Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atlantic laments the change in family structures

Posted by fleur 
Atlantic laments the change in family structures
February 16, 2020
Link

We’ve made life freer for individuals and more unstable for families. We’ve made life better for adults but worse for children. We’ve moved from big, interconnected, and extended families, which helped protect the most vulnerable people in society from the shocks of life, to smaller, detached nuclear families (a married couple and their children), which give the most privileged people in society room to maximize their talents and expand their options.

Over the past two generations, families have also gotten a lot smaller. The general American birth rate is half of what it was in 1960. In 2012, most American family households had no children. There are more American homes with pets than with kids. In 1970, about 20 percent of households had five or more people. As of 2012, only 9.6 percent did.

We’re likely living through the most rapid change in family structure in human history. The causes are economic, cultural, and institutional all at once.

Sounds great to me. Thats a sign of a progressive society. About kids doing worst today, isn't that a change in parenting? Why should relatives be responsible for brats? Just pay basic guaranteed income so everyone can be independent and not have to depend on relatives.

Honestly, I see no problem with the change in family structures over last century. It gives the CF the freedom to not associate or be responsible for family. Not everyone has good relationship with their family. And we know if CF/CL were forced to live in extended family breeder relatives would probably be taking advantage of them constantly. Breeders don't believe CF deserve anything. Who says family is always good?

But on average, children of single parents or unmarried cohabiting parents tend to have worse health outcomes, worse mental-health outcomes, less academic success, more behavioral problems, and higher truancy rates than do children living with their two married biological parents.
Maybe its just the parunts raising the kyds or other factors besides lack of marriage.
Re: Atlantic laments the change in family structures
February 16, 2020
What complete and utter bollocks!

How in the hell is life better for adults and worse for children?? The little fuckers get to go everywhere and do whatever the fuck they want because people mistake physical discipline for abuse, gentle discipline became trendy and some breeders whelp for money.

Breeders and brats get ALL the financial assistance, ALL the societal acceptance and ALL the charity help that they don't fucking deserve half the time.

You don't see protests and public screeching when kid only things exist, but dare to even breathe the words adult only and they get their pants yanked right up their ass crack over it.

More breeder brained twaddle aimed at trying to guilt gullible young women into shitting a few nuggets out because they don't get accurate representation of the CF life.
February 16, 2020
tons of people live in rosy views of the past, and the extended family myth. Anyone who has read Dickens or many other realistic books about the past KNOW how badly many many adults, elders and children were actually treated! There were a couple of books alone that I read with details of how widows were treated after their husbands died, under the "male relative inherits all" system. And the workhouses for the homeless---sheesh! As Lurker pointed out, kids now are indulged to the ruination of their personalities. Just view commercial TV for an hour or so. One commercial has the Moo having to take a pain reliever because she gets down on her hands and knees and lets the little assholes---oops--darlings JUMP all over her. Many others feature the brats using the furniture as trampolines!! Are there any adults here who wouldn't have gotten yelled at or punished for ruining the furniture like that?!!
February 16, 2020
Wowza, what a bunch of bullshit-spackled rose colored glasses stuff! To paraphrase Billy Joel, the good ol' days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

I'd argue that life for adults AND kids has improved....in the US at least...can't speak for other places. 100 years ago, far fewer adults were finishing high school, women had JUST barely gotten the right to vote, kids were abused and exploited and there were no child abuse or child labor laws, and people of all ages were at far greater risk of death from accidents and disease because safety and risk mansgement kind of weren't a thing, especially compared to today. There was no minimum wage.

Kids weren't necessarily being raised by this entire tribe of benevolent adults. They were more likely to have their moms dead from childbirth, their dads scarpered off (no child support enforcement back then; abandonment was "poor man's divorce"), and be raised by whatever relative would take them in.

Living nearly family had some positive sides, but that's under the assumption that the family was functional. Many weren't. Many aren't today. BUT...people are more likely to be able to get away from those family members that aren't. Women were fucking stuck, as domestic violence laws did not exist and they could not even have a bank account. So yeah, if they didn't fucking die in childbirth they were more likely to raise those kids near family because leaving was HARD.

But on average, children of single parents or unmarried cohabiting parents tend to have worse health outcomes, worse mental-health outcomes, less academic success, more behavioral problems, and higher truancy rates than do children living with their two married biological parents.

Worse health outcomes are linked to a broken health system and a minimum wage that has not kept up with the cost of living. Single parents are having to work two or three jobs and never see their kids as a result. So yeah, behavior's gonna be a problem when they have less face time with their kids. I am not straight-up anti single parent. I am in favor of kids living in the healthiest possible household, and sometimes that means with only one parent. But given a healthy relationship, two parents has got to be a better configuration for the adults' mental health. Kids are exhausting and parents need to have someone to back them up and be the cavalry.
February 17, 2020
reeniebessagain
tons of people live in rosy views of the past, and the extended family myth. Anyone who has read Dickens or many other realistic books about the past KNOW how badly many many adults, elders and children were actually treated!

Or, for that matter, just read about Dickens, who tossed out his wife and kept her away from their children, so he could chase after an 18-year-old actress. Oh, and her sister decided to keep living with him as a caretaker, so yeah, great family solidarity.

