'd make us spend all of our lunch times being lectured and pressured into donating. They'd also make us have team huddles so they could pressure us throughout the workday, increasing the frequency to try to get us to give money. This would continue until anyone without brats gave in or at least the majority gave in. At one point they actually used this same tactic with getting us to donate money for birthday cakes! It got to the point where they would demand at least $5 once a week for some stupid cake. And none of us (except management) made much money.

Parents were allowed to take sick time for any reason but if you were not a parent they would ride your ass until you'd rather show up at work with the flu.
December 30, 2019
I am very familiar with a person who was in similar situation with an injured young adult child.

She very much abused all company, insurance benefits and donated co-worker's sick and vacation time for a sob-story that had a basis in truth but was severely exaggerated or had twisted elements for maximum sympathy.

She cashed in big time with many hundreds of thousands of dollars in either goods or free time (ie paid for work time but on lengthy vacations) but was extremely resentful when the freebie train only lasted a few years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login