I, for one, have zero interest in exchanging my individual freedom for some grand commune of family obligations. My family is pretty good compared to a lot of the ones I hear about here, but I still wouldn't have been able to pursue my own life if only because of location - hard to get a higher education when you're living in a rural area.

I'm not entirely opposed to collectivism. I think that realizing we're all in it together is the only possible hope for addressing the environmental issues facing us. (And I think we're fucked, in that regard.) But I have yet to hear of a system that strongly values the family which doesn't completely crush the aspirations of most members, especially women, upon whom most of the burden of caring falls.
February 17, 2020
My family is TINY, as other than myself there are just two members. Three if you step outside blood as my mother had a foster daughter. All three have their own lives, we commune if you will on Facebook. Two live in California, one in Nevada, I live in Arizona. All of us are child free.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
February 18, 2020

For a time, it all seemed to work. From 1950 to 1965, divorce rates dropped, fertility rates rose, and the American nuclear family seemed to be in wonderful shape. And most people seemed prosperous and happy. In these years, a kind of cult formed around this type of family—what McCall’s, the leading women’s magazine of the day, called “togetherness.” Healthy people lived in two-parent families. In a 1957 survey, more than half of the respondents said that unmarried people were “sick,” “immoral,” or “neurotic."

Most people seemed happy? 'Healthy' people lived in two parent families? What is the basis for those statements? Whut? And way to go on the demonization of people who were not wed and bred.

For one thing, most women were relegated to the home. Many corporations, well into the mid-20th century, barred married women from employment: Companies would hire single women, but if those women got married, they would have to quit. Demeaning and disempowering treatment of women was rampant. Women spent enormous numbers of hours trapped inside the home under the headship of their husband, raising children.

Sounds like a MAGA wet dream: relegate women to the home, barefoot and pregnant, and unable to support themselves so they cannot run away.

During this period, a certain family ideal became engraved in our minds: a married couple with 2.5 kids. When we think of the American family, many of us still revert to this ideal. When we have debates about how to strengthen the family, we are thinking of the two-parent nuclear family, with one or two kids, probably living in some detached family home on some suburban street. We take it as the norm, even though this wasn’t the way most humans lived during the tens of thousands of years before 1950, and it isn’t the way most humans have lived during the 55 years since 1965.

Why on Earth do we still idolize the fambilee unit? Families are made of people, so families are only as good as the people who comprise those families. My DH's great grandmother was married off at age 13 to a 28 year old man who drank and ran around on her during their entire marriage. He came home long enough to get her pregnant but was gone most of the time while she and the kids lived in a home with no indoor plumbing until 1976. Yes, they were a family, but the kids and the mother were understandably not happy to grow up in dirt poor conditions with no escape.

Yet politicians, MAGA people and Dr. Whora seem to want to go back to 1950*. It won't ever be 1950 again, and that's probably a good thing.

*Note about Dr. Whora: I get it that if a family is going to have kids, both parents should stick around and raise them. I just don't understand why being mawied and childed is revered over other states. Why does the U.S. tax code keep giving money to fambilees and married people? Being single is just as legitimate of a choice as being mawied. it's not as if there is a brat shortage right now.
February 18, 2020
bell_flower

*Note about Dr. Whora: I get it that if a family is going to have kids, both parents should stick around and raise them. I just don't understand why being mawied and childed is revered over other states. Why does the U.S. tax code keep giving money to fambilees and married people? Being single is just as legitimate of a choice as being mawied. it's not as if there is a brat shortage right now.

There is a shortage of WHITE brats. And if you sell women into slavory, that makes half the USA's population easy to control. The other problem population, the disabled and elderly will be (if possible) simply neglected until they are rotting somewhere.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
February 20, 2020
randomcfchick
Wowza, what a bunch of bullshit-spackled rose colored glasses stuff! To paraphrase Billy Joel, the good ol' days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

I'd argue that life for adults AND kids has improved....in the US at least...can't speak for other places. 100 years ago, far fewer adults were finishing high school, women had JUST barely gotten the right to vote, kids were abused and exploited and there were no child abuse or child labor laws, and people of all ages were at far greater risk of death from accidents and disease because safety and risk mansgement kind of weren't a thing, especially compared to today. There was no minimum wage.

Kids weren't necessarily being raised by this entire tribe of benevolent adults. They were more likely to have their moms dead from childbirth, their dads scarpered off (no child support enforcement back then; abandonment was "poor man's divorce"), and be raised by whatever relative would take them in.

Living nearly family had some positive sides, but that's under the assumption that the family was functional. Many weren't. Many aren't today. BUT...people are more likely to be able to get away from those family members that aren't. Women were fucking stuck, as domestic violence laws did not exist and they could not even have a bank account. So yeah, if they didn't fucking die in childbirth they were more likely to raise those kids near family because leaving was HARD.

Don’t forget the Orphan Train. What a good thing that was, rounding up the unwanted kids in East Coast cities and shipping them to rural areas where many “adoptive parents” saw them as nothing more than free farm labor.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login